How much should the government tax

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Not sure where to put this, as my position spans both the political and religious, so I'll put it here for now.

Only one type of tax is acceptable, a personal increase tax.

All others are not only counterproductive and destructive, but even sinful.

God said that a 10% tax was tyrannical.

A 0% tax cannot fund the government.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Is it? Are you sure? Or is just a line you bought into hook, line and sinker?
I would counter that if God established governments to bring fear into the hearts of the wicked, then by necessity He wants governments in the first place.

A wicked person is not going to bring fear into his own heart because he's wicked.

But a government (even a wicked one) puts fear into his heart, so that he does not become a burden on society.

drbrumley

I would counter that if God established governments to bring fear into the hearts of the wicked, then by necessity He wants governments in the first place.

A wicked person is not going to bring fear into his own heart because he's wicked.

You might want to tell that to Cain...

"I shall be a fugitive and a wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me.”

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
You might want to tell that to Cain...

"I shall be a fugitive and a wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me.”
Cain was talking with God, the Judge of all the earth.

Most wicked people reject even the idea of God (outwardly, at least), and they certainly don't talk with Him face to face.

And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. - John 3:19-20 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John3:19-20&version=NKJV

No, anarchy won't and cannot work, because men love darkness rather than light.

drbrumley

Why is taxation theft?

In the words of Murray Rothbard, who wrote in The Ethics of Liberty:

All other persons and groups in society (except for acknowledged and sporadic criminals such as thieves and bank robbers) obtain their income voluntarily: either by selling goods and services to the consuming public, or by voluntary gift (e.g., membership in a club or association, bequest, or inheritance). Only the State obtains its revenue by coercion, by threatening dire penalties should the income not be forthcoming. That coercion is known as “taxation,” although in less regularized epochs it was often known as “tribute.”

Taxation is theft, purely and simply, even though it is theft on a grand and colossal scale which no acknowledged criminals could hope to match. It is a compulsory seizure of the property of the State’s inhabitants, or subjects.

It would be an instructive exercise for the skeptical reader to try to frame a definition of taxation which does not also include theft. Like the robber, the State demands money at the equivalent of gunpoint; if the taxpayer refuses to pay his assets are seized by force, and if he should resist such depredation, he will be arrested or shot if he should continue to resist.

drbrumley

Who is going to make sure that the anarchy doesn't in time degrade into government though, which it surely will? That takes government.

I'm really not arguing for anarchy per se, as it is my belief there is no such thing as how the word is defined...

I am the government of my house As an example.