Sports Talk 2018: Lebron to Brady and Everything in Between

The Berean

I think they might, but then I look at my Celtics and think that if they can wait until Boston can enter into the contest, NO could do better. So the question is will they be patient until July, when we can get past the Rose Rule that kicked in with the Irving trade and make an offer. Outside of the the Sixers could be a dark horse, but the best bet is they take LA early or wait and get a little richer with my Celtics.

Unless Davis has a rooting interest. If LA is where his heart is then the Pelicans might oblige, given a stated or stubborn preference could make the sort of offer Boston would have to make unlikely.
The Celtics have way more talent that they can offer the Pelicans. If I were a betting man I say Davis ends up in Boston.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
tet,

Who is the greatest Pitt football player ever? Tony Dorsett? Dan Marino? Someone else?

Tony Dorsett hands down.

Dorsett is the only Pitt player to win the Heisman, and he just about singlehandedly led Pitt to the National Championship in 1976.

Marino was great, but just like his NFL career, he just couldn't win the big game.

There were players that were great at Pitt, but didn't do so well in the NFL. Players like Hugh Green, Antonio Bryant, Craig Heyward, Randy Holloway, and Sean Gilbert (drafted #3 overall in 1992)

Then there were players that weren't that great at Pitt, but went on to have great NFL careers. Players like Curtis Martin, and Ricky Jackson (both in the NFL HOF)

Besides Dorsett, Marino, and Aaron Donald; the following players were really good at Pitt and the NFL: Larry Fitzgerald, Chris Doleman, Russ Grimm, Darrelle Revis, Bill Fralic, Mark May, Jimbo Covert, Ruben Brown, Mark Stepnoski, and LeSean McCoy

Mike Ditka was great at Pitt, and the NFL, but he was before my time. I never saw him play.

NFL Hall of Famers by college:

13 Notre Dame
12 USC
10 Ohio State
8 Pitt, Alabama, Michigan, Syracuse

Fitzgerald, and Revis will bring Pitt's total to 10.

The Berean

I agree, though it still depends on Davis. I'd be a very happy camper to see him wearing the green.

I'm sure you would. :chuckle: Davis would make the Celtics on par or even slightly better than the Warriors and put the Celtics in a prime position to take over as the NBA's best team once the current Warrior dynasty declines in about a year or two.

The Berean

This reminds me of Six Degrees of Shaq. From 1984-2017 EVERY NBA champion had at least one player who was a teammate of Shaquille O'Neal. The streak ended last season as the Warriors didn't have anyone who played with Shaq mostly due to that most of the Warriors were too young to have played with Shaq. Well, if you don't count Steve Kerr. LOL.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
This reminds me of Six Degrees of Shaq. From 1984-2017 EVERY NBA champion had at least one player who was a teammate of Shaquille O'Neal. The streak ended last season as the Warriors didn't have anyone who played with Shaq mostly due to that most of the Warriors were too young to have played with Shaq. Well, if you don't count Steve Kerr. LOL.

There used to be this thing where every time Kentucky won the NCAA Championship, the Yankees won the World Series the same year.
It happened in 1949, 1951, 1958, 1978, 1996, and 1998.

However it came to an end when Kentucky won it in 2012, but the Yankees didn’t win the WS that year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Berean

The Los Angeles Lakers continue to tank. They are one game under .500 and falling further and further behind the 8th playoff spot. Good! :banana:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Los Angeles Lakers continue to tank. They are one game under .500 and falling further and further behind the 8th playoff spot. Good! :banana:
I've got more pressing problems. Are the Knicks going to lure Durant and Irving into making their franchise relevant again?

The Berean

I've got more pressing problems. Are the Knicks going to lure Durant and Irving into making their franchise relevant again?

Don't you just love how the media likes to stir the pot? Has Irving showed ANY interesting in going to the Knicks? I think Durant stays with the Warriors but at the same time I can see him leave as well. It will be an interesting off-season for sure. When was the last time the Knicks were relevant? Since winning the NBA title way back in 1973, the Knicks have reached the NBA Finals just twice (1994, 1999)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Don't you just love how the media likes to stir the pot? Has Irving showed ANY interesting in going to the Knicks? I think Durant stays with the Warriors but at the same time I can see him leave as well. It will be an interesting off-season for sure. When was the last time the Knicks were relevant? Since winning the NBA title way back in 1973, the Knicks have reached the NBA Finals just twice (1994, 1999)
So now I'm thinking...we can beat the Lakers with an offer for "The Brow" and set up a team that might even draw Kevin's interest. He's struggled with the mercenary tag with Golden State, but if he came into that threesome with my Celtics it would be a lot more like the Heat with LeBron, Wade, and Bosh, building something essentially new that could seriously challenge the Warriors in short order.

Or, if Kevin wasn't interested we could still rebuild the losses quickly enough. Now if Kyrie is thinking of taking his act elsewhere I say let him, because the team as constituted hasn't really looked like his team and hasn't responded well to him. And absent that power threesome I suspect we'd be looking at the Cleveland problem again.

I think Kyrie got the feeling in Cleveland that he had established himself short of stepping into a team and being the man. But I think he looked more like Pippen than Jordan to the guys who won without him and don't appear to have embraced him as that next level guy...if that's how it is, then trade just enough to get Davis and build around him. Danny has already proven he can put talent together. So it's couple of years of that and then the run.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I think Durant stays with the Warriors but at the same time I can see him leave as well.

If Durant is out the rest of the season, financially speaking, it would be best for him to root against the Warriors.

Everyone and their mother thought Houston would win last night. But, the Bash Brothers showed everyone just how they won 73 games without Kevin Durant a few years ago.

I'm a huge Durant fan, and think he's the best player in the league. It's scary that your Warriors can still win it without him.

With Durant, there is no way the Warriors can lose to anyone.

Gary K

Banned
I'm enjoying the Lakers collapse. It would be most humorous if the Lakers fail to reach the postseasons. Go Warriors!

LOL. Back in the days of Nate Thurmond, Clyde Lee, Al Attles, Rick Barry, Jeff Mullins, Joe Ellis, Franklin Meuli, etc... I would have been right with you on the "Go Warriors" bit as I was big Warriors fan back then. However, I must disagree with you today as I say, Go Blazers.

I had lost faith in them as for the last few years they just didn't play enough team ball and defense to win. I'm changing my mind about them and agree with Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith that the Blazers will advance to the finals for the first time in many years. It seems to me Lilliard and McCollum have finally learned that they can't win on their own and they have to make their teammates better to compete at the highest levels. That's why their bench has been so good in the playoffs and also during the regular season. The stats don't always show it, but there is a whole lot more to the game than what stats show. That's why Iguodala and Livingston have been such an integral part of the Warriors' success over the last few years.

The Berean

In the last two playoff games the Warriors have not had Kevin Durant. And the warriors look great. Their defense and passing on offense have been a joy to watch.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
In the last two playoff games the Warriors have not had Kevin Durant. And the warriors look great. Their defense and passing on offense have been a joy to watch.
They're officially the Becket of the Western Conference...with Houston and others wondering, "Will no one rid me of this meddlesome pest?"

A near Dream Team status with Durant, they're still the best team running without him. Maybe they're the Patriots of the NBA.

The Berean

The Warriors win again to take a 3-0 lead against the Trailblazers. the Warriors played incredible team ball.