What is your definition of racism?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Don't know about your conversation, but Malcom left the Nation, eventually going on a pilgrimage to Mecca. That trip changed him profoundly.

From his Letter from Mecca:

You may be shocked by these words coming from me. But on this pilgrimage, what I have seen, and experienced, has forced me to re-arrange much of my thought-patterns previously held, and to toss aside some of my previous conclusions. This was not too difficult for me. Despite my firm convictions, I have always been a man who tries to face facts, and to accept the reality of life as new experience and new knowledge unfolds it. I have always kept an open mind, which is necessary to the flexibility that must go hand in hand with every form of intelligent search for truth.

During the past eleven days here in the Muslim world, I have eaten from the same plate, drunk from the same glass, and slept in the same bed (or on the same rug)--while praying to the same God--with fellow Muslims, whose eyes were the bluest of blue, whose hair was the blondest of blond, and whose skin was the whitest of white. And in the words and in the actionsin the deeds of the 'white' Muslims, I felt the same sincerity that I felt among the black African Muslims of Nigeria, Sudan, and Ghana.

We were truly all the same (brothers)--because their belief in one God had removed the white from their minds, the white from their behavior, and the white from their attitude.

I could see from this, that perhaps if white Americans could accept the Oneness of God, then perhaps, too, they could accept in reality the Oneness of Man--and cease to measure, and hinder, and harm others in terms of their 'differences' in color.

Now to my mind he was still missing something: that he was guilty of thinking in terms of color even as he was considering the error of his earlier assumptions. It's a shame his life was cut short by assassins sent from the Nation of Islam to stop him and his new movement.​

You mean they did what he taught them.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You mean they did what he taught them.
I mean he had a very different opinion about things after he left the Nation, which is what you see in that letter and why the Nation silenced him. He was a man open to expanding his understanding. That process was well under way when he was murdered.

It's important for us to be as open to changing an opinion grounded in the earlier work and affiliation.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I mean he had a very different opinion about things after he left the Nation, which is what you see in that letter and why the Nation silenced him. He was a man open to expanding his understanding. That process was well under way when he was murdered.

It's important for us to be as open to changing an opinion grounded in the earlier work and affiliation.
It doesnt change that he was a very violent man, who taught others to be, that hated whites as much as the kkk hated blacks.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It doesnt change that he was a very violent man, who taught others to be, that hated whites as much as the kkk hated blacks.
And the man who wrote Amazing Grace worked as a slaver until he understood better. That's all I'm really noting, that the Malcom you see before Mecca is a different guy than what followed and what was in the process of flowing from that, which is precisely why those with a vested interest in the old Malcom murdered him.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
And the man who wrote Amazing Grace worked as a slaver until he understood better. That's all I'm really noting, that the Malcom you see before Mecca is a different guy than what followed and what was in the process of flowing from that, which is precisely why those with a vested interest in the old Malcom murdered him.

There wasnt long enough afterward to know. He still didnt seem to stop hating white people so much, and thats as wrong as it going the other way.

Like it or not, liberals cause the hatred to grow, they fester it, what is the end result they seek? White people picking cotton or hung? Seems what they are after to me, they are only destroying the black communities they claim they help.

Your talking to a woman whose neighbors wrote get out whitey on a friends garage when we were only a few families left that were white in our poor neighborhood, oh and they burned his house to the ground while he was in the process of moving.

The burnt remnants are still there today and it happened 20 years ago.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
There wasnt long enough afterward to know. He still didnt seem to stop hating white people so much, and thats as wrong as it going the other way.
I couldn't disagree more. Read the letter. Read what he wrote and where he was taking his followers before his killing. He wouldn't have been assassinated by the Nation of Islam if he'd continued to toe that line.

Here's a bit of an article on the point in the Telegraph with a link at the end:

A COLLECTION of journals and letters belonging to Malcolm X show the black activist realising on a visit to Mecca at that he had been wrong to propagate virulent anti-white rhetoric...​
In a journal he kept on his first pilgrimage to Mecca in 1964 he writes that the religious experience made him realise he had been wrong to castigate people on the basis of their colour...Other entries show how he then realised that it was not race but a person's intentions that mattered. "Out of the sudden darkness comes sudden light. My, how fortune can change," he wrote. (link: from Mecca 'made Malcolm X change', The Telegraph, UK)

Like it or not, liberals cause the hatred to grow, they fester it, what is the end result they seek?
I don't think that's true, but it isn't the reason I nudged in. Just wanted to put in some information on the point about Malcom. To my mind, as with conservatism, there are good ideas and awful ones and the trick is to cull the awful and appreciate the good.

Good to talk with you though. I'll butt out of the conversation. :cheers:

PureX

It's mostly liberals who have a privileged social status these days and they hold sway over a vast amount of wealth in this country. Paleoconservatives hold a very small slice.
The republican party is the party of the rich, and of the white, and everything it does is being done to advance that white hyper wealth and privilege. EVERYTHING. The fact that they cannot win elections with their rich patron's votes, alone, and so much pander to ignorant white racists, religious bigots, and social extremists who are so blinded by their own ignorance and bias that they can be tricked into voting against their own best interests, is why the folks around here are voting for them.

It's true that a lot of conservative republicans are not rich, but that's because they are so ignorant and bigoted that they will vote for the party of the rich, and against their own interest, because they are being blinded by their own stupidity.

PureX

I couldn't say why it is, just like I can't pinpoint all attractions. It's not like I've never found black or Asian women attractive or have any issues with different cultures (I embrace a lot of them).
Sexual attraction is a complex phenomena. There are likely a lot of reasons behind it that we are not aware of. Many of which have nothing to do with bigotry. Some of which likely do, though.

PureX

So you think places like Chinatown and little italy, etc should be broken up because of their obvious racism in choosing a preference to be with like others?

I bet those places just burn you up dont they?
It's fascinating watching your posts fly off at light speed into the most absurd and meaningless tangents! Your desire to respond with a cutting insult is so intense that your brain just can't keep up. And any wild tangent has to suffice.

Thank you for the chuckle.

:chuckle:

PureX

Yeah, this guy right here (la me), who grew up in a fatherless home in the inner suburbs, was institutionalized, seen jail, and has a hard time finding a worthwhile job outside of seasonal occupation- is definitely protecting their 'white privileged social status'.
When you have so little of it, it just becomes all the more precious. And when you carry around that much resentment, you gotta send it "down stream".

The Berean

It seems no one has posted the actual dictrionary defintion of racism?

Definition of racism

1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

2 a : a doctrine or political program based on the assumption of racism and designed to execute its principles

b : a political or social system founded on racism

3: racial prejudice or discrimination

ClimateSanity

The republican party is the party of the rich, and of the white, and everything it does is being done to advance that white hyper wealth and privilege. EVERYTHING. The fact that they cannot win elections with their rich patron's votes, alone, and so much pander to ignorant white racists, religious bigots, and social extremists who are so blinded by their own ignorance and bias that they can be tricked into voting against their own best interests, is why the folks around here are voting for them.

It's true that a lot of conservative republicans are not rich, but that's because they are so ignorant and bigoted that they will vote for the party of the rich, and against their own interest, because they are being blinded by their own stupidity.

You are living in fantasy land. Everything you said is pure BS. Most non establishment Republicans are poor rural and lack higher education.

ClimateSanity

Definition of racism

1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

2 a : a doctrine or political program based on the assumption of racism and designed to execute its principles

No one in America believes #1 except those living under a rock or 90 years of age or better. And yet, if you disagree with them on BLM , you are a hateful racist.

#3 is often mistaken for cultural preference that just happens to have one race as it's main constituency.

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber

Definition of racism

By dictionary definiton, the BLM doctrine and political program is racist; just as anti-liberals have known all along.

The Berean

No one in America believes #1 except those living under a rock or 90 years of age or better. And yet, if you disagree with them on BLM , you are a hateful racist.

#3 is often mistaken for cultural preference that just happens to have one race as it's main constituency.
I don'think that's true. Many, many, people believe #1 in some form. They are just not willing to admit it in public because being called a "racist" is considered the worst form of public shaming.

In the video I posted "A Conversation About Race" the filmmaker asked people questions about race. He told them that the NBA is over 80% African-American. He then asked them why there are so many African-American players in the NBA? A lot of the people said because African-Americans are "better athletes" than whites! They actually said that on camera! Then the filmmaker told the people that whites perform better than African-Americans academically and asked them why that is so? He asked them if it is possible that whites are "more intelligent" than black people in general. Not one person was willing to admit this possibility. The filmmaker then asked him why are they so willing to accept that blacks are better athletes than whites but not willing accept the possibility that white people are more intelligent than black people. It seems to me that the filmmake exposed hyocrisy.

Last edited:

ClimateSanity

I don'think that's true. Many, many, people believe #1 in some form. They are just not willing to admit it in plublic because being called a "racist" is considered the worst form of public shaming.

In the video I posted "A Conversation About Race" the filmmaker asked people questions about race. He told them that the NBA is over 80% African-American. He then asked them why there are so many African-American players in the NBA? A lot of the people said because African-Americans are "better athletes" than whites! They actually said that on camera! Then the filmmaker told the people that whites perform better than African-Americans academically and asked them why that is so? He asked them if it is possible that whites are "more intelligent" than black people in general. Not one person was willing to admit this possibility. The filmmaker then asked him why are they so willing to accept that blacks are better athletes than whites but not willing accept the possibility that white people are more intelligent than black people. It seems to me that the filmmake exposed hyocrisy.

People don't think deeply when answering these questions. It's obvious to any breathing Americans that African Americans do better than whites in athletics and worse than whites on intelligence tests.

They can either try to find the deeper answer to that phenomenon or be lazy and just don't think about it resulting in them assigning it to race intrinsically.

The actual answer to both phenomena is in the culture. African Americans are not taught to value educationas it is a white thing to do. Whites don't spend anywhere near the time in athletic pursuits as blacks.

The results of that over time are guaranteed.

PureX

You are living in fantasy land. Everything you said is pure BS. Most non establishment Republicans are poor rural and lack higher education.
Yup, and they are the racists, religious bigots, and social extremists that the party of the rich rely upon to vote against their own interests, and in favor of wealthy white privileges that they and their kids will never get to enjoy.

That's you, pal. Helping the rich get richer, and yourselves get poorer, by playing the ignorant patsy for the party of the rich, election after election after election.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
By dictionary definiton, the BLM doctrine and political program is racist; just as anti-liberals have known all along.
You failed to connect the definition as given with the movement. It isn't a prima facie case, so your conclusion is really just more assumption, a lot of lumber and nary a nail to be seen.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Correct, and they are often both violent & anti-law-enforcement in their racism too.

You failed to connect the definition as given with the movement. It isn't a prima facie case, so your conclusion is really just more assumption, a lot of lumber and nary a nail to be seen.

More crapola from the King of Blah, Blah, Blah