Mueller turns up the heat on impeachment

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
The results from his admission that he'd violate the law, if he felt it could do him some good, isn't that impeachment will be more likely, but that it further damages his standing in the swing states.

And he's scared. If a democrat administration comes in, there's so many possible criminal charges that could happen, no telling what the consequences will be, even apart from discovering what he's been hiding in his taxes.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The results from his admission that he'd violate the law, if he felt it could do him some good, isn't that impeachment will be more likely, but that it further damages his standing in the swing states.

And he's scared. If a democrat administration comes in, there's so many possible criminal charges that could happen, no telling what the consequences will be, even apart from discovering what he's been hiding in his taxes.
:rotfl:

:mock: Trump haters.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So, he's impeached?
This is what you get in a democracy; politicians pursue injustice to please voters, then when the time seems right, nobody is willing to pursue justice because they want to avoid annoying the voters.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
By focusing on many different issues at once rather than the singular issue of impeachment, Democrats have the chance to do three things:

They focus on the discovery of facts rather than arguments over consequences: “What wrongs did Trump do?” rather than “Is removal the right remedy for these wrongs?”
They liberate their presidential candidates to campaign on the bread-and-butter issues that will mobilize and motivate less-committed voters, rather than obliging them to opine on the big existential question of impeachment and removal.
They reserve the impeachment remedy for the very genuine possibility of a Trump second term, by which time the Senate will likely have shifted more in the Democrats’ direction.

Trump outrages the sense of justice. It is understandable that many yearn for urgent and decisive action to cleanse the American system. But wise action is better than urgent action, and the best decision is one that leads to success.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/05/impeach-trump-not-yet/590578/

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
By focusing on many different issues at once rather than the singular issue of impeachment, Democrats have the chance to do three things:

They focus on the discovery of facts rather than arguments over consequences: “What wrongs did Trump do?” rather than “Is removal the right remedy for these wrongs?”

Right, an updated HR 803 ("Resolution providing appropriate power to the Committee on the Judiciary to conduct an investigation of whether sufficient grounds exist to impeach Richard M. Nixon, President of the United States.")

They liberate their presidential candidates to campaign on the bread-and-butter issues that will mobilize and motivate less-committed voters, rather than obliging them to opine on the big existential question of impeachment and removal.

This is where I'd be concerned about how and why political expediency, and while I see the reasons to get the timing right, it's frustrating to a lot of people that at this rate they run a real chance of missing the wave.

They reserve the impeachment remedy for the very genuine possibility of a Trump second term, by which time the Senate will likely have shifted more in the Democrats’ direction.

By which time it'll be too late. IMO.

Trump outrages the sense of justice.

This is it in a nutshell. And not only am I outraged, I'm astounded at how he's managed to get so many conservatives to sell their souls for a chance to hold onto their social majority.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
What I don't get is that so many conservatives seem unaware of the amount of damage that Trump is doing to their brand.

The principled ideological conservatives are beginning to leave the ship.

However, impeachment will fail as long as amoral politicians like McConnell and Graham are in the Senate. So it's probably best to let the drum roll of scandals run on. And if there's no impeachment, then Trump can't claim double jeopardy when he's indicted after leaving office.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
May 27, 2019
Robert Mueller: Dishonest, deceptive and diabolical
By Patricia McCarthy

It will be interesting to see if any of the plotters has a sense of decency and expresses profound regret for his part in this obscene project. On this Memorial Day weekend, it would be wise for them to remember how this nation survived as long as it has. We owe our safety and security to the untold thousands of great men and women who have died to protect and preserve it.

None of them had bone spurs, you know. Mueller joined the Marines and volunteered for Vietnam, doing his duty bravely and well, and was wounded in action.

Those guys who found ways to dodge the draft, aren't fit to shine Mueller's shoes.

These scoundrels, Mueller, Comey, Brennan, Clapper, and the rest of them, have dishonored their service and sacrifice.

I suppose some people think of putting one's life on the line for one's country is being a sucker.

President Donald Trump in a televised interview Wednesday said he would have liked to have served in the U.S. military but not during the height of fighting in Vietnam because “I was never a fan of that war.”
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...to-join-the-military-just-not-during-vietnam/

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
What I don't get is that so many conservatives seem unaware of the amount of damage that Trump is doing to their brand.

I'm done with giving them the benefit of the doubt. They know what they voted for, and they like him that way. How do you fix that?

The principled ideological conservatives are beginning to leave the ship.

They could've swum halfway across the ocean by now if they'd jumped when they should have.

However, impeachment will fail as long as amoral politicians like McConnell and Graham are in the Senate. So it's probably best to let the drum roll of scandals run on. And if there's no impeachment, then Trump can't claim double jeopardy when he's indicted after leaving office.

The House should impeach regardless of whether they'll get a conviction in the Senate. I want the hearings made public and the history books to show he was impeached.

drbrumley

Trump Filling the Swamp
Laurence M. Vance

Instead of draining it. According to new data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, “The number of people employed by the federal government rose from 2,811,000 in April to 2,815,000 in May, an increase of 4,000 that put the number of federal workers at the highest level since President Barack Obama left office.”

drbrumley

None of them had bone spurs, you know. Mueller joined the Marines and volunteered for Vietnam, doing his duty bravely and well, and was wounded in action.

Those guys who found ways to dodge the draft, aren't fit to shine Mueller's shoes.

I suppose some people think of putting one's life on the line for one's country is being a sucker.

President Donald Trump in a televised interview Wednesday said he would have liked to have served in the U.S. military but not during the height of fighting in Vietnam because “I was never a fan of that war.”
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...to-join-the-military-just-not-during-vietnam/

He voluteered for Vietnam? And I'm supposed to be impressed?

quip

BANNED
Banned
Trump Filling the Swamp
Laurence M. Vance

Instead of draining it. According to new data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, “The number of people employed by the federal government rose from 2,811,000 in April to 2,815,000 in May, an increase of 4,000 that put the number of federal workers at the highest level since President Barack Obama left office.”

I thought the GOP policy was for less government. I suppose their plan involves aiming for less IQ and integrity.