Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad Thinkers Why do some people believe conspiracy theories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clete View Post
    I do not believe that you do think they show a causal relationship. It's quite obvious that you know better.

I do, however, believe that your intent is to suggest that conspiracy theorists and those on the right have similar brain malformations. The implication being obvious.
    No more than I suggested that those on the left have brain malfunctions. These aren't malfunctions; they are normal variations in brain structure, and (please get this, which I've pointed out before) are both adaptive and useful in the right circumstances. If you suppose that a psychopath is just a regular guy, then you've made one mistake. If you suppose that "all those(insert ethnic group) people" are bad in some way, you made another mistake.

And yes, you can find leftists who likely have exaggerated fears of and hatred for people who present little threat to them. They are called "antifa." And there are rightists, who suppose that people like Vladimir Putin and Kim Jong Il are respectable and trustworthy leaders.

But they aren't the norm, are they?

But conspiracy buffs are those who have exaggerated responses to things that most of us would not perceive as threats. And that's well-correlated with some details of neuroanatomy.

Which doesn't mean causation; it merely means that one is a pretty good predictor of the other.
    • Conservatives are more likely to endorse ideologically congruent conspiracies than liberals.
    • Individuals with a high level of trust in institutions are less likely to endorse conspiracy theories.
    • Conservatives knowledgeable about politics are more likely to endorse ideologically congruent conspiracy theories. There is no evidence of a similar correlation among liberals.
    • Conservatives knowledgeable about politics who also have little trust in institutions are most associated with endorsement of ideologically consistent conspiracy theories: “Highly knowledgeable conservatives are more likely to engage in ideologically motivated endorsement, especially if they believe that the world is an untrustworthy place.”
    • Conservatives and liberals knowledgeable about politics are less likely than their unknowledgeable counterparts to endorse incongruent conspiracies – for example, a liberal is less likely to endorse the theory that President Obama was not born in the United States.
    • For liberals, greater knowledge about politics and greater trust in institutions both appear to decrease their tendency to endorse conspiracy theories.
    https://journalistsresource.org/stud...owledge-trust/

Notice that :“Highly knowledgeable conservatives are more likely to engage in ideologically motivated endorsement, especially if they believe that the world is an untrustworthy place.”
    This message is hidden because ...

Comment

Working...
    X