Why Don't the Liberals Want a Wall?

Foxfire

Great Wall failures of history.

Great wall of China.... didn't stop the Mongols

Hadrians wall..... didn't stop the barbarians

Trumps Wall.... Didn't stop illegal immigration; cost enough to build a sufficient number of Trump Towers to house the entire population of Central America!
:chuckle:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Great Wall failures of history.

Great wall of China.... didn't stop the Mongols

Hadrians wall..... didn't stop the barbarians

Trumps Wall.... Didn't stop illegal immigration; cost enough to build a sufficient number of Trump Towers to house the entire population of Central America!
:chuckle:

successful walls: at every legal border crossing, including the northern one four miles from me, into Canada

berlin

gaza

Yuma, az

etc

ok doser

foxfire - if I achieve nothing else tonight, it would be nice to get you to realize that some walls are effective

do you live in a house, an apartment, a condo, a dorm room?

does it have walls?

why does it have walls?

are they effective?

ok doser

Was Hadrian's Wall effective?

Adam E. Donaldson, Ph.D. Roman History, University of Arizona
Answered Jun 28, 2016

It was extremely effective, but then you have to elaborate on what it’s purpose was. The wall was a lot more about showing imperial power…and about controlling the flow of people for purposes of taxation…than it was about stopping attacks. From the fortress of Vindolanda (which actually predated the wall), we have a large cache of letters that survived because of the anaerobic conditions of the soil there. Only a single letter describes any sort of fighting, and in an off-hand way, regarding the Britons…and the surviving lists of soldiers absent from duty shows people getting sick, but no violence. This is not to say that the wall was never used in a purely military sense, or that it couldn’t help deter attacks, but its primary purpose has a lot to do with things that are not about stopping attackers, or keeping dangerous people out.

https://www.quora.com/Was-Hadrians-Wall-effective

ok doser

same with the great wall of china - for it's purpose it was very effective for centuries

Foxfire

foxfire - if I achieve nothing else tonight, it would be nice to get you to realize that some walls are effective

do you live in a house, an apartment, a condo, a dorm room?

does it have walls?

why does it have walls?

are they effective?

You're just boring me now.

Kit the Coyote

Why would anyone not want a wall?

Here is an example of the horror stories being told about women's trips to the border:

Well, there are fragments of the story, which we were able to gather as we traveled along the U.S.-Mexico border. We, for example, visited a shelter in northern Mexico - in Nogales, Sonora, the Mexican state of Sonora - where one woman said her entire trip north was effectively a sexual assault. She was brought across the border by a man under false pretenses, taken to the city of Atlanta and, she says, used as a prostitute for years. Now, she's back in northern Mexico. That's where we found her.

If a wall is built all of this abuse of women and children at the border will cease overnight!

Would just one person answer the following question for me?:

What is so bad about a wall when compared to all the evil which is resulting from the lack of a wall?

If the wall would actually stop such evil then fine but it won't. All it will do is shift the traffic around. Even if you could build a wall coast to coast, which you can't, there is plenty of coastlines and boats to sail around it. You really think those people traffickers can't afford a boat?

Given the massive costs involved, the wall is simply not a cost-effective means to address the problems.

The Great Wall of China didn't actually stop the invasions, it was a little useful in stopping spot raiders but the actually invading army just rode around it or most often bribed someone to open one of the gates.

To really address the problems you need to address the demand. A running joke I have is that Mexico may pay for the wall but California farmers will pay for the subway running under it.

ok doser

Arthur Brain said:
It's gonna cost a whole lot more to build than your president has told you, is impractical to build, maintain and patrol, will hardly be impenetrable and won't stop plenty other ways for people to illegally enter the US. It wouldn't be much cop to the environment either and effectively it's unlikely to come about for aforementioned reasons and was likely pre election show boating from Trump.

to respond to artie:

It's gonna cost a whole lot more to build than your president has told you

that's true of virtually any large project and doubly true of any large government project

not sure why you'd care, seeing as you don't pay taxes here :idunno:

, is impractical to build, maintain and patrol,

it's already been achieved successfully on a small scale in Yuma, Arizona

will hardly be impenetrable

it's not intended to be "impenetrable"

and won't stop plenty other ways for people to illegally enter the US.

right now it's the biggest way for people to illegally enter the us

when other ways develop, we'll address them

what are you considering? boats? planes? teleportation devices?

we're already pretty good at stopping boats and planes

It wouldn't be much cop to the environment either

I have no idea what that means

most of the environment is God-forsaken desert

and effectively it's unlikely to come about for aforementioned reasons

i'm sorry, your aforementioned reasons have been dismantled

and was likely pre election show boating from Trump.

you do realize that congress and trump are wrangling over funding, right now

it is going to happen

Last edited:

Arthur Brain

Doser, in case it wasn't already apparent, I've no interest in conversing with ya. You're the same troll as you were and aside from this that's all the response you're gonna get. If you wanna waste your time quoting me or talking indirectly about me then knock yourself out but you were boring and past a sell by date even before your last ban. Take care, have oodles of fun doing the usual or hopefully better and in the best possible spirit of things, get a life.

:e4e:

Truster

"For Messiah himself has brought peace to us. He united Jews and Gentiles into one people when, in his own body on the stake, he broke down the wall of hostility that separated us".

Jerry Shugart

Yet another one dimensional zealot.

Funny that the liberals begin to worry about spending too much on the wall but we never heard a peep out of them when Obama doubled the national debt during his eight years, a national debt that had taken more than two hundred years to accumulate. In just eight years!

Just another one of those one dimensational hypocrites!

They cry crocodile tears over families being separated at the border but when it comes to building a wall which will stop the abuse of children and women at the border all of a sudden the wall costs too much!

The One Worlders are fooling no one but themselves!

WizardofOz

Funny that the liberals begin to worry about spending too much on the wall but we never heard a peep out of them when Obama doubled the national debt during his eight years, a national debt that had taken more than two hundred years to accumulate. In just eight years!

Just another one of those one dimensational hypocrites!

I agree that spending and expanding deficits were bad under Obama. How do you feel about Trump's spending and expanding deficits?

Donald Trump: As projected in the FY 2019 budget, Trump plans to add $8.282 trillion, a 41 percent increase from the $20.245 trillion debt at the end of Obama's last budget for FY 2017. If he spends as he hopes, Trump will add the second-highest dollar amount in history. More importantly, he will add almost as much in his first term as Obama did in two terms.

:think:
Thoughts?

Jerry Shugart

You're saying that he has to spend and additional $8.282 trillion in order to solve the debt problem? :AMR:

How is he "priming the pump"?

The estimates which you give do not take into account the growth of the GDP in the future and the added tax revenue.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Why would anyone not want a wall?

Here is an example of the horror stories being told about women's trips to the border:

Well, there are fragments of the story, which we were able to gather as we traveled along the U.S.-Mexico border. We, for example, visited a shelter in northern Mexico - in Nogales, Sonora, the Mexican state of Sonora - where one woman said her entire trip north was effectively a sexual assault. She was brought across the border by a man under false pretenses, taken to the city of Atlanta and, she says, used as a prostitute for years. Now, she's back in northern Mexico. That's where we found her.

If a wall is built all of this abuse of women and children at the border will cease overnight!

Would just one person answer the following question for me?:

What is so bad about a wall when compared to all the evil which is resulting from the lack of a wall?

Well, as long as the check from Mexico clears, who cares, right?

WizardofOz