Derailment thread for any and all derailments

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Additionally, Peterson once wrote, “The purpose of life is finding the largest burden that you can bear and bearing it.”

This, of course, being a fundamentally different approach than his previous, "The purpose of life is finding the largest bear that you can burden and burdening it," as set out in his groundbreaking, "Philosophy is a Great Deal of Pooh." :poly:

Last edited:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Only our long standing friendship keeps me from being angry over the minutes I just wasted. :)

Sorry about that. :eek:

Favorite bits from it... "I act as if God exists."

When I was a kid we called that pretending.

"Did [Christ's] body resurrect? I don't know," should reasonably end any speculation about whether or not he's a Christian. That or he's really horrible at it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go listen to a spirit...by which I mean, of course, Kind of Blue, by Miles Davis.

He does a lot of that, throwing around stuff that sounds vaguely theological but has no meaning whatsoever.

I made the mistake of reading some of the comments under a different video. Here's a selection that's clean enough for TOL:

"If we really lived in a patriarchy we'd grab women by their hair and treat them like they treat women in Saudi Arabia and middle east. And honestly seeing what modern feminism has become I cant blame those countries for fearing to give women equal rights. Because women don't and equal rights. They want female superiority.... Feminism gave birth to intersectional feminism. Which gave birth to SJWs... And now the next James Bond will be played by a black woman."

"
Anytime you show me an out of control woman, I'll show you weak husbands, fathers, society, and government.. Most women are barely a step over children and NEED masculine leadership..."

"
Have you ever lived with a woman? They are the definition of chaos. I have a wife and daughter and they are both emotionally responsive to their environment. My son and I both are calm and reasoned in stressful situations."

"
What I have observed in most women are they prefer dominant males who are a bit inclined to cruelty. Another observation is, it seems women are more turned on by some amount of rough sex. No disrespect for women, this is just my observation."

"The female is irrational and illogical. This is why our ancestors parents selected the wife. Give a woman a choice and the result is our modern western world full of political correctness, immoral and deviant behavior, single motherhood destroying the next generation, etc.To fix these problems our first action must be to remove the vote from women."

And this is why feminism.

Adding in here someone else's take on Peterson:
It’s easy to assume Peterson is deserving of respect. A lot of what he says sounds, on the surface, like serious thought. It’s easy to laugh at him: after all, most of what he says is, after fifteen seconds’ consideration, completely inane. But in between his long rambling pseudo-academic takes on common self-help advice and his weird fixation on Disney movies, is a dreadfully serious message.

What he’s telling you is that certain people—most of them women and minorities—are trying to destroy not only our freedom to spite nonbinary university students for kicks, but all of Western civilization and the idea of objective truth itself. He’s telling you that when someone tells you racism is still a problem and that something should be done about it, they are, at best, a dupe and, at worst, part of a Marxist conspiracy to destroy your way of life.

Sound familiar?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Sorry about that. :eek:

He does a lot of that, throwing around stuff that sounds vaguely theological but has no meaning whatsoever.
It helps if you surround yourself with undergraduates, have a passing familiarity with seminal names in a few disciplines, along with at least a cursory understanding of their principle contributions, and gesture a lot. How he didn't manage to say "surreal" at some point I'll never know.

I made the mistake of reading some of the comments under a different video.
Were you surprised by them, or that the people who made them could write?

Here's a selection that's clean enough for TOL:
It's more than just that for TOL, but you forgot the attributions. Allow me. :)

"If we really lived in a patriarchy we'd grab women by their hair and treat them like they treat women in Saudi Arabia and middle east. And honestly seeing what modern feminism has become I cant blame those countries for fearing to give women equal rights. Because women don't and equal rights. They want female superiority.... Feminism gave birth to intersectional feminism. Which gave birth to SJWs... And now the next James Bond will be played by a black woman." Abraham Lincoln

"
Anytime you show me an out of control woman, I'll show you weak husbands, fathers, society, and government.. Most women are barely a step over children and NEED masculine leadership..." Homer (either)

"
Have you ever lived with a woman? They are the definition of chaos. I have a wife and daughter and they are both emotionally responsive to their environment. My son and I both are calm and reasoned in stressful situations." George C. Parker

"
What I have observed in most women are they prefer dominant males who are a bit inclined to cruelty. Another observation is, it seems women are more turned on by some amount of rough sex. No disrespect for women, this is just my observation." Lassie

"The female is irrational and illogical. This is why our ancestors parents selected the wife. Give a woman a choice and the result is our modern western world full of political correctness, immoral and deviant behavior, single motherhood destroying the next generation, etc.To fix these problems our first action must be to remove the vote from women." Harry Dumas

And this is why feminism.

Adding in here someone else's take on Peterson:
It’s easy to assume Peterson is deserving of respect. A lot of what he says sounds, on the surface, like serious thought. It’s easy to laugh at him: after all, most of what he says is, after fifteen seconds’ consideration, completely inane. But in between his long rambling pseudo-academic takes on common self-help advice and his weird fixation on Disney movies, is a dreadfully serious message.

What he’s telling you is that certain people—most of them women and minorities—are trying to destroy not only our freedom to spite nonbinary university students for kicks, but all of Western civilization and the idea of objective truth itself. He’s telling you that when someone tells you racism is still a problem and that something should be done about it, they are, at best, a dupe and, at worst, part of a Marxist conspiracy to destroy your way of life.

Sound familiar?
As the philosopher once said, "It do."

Regarding his fan club, well, they're some of the finest minds of their age...around the 12th Century, to be exact.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
It helps if you surround yourself with undergraduates, have a passing familiarity with seminal names in a few disciplines, along with at least a cursory understanding of their principle contributions, and gesture a lot. How he didn't manage to say "surreal" at some point I'll never know.

Were you surprised by them, or that the people who made them could write?
It's more than just that for TOL, but you forgot the attributions. Allow me. :)

"If we really lived in a patriarchy we'd grab women by their hair and treat them like they treat women in Saudi Arabia and middle east. And honestly seeing what modern feminism has become I cant blame those countries for fearing to give women equal rights. Because women don't and equal rights. They want female superiority.... Feminism gave birth to intersectional feminism. Which gave birth to SJWs... And now the next James Bond will be played by a black woman." Abraham Lincoln

"
Anytime you show me an out of control woman, I'll show you weak husbands, fathers, society, and government.. Most women are barely a step over children and NEED masculine leadership..." Homer (either)

"
Have you ever lived with a woman? They are the definition of chaos. I have a wife and daughter and they are both emotionally responsive to their environment. My son and I both are calm and reasoned in stressful situations." George C. Parker

"
What I have observed in most women are they prefer dominant males who are a bit inclined to cruelty. Another observation is, it seems women are more turned on by some amount of rough sex. No disrespect for women, this is just my observation." Lassie

"The female is irrational and illogical. This is why our ancestors parents selected the wife. Give a woman a choice and the result is our modern western world full of political correctness, immoral and deviant behavior, single motherhood destroying the next generation, etc.To fix these problems our first action must be to remove the vote from women." Harry Dumas

As the philosopher once said, "It do."

Regarding his fan club, well, they're some of the finest minds of their age...around the 12th Century, to be exact.

:chuckle: Thanks for the humor break. I'm chuckling, but it's really sooo not funny... hard to know where to begin.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
never the twain shall meet

Regarding Peterson? No, unfortunately.

He says the things you want to hear regarding authority, hierarchy, tradition, women, liberals. He sounds vaguely religious, he mentions God and scripture enough that if you squint your mind's eye a little you can see him as a believer, which he knows is necessary for many of you to accept him. He's raking in a lot of money speaking to a specific audience of disaffected males and/or whites and/or Christians who fear the decline of their cultural power and they need reassurance, so he takes billowy piles of words and spins them into a cozy quilt to wrap around them so they can sleep soundly at night, feeling safe in their patriarchy.

Last edited:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

He says the things you want to hear regarding authority, hierarchy, tradition, women, liberals. He sounds vaguely religious, he mentions God and scripture enough that if you squint your mind's eye a little you can see him as a believer, which he knows is necessary for many of you to accept him. He's raking in a lot of money speaking to a specific audience of disaffected males and/or whites and/or Christians who fear the decline of their cultural power and they need reassurance, so he takes billowy piles of words and spins them into a cozy quilt to wrap around them so they can sleep soundly at night, feeling safe in their patriarchy.

What a wonderfully thorough analysis of the man and his work based on your extensive investigation of what other people have to say about him

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

:) Good post.

He's a peacock, a pretender, a good deal of sound and fury in a carefully chosen teapot.

Comes with a bar of very soft soap if you're among the first to order.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You've probably already seen this one, but:
GOP-caravan-coming-1000x1000.jpg

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I almost answered this, but the chances are just too low that you're asking a sincere question. More likely you're waiting for me to say A so you can say B.

so you know what I want to hear
I don't know what you want to hear
so I ask
and
you won't answer because you know it is just a set up
you are so busy telling me about myself
you don't have any time to tell me about yourself