Town Quixote's

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Saturday Night Gazette

Waxed economical with rex in the government shutdown thread...
If you were to estimate how much money we owe to China, what would that number be?
Per Chinese person? :eek: See, it's all in the context, isn't it.

Finished up with Spec...
You’re wrong AGAIN.
The capital letters really make the point...and given your lack of argument on the point God knows something had to. :plain:

...my questions are not side bars.
Yes, they are. You want to make the debate about whether or not the Bible says this or that. It's an interesting debate, but it isn't the argument.

They are a necessary part of demonstrating the other half of your argument – i.e. your claim that you trust the Biblical God/the words of the Bible and that makes me unlike you.
It's another difference. But it isn't the difference I'm speaking to in noting the failure of the apostate. My argument could have been sustained prior to the collection of books that became the Bible having been in existence.

In fact your argument is probably the most disingenuous and convoluted stream of illogic I’ve ever heard...
...[while] you've made that sort of charge over and over you've yet to set out a single quote that you could then demonstrate was anything of the sort using the thing you claim to value but so rarely apply, logic.

You constantly hide behind the “God” word as if it has magical powers
Prove it...set out a quote supporting that. I'll wait while you can't.

and won’t allow yourself to be drawn into saying “Biblical God”.
Just when I think you've hit disingenuous bottom you surprise me. Or, also not true. Christ is God. That's rather specific.

Anything else? ...nope, same old else and as noted above.

Before SH made an assertion of himself in need of rational foundation...
He's on point TH weather you are man enough to admit it or not.
First, anyone who tries to connect manhood with agreement on their point doesn't understand the mantle and is just playing the same stupid wanna be bully card Spec has tried repeatedly.

I've lost a great deal of respect for you today that you cannot or rather WON'T defend.
...If your regard is this easy to lose...then I'd suggest you're cheapening the value of your regard, not me and I'm sorry to see it. My respect isn't predicated on a litmus other than honest and principled difference and I hope yours won't be either at some point.

Else it's simple. My argument has nothing to do with his complaints about scripture. It never did and it never will.

Had a word with Al...
You perhaps don’t really need faith if you have what you think is knowledge.
I don't see the inevitability of that...Do you understand math if you know your multiplication tables? I can know the answer to one question without it following that I have all or even most of the answers.

To quote Socrates, "Sure I'm thirsty." There's always something more to know.

In the lying Christian discovery thread I noted a problem with Shelli's methodology...
Do you show the Love of Christ by condeming?
What's this inferentially, praise? :plain:

While in his (?) weeding is fundamentalist thread...
Why Did God Create Marijuana?
To make reading your posts bearable? :plain:

God lovingly and masterfully planted and "caused to grow" all of the herbs and plants of the field. The human body, which God created, has cellular receptors specific to match up with the active ingredient of Mary Jane, THC. Their fit was no accident, it was designed.
Addiction has a genetic element and some addicts are on the road to personal ruin with the first drink, etc. So God means for it to happen?

Of course not.

And over in Eesets latest thread closing/erasing venture...
Originally Posted by Eeset View Post
Anna the war is over and you lost.
Are you right or left handed?

I only asked because I was wondering which arm is grotesquely larger than the other.

Suggested in BV's one poster you'd like to see thread...
I'd vote for two, ktoyou and Plastic Buddha, because it would mean they're all right and because like many around here I miss them.

And in TSF's trivia game...
... see if you can answer this Q without going anywhere...

What president started the tradition of saying, after his swearing in (with hand on Bible)

"So help me God"?
I can't say who, but I bet he was married. :plain:

Came up with another one sentence movie review...
World War Z:zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Then wrapped up noting...
Oh I try never to thinly veil insults.
Sure you do.

You did it every time you made a Cary Grant or Randolph Scott comment aimed at invoking the slur that sent you to the bench without actually saying what would get you sent there again.

I'm going to neg rep Eeset for being an enormous hypocrite...

Only a moron would think that. :)
And for being a moron.

Tomorrow? Musical maladies, more trivia and it get's real up in here. :eek:

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Late Night Sunday Gazette

Things turned ugly in the One Poster thread...
Trust you to strike dischord into the conversation...:plain:
I started in on the obvious harmony rejoinder but, frankly, that was too good a return. :chuckle: I concede the point.

...and yes, I know you always thought I was conceded.

:plain:

Leading to a series of really bad puns culminating in...
I'm starting to feel all 'crotchety'...or 'quavering', I'm not sure which.

:plain:
You did that a crappella, didn't you. :eek:

While in Eeset's Rep, meshak made an exit to die for...seriously, it was killing me...
Ok, I am out this thread. It is beyond me.

I apologize.

Probably a good move, because-

May God bless you, lady.
Wait a minute, did you you just-

I have not seen you involved in the Scripture discussion. If you think...
I mean, a minute ago you were-

Bybee,

If you think you can expose me...
Hey, I've gotten drawn into a post I meant to walk away from, but I-

thank you ma'am.:)
:plain: As a rule, if you find yourself giving a toast at an AA meeting you might want to reconsider your handle on the problem.

Took a shot at TSF's trivia thread...
OK, all you history-illiterate people...

the answer is

Thomas Jefferson...
Was the question, "Which former president felt really, really bad about the slaves he kept owning until he died?"

Before noting...
...But this is typical of Christians... they love the religion but not what it actually dictates. That they hate.
So, not mortally wounded then...more of a flesh wound. :plain:

Followed by an explanation of why Jesus mentioned the specific cheek in a difference with WE over pacifism as a template...
So maybe he was a pacifist ONLY IN THOSE CASES where a slap was involved?!
Well, no. That's not pacifism any more than my eating a meatless panini makes me a vegetarian. You're overreaching, it's a contextual mistake caused by isolating and forgetting that before long Jesus is going to chase money changers from the temple how?

I'll give a hint: he wasn't slapping at them.

That sort of thing. :e4e:

And...
So you discount what he taught by the example of his life even though his example really has no clear example of violence...
...If you think chasing people out of the temple with a whip isn't a violent act you're a mighty interesting pacifist.

Tomorrow? Mostly funnies...or, steko. :eek:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Hump Day Gazette

So xAv started a thread on his rep...
For all criticism related to me, I guess I'll throw up some neg reps I get and offer my opinion on the things others do too.
Yeah, I just know this is going to turn out well. :plain:

While things were getting squirrelly in Ask Knight...
Calm yourself my dear Totton!
I'm still an Episcopalian!
I know a Veterinarian! :noid:
I bet you thanked him for his service. :mmph:

And worse...
I tried Squid in Sicily.
Sicily has a navy? :think:

It didn't take.
Didn't take what? :plain:

Then...well...I'm still not sure what happened...
No.....a navel.
Orange you glad you looked that up? :plain:

I forgot to take my jacket.
I don't think you can take your own stuff. :nono: Unless you're a communist.

Kept engaging xAv on faith...
...I oppose religion, and I spend most of my time dealing with the most popular one.
You should spend your time opposing things you're reasonably against that a given religion might support and the points you believe you can demonstrate the falsity of...otherwise, you remind me of chrys, who having a legitimate bone to pick with many democrats over abortion has decided to destroy the party instead of change minds on the issue, ignoring the fact that very few people are democrats because of one issue and that the larger context will remain.

Your second question is mistaken, the courage in convictions comes from believing that there are no Gods and being willing to risk my eternal "soul" on it.
But what courage is there in opposing what you believe is an imaginary being and what risk unless you credit the potential outcome? :think:

And...
...]I'm not trying to say that every Christian is Jim Jones or Charles Coughlin, I just have a problem with people believing things without evidence, which is what they tell me they're doing - I think it's dangerous and sad.
I think you're mischaracterizing to suit your bias/context. I doubt you'd find many who say they believe without evidence and I find the mischaracterization both dangerous and sad.

Now what do we do with one another?

Then in the Jews and Climate change thread...yeah, but no...
See, this is just plain crazy, prima facie (Latin, for "pretty fancy"). The Jews can't be behind climate change or you'd never be able to publish the fact since, as everyone knows, the Jews control all media and determine what is or isn't seen. :plain:

Tomorrow? Another anti theist spiral, a feinting lady (intentional) and TSF gets a pony ride. :plain:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
TGIF Gazette

Had another conversation with another James Dean anti-theist...
I am getting really tired of hearing people who believe in an invisible, undetectable, imaginary being making claims that they employ reason.
I was a rationalist/atheist for decades. I'm no less rational now. If it makes you tired you should take a nap.

We only know anything by direct examination.
No, you're wrong about that. If you rest your life on the empirical you're going to miss a great deal that is very real and nearly impossible to approach except in effect.

The idea of "god" has nothing to back it except fanciful dreaming. Nothing at all.
I'm tired of people like you confusing declaration of bias with argument.

It has the majority of recorded human history speaking for it. Causality, contingency, they speak to rational approach of man to God. Now you can say you aren't convinced. Fine. But if you say more than that you're mistaken at best.

Ask any detective in the world and he or she will tell you that eye-witness testimony is sketchy even when the reports are given immediately following an incident. Over time, that testimony is less and less reliable until eventually it is simply another fiction. Neuroscience will back this up.
Actually, it depends. I'm an attorney. I've interviewed and cross examined literally thousands of people in relation to events. The quality of witness depends on the individual and on the nature of the event. The Jewish people had a rich oral history. I suppose not having notebooks, let alone the internet had something to do with it.

And narratives on essential points can be related remarkably intact where literary devices are employed, where the prose is memorable and vivid. I can recite a great deal of Shakespeare and the Canterbury Tales in Middle English and I learned it decades ago. So it depends.

Also, it depends on what's witnessed. A traumatic experience will get you a fairly wide variance of recollection, though from a wide enough sampling of witnesses you can nail down the principle narrative pretty effectively.

The ages of the various accounts are debatable, but we know that Paul writes within the life in being of people who witnessed the events. We know that the apostles were growing the religion within the area and within the life in being of people who were in a perfect position to aid the principle religious authority in stamping out the new and troubling religion. And we know that didn't happen. His epistles speak to a widely spread and thriving church in relatively short order.

What we don't have is evidence of people with a vested interest in shouting Christianity down coming forward to say, "No, I was there and none of that happened."

If god is so clever and the whole of eternity was resting on the life, death and alleged resurrection of Jesus, how is it possible that none of it was documented until three decades after the alleged events took place and there is no outside corroborating evidence to support any of it?
I answered a bit of this above, but given we're talking about it a few thousand years later it seems that the communication was effective enough. And the Bible is a collection of books, written over time by different authors. If I bound together a book of evidence for an accident consisting of witness testimony you might say the same thing a few thousand years later.

We have what we have. There are any number of historical documents with less corroboration than that.

While in the latest conspiracy thread...
See the video evidence that the fainting lady at Obama's speech might have been staged.
Anything is possible. But is it reasonable?

Here's something the article missed. At the 2:26 mark, the man standing directly behind the woman drops his hands in preparation to catch her before she even starts falling.
Or he's just shifting body position, the way people will.

Obama also turns around and looks directly at the woman, like he knew in advance which person would be fainting.
Or like he does all the time at various points in up close speeches.

99 percent of the population are lousy actors. Shoot, most professional actors are lousy actors. It's why defense attorneys usually make sure their defendants don't testify. They know their clients can't act.
Defense attorneys don't like their clients testifying because a skilled cross examination can wreck the impact of direct. So it's not so much about acting as composure and the fact that the narrative isn't iron clad or you wouldn't be having a trial.

If you think your client is going to lie you're actually not allowed to let them and if it's demonstrated you did your practice will be more of a mirror thing thereafter.

Why would Obama even attempt something like this?
Great question. And without a great reason no reason to think he did.

Then TSF was hip deep in it...
...there are a lot of idiots in the country... but there are plenty who know the score...
And some who put up their own scoreboard and slap numbers across it and cheer for no apparent reason..

And in the Trivia thread she took exception to my noting Jefferson's plank...
i guess u r a one trick pony, eh?
No, but if it's a good enough pony there's no reason to trade horses.

i will bet $$ that Town Heretic...

if he had lived in the times of Jefferson.. and had massive $$

he would have owned slaves also...
I don't know. No one does. But I know what Jefferson was and all the smoke in the world won't change that.

you see, its like this...

if something is legal, that registers in most people's minds as: OK
No, it isn't like that...Jefferson knew better. He failed himself.

...so quit with the high and mighty stuff already
Did you mean to be ironic or don't you understand what you're up to here?

Then I got in early on the good morning thread...
'To know others is smart. To know yourself is wise.'
To be wise to others is smart, but assumptions take one to no one. :eek:

Good morning in advance. Because I only intend to be late once.

Tomorrow? You're probably on your own. :plain:

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Gazette Riddle:

3:00am The doorbell rings and you wake up. Unexpected visitors. It's your parents and they are there for breakfast. You have strawberry jam, honey, wine, bread and cheese. What is the first thing you open?