REPORT: TOL Statement of faith

Crow

Aimiel said:
Maybe we should have all members who wish to 'profess' Christianity take the TOL Statement of Faith seriously enough to agree with it. Anyone who doesn't shouldn't be allowed to pretend that they are Christian, at least on TOL.

So, do you think we should kick Old Earth Creationists off the Christian list?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Aimiel said:
Simple, ask the Christians on TOL to report anyone whose profile proclaims, "Christian," who isn't posting threads which are in agreement with the doctrine stated in the Statement of Faith. If they don't retract their post, they'll have to be changed to something other than Christian, until they accpet the tenets of the Christian faith.
Could they call themselves "Christian(other)"?
or do you want them to completely use another category?

Aimiel

Crow said:
So, do you think we should kick Old Earth Creationists off the Christian list?
If they don't line up, they're not enduring sound doctrine, they ought not to be allowed to claim the name of Jesus.

Aimiel

kmoney said:
Could they call themselves "Christian(other)"?
or do you want them to completely use another category?
There's too many (Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, Branch Davidians, etc.) who would abuse the Christian (other) category. I don't even think it belongs. Either you're Christian, or you've accepted un-sound doctrine as Christianity. That's what I think.

SOTK

Do the moderators have to completely subscribe to the TOL statement of faith to become moderators?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Aimiel said:
There's too many (Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, Branch Davidians, etc.) who would abuse the Christian (other) category. I don't even think it belongs. Either you're Christian, or you've accepted un-sound doctrine as Christianity. That's what I think.
While I think your idea is a potentially good one I'm not sure how it would work. If they don't just use the "other" part of Christian we'd have to have a bunch more names and even then some people just wouldn't fit any so we'd have to keep the "other" category. I guess from looking at the Statement of Faith the biggest problem would maybe be, like Crow brought up, old earth vs. new earth. Other than that most people probably don't deny things in it.

Crow

Aimiel said:
If they don't line up, they're not enduring sound doctrine, they ought not to be allowed to claim the name of Jesus.
I'm OEC, Aimiel. So y'all make your case that I am not saved nor a Christian.

Greywolf

Aimiel said:

Maybe there could be a TOL Certified Christian™ option. :think:

SOTK

Crow said:

I was once an OEC. Whether you are OEC or YEC is of no consequence. It's non-salvific. I don't think Aimiel was suggesting that it is.

You are definitely saved in my book (not that what I have to say even matters). :)

Crow

kmoney said:
How old is "old"?

As in way older than 6000 years.

And you know something? I'm saved by the grace which came from Him with my belief in Christ as my Savior, not in how I interpret the length of the days referred to in the Genesis account, nor in Aimiel's interpretation of what constitutes a Christian.

SOTK

Crow said:

And you know something? I'm saved by the grace which came with my belief in Christ as my Savior, not in how I interpret the length of the days referred to in the Genesis account, nor in Aimiel's interpretation of what constitutes a Christian.

:up:

Yep, we are all saved by grace!

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Crow said:

And you know something? I'm saved by the grace which came from Him with my belief in Christ as my Savior, not in how I interpret the length of the days referred to in the Genesis account, nor in Aimiel's interpretation of what constitutes a Christian.
I was not about to question your salvation. I was just asking a question....

Crow

kmoney said:
I was not about to question your salvation. I was just asking a question....

I understand. I just get kind hot when people start this kind of mess.

Christians are Christians by receiving grace by their faith in Christ as their Savior. And we all don't believe or interpret everything the same way. Agreeing with one another in every point of doctrine is not what makes us Christian or otherwise.

The webmaster stated the beliefs of the owners of this site. And I believe pretty much as they do, but I am OEC. It is possible for most Christians to disagree on some of the non-salvic issues and recognize each other as "real" Christians. Most.

koban

Aimiel said:
Simple, ask the Christians on TOL to report anyone whose profile proclaims, "Christian," who isn't posting threads which are in agreement with the doctrine stated in the Statement of Faith. If they don't retract their post, they'll have to be changed to something other than Christian, until they accpet the tenets of the Christian faith.

Sounds like we could just call them TOLians and be done with it.

or Aimielians :think:

GuySmiley

Crow said:
How old do you have to be to be an old earth creationist? I'm 35, but I still feel like a young creationist.

Lovejoy

GuySmiley said:
How old do you have to be to be an old earth creationist? I'm 35, but I still feel like a young creationist.
As far as I am concerned, the universe is just over 32 years old, and anyone who says it is older than that (like those of you who, insanely, maintain that it is at least 35) are to be regarded with suspicion.

Crow

Funny, Lovejoy.

OK, I appreciate the humor, folks, but let's not post any more of it in here. Knight would not want us (myself included) to spam this thread.

:crow:

Aimiel

Crow said:
I don't see that as an issue, neither do I see what you believe to be un-sound doctrine. I'm pretty much in the 'who cares' ballpark on that one. I believe what God said, although He never told us what (exactly) the terms 'without form and void' mean. It could mean that the earth was created, but not pressed into His 'cookie-cutter' yet, and we don't know how long before He began creation that it was 'void.'