Is Baptism a requirement for Salvation

Cntrysner

Just a quick question to anyone....

Does my wedding ring make me married, or is it a symbol of something?

I did get baptized when I was 25. Did it save me? No. But it did symbolize to other like minded brothers and sisters that I gave myself over to Jesus' lordship over me.

It does symbolise to a secular world but is is supposed to be of no effect if the flesh profits nothing.

Cntrysner

I believe John the Baptist's baptism and what happened in acts 2:38 are different in certain respects.

Paul baptized those in Ephesus after they told him they were baptized by John's baptism....

Yeah but, what did Christ say or what did John say about water baptism?

What respects?

Cntrysner

The secular world doesn't care if I am baptized or not....they think it is a glorified bath.

You are missing the point, why baptise in water at all if the flesh or any work you can do profits nothing?

If it profits nothing and then those unaware could include the ritual as part of salvation could they not?

drbrumley

You are missing the point, why baptise in water at all if the flesh or any work you can do profits nothing?

If it profits nothing and then those unaware could include the ritual as part of salvation could they not?

Nah, Im not missing your point....

I dont consider what I did a work to be saved...

I did because Jesus did, and everyone knows without a doubt Jesus certainly didn't need to be either.

Cntrysner

Just a quick question to anyone....

Does my wedding ring make me married, or is it a symbol of something?

I did get baptized when I was 25. Did it save me? No. But it did symbolize to other like minded brothers and sisters that I gave myself over to Jesus' lordship over me.

Think of circumcision, was it required and by whose hand? How can you use circumcision to be symbolic to your brothers and sisters? You have to be baptised and circumcised, don't you know that.

drbrumley

Paul did not "rebaptize" those 12. That is another misreading of that passage.

#1...You dont know that, and I dont know that.

#2...How can it be classified "rebaptized" if that baptism doesn't have the same purpose as like what John did? To my mind, saying he "rebaptized" means he did exactly like John, and for the same purpose...John's baptism was for the remission of sins...Paul, as far as I can tell, never uttered a word about baptism for the remission of sins. But that it symbolized the death, burial and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ.

I could be wrong...but my take as I said above in my previous post is to me, it is a symbol or I identify myself with Jesus. I'm not ashamed of it. Like my wedding ring, I identify with my wife....it doesn't mean my wedding ring means Im married...it symbolizes I am....

drbrumley

Think of circumcision, was it required and by whose hand? How can you use circumcision to be symbolic to your brothers and sisters? You have to be baptised and circumcised, don't you know that.

circumsion was required for the jews…..I am not a Jew though so it has no bearing on me.

Cntrysner

The secular world doesn't care if I am baptized or not....they think it is a glorified bath.

Paul water baptized but was Acts 2:38 wrong when it states water baptism was for remission of sins?

1Co 1:16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.
1Co 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

Paul had many revelations during his ministry.

drbrumley

Paul water baptized but was Acts 2:38 wrong when it states water baptism was for remission of sins?

1Co 1:16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.
1Co 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

Paul had many revelations during his ministry.

Amen...what Paul said is correct....and I believe is all of our mission, "to preach the gospel" If I was a pastor, minister what have you, I wouldn't be sent to baptize either but to preach the gospel...

If one wants to be baptized, I have no issue with it...

Cntrysner

#1...You dont know that, and I dont know that.

#2...How can it be classified "rebaptized" if that baptism doesn't have the same purpose as like what John did? To my mind, saying he "rebaptized" means he did exactly like John, and for the same purpose...John's baptism was for the remission of sins...Paul, as far as I can tell, never uttered a word about baptism for the remission of sins. But that it symbolized the death, burial and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ.

I could be wrong...but my take as I said above in my previous post is to me, it is a symbol or I identify myself with Jesus. I'm not ashamed of it. Like my wedding ring, I identify with my wife....it doesn't mean my wedding ring means Im married...it symbolizes I am....

We are speaking about salvation and signs of it.

Paul said..
1Co 1:22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
1Co 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

drbrumley

We are speaking about salvation and signs of it.

Paul said..
1Co 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

Then why argue with me....I never said baptism is a requirement for salvation...as a matter of fact, I said baptism doesn't save anyone...

Cntrysner

Amen...what Paul said is correct....and I believe is all of our mission, "to preach the gospel" If I was a pastor, minister what have you, I wouldn't be sent to baptize either but to preach the gospel...

If one wants to be baptized, I have no issue with it...

I think you should have an issue with it, it was a sign to Israel (Jews). We don't want or need to revert back.

Cntrysner

Then why argue with me....I never said baptism is a requirement for salvation...as a matter of fact, I said baptism doesn't save anyone...

Paul said..

You hold water baptism as a sign don't you?

drbrumley

Paul said..

You hold water baptism as a sign don't you?

A sign of what?

Are you married? if so, why wear your wedding ring?