The Omnibox: all things television

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I've been watching Peter Gunn lately, on Amazon Prime. I'm not old enough to have caught it in its original time on television. Gunn, as played and written, is an odd mix of charm and manner coupled with Bogart like dialogue. So it's quirky. He's a handsomely paid private eye with a good friend who is a detective and a girlfriend who sings and pines at a jazz club he frequents called Mother's, where "Mother" is another character in support. Gunn is funny and prone to tough guy stances, but he also has a real knack for ending up on the losing end of a beating (if usually delivered by uneven numbers). The first couple of times I noticed this habit I thought he was unlucky. After a few more I wondered why he hadn't started to anticipate it. After a few more I began to suspect he'd chosen the wrong line of work.

It's entertaining though and you can see in that quirk and a few others the evolution of Bogart's wise cracking tough guy into something a little more vulnerable, in every sense of the word. Gunn foreshadows everything from Jim Rockford to Magnum P.I. It's a good little episodic show with more background questions than any apparent interest in answering them. Taken as it is, worth watching.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Travelers on Netflix

Travelers on Netflix

A good binge watch:

Travelers
https://www.netflix.com/title/80105699

2 seasons available now

Folks from the future, under control of the Director, travel to our timeline in hopes of making changes to their apocalyptic future. One of the few time travel story lines that actually goes out of its way to deal with paradoxical time issues.

"[FONT=&quot]Hundreds of years from now, the last surviving humans discover the means of sending consciousness back through time, directly into people in the 21st century. These "travelers" assume the lives of seemingly random people, while secretly working as teams to perform missions in order to save humanity from a terrible future. These travelers are: FBI Special Agent Grant MacLaren (Eric McCormack), the team's leader; Marcy (Mackenzie Porter), a young, intellectually disabled woman in the care of her social worker, David (Patrick Gilmore); Trevor (Jared Paul Abrahamson), a high school quarterback; Carly (Nesta Marlee Cooper), a single mom in an abusive relationship; and Philip (Reilly Dolman), a heroin-addicted college student. Armed only with their knowledge of history and an archive of social media profiles, the travelers discover that 21st century lives and relationships are as much a challenge as their high-stakes missions."[/FONT]

AMR

Danoh

A good binge watch:

Travelers
https://www.netflix.com/title/80105699

2 seasons available now

Folks from the future, under control of the Director, travel to our timeline in hopes of making changes to their apocalyptic future. One of the few time travel story lines that actually goes out of its way to deal with paradoxical time issues.

"[FONT=&quot]Hundreds of years from now, the last surviving humans discover the means of sending consciousness back through time, directly into people in the 21st century. These "travelers" assume the lives of seemingly random people, while secretly working as teams to perform missions in order to save humanity from a terrible future. These travelers are: FBI Special Agent Grant MacLaren (Eric McCormack), the team's leader; Marcy (Mackenzie Porter), a young, intellectually disabled woman in the care of her social worker, David (Patrick Gilmore); Trevor (Jared Paul Abrahamson), a high school quarterback; Carly (Nesta Marlee Cooper), a single mom in an abusive relationship; and Philip (Reilly Dolman), a heroin-addicted college student. Armed only with their knowledge of history and an archive of social media profiles, the travelers discover that 21st century lives and relationships are as much a challenge as their high-stakes missions."[/FONT]

AMR

Thanks for that.

The time travel genre has always been one of my favorites.

Just caught the first episode.

It was so so.

Will see how it unfolds.

Speaking of Sci-fi - Seth Rogan's "Orville" is one heck of a hilarious take on the different Star Trek series.

If you're into the "going against the grain" type of humour.

The thing is just one rib after another - of the stuffed shirt status quo of the various Star Treks. :chuckle:

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thanks for that.

The time travel genre has always been one of my favorites.

Just caught the first episode.

It was so so.

Will see how it unfolds.

Speaking of Sci-fi - Seth Rogan's "Orville" is one heck of a hilarious take on the different Star Trek series.

If you're into the "going against the grain" type of humour.

The thing is just one rib after another - of the stuffed shirt status quo of the various Star Treks. :chuckle:

Indeed, Travelers starts slowly, but things will begin to pick up around the 4th episode or so.

I watch Orville. Just wish McFarlane could resist making it into crude Family Guy in space as well as attempting to teach the viewer all about what is wrong with our society today. From his perspective, of course. Sigh.

AMR

Danoh

Indeed, Travelers starts slowly, but things will begin to pick up around the 4th episode or so.

I watch Orville. Just wish McFarlane could resist making it into crude Family Guy in space as well as attempting to teach the viewer all about what is wrong with our society today. From his perspective, of course. Sigh.

AMR

Yeah - if you look at the various people behind Orville listed in the credits, they are largely the same liberal left fools behind most of the various Star Trek series.

Lost people merely being who they are...lost people.

This leftist utopia of theirs is a pipe dream, once more.

Genesis 11:1 And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech. 11:2 And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there. 11:3 And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them thoroughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for morter. 11:4 And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth. 11:5 And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded. 11:6 And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do. 11:7 Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech. 11:8 So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.

But, there is no keeping the would Utopianist down - left; right; and every which manifestation of mankind's compulsion for rebellion in his or hers particular sort of ignorance in between.

Which makes "Orville" even more hilarious than Rogen had obviously intended.

Or as the Psalmist had put it...

Psalms 2:4 He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the LORD shall have them in derision.

God's Perspective...the Bible Believer's only safe haven "in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation."

Thank God for Rom. 5: 6-8.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yeah - if you look at the various people behind Orville listed in the credits, they are largely the same liberal left fools behind most of the various Star Trek series.
I was particularly annoyed with the episode wherein the First Officer unwittingly becomes the object of a new religion during an accidental first contact. What follows later, in the society that exists in another time dimension that (one day Orville time equaling hundreds of years their time), is a screed on religion obviously pointed at Christianity, smuggled in by the writers to make yet another Hollywood statement. Beam. Eye. Remove it. :AMR:

AMR

Danoh

I was particularly annoyed with the episode wherein the First Officer unwittingly becomes the object of a new religion during an accidental first contact. What follows later, in the society that exists in another time dimension that (one day Orville time equaling hundreds of years their time), is a screed on religion obviously pointed at Christianity, smuggled in by the writers to make yet another Hollywood statement. Beam. Eye. Remove it. :AMR:

AMR

The only "Christianity" that came to my mind while watching that episode, was the Roman Catholicism of the Middle Ages.

The robes; the whole, holier than thou priesthood; the stained glass windows in mystic buildings; the idea of a female deity; together with a made up catechism; the "our way alone" or face being actually murdered in a public square to the roaring high-fives of the so called "faithful," etc.

Personally, I was fine with the Orville team's decision to intervene against that evil they had unwittingly contributed to the rise of.

On another thought: here is the pilot to would-be time travel series called "Rewind" that never made it past said pilot episode...enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi6u14oGmh0&app=desktop

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

AMR
It's a mixed bag. MacFarlane has a palpable fondness for the genre and that affection manifests itself in the spirit of the episodes. He's a talented, smart writer of comedy, but will tend to veer into the juvenile too easily. I think that's manifested in the writing for two of the main characters. He's an anti-theist, who always appears to make that a part of whatever he's involved in creatively. About a third of the opening season has hinged on taking shots at religious belief in some form or fashion. He's also liberal, and he made sure to have a main character whose race was what we'd call masculine in order to advance a couple of ideas relative to normalizing homosexuality. A bit heavy handed, though the episode where the two "male" characters decide to "normalize" their born female child by having her physiologically remade into a male was actually pretty effective.

I'm hoping that as with the more juvenile humor, toned down in volume since the opening bell, he'll move on into more productive veins as things progress. There's a lot to like with the Orville even shackled to MacFarland's bias.

Gary K

Banned
Programming, Technology and more...

When I was a teenager and an avid reader I called television the mind sucking omnibox. Years later, with a revised appreciation, I started a blog under the Omnibox title, but let it fall away. I prefer conversation.

Anyway, I thought there being a lot on tv worth talking about and not being the sort to start a hundred small fires over individual programs, I'd start it up here.

So, from commercials to recommendations to talk about televisions, this can be the thread for it.

What's on my HD DVR subscribe list at present:

Elementary, Longmire, Justified, Percpetion, The Mentalist, Archer, The Blacklist, Doctor Who, Person of Interest, The Strain, Welcome to Sweden.

I'll probably talk about some of those as time permits. Justified will open with it's last season soon, so if you've missed one of the best written, clever and modern westerns to hit the small screen do yourself a favor and find the whole thing when its run is over.

More to follow. Feel free. :)

I just ran across this thread. For all the time I've spent reading here I'd never seen it before so I thought I'd answer the opening post.

As I am an avid reader I think your teenage description of TV is the right one. As I don't have a DVR for the simple reason that I don't own a TV I have nothing on a DVR. And during the times I have watched TV I do think it is a mind sucking idiot box. It is nothing but propoganda disguised as story telling. And it has been proven over and over again that when a person is focused on a TV their mind shuts down. They just absorb what they see with the infomation being implanted in the mind in a manner that bypasses conscious discriminating thought.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Mindhunter

TV series.
1970's era.
Drama, suspense.

Two FBI agents spend their spare time and any time the Bureau will allow them to speak to convicted serial killers to try and figure out what makes them tick.

Their motto is ..... How do we get ahead of crazy if we don't know how crazy thinks?

I've watch 3 episodes of the 1st season.
Pretty good.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I finally got the last season of Longmire to watch (2017).
This is the best season of it ever!
Such a good show.
Hate to see it end.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Santa Clara Diet (Netflix), the second season is out and so far so great in continuing the story of the realty selling, California Hammond family, caught up in the sudden and inexplicable turn of Shelia Hammond into one of the living dead. Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant are a deadly combination of comedic timing and personal charm as the centerpiece performers in a strangely light, funny, and tightly written entry by Netflix into the comedic end of the zombie craze. The supporting cast is resoundingly good and the show knows when and exactly how to use cameos by established stars, as with Nathan Fillion's talking head (literally) or Gerald McRaney's rabid Colonel. It's not the first time someone made the effort to mine zombies for humor (see: IiZombie), but it's arguably the best. And, curiously enough, that's saying something.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Santa Clara Diet (Netflix), the second season is out and so far so great in continuing the story of the realty selling, California Hammond family, caught up in the sudden and inexplicable turn of Shelia Hammond into one of the living dead. Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant are a deadly combination of comedic timing and personal charm as the centerpiece performers in a strangely light, funny, and tightly written entry by Netflix into the comedic end of the zombie craze. The supporting cast is resoundingly good and the show knows when and exactly how to use cameos by established stars, as with Nathan Fillion's talking head (literally) or Gerald McRaney's rabid Colonel. It's not the first time someone made the effort to mine zombies for humor (see: IiZombie), but it's arguably the best. And, curiously enough, that's saying something.
I like the show too!

I don't like that word, it's inherently negative.

hehe!

Trailer for those to view to see if it might be something they would like also.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Terror

TV series 2018.
3 episodes so far.

A fictionalized account of Captain Sir John Franklin's lost expedition of two Royal Navy Ships, the Erebus and the
Terror, to the Arctic in 1845–1848 to locate the Northwest Passage.
It is an unusually cold winter and the two ships become stuck in frozen ice for over a year.
The crew struggles to live in an environment with scarce food supply, sickness, the elements, mental stability, and .......... a strange creature that they cannot identify that seems to be stalking them and killing their crew little by little, right after they accidentally killed an Eskimo man.
They don't know what the creature is, but suspicion surfaces that it might be a creature summoned to avenge the Eskimo's death.

Trailer for show:

<font color="#545454" face="Roboto, arial, sans-serif" size="2">

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

My daughter and I started to watch that together. I believe she is still watching it, as well as iZombie. Insofar as a humorous take on zombies ... ZNation. BTW, I am a few days in to trying out the new Hulu Live TV and with the exception of missing the AMC and some tweaking to make it more user friendly, it's one of the better options. It is one of the few that offers the CW.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Father Brown's newest season just dropped on Netflix. It's not for everyone, I suppose, and I miss some of the absent cast members this time around, but for all of the reasons noted prior this loosely based adaptation of Chesterton's sleuth of a priest is worth spending some time to know. It's a very satisfying thing to see a Christian life and focus integral to any televised proposition, organic and authentic in its aim. Brown means to save souls and solve mysteries, in that order, and he does both (often enough) without making either feel contrived.

Ask Mr. Religion

&#9758;&#9758;&#9758;&#9758;Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
About to finish the final episode of the second season of Chance (Hulu Original), with Hugh Laurie (House).

Both seasons are worth the binge.

Laurie is comfortable in the role of a neuropsychiatrist, Eldon Chance, with obsession issues that impact a family member as well. He leverages these tendencies to meet out justice with the help of a small cabal he has formed. The no-neck hulk, with plenty of mental muscle, too, Darious, in that cabal often steals the the scene thunder from Laurie.

Season two exceeds the drama and action from season one. That said, watching Gretchen Mol in season one was enjoyable. A modern day Deitrich.

While on Hulu, catch the nine-episode season one of Siren. Mermaids that walk among us, and the government wants to weaponize them (of course). A second season of sixteen episodes is forthcoming next year in the U.S.

AMR

Ask Mr. Religion

&#9758;&#9758;&#9758;&#9758;Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Philip K. Dick's (author of the book upon which Blade Runner was based) post and post-apocalyptic worldview is in fine evidence in Amazon Prime's Electric Dreams. Each episode in the series is a stand-alone with some fine actors. Free to Prime subscribers.

Note: rated R for violence and some sexual content.

Last edited: