One Sentence Movie Reviews

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows: Adam Sandler hosting the Oscars makes more sense than this exercise in elementary film making.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
On this one, I'd read the book and not take a chance on the movie ruining it <cough... Eragon...cough>.

You probably missed LOTR. I mean, who could touch those books. :plain: :p

Don't listen to him, cm. He thinks going to a movie is ordering pay per view. :eek:

Lon

You probably missed LOTR. I mean, who could touch those books. :plain: :p
Jackson did a really good job, but yeah, casting Liv and allowing her to rescript the movie for her was a bit of an upset.
Don't listen to him, cm. He thinks going to a movie is ordering pay per view. :eek:
▲Home theater▲ but, "What-up?"

Perhaps you misread me here. I was agreeing with you the story was good. If it is done well, the movie will be great. My imagination tends to be more spectacular than quite a few movie attempts, however. So, my advice is still, wait for the reviews. If they seem okay, go see it but don't let a movie ruin the book like Eragon ruined the book for a few people. Thankfully I read the book first. The movie didn't grab me much at all.

Maybe we are of two differening opinions here. Me: "The book is usually much better than the movie."

I can think of a few cases where that is not so (Star Wars for instance), but to me, it is an exception to the rule. I am a reader over and against a movie-goer though, so you called that right.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...Maybe we are of two differening opinions here. Me: "The book is usually much better than the movie."
Tends to be, but there are great exceptions like Forrest Gump. I even thought Sense and Sensibility played better with Thompson's Oscar turn as screen adapter than left on the page, shocking as that might seem.

I can think of a few cases where that is not so (Star Wars for instance), but to me, it is an exception to the rule.
See, I was disappointed in the first Star Wars film because I'd read the book and what I had in my head was more interesting...loved it the second time through because I approached without my own agenda.

I am a reader over and against a movie-goer though, so you called that right.
I don't know that I can choose between them, though only if we include the Golden Age. Film has been a series of islands of quality in a sea of special effect driven, rehash modeled mediocrity for a great deal of the last few decades.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Atlas Shrugged Part 2: all new actors/same script...rand out of ideas by the end of the opening crediots.

I thought Iron Man one had a more emotionally compelling core and gravitas. I'd put it on the level of Captain America. The first half or so of the Avengers is a roller coaster of special effects, to me. They try to capture the "kill someone we like and establish the weight of motivation" gambit with the shield agent and it succeeds to some extent, though it's late in coming.

A good enough action film, but I thought it had little heart to it. Of the Marvel movies...I'd say IM2, Captain and the last X-Men were all a cut above this one as whole experience. Haven't seen the last Batman yet.

Taken 2? The trailer made me cringe. :idunno: And I liked the first one.

I'm waiting on Ender's Game, the next Bond and, of course, The Hobbit.
Ender's Game is definitely on my must see list with The Hobbit which I heard they broke up into three movies now. Don't know that I like that if it deviates too much from the book. I like James Craig as James Bond. But at the prices they charge, I think I can wait.

Prometheus - Very good movie with very good acting and special effects. Looking forward to the sequel.

Lonesome Dove: Possibly the greatest movie of all time based on the greatest secular book of all time coupled with 2 brilliant actors, amazing character development and the single coolest named character in film or print.

If I just remove punctuation, it still counts as one sentence, right???
:D
It was a very good miniseries on TV. I thought we were talking about movies?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I know of a good "one sentence" review of a play.

In 1951, Walter Kerr's review of the play "I am a camera":

"Me no Leica."

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Not a review, but this Lincoln looks terrific. There are two trailers. This one takes a few seconds to get to the movie but showcases better and ends on a "powerful" note.

Lincoln

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Skyfall: Awesome!

I don't think I can say much more without going into spoilers, because I want to talk about it so badly. Though my friend reviewed it as: just the right mix of global danger and personal vendetta.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Amazing Spider-Man: does to the first franchise what the second Batman series did to the first--and then some.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Brave: wasn't very, opting for the tried trite and true, but saved from collapse by an emotionally satisfying, if predictable, third act.

Arthur Brain

Titanic

Overhyped, Overlong, overbearing, over-stereotypical gunk from a director who made far better films prior to this, and in which the following edited version is more entertaining in regards to the above....

:plain:

Last edited: