How can a Chinese Christian explain to nonbelievers, Christianity is not supersition?

bling

I teach a Bible class each week for open minded highly interested well educated non-Christian Chinese at a local college, who will most will likely return to Communist China. They know few Christians in China especially those who live in Beijing where there are only strong government supporters. They along with all their friends and family have been taught: “All religions are just superstitions”, but they are not all buying into that, so how can they reach the point of simply explain to their friends, the difference between a superstition and Christianity. Lots of people in China have crosses and even Bibles, but use them as good luck charms and they are not Christians.
The friends of my students have not been given logical support showing Christianity is a superstition, but have not heard any support to show Christianity is not a superstition.
What I am looking for is some one-minute thought provoking statement or question my students, who will most likely become Christian, can give to their friend back in China that will open a dialog on Christianity.

Gary K

Banned
I teach a Bible class each week for open minded highly interested well educated non-Christian Chinese at a local college, who will most will likely return to Communist China. They know few Christians in China especially those who live in Beijing where there are only strong government supporters. They along with all their friends and family have been taught: “All religions are just superstitions”, but they are not all buying into that, so how can they reach the point of simply explain to their friends, the difference between a superstition and Christianity. Lots of people in China have crosses and even Bibles, but use them as good luck charms and they are not Christians.
The friends of my students have not been given logical support showing Christianity is a superstition, but have not heard any support to show Christianity is not a superstition.
What I am looking for is some one-minute thought provoking statement or question my students, who will most likely become Christian, can give to their friend back in China that will open a dialog on Christianity.

I have read this and thought about it quite a bit. I don't think that words are the best arguments. They can be controverted, twisted, and denied. I would say that living the Christian life and thus following the footsteps of Jesus is the best, and only real-life, evidence that Christianity is not a superstition, but a life changing concept/paradigm. No sound bite will ever equal the influence of actually being the light on the hill or being the salt of the earth because Jesus is dwelling within.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Ask them which of all the religions of the world claim to be exclusive, and has it's founder raising himself from the dead.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
With the gospel. That will offend them, at which point they either leave (psychologically, emotionally or physically) or convert.

And it's good for the teacher too: You can tell whether you're potentially teaching the truth by whether people are complaining. If they're not, you're definitely not. :)

bling

I have read this and thought about it quite a bit. I don't think that words are the best arguments. They can be controverted, twisted, and denied. I would say that living the Christian life and thus following the footsteps of Jesus is the best, and only real-life, evidence that Christianity is not a superstition, but a life changing concept/paradigm. No sound bite will ever equal the influence of actually being the light on the hill or being the salt of the earth because Jesus is dwelling within.

The first comment after they tell their friends they have become a Christian is often: "Is Christianity just superstition, so how would you answer that with more than just "No"?

Gary K

Banned
The first comment after they tell their friends they have become a Christian is often: "Is Christianity just superstition, so how would you answer that with more than just "No"?

My experience with God and His power to change my life. After that it's simply a matter of living out the principles of God's kingdom in our lives. It will then become self-evident that Christianity is not a superstition.

I think any interaction in what you describe requires a lot of prayer and faith in God, as well as a close personal connection with God. The Holy Spirit is the only person who can give us the right words to say at the right time as He knows the hearts, lives, thinking, experiences, etc... of the person to whom we are witnessing. There's no other way to know exactly what to say than to just trust God for the words to say as they will be different with every person.

Jesus said the following:
Matthew 10: [FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][SIZE=+1]17[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=&quot] And, take ye heed of men, for they will give you up to sanhedrims, and in their synagogues they will scourge you, [/FONT][FONT=&quot][SIZE=+1]18[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=&quot] and before governors and kings ye shall be brought for my sake, for a testimony to them and to the nations. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][SIZE=+1]19[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=&quot] `And whenever they may deliver you up, be not anxious how or what ye may speak, for it shall be given you in that hour what ye shall speak; [/FONT][FONT=&quot][SIZE=+1]20[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=&quot] for ye are not the speakers, but the Spirit of your Father that is speaking in you. [/FONT]

Yes, I know the promise is given for a specific time and place, but I believe it is also applicable for instances like you are describing. It is the Holy Spirit that can give us the right words to say. Look at Peter's experience on the day of Pentacost. It was simple speech, but it was inspired by the Holy Spirit and set home in Peter's listeners as it cut them to the quick and they wanted to know how to get right with God.

I have had multiple experiences like this in my life where I'm talking to someone I don't really know, and something spiritual comes out of my mouth that has me thinking, where did that come from? And the other person will say, someone who apparently has no interest in God, I've been thinking about that and wondering about that. It has often turned into an off the cuff Bible study and the person walked away thanking me for my help. I wasn't looking to witness. It just happened I was in the right place at the right time and God used me. We can't use God, God has to use us. When it happens it's one of those things that makes my day like no other thing possibly can. I go away with my heart singing for days.

If your students want to witness, and they build a good relationship God they will find opportunities as God will prepare the hearts of those He is drawing to Him and if your students have a strong desire to help their fellow man to know God, that will happen for them.

Don't worry about soundbites. Focus on the relationship with God and trusting Him to do that which we cannot know how to do. God's word will not return unto Him void. It will accomplish what He sends it out to do.

DougE

Acts 17:22 Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.

17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

17:31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

Tell them there are religions based on superstition but God no longer makes allowance for them.

Show them that God acknowledges the superstitious but He commands accountability to the reality of Christ and his resurrection.

Christ's resurrection assures that this is not another superstition.

Nang

TOL Subscriber

There is no such thing as a clever or provoking statement/question that will open a dialog on Christianity.

Only a forceful denial that Christianity is superstition and a suggestion to turning the mind to the Holy Scriptures will produce spiritual results.

The arguments of faithful Christian cannot convince the superstitious or skeptics of their misconceptions of God. Only the Holy Spirit can work this kind of miracle (John 16:8-15), and He works through the preaching and reading of the Word of God alone.

Any verse of Scripture holds this salvific power if it is applied to an unbelieving heart by the Spirit of God.

All Christians must trust and utilize the Scriptures as witness, without hesitation or fail.

Stuu

Tell them that christians believe that if you don't devote yourself completely to celebrating the historical killing of a man then you will be punished by an invisible god.

Then they will understand that christianity is not a superstition.

Stuart

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Tell them that christians believe that if you don't devote yourself completely to celebrating the historical killing of a man then you will be punished by an invisible god.

Stuu exposes his utter ignorance of what Christianity is.

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank

Then they will understand that christianity is not a superstition.

Stuart

Interesting. Here, you admit that the crucifixion of Jesus is an historical event. A while back, however, you said:

No, actually it doesn't matter to me whether Jesus existed or not.

Why do you, on the one hand, pretend not to believe that Jesus existed, whereas, on the other, you admit that He was put to death? What you're trying to hand us amounts to this:

"Jesus may not have existed, but He was crucified."

Are you really content with wasting your mind by the committment to irrationality that you express on TOL?

By the way: as an open, proud, Christ-hater, you're DEFINITELY a troll on this particular thread... There is no way that you can, having read the OP, say--without lying--that you think that what you've written in this thread is even the least bit apropos to what the poster requested in the OP.

Stuu

Interesting.
Thank you.
Here, you admit that the crucifixion of Jesus is an historical event.
Yes, I think that is a reasonable conclusion, on balance.
A while back, however, you said:
Stuu: No, actually it doesn't matter to me whether Jesus existed or not.
Why do you, on the one hand, pretend not to believe that Jesus existed, whereas, on the other, you admit that He was put to death? What you're trying to hand us amounts to this:
"Jesus may not have existed, but He was crucified."
I think you will find that is a non-sequitur. Or a strawman argument. Or possibly a non-sequitur built on a strawman.
Are you really content with wasting your mind by the committment to irrationality that you express on TOL?
Judging by your enthusiasm for equivocation and strawman arguments, of the two of us it doesn't appear to be me who has committed to irrationality.
By the way: as an open, proud, Christ-hater, you're DEFINITELY a troll on this particular thread... There is no way that you can, having read the OP, say--without lying--that you think that what you've written in this thread is even the least bit apropos to what the poster requested in the OP.
'Troll' is in the eye of the beholder. One man's troll is another man's saviour, and I think as a christian you should consider the alleged words and actions of Jesus in relation to that concept. Do you not accept there is a case that the writer of the OP may need saving from christianity?

If you don't think christianity is a superstition, even though it fits perfectly into most of the senses of that word as defined in the Oxford Concise, you are welcome to contribute a reasoned argument for that. I somehow think you won't, though.

Stuart