AMR No Longer With Us

nikolai_42

I haven't seen a thread about this recently, so I will post one here. I only learned this earlier this week, but Ask Mr. Religion passed into eternity on March 4th. He leaves behind a wife who is suffering with serious health issues and a son who I believe is her sole support. AMR had been going through some difficult times (that some or many here may already be aware of) so please keep his family in your prayers.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
He was a rock - i'm sorry to hear he's moved on to his final reward and will keep his family in my prayers

he will be missed for his contributions to the discussion here

Cricket

:(

AMR and I had a nice time on the short-lived Art of Smack forum.

He was a sound, sensible guy and would have made a great IRL friend.

I remember his words showed how much he cared for his wife. I hope she can be cared for with him gone.

Frustrating knowing such good people and not being able to help.

So sad.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
He was one of my first and best friends here over the years. When he was flush he'd send me theological volumes and always took time to speak with me about any number of things, offering wise counsel. Of late he had suffered financial setbacks that led to his house being foreclosed on and the last time I heard from him he was about to move out.

I assumed the silence that followed was him settling affairs and that I would hear from him, either here, at the other place, or by email. Patrick and I exchanged those too over the years.

He was a Vietnam veteran, a brilliant man, and a kind soul. I am sorry beyond words to learn of his passing and my prayers are with his wife and son.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
This news comes as a great shock and I am greatly concerned for the wife and son.

Does anyone know their circumstances?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
This news comes as a great shock and I am greatly concerned for the wife and son.

Does anyone know their circumstances?
I don't. I'd talked with Patrick and I knew he was supposed to move from his home the day after I learned that he'd died. I've never had any contact with them. I know she had mental and physical problems that, coupled with the general economic downturn, led to his financial ruin. He'd made arrangements for their relocation. I suppose the son is handling things now, but I haven't seen anything on his FB post from other members of the family and, as I said, my contact with Patrick was either here, at the new place, or via personal email.

I knew something was wrong when they all stopped, but I'd hoped it was only a part of the move. In a way, I guess it was.

Lon

I'm deeply saddened, a bit comforted by this news. I knew his health was bad but am saddened to see my brother's passing. He was and is, a wonderful brother, was my theologian mentor and confidant and my biggest encouragement here and on RTI. I will miss him greatly but am happy that tears and sorry, sickness and sadness are wiped away and a bit jealous of his preceding me there. 1 John 3:2

Breathe

It is with great sadness that I read this news. He was a good and decent man, and will be missed by many. I'm sure our Savior greeted him with open arms.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I don't. I'd talked with Patrick and I knew he was supposed to move from his home the day after I learned that he'd died. I've never had any contact with them. I know she had mental and physical problems that, coupled with the general economic downturn, led to his financial ruin. He'd made arrangements for their relocation. I suppose the son is handling things now, but I haven't seen anything on his FB post from other members of the family and, as I said, my contact with Patrick was either here, at the new place, or via personal email.

I knew something was wrong when they all stopped, but I'd hoped it was only a part of the move. In a way, I guess it was.

It saddens me to read this. I truly liked him very much. I never thought he had such health problems!

Reactions: Lon

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
AMR taught me how to do links
I will always remember that
Please don't hold it against him
We never got along
He was not happy with us Romans
Did anyone else know that he was a Jesuit priest?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It saddens me to read this. I truly liked him very much. I never thought he had such health problems!
He was a very good friend to me. Sent me theological tomes as presents. Schooled me early on about how to translate academia into internet rhetoric. Told me about Nam and his educational and professional experiences. He was a Mensa kid too.

Patrick lived a very interesting life. I'm saddened that it ended on the note that it did. Once upon a time he'd been so flush during the early internet explosion that he made employees into retirees. Generous, loyal, kind, and thoughtful. A rare breed.

Reactions: Lon

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
AMR, and I had some great discussions, I am very sad to read of his passing. whether any of you know or not AMR was an electrical engineer, he worked for Motorola in the development of the iridium constellation of satellites. He and I had many discussions many of which I still have in my PM box. Patrick will be greatly missed, I pray for his family in his absence...very sad.