Biological Taxonomy - Kinds vs. Species (Linnaean taxonomy)

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Look up oblong if you don't know what it means.
I'd always associated the word as an adjective applied to square, or as a synonym for "rectangle" as a noun. :up:

Your link here provides information from a scientist who agreed with me, and the author of your link disputed that. Who authored your article here?
The point is: There is no significant difference between a billiard ball and the Earth when it comes to sphericity. To call the Earth egg-shaped would be as silly as calling a basketball "cucumber-shaped."

The only use for the terms "egg-shaped" and "pear-shaped" is to describe physical processes that affect the Earth slightly. The Earth is a sphere. To say otherwise is to be unnecessarily pedantic or downright wrong.

Greg Jennings

I'd always associated the word as an adjective applied to square, or as a synonym for "rectangle" as a noun. :up:
lol

The point is: There is no significant difference between a billiard ball and the Earth when it comes to sphericity. To call the Earth egg-shaped would be as silly as calling a basketball "cucumber-shaped."

The only use for the terms "egg-shaped" and "pear-shaped" is to describe physical processes that affect the Earth slightly. The Earth is a sphere.
Believe it or not, we're on the same page here mostly. I just happen to think that the Koran correctly describing such a phenomenon that could not be possibly observed at the time of its authoring is quite astounding. And if you want to talk about any holy book containing scientifically relevant data, that's about as good as it gets. Yet obviously you wouldn't ever give the Koran the time of day because you grew up a Christian and not a Muslim

Hawkins

Your point is taken. I have faith that scientists aren't deliberately trying to deceive the whole world, but I don't think that's a radical opinion

As a common sense, no one is willing to die for his own lie. Nor did the direct disciples of Jesus.

This comes to the second part. That is, how we will be able to validate the witnessing.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Believe it or not, we're on the same page here mostly. I just happen to think that the Koran correctly describing such a phenomenon that could not be possibly observed at the time of its authoring is quite astounding. And if you want to talk about any holy book containing scientifically relevant data, that's about as good as it gets. Yet obviously you wouldn't ever give the Koran the time of day because you grew up a Christian and not a Muslim

The Koran doesn't say anything more than the Bible about the shape of the Earth.

6days

Sure it doesn't. You keep on spouting that and eventually it might be true, right?
Greg..... you are being silly.
If you think the Qu'ran is correct about the earth being egg shaped, then post a NASA pic along with the verse from the Qu'ran. I suspect you are using a modified Qu'ran...1970's ... and round Muslim chicken eggs?

Greg Jennings

Greg..... you are being silly.
If you think the Qu'ran is correct about the earth being egg shaped, then post a NASA pic along with the verse from the Qu'ran. I suspect you are using a modified Qu'ran...1970's ... and round Muslim chicken eggs?

Stripe and I went over it 6days. He correctly said that, at times, due to certain conditions either the Earth's northern or Southern Hemisphere bulges, causing an egg or pear shape. The link I provided twice in the past three pages has a statement from NASA about it. Take a look if you like.

That being said, upon further review of Surah 79:30, I don't see much reason to conclude that it means "egg-shaped." It seems kind of like the Catholic Bible edit of Isaiah 40:22 you provided a few pages back that put "globe" in place of "circle." Both "globe" in the Catholic Bible and "egg-shaped" in the version of the Quran's Sura 79 I found seem like fanciful interpretations by people trying to proclaim that their holy book is more right.

6days

Stripe and I went over it 6days. He correctly said that, at times, due to certain conditions either the Earth's northern or Southern Hemisphere bulges, causing an egg or pear shape. The link I provided twice in the past three pages has a statement from NASA about it. Take a look if you like.
So You agreed that the earth is egg shape but looks like a billiard ball?
Greg J said:
That being said, upon further review of Surah 79:30, I don't see much reason to conclude that it means "egg-shaped."
:)

Side point you have mentioned a couple times about the Qu'ran and Bible being equal. It simply ain't so since the Qu'ran contradicts itself and the Bible.
God's Word is inerrant without contradiction.

Greg Jennings

Just read the link 6days. Just for once, read the link.

Side point you have mentioned a couple times about the Qu'ran and Bible being equal. It simply ain't so since the Qu'ran contradicts itself and the Bible.
God's Word is inerrant without contradiction.

Were you born into a Christian family?

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber

You bunch of Dodoheads!! (and I mean that in the nicest of ways)

The earth is not at all like an egg!!

An egg is pointy at one end only and large at the other.

bird_egg.png

6days

You bunch of Dodoheads!! (and I mean that in the nicest of ways)

The earth is not at all like an egg!!

An egg is pointy at one end only and large at the other.

bird_egg.png
Color the background black with little yellow dots. Paint the egg blue. Next...with brown paint draw the shape of North and Soth America.
Now...under the pic post the verse from the Qu'ran that says the earth is egg shaped.
il_570xN.284158170.jpg

Last edited:

Right Divider

Body part
Why then do modern creationists run away from the species term and replace it with the "Kinds" of baraminology?
Nice false accusation.

The Biblical creationist view is that God originally created kinds and NOT that this was some sort of permanent and never changing arrangement.

That the kinds had descendants is pretty obvious. That those descendants branch off from the original kinds is not a problem for creationists.

Alate_One

Nice false accusation.

The Biblical creationist view is that God originally created kinds and NOT that this was some sort of permanent and never changing arrangement.

That the kinds had descendants is pretty obvious. That those descendants branch off from the original kinds is not a problem for creationists.

Oh so you do believe in evolution! How nice. :)