I Love Jesus and I Accept Evolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alate_One View Post
    If you take the appearance of age argument, the world could have been created two seconds ago and we'd never know it. It's kind of a pointless argument in my opinion. It offers no useful predictions that technologies can be built on, so why bother with such an idea?
    There are two things I want to comment on here:

1) Whenever anti-creationists (whatever form they take) bring up evolution, they almost always end up talking philosophy and avoid talking about science like it's the plague.

2) Whenever people bring up topics like the above, it's important to establish a baseline for discussion.

As per #2, [MENTION=9169]Alate_One[/MENTION], I have a question for you.

Do you know that you exist?

Comment

Originally posted by genuineoriginal View Post
      Is "lactase persistence" the genetic mutation or is "lactose intolerance" the genetic mutation?
      Lactase persistence is the mutation. Virtually all mammals turn off their lactase genes as adults as there is no need for them anymore.

The real answer is that neither is a real genetic mutation, but lactose intolerance is the result of other factors shutting off the lactase gene.
      Which is the normal behavior for regulation of the lactase gene.

Your quote just explained the mechanism of action for lactase persistence. It doesn't change the sequence of the lactase gene itself, which you would have already known had you watched my video.

Epigenetic changes via methylation are a common process of gene regulation in most higher organisms. Most beneficial mutations are these kinds of subtle changes to regulation rather than mutations in the coding sequence for genes.
      “We do not believe in God because we need to explain this or that feature of the world. That is what science is for. We believe in God because we see something deeper in the world, something that transcends the scientific explanations.” - Karl Giberson Ph.D.

- The science and faith of theistic evolution explained.

Comment

Originally posted by JudgeRightly View Post
        There are two things I want to comment on here:

1) Whenever anti-creationists (whatever form they take) bring up evolution, they almost always end up talking philosophy and avoid talking about science like it's the plague.
        I'm a scientist, I'd rather talk science. I've been offering all kinds of different scientific data for discussion, virtually no one wants to actually talk about the evidence. They want to talk about their own ideas about pretty much anything else.

2) Whenever people bring up topics like the above, it's important to establish some common ground.

As per #2, [MENTION=9169]Alate_One[/MENTION], I have a question for you.

Do you know that you exist?
        Having never taken a formal philosophy class. I believe I do.
        “We do not believe in God because we need to explain this or that feature of the world. That is what science is for. We believe in God because we see something deeper in the world, something that transcends the scientific explanations.” - Karl Giberson Ph.D.

Comment

Having never taken a formal philosophy class. I believe I do.
          Good to know.

Next:

Do you know that truth exists?

Comment

Originally posted by Stripe View Post
            Yeah, I heard this somewhere before, but can't recall the source. Basically the idea is that people were designed to grow out of milk, but because they started drinking it too much, they adapted to be lactose tolerant.

Notice how the change is always environment dependent.
            More like people were probably in a famine and were forced to drink milk to survive. Some of them had the ability to continue to drink milk and not get sick. They survived and that genetic mutation took over in the population, well in northern Europe and parts of Africa where people developed the cultural practice of milk drinking. Might have even just been that women that could drink milk and not get sick had healthier babies over a few hundred years. Whatever it was the selection was very strong in some areas.

Just trying to drink milk over and over if you're lactose intolerant doesn't work.

Comment

Good to know.

Next:

Do you know that truth exists?
              I think it does, but it is hard for humans to figure out what that is no matter what way of knowing you're dealing with. But science is pretty good at getting close when dealing with the function of the natural world.

Comment

I think it does, but it is hard for humans to figure out what that is no matter what way of knowing you're dealing with. But science is pretty good at getting close when dealing with the function of the natural world.
                Does truth exist?

Comment

Does truth exist?
                  Reading is teh hard?

I think it does. There is truth to be found.

Comment

Reading is teh hard?
                    I reworded my question for a reason.

I think it does. There is truth to be found.
                    Is it true that you exist?

Comment

• Originally posted by JudgeRightly View Post
                      Is it true that you exist?
                      *Is now glad I didn't take philosophy*

I suppose we could all be simulations within the mind of God but I guess that's a form of existing too so . . . yeah either way. ^_^

Comment

• Originally posted by Alate_One View Post
                        I'm a scientist, I'd rather talk science.
                        Then start by not assuming the truth of your idea.

Irrational openers mean you're excluded from a scientific discussion.
                        Where is the evidence for a global flood?
                        E≈mc2
                        "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

"The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
                        -Bob B.

Comment

*Is now glad I didn't take philosophy*

I suppose we could all be simulations within the mind of God but I guess that's a form of existing too so . . . yeah either way. ^_^
                          But you rationally cannot deny that you exist, yes?

In other words, it is true that you exist, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by JudgeRightly View Post
                            But you rationally cannot deny that you exist, yes?

In other words, it is true that you exist, right?
                            Sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stripe View Post
                              Then start by not assuming the truth of your idea.
                              Might want to look in the mirror on that one Stripey.

Irrational openers mean you're excluded from a scientific discussion.
                              Evolution isn't irrational. And I'm not convinced you know what science is. :P

Comment

Sure.
                                So then can you now confidently say that truth exists?

Comment

Working...
                                X