WashPo Admits State Department Official Raised Alarms In 2015

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
It's true to a certain point though,

Likely there is some truth to it. But the point is that republicans are now blaming liberals for Trump, just as they started to insist that Nixon was really a liberal, and that liberals were the people enforcing segregation.

It's the next stage in this fiasco:
iu

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
barbie also seems to be under the impression that republican politicians supported trumps candidacy and his presidency

Well Republican politicians have been largely supportive and enabling of Trump from the time that he won election until now. It seems likely at this point that history will not look kindly upon them because of it.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Well Republican politicians have been largely supportive and enabling of Trump from the time that he won election until now. It seems likely at this point that history will not look kindly upon them because of it.

He's just looking for attention. It's easy to dismantle his stuff, but he doesn't care. It's the attention he craves.

For Americans worried about the state of our republic, Watergate analogies can be a comforting salve. If FBI Director James Comey’s firing is President Donald Trump’s Saturday Night Massacre, then impeachment hearings should be coming down the road — perhaps soon. But even if Comey’s firing leads to a widening scandal, some of the lessons of Watergate should worry Trump opponents more than soothe them.

That’s because the Watergate affair turned conservative skeptics of Richard Nixon into hardcore supporters, drawing out the immediate crisis and deepening divisions in the long term. Conservatives at the time refashioned the scandal into a tale of Democratic hypocrisy and media hostility — a narrative that many Republicans have adopted once again to explain away the emerging Trump scandals.

In perhaps the boldest stroke of all, when the evidence of Nixon’s wrongdoing became undeniable, the right attributed the president’s crimes to the growing institutional power of the presidency — making Watergate, in a sense, a “liberal” scandal after all.

Until the very end, Watergate gave Nixon a stature on the right that he had previously lacked. And even after Nixon’s resignation, the right never quite accepted the liberal narrative of the impeachment as a heroic moment for investigative journalism and a cleansing moment for American politics. All of which suggests that, at least for now, the Comey firing could help Trump consolidate his support among conservatives and Republicans, the very people who have the power to hold him accountable.
From a betrayer of the right to a victim of the left: conservatives’ shifting view of Nixon

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/20...ent-conservative-public-opinion-trump-history

Did republican politicians support Trump:

For the long list of republican politicians who supported Trump before his election:
https://ballotpedia.org/Republicans_supporting_Donald_Trump

It's a great measure of how Trump is sinking that even right-wing trolls are now trying to back away from him.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Yes, Jeff Sessions was the earliest and most vocal US senator to support Trump's candidacy. In return for his support, he was ruthlessly thrown under the bus when Trump decided Sessions wasn't "loyal" enough.

When trump won the nomination, virtually all republican politicians "supported" him - that's the way the game's played

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
When trump won the nomination, virtually all republican politicians "supported" him - that's the way the game's played

They shouldn't have, though. In my opinion, they should have played the game differently. Trump proved himself to be a loose canon during the primaries. They should have known that it was only a matter of time before they would find that canon pointing at them. How stupid was Jeff Sessions et al, to support Trump even after Trump tried to implicate Ted Cruz' father with the Kennedy assassination? The Republicans NEVER should have agreed to play ball with Trump in my opinion. Republicans and Democrats alike should have treated Trump like the renegade he is. As it stands, if Trump goes down many of them will likely go down with him. Quite a few already have.

ok doser

They shouldn't have, though. In my opinion, they should have played the game differently. Trump proved himself to be a loose canon during the primaries. They should have known that it was only a matter of time before they would find that canon pointing at them. How stupid was Jeff Sessions et al, to support Trump even after Trump tried to implicate Ted Cruz' father with the Kennedy assassination? The Republicans NEVER should have agreed to play ball with Trump in my opinion. Republicans and Democrats alike should have treated Trump like the renegade he is. As it stands, if Trump goes down many of them will likely go down with him. Quite a few already have.

shoulda woulda coulda - whats done is done

my hope is that the hapless dems, given a golden opportunity to shine, will find they've flung a bag of dung at a ceiling fan and will once again snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

and as far as "if trump goes down"?

you don't seriously think the senate will convict?

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
and as far as "if trump goes down"?

you don't seriously think the senate will convict?

Trump isn't done making a mess yet. He's still working hard at it. I don't see things ending well for Trump at this point. When it's all said and done, I think it's very possible that enough Republicans in the Senate may turn on him and vote for impeachment. We can only wait and see.

ok doser

i don't see it happening, but it wouldn't faze me - i've said all along that a Pence presidency is our best hope of recriminalizing homosexuality :)

Last edited:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Yes, Jeff Sessions was the earliest and most vocal US senator to support Trump's candidacy. In return for his support, he was ruthlessly thrown under the bus when Trump decided Sessions wasn't "loyal" enough.

Loyalty, for some, is strictly a one-way deal. There were, early on, many republicans who denounced Trump, noting that his "conservatism" was merely opportunistic trolling for ignorant voters. But after he won, many of them hastened to kiss his ring. And so history will judge them.

The difference between Moscow Mitch and Joe Walsh or Mitt Romney, is the latter two are men.