DNI Whistleblower Tip About Trump Phone Call Alarms Former Intel Officials

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
[h=1]Why Ex-Intel Officials Are Alarmed By Whistleblower Tip Against Trump[/h]

[FONT=&quot]The mystery over what a confidential intelligence community whistleblower is tying to tell Congress deepened late Wednesday, with multiple news outlets reporting that the complaint had to do with a call between the President and a foreign leader.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Former intelligence officials were alarmed at the reporting, which suggested that the whistleblower complaint had to do with an unknown “promise” that President Trump made to an unknown foreign leader.[/FONT]

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
THREAD: Excellent point made by my colleague @juliettekayyem just now as we discussed on @CNN: Our system is not designed to address, expose, or neutralize a national security threat when the threat is THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES
-- Asha Rapanga

2. The system *is* well equipped to handle merely criminal behavior: You know, garden variety Nixon-type presidential obstruction of justice and related crimes
3. But let’s look at the loopholes when POTUS may be furthering the interests of a foreign adversary: First, the Special Counsel regs, which do not contemplate a counterintelligence investigation, only a criminal one
4. This is why the Mueller Report only details the outcomes of crimes investigated, not the much bigger foreign intelligence and counterintelligence story (which is likely ongoing)
5. Even on the counterintelligence front, the FBI hits a wall in its ability to take action if the national security threat is POTUS himself. I explain why here washingtonpost.com/outlook/2019/0…

Last edited:

Gary K

Banned
So, we have an anonymous person making unclear accusations about something that was possibly said to an unknown person, and this is newsworthy? LOL.

Wow. You require so much detail and information to judge Trump guilty. Your fairness and love of justice is just incredible.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
So, we have an anonymous person making unclear accusations about something that was possibly said to an unknown person, and this is newsworthy? LOL.

Wow. You require so much detail and information to judge Trump guilty. Your fairness and love of justice is just incredible.

What the whistleblower has to say should be released to Congress. Do you agree?

According to Schiff’s letter, the whistleblower first sent a “disclosure intended for Congress” to the Intelligence Community’s Inspector General on Aug. 12.

That triggered a two-week deadline for Atkinson to review and assess the complaint.

At the period’s end — on Aug. 26 — Atkinson purportedly reached his conclusion, finding that the whistleblower had made a credible allegation that met a legal standard of “urgent concern.” He then submitted a copy of the disclosure and “accompanying materials” to acting Director of National Intelligence Joseph Maguire, beginning another seven-day countdown to the deadline for Maguire to forward the information to the congressional intelligence committees.

This is where things get hairy. Schiff alleges that Maguire’s office has withheld the complaint from Congress, disregarding the law.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned

The Trump administration violated the law by not turning the whistle blower report over within the required time.

And it appears that it's about Trump making a promise to a foreign leader so troubling that a whistle blower was compelled to report it.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
New Docs: Intel IG Complained That DOJ, DNI Blocked Help To Trump Whistleblower

The Intelligence Community Inspector General told Congress he was being blocked from giving a whistleblower a way to securely tell the House about allegations that reportedly deal with a promise the President made to a foreign leader, according to a newly released batch of letters.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/123doUFyqVG-eUN8IKSwTk1YlhBaCzwVW/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16LEEnrcCTRz3BdgLJZQw6L1IS0Z68wPR/view

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
The law doesn’t just require Maguire to provide Congress with the report; it also requires that he do exactly what he is refusing to do: advise the inspector general on how to establish direct communication between the whistleblower and the intelligence committee. Maguire isn’t just bending the law—he’s shredding it.

And a move by Trump and Barr to simply lift the matter away from the intelligence community is an ever-greater threat. There is simply no provision in the law that allows them to define whether or not a whistleblower report fits within the confines of what can be reported. They are not allowed to block this report. That’s the whole point of having a system for making such reports.

As several analysts have pointed out, whoever made this report put everything on the line. Their career is over. It’s clear they thought whatever is at the core of this matter important enough that it demanded attention.

Trump, Barr, and Maguire are now in massive breach of the law to prevent this issue from reaching the Congress.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
70996119_1103448403193181_7100527138763177984_n.jpg

Giuliani was the talk of Twitter for a wild CNN interview with Chris Cuomo in which he shouted, gestured, spouted conspiracy theories about former Vice President Joe Biden and billionaire activist/philanthropist George Soros, and contradicted himself several times.

At one point, within a span of seconds, Giuliani went from adamantly denying that he had asked Ukraine to investigate Biden to announcing that “of course” he had done so.

Warning: Mild implied profanity at the site:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/rudy...wbtXleoNxYmL95CJ08K8QBDFimydrioupTJ_rh_jb_iG1

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Republican attorney George Conway calls for President Donald Trump's impeachment in a scathing Washington Post editorial, published the same night his wife, Kellyanne Conway, attends White House dinner without him

[I don't see how this marriage stays together.]

The current whistleblowing allegations, however, are even worse. Unlike the allegations of conspiracy with Russia before the 2016 election, these concern Trump’s actions as president, not as a private citizen, and his exercise of presidential powers over foreign policy with Ukraine. Moreover, with Russia, at least there was an attempt to get the facts through the Mueller investigation; here the White House is trying to shut down the entire inquiry from the start — depriving not just the American people, but even congressional intelligence committees, of necessary information.

It is high time for Congress to do its duty, in the manner the framers intended. Given how Trump seems ever bent on putting himself above the law, something like what might have happened between him and Ukraine — abusing presidential authority for personal benefit — was almost inevitable. Yet if that is what occurred, part of the responsibility lies with Congress, which has failed to act on the blatant obstruction that Mueller detailed months ago.

Congressional procrastination has probably emboldened Trump, and it risks emboldening future presidents who might turn out to be of his sorry ilk. To borrow John Dean’s haunting Watergate-era metaphor once again, there is a cancer on the presidency, and cancers, if not removed, only grow. Congress bears the duty to use the tools provided by the Constitution to remove that cancer now, before it’s too late. As Elbridge Gerry put it at the 1787 Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia, “A good magistrate will not fear [impeachments]. A bad one ought to be kept in fear of them.” By now, Congress should know which one Trump is.​

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Ok, so what is the crime he's been convicted of?

I mean, I'm all for impeachment, but hasn't the holdup on the part of the dems been a lack of criminal offenses?

Provable criminal offenses?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Ok, so what is the crime he's been convicted of?

Why are you saying "convicted?" You know better than that, in fact I'll go one better and say I think you know he's committed impeachable offenses, but you're willing to overlook them because he provides useful cover while his corrupt cabinet and Moscow Mitch do the majority of the dirty work. Plus, you know he's driving the Dems crazy. No surprise it's all win-win to you, but at what cost? The biggest thing Trump has accomplished is showing up the weaknesses in the Constitution.

I mean, I'm all for impeachment, but hasn't the holdup on the part of the dems been a lack of criminal offenses?

Provable criminal offenses?

I think there's a strategy struggle between the Nadler Dems and the Pelosi Dems, that Mueller dropped the ball, and that everyone's exhausted by the non-stop parade of scandal and outright wrongdoing, there are so many fires to put out... and that it's intentional. Maybe in the beginning it wasn't, but people in power know how to keep that power and the GOP has made the chaos work in their best interest.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Pick a single impeachable offense

Prove it to the public

Then impeach

Stop saying there's too many to manage.

Pick one

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
It hasn't been all that long since I left conservatism. Enough remains that I'm incredibly disappointed in conservatives who've shown they really aren't strict constructionists after all if it's in their best interest to all of a sudden read a new interpretation into the Constitution, something they always warned about "the left" doing. They were always about not legislating from the bench, too - that is until they've packed the courts enough (which was Moscow Mitch's strategy all along), and then wait.

Last edited:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Senator Feinstein released the following statement today:
“If media reports are correct that President Trump delayed military aid appropriated by Congress in order to get Ukraine to investigate a political opponent, it’s difficult not to see that as an abuse of presidential authority, plain and simple.

“Withholding the whistleblower report that led to these allegations is also unacceptable. The president is essentially saying that Congress has no right to investigate the executive branch, which is a direct attack on the separation of powers. Oversight is a constitutional function of Congress.

“I sent a letter on Friday to Attorney General bar demanding that the whistleblower report be transmitted to Congress, which is required by law. I also requested any advice or guidance provided by the Justice Department to the Director of National Intelligence that led him to take this action.

“Covering this up will only make matters worse for this administration. I encourage them to clear this up as soon as possible.”

And yesterday:

EFAUwjpWwAAykj_.jpg

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Adam SchiffVerified account
@RepAdamSchiff​

We have been informed by the whistleblower’s counsel that their client would like to speak to our committee and has requested guidance from the Acting DNI as to how to do so.We‘re in touch with counsel and look forward to the whistleblower’s testimony as soon as this week.

11:29 AM - 24 Sep 2019