Fast Personality Test

Jose Fly

What I've always wondered is why this particular personality test is so popular and why people have so much faith in it.

I think it's because no matter what your results, the test basically tells you how wonderful and great you are, and even your faults/weaknesses are spun as positives.

Jose Fly

Although I have to say my results (not from the online version, but a long one we took for work) seem to be fairly spot on, especially in terms of this forum...

The ENTP personality type is the ultimate devil's advocate, thriving on the process of shredding arguments and beliefs and letting the ribbons drift in the wind for all to see. Unlike their more determined Judging (J) counterparts, ENTPs don't do this because they are trying to achieve some deeper purpose or strategic goal, but for the simple reason that it's fun.

Jose Fly

LOL Yep, you were flattered. ;)

No doubt. All the profiles are very flattering. But on mine, it was the "debate for the fun of it" that accurately reflects why I'm in a place like this. Whenever people have asked me why I'm here, I've always said "for entertainment".

glorydaz

No doubt. All the profiles are very flattering. But on mine, it was the "debate for the fun of it" that accurately reflects why I'm in a place like this. Whenever people have asked me why I'm here, I've always said "for entertainment".

It is a lot of fun, that's for sure. Except for watching my grandkids, it's my only form of entertainment.

Well, watching my chickens steal the cat food, and the bees steal the cat food, and the cats fighting off the bees, and me spraying the chickens with water is pretty fun, too. ;)

genuineoriginal

fly.jpg

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
INFP. Again.

As for criticisms of the test, I think any test for personality is kind of a blunt instrument (especially bare-bones online versions of more involved clinical tests). First, they're self-reports, which have known limitations, including the tendency of people to test as they want to see themselves, not necessarily how they are, and separating the two can be pretty much impossible. Second, the questions attempt, with operational definitions of hypothetical constructs, to measure what can't be directly observed. It's an imperfect system. Third (no doubt there are plenty better reasons, but I'll stick with these three because they're mine :eek:), personalities are shaped by genetics and environment, by the nuances of millions of experiences and interactions - and maybe the best we can do at this point in time is muddle along with the various diagnostic tools we have. Maybe someday these tools will look positively prehistoric, or maybe they'll never really be able to cross that mental frontier. The mind is such an incredible thing.

Last edited:

Quincy

I think it's just a matter of it being... quite fun to take frivolous quizzes and see what result pops up at the end, even though you most likely know what will happen.

It's kind of like putting a pop tart in the wrong slot of a toaster.

exminister

DEFENDER (ISFJ-T)

Strength of individual traits:
Introverted: 58%,
Observant: 34%,
Feeling: 36%,
Judging: 31%,
Turbulent: 5%.

Many years ago I was a solid ISTJ, but have through the years have paid attention to my feelings. Life can kick you down. Not as rigid as I had been, so I understand the change in MB for me.

I have found this tool very useful for me and my perception of others. The introvert-extrovert bucket being perhaps the most important. It's whether someone gets their batteries charged being around people or not. I understand why some extroverts in my life can get down and even depressed if they have been alone for a while. Also I can check my own batteries and other introverts if they have been in extended social situations. I have always loved even as a kid going out in nature alone. Now I get why. Yet part of me enjoys having time with people.

The other very helpful part is the last letter, a J or a P.

Every decision I make I can explain in detail why I made it. My wife is a P and she rarely can do this. We have gotten into arguments over the years mainly driven by me as to why she does what she does. I have another dear friend who is a P and understands MB. This has help me get that personality difference. Now I accept my wife who can skip many steps that I would take to make a decision and thereby cut down on me needlessly harassing her. Our relationship got better and now I can appreciate her, from my viewpoint, spontaneity. I can even kid her about it now.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
DEFENDER (ISFJ-T)

Strength of individual traits:
Introverted: 58%,
Observant: 34%,
Feeling: 36%,
Judging: 31%,
Turbulent: 5%.

Many years ago I was a solid ISTJ, but have through the years have paid attention to my feelings. Life can kick you down. Not as rigid as I had been, so I understand the change in MB for me.

I have found this tool very useful for me and my perception of others. The introvert-extrovert bucket being perhaps the most important. It's whether someone gets their batteries charged being around people or not. I understand why some extroverts in my life can get down and even depressed if they have been alone for a while. Also I can check my own batteries and other introverts if they have been in extended social situations. I have always loved even as a kid going out in nature alone. Now I get why. Yet part of me enjoys having time with people.

The other very helpful part is the last letter, a J or a P.

Every decision I make I can explain in detail why I made it. My wife is a P and she rarely can do this. We have gotten into arguments over the years mainly driven by me as to why she does what she does. I have another dear friend who is a P and understands MB. This has help me get that personality difference. Now I accept my wife who can skip many steps that I would take to make a decision and thereby cut down on me needlessly harassing her. Our relationship got better and now I can appreciate her, from my viewpoint, spontaneity. I can even kid her about it now.

Thanks for sharing this. I enjoyed reading it. :)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
INFP. Again.
Still waiting on that ENTJ to come roaring out of the cave? :D

As for criticisms of the test, I think any test for personality is kind of a blunt instrument...First, they're self-reports, which have known limitations, including the tendency of people to test as they want to see themselves, not necessarily how they are, and separating the two can be pretty much impossible.
So the only way you know it's a good one is if you don't like the results? :mmph:

Second, the questions attempt, with operational definitions of hypothetical constructs to measure what can't be directly observed.
You lost the group tour with that one...but I loved Operation as a kid, if that helps. Now they've made all the holes too big and anyone can get to the funny bone, or whatever they've replaced it with...probably a toaster...stupid Hasbro. :mmph:

Third (no doubt there are plenty better reasons, but I'll stick with these three because they're mine :eek:), personalities are shaped by genetics and environment, by the nuances of millions of experiences and interactions - and maybe the best we can do at this point in time is muddle along with the various diagnostic tools we have
Muddling long among tools? Sounds like the Back Alley.

Maybe someday these tools will look positively prehistoric, or maybe they'll never really be able to cross that mental frontier.
Because the Nativists are restless. :)