What if climate change is real and human caused--what should Christians do about it?

gcthomas

How do we go about "exercising restraint"?

Sent from my SM-A520F using TOL mobile app

Isn't it obvious to anyone with at least half a brain?

OK, for those with less than half a brain: stop stripping resources for short term financial gain and think long term; work to reduce environmental damage to maximise the abilities of future generations to manage crises; support the economic development of poor countries so that their populations will stabilise; stop propping up dictators that harm their national economic development; switch to low carbon technologies to reduce environmentally triggered population movements; support international bodies to mediate international disputes and shared resources.

That'll do for a start. We need rich countries will low population growth that don't put short term gain above long term cooperative planning.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Isn't it obvious to anyone with at least half a brain?

OK, for those with less than half a brain: stop stripping resources for short term financial gain and think long term; work to reduce environmental damage to maximise the abilities of future generations to manage crises; support the economic development of poor countries so that their populations will stabilise; stop propping up dictators that harm their national economic development; switch to low carbon technologies to reduce environmentally triggered population movements; support international bodies to mediate international disputes and shared resources.

That'll do for a start. We need rich countries will low population growth that don't put short term gain above long term cooperative planning.
And what do you propose be done to enforce all this?

gcthomas

And what do you propose be done to enforce all this?

The Paris accord for one. A better run and funded World Bank. A reform of the UN to stop a few countries preserving their politicolegal dominance, Leaders of the large nations should realise that they should start leading, instead of pandering to the literary common denominator of uneducated isolationist political opinion.

Really, the bodies to do this exist, with only political will the tricky thing to find. To much focus on short termism.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Paris accord for one. A better run and funded World Bank. A reform of the UN to stop a few countries preserving their politicolegal dominance, Leaders of the large nations should realise that they should start leading, instead of pandering to the literary common denominator of uneducated isolationist political opinion.

Really, the bodies to do this exist, with only political will the tricky thing to find. To much focus on short termism.
What should be done to enforce your ideas?

The Paris accords have nothing in the way of enforcement.

gcthomas

What should be done to enforce your ideas?

The Paris accords have nothing in the way of enforcement.

Leadership, not enforcement, is needed. The US is the only nation working against the Paris Agreement, now that every single other nation had signed up. US leadership would help it to work to it's fullest extent. The US presidency seems keen to undermine international political and economic relationships for the President's short term sacrifices to the batting crowds. A more intelligent man could have done some good work to help the world deal with future crises.

gcthomas

Virtually all nations want to develop economically, which will develop a desire to look to the longer term. There is already an international back for funding development, international courts for punishing offending leaders, United Nations bodies for coordinating actions across the world. Encouragement and enablement and leadership will let you take countries along with you. Nationalism destroys all this, so it is sad to see the US abandoning it's leadership role for a more coercive approach to international relations.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Sounds like you want everyone to hold hands and just get along.

To ensure compliance in the real world, enforcement is required.

Not likely to get any effective enforcement country v. country. Enforcement would need to be in the nature of $. Sanctions or benefits. Without the leadership of the economically developed countries that is not likely to happen. So what does that mean? Throw your hands in the air and let your god deal with it?
The US should be at the forefront of attempts to deal with climate change. Our current White House resident is simply not smart enough, nor does he care enough. Although if there were some climate change solution he could brand with his name and add to his fortune, he would be in front.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
How do we go about "exercising restraint"?

That's the beauty of it. We get choices, if we decide to do something. If not, nature will do it for us. And you won't like that.

Life isn't always the way you'd like it to be, Stipe. Learn to adjust.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Nationalism destroys all this, so it is sad to see the US abandoning it's leadership role for a more coercive approach to international relations.

Trumpy's "America first" slogan is really "America alone". Moronic. but elections do have consequences. Shame on us.

Derf

Wrong ice age. Try again.

There hasn't been one since. There was a cold spell in the Northern latitudes often called the Little Ice Age, but it wasn't actually an ice age of course. Which ice age were you thinking of?

This is actually a very good discussion, because history is the only thing we have to go on, for the most part. But which history?

We have a history that has been pieced together trying to interpret the rocks and ice cores and whatever, vs. a written history.

Christians (remember the thread title) are on both sides of the history argument. Personally, I side with the written history--it's either more trustworthy or it's all bunk.

We also have written history about the "cold spell". And we've been collecting some sort of temperature measurements for a few hundred years--only recently has it been so extensive.

So the trends from this latter "written" history are much more trustworthy, imo, but they don't go back far enough to determine trends accurately.

Finally, we have "models". These seem like they have great potential, but they are also wrong regularly, at least on a year-to-year scale.

gcthomas

Personally, I side with the written history--it's either more trustworthy or it's all bunk.

There is a good reason why law courts treat all testimony unsupported by physical evidence as suspect. You can keep testing reallity, but people have all sorts of reasons for writing what they write.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Virtually all nations want to develop economically, which will develop a desire to look to the longer term. There is already an international back for funding development, international courts for punishing offending leaders, United Nations bodies for coordinating actions across the world. Encouragement and enablement and leadership will let you take countries along with you. Nationalism destroys all this, so it is sad to see the US abandoning it's leadership role for a more coercive approach to international relations.
When you're finished wailing, how about answering the question.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not likely to get any effective enforcement country v. country. Enforcement would need to be in the nature of $. Sanctions or benefits. Without the leadership of the economically developed countries that is not likely to happen. So what does that mean? Throw your hands in the air and let your god deal with it?
The US should be at the forefront of attempts to deal with climate change. Our current White House resident is simply not smart enough, nor does he care enough. Although if there were some climate change solution he could brand with his name and add to his fortune, he would be in front.
Who are you? :idunno:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That's the beauty of it. We get choices, if we decide to do something. If not, nature will do it for us. And you won't like that.

If you don't know, feel free to just say so.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Should I have used shorter words, Stripe? You really should learn to read. :chuckle:
Reality.

The US excited the Paris accords.

In all likelihood, most of the nations in it will fall well short of their promises.

But Paris is your answer to so-called overpopulation.

So, again, how are you going to enforce your ideas?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian chuckles:

If you don't know, feel free to just say so.

You don't know how to reduce population growth? No idea? Easiest way is to increase properity. As affluence rises, fertility rates decline.

I thought you said you knew about this stuff, Stipe. Is this like your attempt to pretend you had learned about Earth science?