What is your definition of racism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by musterion View Post
    Just had a great conversation with an old Navy vet like myself. He was in around the same time I was. Said in boot he had to take a remedial swim class. Everybody sitting in the bleachers in the class was black. He truly believes this general aversion to swimming is an indication of some genetic feature of black folks.

PC says it is racist for any white person to simply observe that black people certainly can but typically don't like to swim. Is it racist?
    What about Caribbean folks? We swim like fishes. How do you calculate that?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MarcATL View Post

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
      i was pondering that

for urban black americans, access to swimming opportunities usually means municipal swimming pools, as the rivers that flow through most cities are not fit for recreation

for those blacks who have access to clean rivers or beaches, I would suspect a higher degree of swimming ability

it would make an interesting study

do you have any idea how prevalent recreational swimming is in africa?

Comment

Did anyone watch the video I posted?

Sent from my SM-G920V using TheologyOnline mobile app
        Your problem is not technology. The problem is YOU. You lack the will to change...You treat this planet as you treat each other. - Klaatu

What are you talking about? There is no such thing as the "Mafia"......it doesn't exist. Just a bunch of lies told to defame honest hardworking Italians like myself. - TomO

I will do you, let's see, goofy, wacky, and to the left side of the bell curve
        . -Ktoyou

I'm white. I'm not black. I can't convert to being black. It doesn't matter how much I want to become black. I could listen to rap and date fat white women all day; for all that, I'll still remain white.- Traditio

Comment

Originally posted by ok doser View Post
          i was pondering that

for urban black americans, access to swimming opportunities usually means municipal swimming pools, as the rivers that flow through most cities are not fit for recreation

for those blacks who have access to clean rivers or beaches, I would suspect a higher degree of swimming ability

it would make an interesting study

do you have any idea how prevalent recreational swimming is in africa?
          In competitive swimming having access to elite swim clubs and coaching is crucial for success. And this is expensive. There are probably lots of black kids that have talent for swimming but can't afford joining a swim club.

Your problem is not technology. The problem is YOU. You lack the will to change...You treat this planet as you treat each other. - Klaatu

What are you talking about? There is no such thing as the "Mafia"......it doesn't exist. Just a bunch of lies told to defame honest hardworking Italians like myself. - TomO

. -Ktoyou

I'm white. I'm not black. I can't convert to being black. It doesn't matter how much I want to become black. I could listen to rap and date fat white women all day; for all that, I'll still remain white.- Traditio

Comment

Originally posted by The Berean View Post
            Did anyone watch the video I posted?

i did, and commented on it

in the other thread which was closed

"racism presupposes the ability to control a significant segment of the population economically, politically and socially by imposing law, covenant and restriction on their lives"

I can't do any of that stuff

heck, I don't even know what some of it is

therefore, I'm not racist!

Comment

In competitive swimming having access to elite swim clubs and coaching is crucial for success. And this is expensive. There are probably lots of black kids that have talent for swimming but can't afford joining a swim club.

i was fortunate enough to spend summers on a river that was/is clean enough to drink - i spent whole summers as a kid wearing nothing but a bathing suit and a t-shirt - hated putting shoes on in the fall

Comment

i did, and commented on it

in the other thread which was closed

"racism presupposes the ability to control a significant segment of the population economically, politically and socially by imposing law, covenant and restriction on their lives"

I can't do any of that stuff

heck, I don't even know what some of it is

therefore, I'm not racist!
                No, that video. p: The one I posted yesterday. The filmmaker asked people if racism exists everyday? Then he asks them to give an example or racism that they witnessed. Their answers were intetesting.

. -Ktoyou

Comment

This is a reall interesting video. The filmmaker interviewed a group of people to ask them about the definition of "racism" and to give examples of racism they have witnessed or encountered. It's really interesting.

i may watch it later - too long for right now, i got painting to get to

bought me one of these bad boys!

Comment

It's worth watching.

Sweet! A man's tool.

. -Ktoyou

Comment

• Originally posted by Tambora View Post
                      I think your statement is hogwash.

I don't think those that are successful and accomplished should have to "hold off" or stop pushing for excellence until the rest can catch up with them just so things will appear more equal.
                      Clearly, you didn't understand a word of what I wrote, because it had nothing to do with waiting for anyone to catch up.

Society is like high school, with the elite clique of pretty, rich, white kids getting all the advantages, and all the accolades, and all the attention. Except for a couple of exceptional kids who were't born into this clique, but that manage to excel enough to get some of those advantages and accolades, too. While everyone else is pretty much being left out of the "success party", to make their way as best they can.

And when those pretty, rich, white kids grow up and go out into the world they will be in charge of everything, because they were given every advantage and it will have been easy for them to succeed, and make it to the levers of power. Those few very extraordinary "regular kids" will probably do well, too, because they are exceptionally able and driven to succeed. While all the rest of the kids will end up at various levels of servitude,from management down to the lowest laborer.

And when those pretty, rich, white kids become pretty, rich, white bosses they will have pretty, rich, white children, who will take their place in the special clique of the advantaged kids. And the cycle will continue on. Because this is the power and the path of privilege. This is how success is made very easy to achieve for some, while it's made very difficult for others.

In America, we like to imagine that we are not a class-conscious society. Or a color conscious society. Yet these privileged cliques are almost always made up of pretty, rich, white people, whatever their context, and by every measure of success. Because we are lying to ourselves about this. We are a class based society and a class based economy, and the stratification runs exactly along racial lines. We just don't want to see it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ok doser View Post
                        unfortunately, for many people, this is the face of black america:
                        That is the face of POOR America.

Self appointed representative of the reality based community. [Send complaints to /dev/null.]

Comment

Why it gotta be white, why can't it be black?

That's racist

In other news, check out this insanity:
                          http://www.npr.org/2015/08/29/435833...ck-study-finds

Comment

• Originally posted by Angel4Truth View Post
                            Racism - when someone has an issue with or causes problems with others based (treats them differently) based on their race alone.

An example for me would be fear in areas that are predominately black and the assumption that they will harm me, or rob me, etc..

But my basis is experience, with it happening and seeing it happen.
                            Thanks Angel, This comes close to my definition. However, if everyone agrees we should cut a definition with a scapel and not a broad sword, then it wouldn't be necessarily racist for women to be cautious around young white men acting and looking like hoodlums, and that means profiling is not necessarially racist, right?

For me people all belong to one family. They came from Adam and Eve. BUT... I Generally think men can be dangerous more often to me than women. Is that sexist? I doubt it.
                            Remember Trump saying the mother of a hero might have had to be quiet because of her husband? Everyone around me screamed bloody murder. Military is tuff on that stuff, right? But, listen, she was WEARING CULTURAL CLOTHING. Unfortunately a culture that wears clothes like what she was wearing can be HORRIBLE about suppressing women! Is that racist? What if she had been wearing a nuns outfit? Are you saying it wouldn't have drawn attention? Please. The word racist is being used by people who can't seem to think about anything but the most superficial thoughts.

Comment

• Originally posted by gcthomas View Post
                              It is more likely that since blacks are concentrated in the poorer sectors of society then either social or financial factors prevented them getting access to swimming pools. Proposing the idea of genetic causes are little more than antiscientific post-hoc justifications of their own racist feelings.
                              Oops, forgot to mention. He's black.

Originally posted by MarcATL View Post
                              Dunno. How you swim with dreads, mon?
                              "There is one thing worse than going to Hell. That would be going to Hell and having it be a surprise."
                              Terence Mc Lean

[most will be very surprised]

Everyone who has not believed the Gospel of grace is not saved, no matter what else they believe or do.
                              By that measure, how many professing Christians are on their way to the Lake of Fire?

Comment

You bought yourself a pretty white boy?

I knew it.
                                "There is one thing worse than going to Hell. That would be going to Hell and having it be a surprise."
                                Terence Mc Lean

[most will be very surprised]

Everyone who has not believed the Gospel of grace is not saved, no matter what else they believe or do.
                                By that measure, how many professing Christians are on their way to the Lake of Fire?

Comment

Working...
                                X