The 2019 NFL Season is Finally Here!

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Top 10 teams after week one:

1. New England: Unless the next few weeks prove the Steelers have fallen over the edge, this was the best match of the week and the Pats made it look embarrassingly easy...and next week they add AB to the mix. The Pats defense was rock solid. Big Ben struggled against coverage, with a sub 60% completion, no tds, and one int. On offense, Brady was distributing the ball to his wrs so evenly there was no one to key on. And their running back by committee put up a hundred yards.

2. Kansas City: I know their defense is still suspect, but they toyed with a Jacksonville defense that has been fairly potent over the past few years. Mahomes is officially the boogeyman of the NFL. And while everyone in the media appears ready to crown New England, I'm not sure AB will be enough if the Chiefs improve at all defensively.
KC won't even be competitive unless their defense definitely does improve, because they're offensively neck and neck. NE's defense is Way better right now. I don't care if Mahomes can throw it with his foot, KC's overmatched right now.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
KC won't even be competitive unless their defense definitely does improve, because they're offensively neck and neck. NE's defense is Way better right now. I don't care if Mahomes can throw it with his foot, KC's overmatched right now.
I think if AB is in the fold instead of in court and can maintain they'll be close enough, offensively. But the defense isn't that different than last year for New England, though I look to move it up a bit with Bill being more directly involved. KC stumbled out of the gate in their playoff game last year largely, I think, because Mahomes was up to his neck in the best defensive looks he'd seen and caught by the moment of where he was...he settled down appreciably in the second half and the results were scary. The winner of that game came down to a coin flip, really.

You're getting second half Mahomes in the playoffs this year. I'm not sure anyone can stop them from representing the AFC. And I'm not sure what Tom is going to look like late in the season. But the acquisition of AB certainly has made it look more interesting.

On the NFC side, if they play to potential, I see this year as a Saints/Cowboys dust up with home field being the difference maker.

Quick looks at divisions:

AFC
East: :chuckle: Pats. No one likely to even whiff a WC else.
North: Baltimore looks strong early. Can the Steelers regroup? Could the Browns find their feet?
South: Houston, absent injury to Watson, which isn't a done deal given how often he's getting hit.
West: KC going away.

WC: Chargers...after that it's muddy.

NFC
East: Dallas/Philly...one of those two wins and the other is half the WC
North: GB
South: NO
West: Niners upset the Rams as Goff comes back to earth in huge SB letdown.

WC: Seattle and either the Cowboys or the Eagles, depending.

Jerry Shugart

Again, without math, this one looks like a safe bet. I'd take Carolina.

We both got this one wrong! But there can be no doubt that Dallas will beat the Redskins by more than five and a half points:

Dallas -5.5
At Washington

Dallas has one of the best group of receivers in the NFL and the Skins woun't be able to cover them. Look at what Jackson did to them last weekend.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
We both got this one wrong! But there can be no doubt that Dallas will beat the Redskins by more than five and a half points:

Dallas -5.5
At Washington

Dallas has one of the best group of receivers in the NFL and the Skins woun't be able to cover them. Look at what Jackson did to them last weekend.
Philly put up a few yards, but AP will be running for Washington and Case looked solid against a pretty good Eagle defense. I'll take the this one closer or a surprise upset.

Jerry Shugart

Philly put up a few yards, but AP will be running for Washington and Case looked solid against a pretty good Eagle defense. I'll take the this one closer or a surprise upset.

The Skins have a lot of starting players who are hurt and won't play so you still have time to change your mind. AP is not the same ole AP or else he would have been activated last week. But you are right about one thing--divisional games are usually closer than expected.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Skins have a lot of starting players who are hurt and won't play so you still have time to change your mind. AP is not the same ole AP or else he would have been activated last week. But you are right about one thing--divisional games are usually closer than expected.
AP rushed for over a thousand yards last year. He's still a very productive back. His teammates voted him their offensive MVP of the season and many of them were upset about the benching. It had nothing to do with AP falling off. AP wants to be the workhorse and his coach didn't want to deal with AP in his ear over the kid, Guise, whom Gruden had chosen and groomed to be the engine of the offense. Gruden wanted to get rid of him in the offseason, but ownership said no. There's a little appreciation and loyalty for the way AP represented AND Gruden is half out the door absent a very strong season.

As for the game, it's just a hunch. I'm still too busy for figures. Maybe next week?

Jerry Shugart

Let's look at these games:

At Pittsburgh -3.5
Seattle

After seeing that the Steelers are such a bad team last week I can't believe that they are favored over the Seahawks so I will take Seattle and the points.

At LA Rams -2
New Orleans

The Rams didn't look that good to me so I will take the Saints and the points.

Philadelphia -1.5
At Atlanta

Unless Atlanta improves significantly over the way they played last week the Eagles will crush them. So I take Philly and give the points.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Let's look at these games:

At Pittsburgh -3.5
Seattle

After seeing that the Steelers are such a bad team last week I can't believe that they are favored over the Seahawks so I will take Seattle and the points.

At LA Rams -2
New Orleans

The Rams didn't look that good to me so I will take the Saints and the points.

Philadelphia -1.5
At Atlanta

Unless Atlanta improves significantly over the way they played last week the Eagles will crush them. So I take Philly and give the points.
Can't fault you with any of these.

Jerry Shugart

Can't fault you with any of these.

Only one right and two wrong! At least the Cowboys sit at the top of the NFC East by themselves after shutting down AP and the running attack of the Skins! And so far this season Dak is playing heads and shoulders above Wentz!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Only one right and two wrong! At least the Cowboys sit at the top of the NFC East by themselves after shutting down AP and the running attack of the Skins! And so far this season Dak is playing heads and shoulders above Wentz!
Thanks for talking me off my inclination to take the Skins against Dallas by the spread. I'm 8-7 going into tonight's game.

Yes, it's a far cry from where I'd be using the math, but I have to admit there's something a lot more fun about doing it this way. :)

Oh, and tonight I have Cleveland handling their business and covering the the spread.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Jerry!!!

This may be your year.

Your Boys are looking like the best team in the NFC. I know it's early, but barring any major injuries, there is no reason why the Cowboys will not go to the Super Bowl.

However, the Patriots are looking scary good. Just hope your Boys don't have to play them in the Super Bowl.

My Steelers are toast. They were toast even with Roethlisberger. They have no running game, no defense, no receivers, and Ben looked old at times.

It will be kind of refreshing watching Mason Rudolf at QB the rest of the year (he's from Oklahoma State, your neck of the woods...lol) Hopefully he can play like some of the other good young QB's in the NFL.

I don't think Roethlisberger will ever play again. He's 37, and has been talking about retiring a lot before his injury.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Raven's Lamar Jackson has 7 passing TD's this year in two games.

Last year, he had 6 passing TD's for the entire year.

I don't think anyone saw this coming.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Looks like Eli may get benched.

With Ben out for the season, Eli benched, and Rivers not playing good against the 49'ers, that great QB class of 2004 may be in its final hour.

That 2004 QB class (Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, and Rivers) never came close to matching the great 1983 QB class of Elway, Marino, and Kelly.

Scary Stat: All six QB's combined from both classes have the same amount of Super Bowl wins as Tom Brady does by himself.

Jerry Shugart

On Sunday Dak Prescott passed Brees and Brady in all time passer rating

1 Rodgers 103.1
2 Wilson 100.9
3 Prescott 98.0
4 Brady 97.8
5 Brees 97.7

Jerry Shugart

What about these point spreads?:

At New England -23
NY Jets

At Dallas -21.5
Miami

I am going to have to take the points in both games.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What about these point spreads?:

At New England -23
NY Jets
That's a lot of points...and you have the dreaded starting qb down thing going on, which can be problematic. That said, last year the Pats thumped them 38-3 at NE. . . but could only muster a 14 pt win on the road.

The year before they won by 20 at home and 7 on the road.

So recent history is against them. And if there was any qb play to rely on, along with AB, I'd say this one might be even closer. But the qb position is what? And there's an addition on the Pats that could kick things up a bit, along with the fact that we're early in the season, so Brady is fresh.

If they're ever going to put a stomping on the Jets, this would be the game. But history is against it.

At Dallas -21.5
Miami

I am going to have to take the points in both games.
No recent history here, only a recent history of horrible, garbage effort by a stripped down Fins.

The Cowboys only put up 18 more than the woeful Giants at home. They beat Washington by 10 on the road...Miami is a very bad team. But are they that bad? Last year the Cowboys only double digit road margin came against the Colts. It went 23-0. So there is precedent.

The chance is that one of these will cover. Vegas is showing 70% of the action favoring the Pats cover and 68% for Dallas.

I'm going to go nuts and take Dallas to cover and the Jets to make it more interesting.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Here is the result of that game:

Colts 23
Cowboys 0
:chuckle: Well, at least I remembered the game and score correctly...and we can still say that they participated in a double digit blowout on the road. :plain: :eek:

Revenge time then, sort of...a chance to flex? I'll stick with your boys to do the damage.