• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Town H

Two guard - Michael, with Oscar as his backup
    So you know about the Big O
    "... I have my own private opinion that there is no such a thing as
    preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what now-a-days is
    called Calvinism. I have my own ideas, and those I always state boldly. It is
    a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

Charles Spurgeon !

Comment

TH

My starting 5 using the modern system:

One guard - Magic, with Stockton as his backup
      Two guard - Michael, with Oscar as his backup
      Three guard - LeBron, with Larry as his backup
      Four guard - Duncan, with Malone as his backup
      Five - Olajuwon, with Jabar as his backup
      Mine woud be

Point-Magic/Clyde backup
      Shooting G- Big O/ AI
      Small F-Lebron/ MichaelJ
      Power F Bill Russell/ Sir Charles
      Pivot Wilt/Oneal

Charles Spurgeon !

Comment

Originally posted by Idolater View Post
        'Looks like---it's still just the fifth inning---Milwaukee is going to force game seven in the NLCS. So Boston still doesn't know which beat up, worn out National League team they're going to beat---I mean play!---in the World Series. Word on the street is that the Red Sox are the plain favorites whomever it is, and it's difficult to disagree with that, but anything can happen.
        But anything did not happen, and the Red Sox won the title in five games.

It took LA a full 18 innings just to claim their one victory in the series.

And on the 'cliff' watch of Tom Brady, among NFL passers with many attempts, he is 13th right now in passer rating, just behind #12 Aaron Rodgers. Cliff? No, not unless you also think Rodgers is falling off a cliff (he's definitely not). Concerning? Too soon to tell. There seems to be a lot of inflation in this year's passer ratings so far, with the top 11 QBs all coming in with over 100 ratings.
        "Those who believe in Christ" are all the Christians, Catholic or not.

@Nee_Nihilo

Comment

Originally posted by beloved57 View Post
          Point-Magic/Clyde backup
          Magic I get, but Drexler didn't have the handle of Pasty, or even Nash, so I'm guessing it's more of a PG less second string with an emphasis on scoring over defense.

Shooting G- Big O/ AI
          Small F-Lebron/ MichaelJ
          You can't start Michael at forward. He's too small in his prime and too slow past it. Oscar is great, of course, but you can't start anyone at shooting guard who isn't named Jordan. Best combination of offense and defense at any position in the history of the game.

AI is too small. In a field of all-time greats he'd be problematic at the point and impossible anywhere else, though he was a terrific player.

Power F Bill Russell/ Sir Charles
          Russell and Duncan are essentially the same guy, so I can't quibble. Love Charles too. Good selections.

Pivot Wilt/Oneal
          Not as crazy about these, but only because of FT and team chemistry. Jabar is the ultimate team player and had a more complete game than anyone. Olajuwon was my pick because he had a similar ability to play outside his position and play great team ball. He was one of the "baby Jordans" people talked about in the day.
          You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

Comment

Th

Magic I get, but Drexler didn't have the handle of Pasty, or even Nash, so I'm guessing it's more of a PG less second string with an emphasis on scoring over defense.
            I mean Clyde Walt Frazier!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Charles Spurgeon !

Comment

Originally posted by Town Heretic View Post
              Not as crazy about these, but only because of FT and team chemistry. Jabar is the ultimate team player and had a more complete game than anyone. Olajuwon was my pick because he had a similar ability to play outside his position and play great team ball. He was one of the "baby Jordans" people talked about in the day.
              Kareem was AMAZING in his prime. Kareen's prime is forgotten. The early to mid 1970's NBA is mostly forgotten. It's sandwiched between the high scoring and Celtics dominated 1960's and the Magic/Bird 1980's era when the NBA really took off on TV. The Kareem of the 1970's is probably the greatest player in NBA history. He could do it all. He was still great in the 1980's of course but not on the same level as the 1970's Kareem.
              Your problem is not technology. The problem is YOU. You lack the will to change...You treat this planet as you treat each other. - Klaatu

What are you talking about? There is no such thing as the "Mafia"......it doesn't exist. Just a bunch of lies told to defame honest hardworking Italians like myself. - TomO

I will do you, let's see, goofy, wacky, and to the left side of the bell curve
              . -Ktoyou

I'm white. I'm not black. I can't convert to being black. It doesn't matter how much I want to become black. I could listen to rap and date fat white women all day; for all that, I'll still remain white.- Traditio

Comment

Originally posted by The Berean View Post
                Kareem was AMAZING in his prime. Kareen's prime is forgotten. The early to mid 1970's NBA is mostly forgotten. It's sandwiched between the high scoring and Celtics dominated 1960's and the Magic/Bird 1980's era when the NBA really took off on TV. The Kareem of the 1970's is probably the greatest player in NBA history. He could do it all. He was still great in the 1980's of course but not on the same level as the 1970's Kareem.
                Love Kareem and I'd probably be inclined to start him more days than not. I was thinking of how "The Dream" would fit with everyone else's game. I'm not sure he wouldn't be a better all around with the group I have starting, but from a pure quality at the position starting point you can't do better. No real weaknesses in his game.

Pro-Life

Comment

Looks more and more like KD isn't entirely comfortable with Golden State. I was wondering if it would be a problem over the long haul, his coming to and joining in the winning that was happening without him, even if he was inarguably key in the lasted spate of it.

I wonder if he'll consider helping to reframe a classic in LA. If you think about it the idea makes sense. He's proven that he can fit in comfortably with other superstars and he'd be a necessary ingredient in restoring the dynastic luster of the Laker franchise. That should appeal. It would involve struggle with GS, but KD and LeBron, along with the talent on hand, maybe another free agent to bolster and he'd be ground floor.

That would have to feel better. It's a thought anyway. I hope he entertains it.

Pro-Life

Comment

Where are people getting this idea that KD wants to leave the Warriors? He has not made any public statement to such an affect. He may leave or he may not. Even if he does leave he is not going to the Lakers. The Lakers can be irrelevant for the next decade for all I care.
                    Your problem is not technology. The problem is YOU. You lack the will to change...You treat this planet as you treat each other. - Klaatu

What are you talking about? There is no such thing as the "Mafia"......it doesn't exist. Just a bunch of lies told to defame honest hardworking Italians like myself. - TomO

. -Ktoyou

I'm white. I'm not black. I can't convert to being black. It doesn't matter how much I want to become black. I could listen to rap and date fat white women all day; for all that, I'll still remain white.- Traditio

Comment

Where are people getting this idea that KD wants to leave the Warriors?
                      From his lack of declaration on the point of desiring to remain, and from thinking about what there is for him to gain by leaving, personally speaking, as I set out in my last.

He has not made any public statement to such an affect.
                      \
                      Part of the problem.

He may leave or he may not. Even if he does leave he is not going to the Lakers.
                      I don't know. I could see the attraction. I'm a Celtics guy, but if I was KD that's where I'd go if I wanted to build my own championship or co-found one. To be part of the rebirth of one of the most storied franchises? That's a draw. To beat the team you were seen as a valuable if mercenary addition to, one that didn't need you to win and proved it? That might be golden.

The Lakers can be irrelevant for the next decade for all I care.
                      That I believe.

Pro-Life

Comment

I'm enjoying the Lakers collapse. It would be most humorous if the Lakers fail to reach the postseasons. Go Warriors!

. -Ktoyou

Comment

I'm enjoying the Lakers collapse. It would be most humorous if the Lakers fail to reach the postseasons. Go Warriors!
                          Yep....I'd say it's safe to say Lebron's Final's streak comes to an end this year.

8 straight Final's is impressive.

Speaking of "8 straight", and since Brady is included in the topic of this thread, the Patriots & Brady will play in their 8th straight AFC Championship Game this weekend.

Both streaks are amazing, but I give the nod to Brady due to him doing it with one team.
                          (1 Cor 1:13 KJV) Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

Comment

Originally posted by tetelestai View Post
                            Yep....I'd say it's safe to say Lebron's Final's streak comes to an end this year.

8 straight Final's is impressive.

Speaking of "8 straight", and since Brady is included in the topic of this thread, the Patriots & Brady will play in their 8th straight AFC Championship Game this weekend.

Both streaks are amazing, but I give the nod to Brady due to him doing it with one team.
                            Take Lebron off those teams and there's no streak. Brady had a back up win 11 games with one of Bill's teams. It took a mathematical miracle to keep them out of the playoffs. And they've had better backups during some of the streak.

Who is coming off the bench to stand in for Lebron that could manage it?

No, it's Lebron, who wins with different teams and systems. It's much harder to do that, which is why so few qbs have managed a similar feat.

Pro-Life

Comment

Originally posted by Town Heretic View Post
                              Take Lebron off those teams and there's no streak. Brady had a back up win 11 games with one of Bill's teams. It took a mathematical miracle to keep them out of the playoffs. And they've had better backups during some of the streak.

Who is coming off the bench to stand in for Lebron that could manage it?

No, it's Lebron, who wins with different teams and systems. It's much harder to do that, which is why so few qbs have managed a similar feat.
                              I see your point, but keep in mind, Brady also went to 5 other AFC Championship Games, and won 3 Super Bowls, before the current streak of 8 straight AFC Championships began.
                              (1 Cor 1:13 KJV) Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

Comment

Originally posted by tetelestai View Post
                                I see your point, but keep in mind, Brady also went to 5 other AFC Championship Games, and won 3 Super Bowls, before the current streak of 8 straight AFC Championships began.
                                Same sort of answer. Brady is a system qb. Greatest system qb of all time, but the GOAT talk has been and remains a misdirected bit of invention. He's lost with the NFL's best offense twice in the SB to the lesser Manning.

Brady is a great qb. No question about it, but he's only arguably the best in his generation and he doesn't come close to matching Montana in the big game, unless we confuse appearances with the stronger metric. But if SB appearances are the thing, why isn't Kelly and his four straight in the conversation? Why isn't Bill Russell inarguably the greatest basketball player of all time instead of not being in the discussion?

I'd take Peyton and Bill over Brady and Bill. I'd take Rodgers and Bill over anyone on that list. Peyton is a smarter and more accurate qb. Rodgers can do more than anyone on that list, and is more accurate. Running that Patriot offense? I'd argue Manning couldn't have done worse and Rodgers would likely have done better. Brees? Maybe on both.

There's no one playing around Lebron that can do that to him. It's a huge and more objectively founded difference that makes the comparison a losing proposition for Tom.

Pro-Life

Comment

Working...
                                X