Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it time for a new James Bond?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Arthur Brain View Post
    Interesting. I think Craig's and Dalton's portrayal of Bond is more in keeping with that although Connery is still classic.
    Sean Connery was the best.
    Daniel Craig surprised me, but I think he was a great James Bond.

    The one I think did the worst is Pierce Brosnan, though I loved him in Remington Steele.
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Arthur Brain View Post
      It certainly isn't and it remains to be seen whether the BBC has shot itself in the foot with the casting of Jodie Whitaker as a female Dr Who. That was just another PC move and it's simply tiresome.

      That is sad to hear. BBC has always been a cut above Hollywood. I never really watched Dr. Who. I do have the new Sherlock
      Holmes series. I have the entire Hercules Poirot series. I also have their Pride and Prejudice miniseries.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by genuineoriginal View Post
        Sean Connery was the best.
        Daniel Craig surprised me, but I think he was a great James Bond.

        The one I think did the worst is Pierce Brosnan, though I loved him in Remington Steele.
        Bond got too gadget driven and cartoonish with Brosnan although that wasn't his fault but he was pretty much just drifting through the role. Craig brought a much needed edge and believability even if the stunts were still outlandish.
        Well this is fun isn't it?

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Sherman View Post

          That is sad to hear. BBC has always been a cut above Hollywood. I never really watched Dr. Who. I do have the new Sherlock
          Holmes series. I have the entire Hercules Poirot series. I also have their Pride and Prejudice miniseries.
          It was on the cards unfortunately and in a way it could be reasoned that "the doctor" is an alien being capable of regeneration so why not? Except that in all of his previous incarnations he's always been a white man of varying age. What's more, until Tenant's portrayal he'd always been "asexual" in that he'd never pursued romance with any of his female companions or counterparts. Then, with the Rose character there was an obvious chemistry that ended up with them all but getting things together until it was too late (subtly of course) and that was that. Probably just as well as Rose's character was a human female attracted to a man doctor and probably would have had some difficulties with his regeneration into a woman...

          What really grates is the PC factor of it as if there's some sort of profound point in changing classics. Times have changed as it is and AFAIC that's a good thing in itself.

          David Suchet pretty much was Poirot...
          Well this is fun isn't it?

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Arthur Brain View Post
            It was on the cards unfortunately and in a way it could be reasoned that "the doctor" is an alien being capable of regeneration so why not? Except that in all of his previous incarnations he's always been a white man of varying age. What's more, until Tenant's portrayal he'd always been "asexual" in that he'd never pursued romance with any of his female companions or counterparts. Then, with the Rose character there was an obvious chemistry that ended up with them all but getting things together until it was too late (subtly of course) and that was that. Probably just as well as Rose's character was a human female attracted to a man doctor and probably would have had some difficulties with his regeneration into a woman...
            I watched Dr. Who when he was the guy with the scarf and when he turned into the guy with the celery stalk.
            I lost track of him after that.

            Originally posted by Arthur Brain View Post
            What really grates is the PC factor of it as if there's some sort of profound point in changing classics. Times have changed as it is and AFAIC that's a good thing in itself.

            David Suchet pretty much was Poirot...
            I liked Kenneth Branagh as Hercule Poirot in the newest Murder on the Orient Express movie.
            Learn to read what is written.

            _____
            The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
            ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

            Comment


            • #21
              Official odds from an online gambling site (link will not be provided):

              Idris Elba 4/7
              Tom Hardy 3/1
              James Norton 6/1
              Jack Huston 9/1
              Aidan Turner 10/1
              Sam Claflin 12/1
              Ricky Whittle 14/1
              Cillian Murphy 16/1
              Michael Fassbender 16/1
              Tom Hiddlestone 16/1
              Travis Fimmel 16/1
              David Caves 20/1
              Henry Cavill 20/1
              Jack Lowden 20/1
              Jamie Bell 20/1
              Andrew Lincoln 25/1
              Dev Patel 25/1
              Damian Lewis 28/1
              Jack O' Connell 28/1
              Luke Evans 28/1
              Dan Stevens 33/1
              Daniel Kaluuya 33/1
              Daniel Robinson 33/1
              David Oyelowo 33/1
              Ed Skrein 33/1
              Richard Armitage 33/1
              Rupert Friend 33/1
              Sam Heughan 33/1
              Sam Worthington 33/1
              Sullivan Stapleton 33/1
              Taron Egerton 33/1
              Theo James 33/1
              Ben Barnes 40/1
              Dougray Scott 40/1
              Jamie Dornan 40/1
              Jim Caviezel 40/1
              Jon Hamm 40/1
              Matthew Goode 40/1
              Benedict Cumberbatch 50/1
              Chiwetel Ejiofor 50/1
              Gerard Butler 50/1
              Hugh Jackman 50/1
              John Boyega 50/1
              Jude Law 50/1
              Kit Harington 50/1
              Nicholas Hoult 50/1
              Orlando Bloom 50/1
              Robert Pattinson 50/1
              Ryan Gosling 50/1
              Toby Stephens 50/1
              Will Poulter 50/1
              Chris Hemsworth 66/1
              Christian Bale 66/1
              Josh Whitehouse 66/1
              O.T.Fagbenle 66/1
              Rufus Sewell 66/1
              James McAvoy 80/1
              Clive Owen 100/1
              Colin Firth 200/1
              Daniel Radcliffe 200/1
              Ewan McGregor 200/1
              Jason Statham 200/1
              Russell Crowe 200/1
              Scarlett Johansson 200/1
              Last edited by genuineoriginal; August 15th, 2018, 11:59 AM.
              Learn to read what is written.

              _____
              The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
              ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

              Comment


              • #22
                How did Daniel Radcliffe make the list?


                Daniel Radcliffe: I'm more Bond villain than James Bond

                dpa: If, one day, the production company asks you to do the next James Bond, what would you say?

                Radcliffe: I'm sure no one will ever be asking me to do that! I've never been a massive Bond fan. I love what Daniel Craig has done with it, but I don't think I'm very castable as Bond. A Bond baddy, a bad guy in Bond, that'd be fun, but I don't think I'm necessarily the hero in those movies.

                Learn to read what is written.

                _____
                The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
                ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

                Comment


                • #23
                  How about a Jane Bond?
                  Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)

                  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

                  What are my fruits today?

                  Cityboy With Horses A blog about what happens when you say, "I Promise"

                  "Moral standards" are a lot like lighthouses: they exist to help us stay on course as we sail through life. But we have to steer BY them, but not directly AT them. Lest we end up marooned on the shoals of perpetual self-righteousness.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Arthur Brain View Post
                    This "political correctness" where it comes to film and television is getting beyond a joke.
                    Yeppers.

                    We don't tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters exist.
                    They already know monsters exist.
                    We tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters can be killed.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Arthur Brain View Post
                      Elba's a great actor but I hope not. James Bond is a white, straight male and it was bad enough in Skyfall when there was a subtle intimation that Bond might have had homosexual dalliances in his past. Nope. This "political correctness" where it comes to film and television is getting beyond a joke.
                      Bond was a white male because nearly anyone approaching that mythology would have to have been in the period. A period the films are no longer set in. So race as a distinguisher should be out of the window, especially if it would bet Idris in the role. He's a brilliant actor who could do a couple of three films and bring something new to the role, expand the popularity of it and hold every meaningful tradition in check.
                      You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

                      Pro-Life






                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Tambora View Post
                        No.
                        Sean Connery was the one and ONLY Bond, James Bond.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Potential American choices for Bond:

                          Buddy Ebsen: white, straight, older. Being dead might be a draw back...Depends on where they want the series to go, I suppose.

                          Buddy Hackett: supra.

                          Now if he has to sound British it gets stickier as few American actors could pull off the accent.

                          Dick Van Dyke...well, no.

                          Mel Gibson?
                          You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

                          Pro-Life






                          Comment


                          • #28
                            They ruined the movie version of 'The wild wild West' by having Will Smith play the part. Mel Gibson would have been a better choice at the time.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by genuineoriginal View Post
                              Why not a black James Bond?
                              why not indeed?

                              Originally posted by genuineoriginal View Post
                              How did Daniel Radcliffe make the list?
                              bizarre

                              Originally posted by CabinetMaker View Post
                              How about a Jane Bond?
                              a scarlett johansson Jane Bond would be interesting, but what would make it "bond"? How would it be different from Lara Croft? What distinguishes "bond" from every other action film out there today?


                              Originally posted by Sherman View Post
                              They should keep Bond as Ian Fleming created him. I am not a fan of rewriting characters.
                              Fleming wrote the character in the heart of the cold war, as an ex-WW2 commando

                              fleming's creation, novel as it was at the time, is seriously dated

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Town Heretic View Post
                                Bond was a white male because nearly anyone approaching that mythology would have to have been in the period. A period the films are no longer set in. So race as a distinguisher should be out of the window, especially if it would bet Idris in the role. He's a brilliant actor who could do a couple of three films and bring something new to the role, expand the popularity of it and hold every meaningful tradition in check.
                                I'm against it because it smacks of the prevailing political correctness that's infecting so much in entertainment nowadays. As before, it was bad enough in Skyfall where it was implied that Bond could have had homosexual trysts in the past. Well, no. He's a straight bloke, pure and simple. He's not some goody two shoes and if they change the character into a woman (as there's been talk about) as they've done with Doctor Who over here then that'll be the end of the franchise.
                                Well this is fun isn't it?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X