Hurricane Dorian Becomes the 5th Atlantic Category 5 in 4 Years

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Just to confirm your thinking on this. You don't understand and so I am a stupid idiot?
No, you're a stupid idiot because you say stupid things.

"Elohim choses the foolish things of the world to confound the wise".

Bless you.

So then let's all just be idiots then! Is that your point?

You can just say the most mindlessly idiotic stupidity imaginable, no matter how far removed it is from whatever is being discussed and it's perfectly impenetrable to any scrutiny or criticism whatsoever because you're a loyal fool for God.

If you showed up to tell us that God was a one eyed purple people eater, what could anyone say to refute the foolishness you spout in God's name? Why do you even bother quoting the bible? Who needs it? You've got the magical "It's spiritually discerned and so I can any stupid thing I want!" trump card!

How does your utterly dysfunctional brain even keep your heart and lungs functioning?

Alate_One

as a chemist, i would recognize that as a tautology, that heat is energy

but not all energy is heat

Yes, agreed so, if you add more energy to the oceans and hurricanes are essentially heat dissipation engines, what do you expect will happen?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
That graph is misleading because it only counts "U.S. landfalling" hurricanes. A large percentage of hurricanes wind up hitting Central or South America, or curve up and die in the north Atlantic, and never impact the USA. (I know, I know. You don't care about those.)

Here is a complete graph of Atlantic basin hurricanes each year from 1851 to 2018:

Atl_hurricane_numbers_annotated_small_2018.png

As you can see, there definitely is a long-term trend, and it is rising.

So, according to your own graph, the trend line has increased by aproximately two whole storms per year, world wide, in the last 150 years. Big woop!

Even if it were two or three times that, (which it isn't), 150 years worth of data is less than 1% of an eye blink when compared to the sort of time scales you'd need to establish that such an increase is anything other than a return to the mean, never mind establish that it's a historically significant increase caused by human beings, (living in the United States primarily).

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
So, according to your own graph, the trend line has increased by aproximately two whole storms per year, world wide, in the last 150 years. Big woop!

Yes, upon further investigation, I find that I was incorrect in my interpretation of the data. According to NOAA:

"We find that..there is a small nominally positive upward trend in tropical storm occurrence from 1878-2006. But statistical tests reveal that this trend is so small, relative to the variability in the series, that it is not significantly distinguishable from zero. Thus the historical tropical storm count record does not provide compelling evidence for a greenhouse warming induced long-term increase."

Source: https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/historical-atlantic-hurricane-and-tropical-storm-records/

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
So you don't agree with NOAA?

i don't agree with their current model of hurricanes as "essentially heat dissipation engines", if that's their position, no

Indeed there are. That doesn't change the fact that ocean temperatures are rising.

i don't agree with that either, not given the paucity of the current data and the almost total lack of historical data with which to compare it.

ok doser

Yes, upon further investigation, I find that I was incorrect in my interpretation of the data. According to NOAA:

"We find that..there is a small nominally positive upward trend in tropical storm occurrence from 1878-2006. But statistical tests reveal that this trend is so small, relative to the variability in the series, that it is not significantly distinguishable from zero. Thus the historical tropical storm count record does not provide compelling evidence for a greenhouse warming induced long-term increase."

Source: https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/historical-atlantic-hurricane-and-tropical-storm-records/

thank you, UN, for your honesty

:think: pretty sure i've never typed that before

Alate_One

i don't agree with their current model of hurricanes as "essentially heat dissipation engines", if that's their position, no

i don't agree with that either, not given the paucity of the current data and the almost total lack of historical data with which to compare it.

Okay so reality is not happening gotcha. The corals in the great barrier reef seem to know . . .

ok doser

Okay so reality is not happening gotcha. The corals in the great barrier reef seem to know . . .

according to wiki:

In addition, approximately 400,000 years ago there was a particularly warm interglacial period with higher sea levels and a 4 °C (7 °F) water temperature change.[22]:37

doesn't your model hold that we're currently in an interglacial period?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned

Remember, the models that accurately predicted more strong storms did not predict more storms.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Hurricanes do have very complex structures, but they work entirely by heat, gravity, and the rotation of the Earth. The reason they die over land is that land holds less thermal energy than water, and the hurricane dissipates the heat faster than the earth can replace it.

Alate_One

I don't disagree that localized temperature changes occur, but I don't agree that their causes are known either

Atmospheric science is fairly well developed. We know what the inputs and outputs to the earth's system are. What are these nebulous unknowns you're positing?