The Offence of the Cross

beloved57

Gal 5:11

And I, brethren, if I yet preach circumcision, why do I yet suffer persecution? then is the offence of the cross ceased.

One of the offences of the cross and a major one is the fact the Cross of Christ wasnt intended for nor was it for everyone without exception, but for the Sheep of Christ. Christ stated it plainly who He laid down His Life for Jn 10:11,15

11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.

And to go beyond that is human speculation and cannot true Faith.

beloved57

Jesus had just stated earlier that He is the Door to the Sheep Jn 10:7-9

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

Jesus makes a double emphasis Verily Verily, Truly Truly I say unto you, I am the Door of the Sheep. This speaks more to exclusiveness !

None can enter through the Door Jesus has provided but the Sheep.

To tell people Christ came to make a way to Salvation for all men without exception are denying the Offence of the Cross.

This Narrow way of the exclusiveness of the Cross is what Jesus meant when He uttered the words here Matt 7:14

because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

The few that find it of course are the Sheep ![/FONT]

Nanja

beloved57

To tell people Christ came to make a way to Salvation for all men without exception are denying the Offence of the Cross.

This Narrow way of the exclusiveness of the Cross is what Jesus meant when He uttered the words here Matt 7:14

because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

The few that find it of course are the Sheep !

Amen to #1 and #2 !

The word for offence in Gal. 5:11 is the Greek word skandalon and means an impediment placed in the way and causes one to stumble.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lexicon/Lexicon.cfm?strongs=G4625&t=KJV

In the NT this word is always used metaphorically of anything that arouses prejudice or becomes a hindrance to others, or causes them to fall by the way.

Sometimes the hindrance is in itself good and those stumbled by it are the wicked.

So to Preach correctly according to the scriptures, that Christ is the Door exclusively of the Sheep, arouses prejudice; it's an impediment placed in the way of the wicked causing them to stumble [goats Mat. 25:41]; to become a stumblingblock to them.

Last edited:

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Jesus had just stated earlier that He is the Door to the Sheep Jn 10:7-9

[FONT="] [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT="][/FONT][FONT="][FONT=Arial][B]7 [/B][/FONT]Then said Jesus unto them again, [U][B]Verily, verily,[/B][/U] I say unto you,[B] I am the door of the sheep.[/B] [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT="][/FONT][FONT="][FONT=Arial][B]8 [/B][/FONT]All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but[B] the sheep[/B] did not hear them. [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT="][/FONT][FONT="]9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

Jesus makes a double emphasis Verily Verily, Truly Truly I say unto you, I am the Door of the Sheep. This speaks more to exclusiveness !

None can enter through the Door Jesus has provided but the Sheep.

The few that find it of course are the Sheep ![/FONT]
1 John 2:2 New International Version (NIV)
2 He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

MennoSota

1 John 2:2 New International Version (NIV)
2 He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.
The sins of the elect, whom John is addressing as well as the elect throughout the whole world.
This is an easy passage to understand when you realize that John is writing to the children of God, not to the pagan nations.

beloved57

beloved57

Amen to #1 and #2 !

The word for offence in Gal. 5:11 is the Greek word skandalon and means an impediment placed in the way and causes one to stumble.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lexicon/Lexicon.cfm?strongs=G4625&t=KJV

In the NT this word is always used metaphorically of anything that arouses prejudice or becomes a hindrance to others, or causes them to fall by the way.

Sometimes the hindrance is in itself good and those stumbled by it are the wicked.

So to Preach correctly according to the scriptures, that Christ is the Door exclusively of the Sheep, arouses prejudice; it's an impediment placed in the way of the wicked causing them to stumble [goats Mat. 25:41]; to become a stumblingblock to them.
Amen!

betsy123

[FONT=&]And I, brethren, if I yet preach circumcision, why do I yet suffer persecution? then is the [/FONT]offence of the cross ceased.

One of the offences of the cross and a major one is the fact the Cross of Christ wasnt intended for nor was it for everyone without exception, but for the Sheep of Christ. Christ stated it plainly who He laid down His Life for Jn 10:11,15

[FONT=&]11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.

And to go beyond that is human speculation and cannot true Faith.[/FONT]

That's why we have to accept and have faith in Christ..........
........ to become the sheep that He died for.

That option (accepting Christ), is open to everyone!

Truster

[FONT=&]And I, brethren, if I yet preach circumcision, why do I yet suffer persecution? then is the [/FONT]offence of the cross ceased.

[FONT=&]11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

And to go beyond that is human speculation and cannot true Faith.[/FONT]

The offence is the fact He hanged from a tree. "cursed is he who hangs from a tree". How can a cursed man be anything other than an offence.

MennoSota

That's why we have to accept and have faith in Christ..........
........ to become the sheep that He died for.

That option (accepting Christ), is open to everyone!

Sounds like works salvation apart from grace.
I didn't know humans had the power to make ourselves into sheep.
Perhaps God has nothing to do with a person being separated out as a sheep. But, then again, what do you do with God's word?

Ephesians 1:3-6 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places,
even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him.
In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved.

betsy123

Sounds like works salvation apart from grace.
I didn't know humans had the power to make ourselves into sheep.
Perhaps God has nothing to do with a person being separated out as a sheep. But, then again, what do you do with God's word?

Ephesians 1:3-6 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places,
even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him.
In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved.

To be a sheep, is to become a follower of Christ.
Perhaps.....those who choose to accept Christ, are the predestined ones.
After all, God already knows who will have faith in Him, and who will reject Him.

Truster

After all, God already knows who will have faith in Him, and who will reject Him.

Saul of Tarsus didn't choose to follow The Messiah and neither did I. I was dragged kicking and screaming into the kingdom. Once I was in wild horses could not have dragged me out. I was a filthy, stinking and evil sinner and couldn't imagine that salvation was for the likes of me. What truly amazes me is that people like you think you deserve to be saved.

MennoSota

To be a sheep is to be chosen by God and receive the inheritance rather than the curse.

Matthew 25:31-34,41 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne.
Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.
And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left.
Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

beloved57

The only way to become a follower of Christ is to already have been a Sheep.So your teaching here is false

betsy123

The only way to become a follower of Christ is to already have been a Sheep.So your teaching here is false

The sheep is a disciple (follower) of Christ.
The follower's life history could be anything - he could've been a mass murderer - but he becomes a sheep once he becomes a follower.

Can you please explain this:

How did the sheep know enough to follow Christ if the non-believer (who became the sheep),
has not been introduced to Him? How did the sheep become a sheep?
Are all sheep born into it?

What's the purpose of spreading the Gospel? Of all these talks about salvation?

What does Jesus mean about "harvest?"

Matthew 9:37
Then He said to His disciples, "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few.

What's the point of this?

Matthew 28
Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

beloved57

The Gospel Truth of Election, that God has Chosen a People, a specific people, that Christ would come into the world and put away their sins. People want to make this a matter to contend. Election is God Glorifying and is necessary to preach the Christ and God Glorifying Gospel !

This Precious doctrine certifies the fact that Christ came to save a specific people Matt 1:21, a people given Him by the Father Jn 17:2

2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

Thats very specific " as many as the Father gave Him to save" thats the Elect, those Chosen in Him by the Father before the foundation Eph1:4

4According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

Last edited:

beloved57

Gods Grace to sinners is revealed in the Gospel of Election or the Gospel of the Grace of God Acts 20:24

24 [FONT=&quot]But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.

The Grace of God reveals, makes known that their is a remnant according to the Election of Grace Rom 11:5

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Even so then at this present time also there is a [/FONT]remnant according to the election of grace.

The same again in Rom 9:11

11 [FONT=&quot](For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth)

Folks there's no Gospel of Gods Grace when particular sovereign election of a remnant is neglected Its a small remnant according to the election of grace !

This is an offence of the cross ![/FONT]

beloved57

Another offence of the Cross is the fact that Christ in His Life and death completed and effected Salvation for the Elect, the Sheep that He died for

The Sheep that God gave to Christ Jn 10:27-29

27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

Theyre the same one Christ refers to here as been given to Him n 17:2

2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

And He by His work completed, effected Salvation and Eternal Life for them

Its not something contingent on their part, but finished by Christ Jn 19:30

When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

He brought in everlasting righteousness for the Elect Dan 9:24

24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

Nanja

beloved57

The Gospel Truth of Election, that God has Chosen a People, a specific people, that Christ would come into the world and put away their sins. People want to make this a matter to contend. Election is God Glorifying and is necessary to preach the Christ and God Glorifying Gospel !

Gods Grace to sinners is revealed in the Gospel of Election or the Gospel of the Grace of God Acts 20:24

Another offence of the Cross is the fact that Christ in His Life and death completed and effected Salvation for the Elect, the Sheep that He died for

Amen to #17, #18 and #19 !

Those who are immersed in man's false religion, find it offensive to declare that the Cross of Christ and the Saving Power of His Blood was not for all mankind without exception; but that it was exclusively for a remnant of mankind according to the Election of Grace Rom. 9:11; 11:5: He finished the transgressions of His People Dan. 9:24 that were laid on Him Is. 53:6; Ps. 103:12 and made an end to sins, and accomplished for them Everlasting Righteousness !

The same ones deny the Gospel Truths of the Grace of God,
explained in the acronym TULIP:

Total depravity and inability spiritually of the natural man

Unconditional Election of Grace of only a remnant out of mankind

Limited and particular atonement of only some out of mankind

Irresistible Grace or Effectual Call of only some out of all mankind

Preservation or perseverance of the Saints to the end by God's Power and Grace

These scripture Truths accurately define the method of God's Saving Grace in Christ Jesus and therefore thoroughly present the Gospel of God's Grace.

Acts 20:24 But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.

So by His Cross, Christ brought in Everlasting Righteousness for His Sheep / God's Elect and reconciled them to God Rom. 5:10, and Saved them while being His enemies and unbelievers; even while rejecting God and despising the Cross of Christ.

Now if any are in disbelief of any of these Doctrinal Truths founded upon the Word of God, it's proof they remain in unbelief and apostacy !

Rev. 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.