What is your definition of racism?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
i may watch it later - too long for right now, i got painting to get to :wave2:

bought me one of these bad boys! :banana:

71bx7RYgrYL._SL1469_.jpg

Why it gotta be white, why can't it be black?

That's racist :AMR:

In other news, check out this insanity:
http://www.npr.org/2015/08/29/43583...pull-trigger-when-target-is-black-study-finds

Sigh

Racism - when someone has an issue with or causes problems with others based (treats them differently) based on their race alone.

An example for me would be fear in areas that are predominately black and the assumption that they will harm me, or rob me, etc..

But my basis is experience, with it happening and seeing it happen.

Thanks Angel, This comes close to my definition. However, if everyone agrees we should cut a definition with a scapel and not a broad sword, then it wouldn't be necessarily racist for women to be cautious around young white men acting and looking like hoodlums, and that means profiling is not necessarially racist, right?

For me people all belong to one family. They came from Adam and Eve. BUT... I Generally think men can be dangerous more often to me than women. Is that sexist? I doubt it.
Remember Trump saying the mother of a hero might have had to be quiet because of her husband? Everyone around me screamed bloody murder. Military is tuff on that stuff, right? But, listen, she was WEARING CULTURAL CLOTHING. Unfortunately a culture that wears clothes like what she was wearing can be HORRIBLE about suppressing women! Is that racist? What if she had been wearing a nuns outfit? Are you saying it wouldn't have drawn attention? Please. The word racist is being used by people who can't seem to think about anything but the most superficial thoughts.

musterion

It is more likely that since blacks are concentrated in the poorer sectors of society then either social or financial factors prevented them getting access to swimming pools. Proposing the idea of genetic causes are little more than antiscientific post-hoc justifications of their own racist feelings.

Oops, forgot to mention. He's black.

What about Caribbean folks? We swim like fishes. How do you calculate that?

Dunno. How you swim with dreads, mon?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
That is the face of POOR America.

no - there are more impoverished whites in america than blacks

the pic i attached is the face the media presents of poor black america

most of poor black america looks like the kids i taught, who were generally well-behaved and eager to learn, and could have been successful if they had been given non-chaotic classrooms in which to do it

musterion

So the black man I met today said he believes black folks have an innate avoidance of swimming. I even offered that perhaps because many of them are from urban areas where often there is no place to swim, it's frightening. He said that's often true but is convinced it's much deeper, something genetic (that's the word he used).

If you disagree with his opinion of other black people - and of himself before he forced himself to learn how - and if you're white - then you must be racist for saying you know black people better than a black man does.

If you disagree with his opinion, and you're black, why should anyone accept your view over his?

The Berean

So the black man I met today said he believes black folks have an innate avoidance of swimming. I even offered that perhaps because many of them are from urban areas where often there is no place to swim, it's frightening. He said that's often true but is convinced it's much deeper, something genetic (that's the word he used).
And his evidence for this is?

If you disagree with his opinion of other black people - and of himself before he forced himself to learn how - and if you're white - then you must be racist for saying you know black people better than a black man does.
Agains what is his evidence? Has he done some sort of scientific investigation comparing large numbers of swimmers?

If you disagree with his opinion, and you're black, why should anyone accept your view over his?

Apparently, Simone Manuel did not get that memo.

The Berean

Ok, a bit of my family's history. My father immigrated to the US from Mexico as part of the Bracero Program in 1961. My mother immigrated from Mexico in the mid 1950's as a child. She was sponsored by one of her aunts. In the mid 1970's one of my father's brothers and several cousins of mine immigrated to the US to work as farm laborers. Here is how their children did in terms of education.

My Family-5 children
6 college degrees including 2 master's degrees, and one sheriff's deputy

Uncle's family- 4 children
5 college degrees and teaching credential

Cousin #1- 1 child
1 college degree

Cousin #2- 1 child
1 college degree

Cousin #3- 2 children
1 college degree, younger child in college and the older child will attend grad school soon.

Cousin #4- 3 children
oldest in college, other 2 kids pre teens.

One of my cousins decided to go to community college in his 40's because he was kind of bored and got his two-year degree in 18 months. All this from one family from a small village in Mexico. If the US is so racist how is this even possible? :idunno: Maybe, just maybe, if people make education a priority good things can happen?

Last edited:

musterion

Ok, a bit of my family's history. My father immigrated to the US from Mexico as part of the Bracero Program in 1961. My mother immigrated from Mexico in the mid 1950's as a child. She was sponsored by one of her aunts. In the mid 1970's one of my father's brothers and several cousins of mine immigrated to the US to more as famr laborers. Here is how their children did in terms of education.

My Family-5 children
6 college degrees including 2 master's degrees, and one sheriff's deputy

Uncle's family- 4 children
5 college degrees and teaching credential

Cousin #1- 1 child
1 college degree

Cousin #2- 1 child
1 college degree

Cousin #3- 2 children
1 college degree, younger child in college and the older child will attend grad school soon.

Cousin #4- 3 children
oldest in college, other 2 kids pre teens.

One of my cousins decided to go to community college in his 40's because he was kind of bored and got his two-year degree in 18 months. All this from one family from a small village in Mexico. If the US is so racist how is this even possble? :idunno: Maybe, just maybe, if people make education a priority good things can happen?

Cool story but sorry, the Black Experience trumps all others.

My Scotch-Irish forebears were considered diseased, potato-scraping scum, one of whom - Hell Raising Jones - was hanged for stomping a woman to death.

The Berean

Cool story but sorry, the Black Experience trumps all others.
Not anymore! Homosexuals and transgenders are higher up on the "protected class" chart! :p Remember when former NBA player Tim Hardaway said something negative about homosexuals? The SJW goons destroyed him.

My Scotch-Irish forebears were considered diseased, potato-scraping scum, one of whom - Hell Raising Jones - was hanged for stomping a woman to death.

The Irish certainly had it rough in the 19th century.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Clearly, you didn't understand a word of what I wrote, because it had nothing to do with waiting for anyone to catch up.

Society is like high school, with the elite clique of pretty, rich, white kids getting all the advantages, and all the accolades, and all the attention. Except for a couple of exceptional kids who were't born into this clique, but that manage to excel enough to get some of those advantages and accolades, too. While everyone else is pretty much being left out of the "success party", to make their way as best they can.

And when those pretty, rich, white kids grow up and go out into the world they will be in charge of everything, because they were given every advantage and it will have been easy for them to succeed, and make it to the levers of power. Those few very extraordinary "regular kids" will probably do well, too, because they are exceptionally able and driven to succeed. While all the rest of the kids will end up at various levels of servitude,from management down to the lowest laborer.

And when those pretty, rich, white kids become pretty, rich, white bosses they will have pretty, rich, white children, who will take their place in the special clique of the advantaged kids. And the cycle will continue on. Because this is the power and the path of privilege. This is how success is made very easy to achieve for some, while it's made very difficult for others.

In America, we like to imagine that we are not a class-conscious society. Or a color conscious society. Yet these privileged cliques are almost always made up of pretty, rich, white people, whatever their context, and by every measure of success. Because we are lying to ourselves about this. We are a class based society and a class based economy, and the stratification runs exactly along racial lines. We just don't want to see it.

The problem with that argument is that is not about race, it's about comparing a current disadvantage of certain people to those with advantage, and trying to make it about race.

The current President is black. Judicial courts, police departments, politics, the upper classes, and the elite- all have blacks integrated within. So obviously the disadvantage is not about race, it's about one's upbringing.

Black people are largely seen as at a disadvantage, exclusively, because society's attention has chosen to be exclusive about who they see at a disadvantage :rolleyes:

This is what has happened with constantly bringing up race- the sooner it dies, the sooner problems will actually get solved. But right now, people want to instead keep the stigma running, and favor certain groups while ignoring others or even at the expense of others.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
When I was a kid white kids were called "sufers". No idea why. No one I knew actually surfed. Some were called "Okies", probably a reference from the Great Depression.

I bet the 'surfer' term was in connection to serfs (poor field laborers), which was common during the depression also.
But who knows. :idunno:
Some of the terms used can be quite imaginative.