The Omnibox: all things television

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So would you justify the killing by making the killer a priest and a victim? Or have the killer tormented and wracked with guilt because he is a priest and a victim?
He' not broken on the surface, but the murder of his family, his feelings of abandoning them to that fate by virtue of being out on a tear instead, break something deeper. He's not a born sociopath, but he's a driven killer. The priesthood was and to some extent is both penance and subterfuge.

He and the storyline are different enough, but thirty years ago they would have been...novel. :eek:

Arthur Brain

Yep, the series was called 'Dexter". I avoided watching it for a long time because I didn't like the premise of it. But when I finally gave it a look, I was hooked.

I should have known, … for me, it always comes down to good writing and good acting. If a series has that, the premise doesn't matter that much.

Just watched all eight series on the bounce. Cue short reasons for success:

Michael C Hall as Dexter is simply outstanding. He pulls off the dark and the comic aspects of the character with aplomb and is absolutely mesmeric be it internal monologue or hands on so to speak. He simply is Dexter.

Jennifer Carpenter is equally superb as his incredibly foul mouthed but lovable sister who has to endure the biggest roller coaster of quandaries as the series progresses.

The ensemble cast are equally brilliant and integral to the drama and comic aspects which gel the whole thing together along with the special guest stars who always add a special pique to the series be it villain or else.

There's barely a wrong note with any of it. The Opening credits and title theme music just fit it to a tee also.

Did I mention I like this series?

:noid:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Watching a bit of the Voice and I was thinking, again, that it seems to be more of a vehicle for the judges than the talent. It has been ten years without a significant artist launch. Idol, whatever its faults, has hit more than a couple out of the park. Heard a blind audition the other day that might mark the end of that drought. A song I normally don't want to hear anyone but the writer sing. Clapton in a pinch. Add this guy to the list.

Can't Find My Way Home

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Going back over Amazon Prime to watch the modern incarnations of Dr. Who, to introduce them to my wife and son. I'd forgotten how much I preferred Eccleston to the Doctors who followed...don't mistake me, there's something to like in all of them, including the new/old fellow, but there was a great blend of light and dark, humor and action with Eccleston that never returned. Tennant gave us the perpetually wide eyed wonder, Smith bounced about like an overgrown Setter puppy, Capaldi removed the expectation of romantic subtext between the Doctor and his companion and sobered things for a moment, a little. The next Doctor? Well, I'd like Edris to play him and really shake it up. The whole business is in need of it, but still enjoyable. :D

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Houdini and Doyle: I've watched the first episodes despite my lack of excitement in the choices for leads and haircuts. So far it's like this: Doyle is played without his considerable intellect as the part of the pair nearly desperate to believe in anything supernatural, because his wife is languishing in a coma, while Houdini mocks and ultimately wins the day for skeptics and naysayers week after week. Weston's Houdini sounds and acts more like a creature of the 1930s than the turn of the century, but at least he's irritating for the right reasons. Mangan's incredulous Doyle is so thinly drawn and so obviously not inhabited by that previously noted mind that it's a bit like watching Guy Ritchie destroying his best creation. :mmph: The one ray of sunshine in this gloomy business is the underutilized Liddiard as a female constable breaking ground within the society of her day...now if she can break into the writer's room.

If you haven't tuned in you haven't missed much. Maybe tonight's episode will strike a new note...what's certain is something needs to change.

PureX

Watching an Aussie show on Netflix called "Redfern Now".

It's a different story with different actors and characters every episode. Like a new 1 hour movie each week. Good show!

PureX

In search of a long-running series to watch, and not finding much, I reluctantly decided to try "The "L" Word".

It's a lesbian soap opera, more or less. But it's actually not that bad. I've found myself laughing out loud a number of times, which I rarely do at TV humor. And I've found the stories believable and interesting. Still in season 1, though. Plenty of time for it to crap out.

Watched all of "Deep Space Nine" a little while ago, and that was really good! I'd never seen much of it back when it came out.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
After waiting a good long while for the second season of the Netflix original show Marco Polo, I couldn't have been more disappointed by the result. I enjoyed the previous, inaugural season, which was mostly understated and concentrated on set pieces and character development. Kublai Khan was interestingly drawn and young Marco seemed a well formed vehicle for exploring the period. Was everything historically accurate? Well, no, but it was rarely off course in a way that made much difference and mostly the tweaks seemed aimed at accentuating the narrative course, which you expect in any vehicle, the way Vidal did with his efforts.

The first season dealt with Khan uniting China by unhorsing the empire beyond the Great Wall. There was a driven villain there we could both understand and root against, a chancellor for a three year old monarch, a seemingly sweet child. The season ended with Polo and a complicated ally hunting the little prince for Khan, to avoid his use by someone as a means to upend what Kublai had managed to accomplish.

This season debuted the other night. I was excited at the prospect of another solid season, one that had taken over a year to arrive...and this happens. (Spoiler) Polo finds the boy and they take him back to Khan, where the Khan's first wife argues he should be hidden and left to be forgotten, while Kublai's heir believes the child should be kept close and useful...another son, a bastard, who secretly plots against his father while smiling at his face, suggested the thing to do would be to kill the child and the hope of the conquered people. Historically, there was no boy king and the young man who was displaced ended up a monk for most of his life. There's some recounting that a later Khan forced the monk to kill himself, but it's murky.

In any event, here's the scene: Khan sits in the darkness of his throne room where the boy is delivered. When they are alone he stands and withdraws a dagger, tells the three year old that he has been sentenced to death. The boy begins to cry. Khan commands him to stop, shows the boy that he has put the dagger aside. The boy regains composure and asks if he (Khan) had killed anyone at the boy's age. The Khan says that he had not, but that he saw men die. The boy asks if any of the men cried. Khan says that some did. The boy asks if he (the boy) is evil and is that why Khan has decided that he must die. Khan is speechless.

Then the three year old cries out, "I don't want to! I don't want to!" and rushes to the throne where he clings to the Mongol leader's chest. At first, Khan does nothing. Then he holds the boy, who is sobbing, against his breast. After a moment the boy's sobs quiet and then, when you're thinking, "Thank God" the boy begins a muffled cry and kicks and grasps. We see his hands on Khan's shoulders and hear his feet kicking the floor.

Eventually it stops. The great Khan has smothered the crying, begging child to death. Marco Polo has entered the throne room to witness the end of this. The Khan looks at Marco. The scene ends.

Things pick up a few days later. Polo is drunk and sorrowful. The Khan is troubled in his sleep. I...don't...care. Anything short of Polo rushing the monarch to kill him or immediately searching out Khan's rivals makes him useless. And nothing the Khan can do will redeem that passage. It was worse than a betrayal of history, a grubbing, obvious attempt to follow Thrones into its morally bleak landscape, it was a violation of the trust and interest they'd invested in both leads.

Despicable them...I'm done with it.

PureX

Town, that was a great post!

I have not seen that series. It just didn't look as if it would appeal to me. But that post was excellent.

Thanks.

:)

PureX

New season episodes came out recently on Netflix: The Fosters, Orange is the New Black, and Peaky Blinders. All were up to their usual quality, which is generally good, but it's sad how long I have to wait for a few new episodes, and then how quickly I watch my way through them.

I find it much more pleasurable to stumble across a whole 5 or 6 year series that I've never seen, before, and then watch them over the course of a couple weeks. Especially if I have a couple of these multi-year series to work on at the same time.

I also re-watched the first two seasons of Rake, recently, which is an excellent Aussie series from a few years back. It was so good that the show was reinstated after closing, and they have produced two more seasons of it. Unfortunately, Netflix has not acquired them, and although they are available on iTunes, They're only available on iTunes.au, which will not allow me to purchase them through iTunes in the U.S.

I'm finding this increasingly frustrating because Australia seems to be making better TV shows than we are making in the U.S. There is an Aussie version of Orange is the New Black called Wentworth, that's much better than Orange, in my opinion. But I've been waiting forever for season 4. And who knows if it will ever play, here. Netflix seems very hit-and-miss when it comes to TV from other countries.

On the other hand, I recently read that Netflix is raising their price to from $8 to $10 a month. And they claim it's to purchase more material.

I hope so.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If you get the chance, check out the series on Netflix ----- The Ranch

The 10 episodes of the 2016 season 1 have already aired earlier this year.Starring Sam Elliot, Debra Winger, Ahston Kutcher, Danny Masterson.
Comedy

Sam Elliot plays an old Vietnam Vet, a staunch Republican, old school cowboy that has been trying to keep the ranch his father left him going ever since he got back from the war. Married to Maggie (played by Debra Winger).

Their two sons, Colt (
Ahston Kutcher) and Jameson "Rooster" (Danny Masterson).
Colt left to pursue a football career that never really made it to the pros, but was still trying.
He comes home when he learns the ranch is in trouble financially.
The relationship between he and his father is strained.

Rooster grew up on the ranch and still lives there.
He was always in the shadow of his jock brother.

A couple of youtube trailers
(Caution: there is a bad word or two)

Since we can only post one video at a time, here is a link to another trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbBe2n7YoOA

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
True Detective

TV series (I believe through HBO).

Season 1 starred Matthew McConaughey & Woody Harrelson
Season 2 starred Collin Ferrell & Vince Vaughn

Has anyone watched it?
Worth the time?
I was thinking of getting it to watch.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
True Detective

TV series (I believe through HBO).

Season 1 starred Matthew McConaughey & Woody Harrelson
Season 2 starred Collin Ferrell & Vince Vaughn

Has anyone watched it?
Worth the time?
I was thinking of getting it to watch.
I hear the first season is worth watching. The second is supposed to be a trainwreck.

Season 1 had an 87% RT rating, with a 97% favorable (4.7 of 5) from people who watched it.

Season 2 had a 64% RT rating, with a 61% favorable (3.5 of 5) from people who watched it.

I want to see the first series. If you get to it before I do let me know. :cheers:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I hear the first season is worth watching. The second is supposed to be a trainwreck.

Season 1 had an 87% RT rating, with a 97% favorable (4.7 of 5) from people who watched it.

Season 2 had a 64% RT rating, with a 61% favorable (3.5 of 5) from people who watched it.

I want to see the first series. If you get to it before I do let me know. :cheers:
Thanks.
I borrowed the first season and watched the first episode.
So far so good!

In a way this reminds me of Law & Order: Criminal Intent, as far as the partnership of the detectives (Matthew McConaughey & Woody Harrelson), and how one of them has that uncanny "spidy sense".
But this show is much more intense.
McConaughey's character connects dots of a crime that others do not see.
He is somewhat anit-social and others find him a bit creepy.
He teeters between insanity and brilliance.

And the villain of the show will remind you of the show, Hannibal.
A serial killer that displays his victims as an "art form".

PureX

So, in the end, I liked 'The "L" Word' series. It was a bit of a soap opera, but the actors were much better than on most soap operas, and the stories were a whole lot more interesting. I'd recommend it to those who would not be bothered by the content (lesbianism).

I've watched a few episodes of 'The Ranch', and it's OK. Kind of predictable, though. It feels like the goal of the show was a little bit too 'small'. Too few characters, too little story.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I love Netflix (the tv end). September brings subscribers the 4th installment of Idris Elba's Luther which is a favorite. The next season of Longmire will come in, along with the new Marvel bit, Luke Cage. And the last installment of Penny Dreadful. And did I mention Portlandia's 6th?

A few movies to revisit, from the enjoyable family fun of Zootopia, to the understated but enjoyable throwback of Finest Hours.

A good month on Netflix.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Check out Marcella on Netflix. A worthy binge watch from the Brits. Sort of the female version of a tortured Luther with all the personal life complications.

Keep up with what is happening on streaming services via Decider's newsletter: http://decider.com/

Watched The Night Of... on HBONow. Very good TV. The free trial offer should cover you while you watch it on a Roku device.

Amazon Prime has three pilots to view, thirty minutes each. Among the the three, The Tick seems promising, given its cult following. The other two are sad to endure and made me wince often.

AMR

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Check out Marcella on Netflix. A worthy binge watch from the Brits. Sort of the female version of a tortured Luther with all the personal life complications.

Keep up with what is happening on streaming services via Decider's newsletter: http://decider.com/

Watched The Night Of... on HBONow. Very good TV. The free trial offer should cover you while you watch it on a Roku device.

Amazon Prime has three pilots to view, thirty minutes each. Among the the three, The Tick seems promising, given its cult following. The other two are sad to endure and made me wince often.

AMR
Also on Amazon Prime, look at Mr. Robot, season 1. Lived up to the hype. Not as novel as many suggest, but compelling and careful. Also, take a peak at Bosch, though season one is mostly about getting to know him. The second season is superior in nearly every way. There's a great bit of Doctor Who, of course...and Banshee is interesting, if frequently gratuitous in method.