Jesus in rock music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jesus in rock music

I'm not generally a fan of Christian-themed popular music. For example, "Jesus Christ Superstar" and bands like Stryper have never attracted my appreciation. However, I have been working up a playlist of music from some of my favorite artists and when I got to Queen, I was surprised to find this song called "Jesus" from their first album:

=

Turns out it was written by Freddy Mercury, who was from Zanzibar and was raised as a Zoroastrian.

Another song that I was surprised to find is "We've Been Told (Jesus is Coming Again)" by Eric Clapton. This song is a cover rather than an original:

=

Lyrics:

God is warning the nations,
    Warning them in every way
    To turn away from the evil
    And seek the Lord and pray.

[Chorus:]
    We've been told that God done warned us,
    Jesus coming soon.
    Jesus coming soon.

Originally posted by User Name View Post
    I'm not generally a fan of Christian-themed popular music. For example, "Jesus Christ Superstar"
    I liked it.

and bands like Stryper have never attracted my appreciation.
    I love their rendition of The Battle Hymn of The Republic.

However, I have been working up a playlist of music from some of my favorite artists and when I got to Queen, I was surprised to find this song called "Jesus" from their first album:

=

Turns out it was written by Freddy Mercury, who was from Zanzibar and was raised as a Zoroastrian.

Another song that I was surprised to find is "We've Been Told (Jesus is Coming Again)" by Eric Clapton. This song is a cover rather than an original:

=

Lyrics:

Jesus coming soon.
    Jesus coming soon.
    Hope ya find some ya like.

We don't tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters exist.
    They already know monsters exist.
    We tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters can be killed.

Comment

=

Comment

I'm not generally a fan of Christian-themed popular music. For example, "Jesus Christ Superstar" and bands like Stryper have never attracted my appreciation. However, I have been working up a playlist of music from some of my favorite artists and when I got to Queen, I was surprised to find this song called "Jesus" from their first album:

=

=

Lyrics:

Jesus coming soon.
        Jesus coming soon.
        The Clapton tune is a Blind Willie Johnson song. I have a couple of Blind Willie Johnson's albums.

Comment

Blind Willie Johnson...
          https://youtu.be/mabTNjhdXeU

Comment

Originally posted by MennoSota View Post
            Blind Willie Johnson...
            https://youtu.be/mabTNjhdXeU
            Clapton's singing voice is slightly better...

Comment

Clapton's singing voice is slightly better...
              It takes a few times through to appreciate Blind Willies vocal chops. [emoji56]

Comment

If you listen to Blind Willie Johnson, you start to realize how many rockers were influenced by him and copied his songs/guitar licks. Blind Willie is no slouch on the guitar.

Comment

Listen to "You're Gonna Need Somebody On Your Bond." Pay attention to the intricate guitar playing by Blind Willie. It's that guitar work that inspired Clapton and others who were immersed in listening to the Blues.
                  It must be noted that without Black Christians pouring out their souls in the Blues, we would not have Rock-n-Roll music. Satan is always the imitator, never the Creator...
                  https://youtu.be/XsYtT8owyJ0

Comment

Anyone who has gone through the Valley will appreciate how good this song is...
                    "How Dark is the Night"
                    Thank you, God, for this tune.
                    Just listen and feel.
                    Romans 8
                    [26]And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don’t know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words.

https://youtu.be/BNj2BXW852g

Comment

Originally posted by MennoSota View Post
                      Listen to "You're Gonna Need Somebody On Your Bond." Pay attention to the intricate guitar playing by Blind Willie. It's that guitar work that inspired Clapton and others who were immersed in listening to the Blues.
                      It must be noted that without Black Christians pouring out their souls in the Blues, we would not have Rock-n-Roll music. Satan is always the imitator, never the Creator...
                      https://youtu.be/XsYtT8owyJ0
                      Satan caused rock music?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonahdog View Post
                        Satan caused rock music?
                        No. Re-read what I wrote.
                        God is the Creator and through His children He brings glorious music.
                        Satan is an imitator. He just leeks off from what God has created. The source of rock-n-roll is Godward.
                        There are people producing music that are not connected to God in any way, shape or form as they preach a message that is contrary to the Creator. Use discernment when you listen to music, because not all music is Godward.

Comment

=

Lyrics:

Jesus just left Chicago
                          And he's bound for New Orleans
                          Well now, Jesus just left Chicago
                          And he's bound for New Orleans
                          Yeah, yeah
                          Workin' from one end to the other and all points in between

Took a jump through Mississippi
                          Well, muddy water turned to wine
                          Took a jump through Mississippi
                          Muddy water turned to wine
                          Yeah, yeah
                          Then out to California through the forests and the pines
                          Ah, take me with you, Jesus

You might not see him in person
                          But he'll see you just the same
                          You might not see him in person
                          But he'll see you just the same
                          Yeah, yeah
                          You don't have to worry 'cause takin' care of business is his name

Songwriters: Frank Beard / Billy Gibbons / Dusty Hill

Comment

=

Comment

In the past Bob Dylan claimed that he was a Christian. Carolyn Dennis, Dylan’s former wife, said the following:
                              I noticed a Bible in his luggage one day as he was packing. Amidst all the rumors that he was no longer a Christian, I asked him if he was still a believer. His answer was short and simple: “I believe the whole Bible.” I have always known Bob to be one that uses few words. Knowing that he was born into the Jewish faith and culture and being one of the people that he so proudly proclaimed his acceptance of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior to, I did not push or ask anything more about it. As far as I am concerned, I didn’t need to. The answer seemed complete to me and he’d answered my question. Bob has never denied being Jewish, nor has he ever denied being Christian to me.

I read somewhere that Dylan said that the gospel songs of Luke the Drifter (Hank Williams) had a profound effect on him and may have been the most influential factor in his coming to the faith.

Comment

Working...
                              X