Every day is a new circus.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Not sure if 'belong' is the word. I do have compassion on kids without homes and would that about 30 caring nations would recognize this as a global crisis and do something productive. We in the U.S. can afford a big chunk, but the UN needs to show they are more concerned with politics too! I think politically, you are correct.

41Then He will say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.42For I was hungry and you gave Me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave Me nothing to drink,43I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, I was naked and you did not clothe Me, I was sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’
44And they too will reply, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’
45Then the King will answer, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for Me.’
46And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

far as i can tell, we're giving them something to eat, something to drink, we're taking them in, we're clothing them

are we ministering to them?

Lon

far as i can tell, we're giving them something to eat, something to drink, we're taking them in, we're clothing them

are we ministering to them?
I think so, from some of the church ministries working on it. We can give to those ministries after researching that they are actually doing the job and doing it as we desire. It was my birthday last month. I started a donation drive for Compassion International. People are strapped I suppose, but all the money given, I gave. My sister put a little on the books, but Compassion does try to meet these needs and needs like them.

So to answer your question, "I think so, am not 100% (haven't found that answer yet in research)."

ok doser

so these children are getting better treatment than they got in their home countries, they're safer in custody than they were traveling across central america and mexico, we're fulfilling our obligations as Christians

looks to me like it's just as i called it - anna's only interest (and the only interest of the left) is to use these poor children as tools to smear trump

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
so these children are getting better treatment than they got in their home countries, they're safer in custody than they were traveling across central america and mexico, we're fulfilling our obligations as Christians

looks to me like it's just as i called it - anna's only interest (and the only interest of the left) is to use these poor children as tools to smear trump

Standard tactic from Trump's right - their usual defense to every notation of their misdeed or misstep is that it's politically motivated, they're being persecuted. Trump's administration is who used these children, unapologetically, as a tool to reduce immigration by using the fear of family separation. When called on it, people like doser try to flip the script.

ok doser

I think so, from some of the church ministries working on it. We can give to those ministries after researching that they are actually doing the job and doing it as we desire. It was my birthday last month. I started a donation drive for Compassion International. People are strapped I suppose, but all the money given, I gave. My sister put a little on the books, but Compassion does try to meet these needs and needs like them.

So to answer your question, "I think so, am not 100% (haven't found that answer yet in research)."

looks to me like you actually care about the children Lon - for those who feel compelled to help, go here: https://www.compassion.com/about/about-us.htm

Reactions: Lon

Right Divider

Body part
Standard tactic from Trump's right - their usual defense to every notation of their misdeed or misstep is that it's politically motivated, they're being persecuted. Trump's administration is who used these children, unapologetically, as a tool to reduce immigration by using the fear of family separation. When called on it, people like doser try to flip the script.
The same things were going on during the following administrations (at minimum):
  • Obama
  • Bush the Younger
  • Clinton
Why do you think that it's unique to Trump?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
The same things were going on during the following administrations (at minimum):

So in each of those administrations, the Attorney General decided to pull families apart to discourage asylum applications, even after being warned by his own people that it would do serious harm to the children?

Let's see that evidence. What have you got?

Why do you think that it's unique to Trump?

Because we only have evidence for that happening in the Trump administration. What do you have?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
looks to me like you actually care about the children Lon - for those who feel compelled to help, go here: https://www.compassion.com/about/about-us.htm

Gaslighting ^^

Actually, Trump and his party don’t care about the kids in cages

The question — do Republicans care about the suffering of asylum seekers? — should not be considered rhetorical. It is becoming increasingly clear that Republicans and evangelical conservatives specifically don’t care about “the stranger” fleeing oppression. That’s effectively what the data tell us.

In a recent CNN poll, 93 percent of Democrats and 60 percent of independents disapprove of how we have treated the asylum seekers, but 62 percent of Republicans approve of the conditions we’ve seen documents in the inspector general’s report and in news accounts. "There is a similarly large partisan divide over whether refugees from Central American countries should be able to seek asylum in the US. While a majority of Americans (60%) say yes, that stands at 85% among Democrats, 60% among independents and just 31% among Republicans."

. . . .

Here’s one reason for Republicans’ antipathy toward those seeking asylum: White evangelical Christians, who are the most solid Trump backers, look unfavorably upon refugees. Pew Research found in May 2018: “Roughly half of Americans (51%) say the U.S. has a responsibility to accept refugees into the country, while 43% say it does not.” The partisan divide is stark, however, with only 26 percent of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents saying the nation has a responsibility to accept refugees into the country. When you drill down on the numbers, you find this:

By more than two-to-one (68% to 25%), white evangelical Protestants say the U.S. does not have a responsibility to accept refugees. Other religious groups are more likely to say the U.S. does have this responsibility. And opinions among religiously unaffiliated adults are nearly the reverse of those of white evangelical Protestants: 65% say the U.S. has a responsibility to accept refugees into the country, while just 31% say it does not.

Well, that explains a lot. Greater percentages of every other religious group and religiously unaffiliated Americans all think there is a responsibility to take in refugees; the one group most enthusiastic about Trump is the least likely to care about the oppressed and desperate people seeking refuge.

It does make one rethink who comprises the “moral majority” in the United States. It’s not clear if white evangelicals’ cultish defense of Trump prompts them to agree with Trump on refugees or whether Trump, by playing to white grievances, has ramped up the xenophobia among his supporters.

In any event, Republicans overwhelmingly have rejected a central tenet in their own faith tradition (“For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in”). They reject the United States’ reputation for generosity and for compassion in taking in those fleeing intolerable conditions. They reject one of the enumerated universal human rights. Democrats are right to talk to voters about faith and what obligations go with their professed faith traditions.

What do we do with the calloused and indifferent Trump Republicans who feel no obligation to treat families humanely? You outvote them and thereby repudiate their cruelty and callousness. You vote your values.

Lon

Gaslighting ^^
:confused: Gaslighting: a form of psychological manipulation that seeks to sow seeds of doubt in a targeted individual or in members of a targeted group, making them question their own memory, perception, and sanity. -Psychology Today Gaslight

The new craze... everyone is "Gasligthing" you.... get over it.
It doesn't seem to fit. While statistics do show something, they don't show everything. If asked "as an American, do we owe illegal aliens a place to live" I'd say "no." However, if asked 'should we?" or "Does the bible say we should care for the Fatherless and widow?" my answer would be "yes." It is all in how the question is asked, either to purposefully marginalize me some odd statistic or to include me in solutions. Since media is really interested in what separates rather than what unites us, all statistics are set up to cast left against right instead of getting us all to stop wasting debate breath, and do something together. This thread? Also seems a bit caught up in that, if you don't mind the evaluation. I'm not a very good participant. I'm one of those guys who says, 'hold on a second, aren't we being duped to take sides? Is Soros sponsoring this thread? :idunno: