A Momentary Life...

bybee

So I was thinking lately about the apostate again. Well, it I was reminded of my position on apostasy and how I've maintained the apostate falls out of the state of belief in his understanding of God because he vested his trust in his expectation/notion of God and not in God Himself, of God transcendent and beyond his ability to frame beyond the example of Christ and the Word.

But there's another thought in that and it is this...God has told us we can't really comprehend Him, only note His nature as He expresses it to and in us. So none of us can say we apprehend God, which is why I believe faith is vital and stressed in the Word as it is...it's also part of the hope for those who have been disabused of their love for their notion of Him, who nevertheless desired Him.

And if that's so then they may be as mistaken in their current state as they were in their approach and God is not done with them, whether or not they believe they are done with Him.

Well said! We have been discussing this very issue in a Bible study at my church currently.

bybee

My snapshots of eternity, are as my camera, dishelved, but incredibly meaningful moments that are viewed through the thick gel of time, by the tail, but well beyond it's confines. I believe something eternal indwells us, simply because we are inhabited by it. Everything screams against the short life-span toward not just everlasting meaning, but significant eternal meaning. I think, this conveyance, if not by me, will be retold on earth as it already has been:

ALASKA!

Every Jack London Jack of us Called of the Wild, has dreamed that dream and captured our imaginations, and longings, if not our selves.

(the rest of you? If that didn't grab you, nothing to see here :) It 'might' not be your eternal moment, but I'm trying to share....

It was late at night, which in Alaska means, "I'm Blind!!!" without headlights or a reading map. Remember the scene in Bruce Almighty where he grabs the moon and pulls it to 30x closer? That's Alaska. God did it a long time ago, but our 'artificial lights' bounce off the atmosphere and cloud the sky. Just once, one time a year, we should have a mandatory world-wide power outage (well, unless you have smog, but the rest of us). The sky in Alaska is brilliant with stars. Because they are the only lights in the sky, they are many times brighter and closer appearing than anything in the lower 48. On this night, I was doubting, and feeling sorry for myself. It wasn't a permanent job and I had gotten the news that it was going to end sooner than later. The sky was its usual brilliance that night, no clouds, clear, dark, beautiful. I could see the Big and little dipper. They came to my eyes rather quickly. There was Orion's, and the Milky Way, especially milky. I thanked God for the beauty of it. It put my little concerns in perspective. A few stars started falling then. Just a couple of meteorites burning in the atmosphere leaving trails. Still, brilliant and noticeable. I worked the nightshift and had an hour drive to home from Wasilla to Big Lake where I lived. It was a longer road home when I was thinking about what I was going to do next. The Northern Lights began waving in the sky. It wasn't just a single sheet of magnetic light, but waves, more than I could count shimmering. Sheets of brilliant color waving and undulating. If you haven't seen them, think 'moving rainbow at night' as to beauty. I remember a few of my first rainbows as a child. Rainbows and Northern Lights remind us that the Heavens display the handiwork of God. That was my lesson, my comfort, my reminder of eternal amongst the brutal ticking of the clock. My employment minutes were ticking away but seemed rather unimportant against this backdrop. I thanked God for this. It was a special drive home. Driving the last 10 minute leg to home, the sun crested the mountains and splashed beautiful hues into the sky, then, and more incredibly, the mountains turned to a molten bronze, as if God were pouring His forged metal over the mountain tops. I have never before or since seen the like of it. I had to pull over for a few moments (not explaining that). That hour drive is indelibly etched in my mind and consciousness like no other nature/outdoor experience. It is the pinnacle mark against all other outdoor experiences I've ever had, and it is a momentary snapshot of eternal life which David spoke of thousands of years before me - Psalm 19
Spoiler
Psalm 19
19 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
2 Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
3 There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.
4 Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
5 Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.
6 His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.

7 The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.
8 The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes.
9 The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
10 More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
11 Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.
12 Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.
13 Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.
14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.

Thanks Lon for an incredibly beautiful and moving post! I treasure your presence here. Blessings Dearie!

Reactions: Lon

Lon

A humorous eternity moment

A humorous eternity moment

My daughter was three and a half, still using a 'bink' (pacifier). Our thinking was that if we took it away, she might go to the thumb, and so we decided a 'thing' was better than the other. She was the only one of the kids who stuck with it that long but we thought a pacifier was easier to quit than a thumb, which would be with her long after the pacifier disappeared.

My brother helped put her in her car seat when we were leaving his house one day and said "Give me that bink. You are too old for that." I didn't let him take it, but I said, "It might be time."

She inhaled that pacifier like it was part of her face and never coming out again. All the way home, that bink bobbed with fury and she didn't say a word. About 30 minutes later, we pulled into our driveway and heard that unmistakable pop of a bink pulled from the mouth. For 30 minutes she had grudged and finally let out: "Me and my bink are running away!"

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
My oldest was about 3 and had a little bear that went with her nearly everywhere. She had a terrible cold one winters eve so we decided to put a little Mentholatum rub on her chest. It helped her sleep at night. Shortly after putting the rub on, she disappeared from her room while we were getting her bed ready to tuck here in. We went looking for her and found her sitting on the bathroom floor with Ty, the bear, laying in front of her. In one hand she held the jar of Mentholatum, her other hand had Mentholatumrub on her fingers and Ty's chest was a gooey mess. We weren't mad, but we asked her, "What are you doing?" She looked up and said, "Ty sick!"

We took Ty to wipe off the goo and explain that she was a good mommy for taking care of Ty but that Ty didn't need the Mentholatum rub to feel better. Off they went to bed and the next morning, Ty got a proper bath.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So I've pulled out of the apologetics/apostate chastising business. Had a very curious thing happen while considering the entirety of witness, what we should be about and what might be energy better applied. Two quotes came to me by two different messengers to settle the topic for me... the first was via Augustine of Hippo: "“The truth is like a lion; you don’t have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself.” And that stopped me. Later, watching A.D. (which has been interesting since it moved beyond a portrayal of yet another model turned Jesus into a different look at Pilot and the apostles) that line was echoed again.

"Okay. All right," I said to God. "I'm listening. I get it." And the band aid ripped away.

The problem with defending the truth is that it never asks us to do that in the first place. It doesn't require us to do it and when we try, however well intentioned we may consider ourselves we're considering ourselves too much and it can't help but come to that, too easily become a thing of pride instead of love. Some men may be able to avoid that. They're better men. I'm weak. I require grace and love and a steady, gentle (and not so) direction by the Author.

So today I'm more interested in speaking the truth that God gives me. And that truth is profoundly simple. Love God with all your heart and your neighbor as yourself. Reconcile yourself to God through submission to Christ, who is the actual truth. Become what you were meant to be. Find the joy that is your inheritance. And God keep you all the days of your lives.

IMJerusha

I was 17 when I met Paul. He fell in love with me. I did not love him the same way. Time came, time went. Paul met God and loved Him. I met God and loved Him. In later years, Paul and I shared this love together and celebrated the poignant moments of our youth. Before he left this earth rather suddenly, Paul gave this song to me on CD. Life is short, but I look forward to sharing love of God with him again, and with all my Brothers and Sisters, eternally.

Ode to Joy and Love in Him

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
:think: If you come to a point in life where you have difficulty thinking of something important to you that you got wrong, chances are you're doing it again.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Lately the Psalms have been a present comfort to me, coming to me in parts and phrases.

...you, Lord, protect me. You bring me honor; you give me hope. I will pray to the Lord and he will answer me from his holy mountain. I can lie down to rest and know that I will wake up, because the Lord covers and protects me.

brinny

A Momentary Life...

A place to make brief observations of the moments in your life that speak to you.

I don't know their names these
birds at my window singing

some thing joyful

a dove that has come to my window sill to visit on more than one occasion :)

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I taught my dog to recognise the different birds songs.....he used to love the blackbird most...we would hear the blackbird and stop and wait for his mate to reply "where is she?"

He would wuff happily in the direction of her song when it came.....

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
“We ought not to be weary of doing little things for the love of God, who regards not the greatness of the work, but the love with which it is performed.”

Brother Lawrence, The Practice of the Presence of God

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Whenever I worry about the sort of world Jack will grow into I remember that my son and his fellows will be taking the reigns of that world one day and I have hope for it...Jack is the inheritor of hope. All our children should be.

But hoping for them isn't enough. It's our job to keep the world of adults from beating it out of him, from reducing his joy and his love of everyone he meets to disappointment and resignation. It's our job to model something better for him, to not be complicit in the cynicism of an age that values what we do and forgets what we are, to remind him daily that the damage we've done this world and one another is the sum of separating the two and to leave him undivided.

If we can do that for our children and our grandchildren then they can do what we failed to do in and with this world and they won't only have hope to hold onto.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Carry what you can. Give the rest to God. It's a simple recipe for happiness, but it can be a difficult adjustment. We're accustomed to celebrating our own ingenuity and ability and worrying after our frailties and faults. But in the end it's simpler than that, frighteningly so until we adjust.

I remember how much I wanted to dive from the high dive as a kid. Couldn't wait to climb that ladder, terrified, happy. Reached the top and walked to the point of decision and looked down. Eventually I leaped. Eventually I found the joy in it. But the climb. That's really the hardest part. I just didn't know it until I felt the water again.

bybee

Carry what you can. Give the rest to God. It's a simple recipe for happiness, but it can be a difficult adjustment. We're accustomed to celebrating our own ingenuity and ability and worrying after our frailties and faults. But in the end it's simpler than that, frighteningly so until we adjust.

I remember how much I wanted to dive from the high dive as a kid. Couldn't wait to climb that ladder, terrified, happy. Reached the top and walked to the point of decision and looked down. Eventually I leaped. Eventually I found the joy in it. But the climb. That's really the hardest part. I just didn't know it until I felt the water again.

I so identify with this! I climbed the ladder to the "high diving board" fully confident that it would be easy-peasey for me. Oh how wrong was I! There was a line up behind me as I stood on the end of the board absolutely terrified out of my wits. Sheer unwillingness to admit defeat and look the coward forced me to
jump off. I've never done it again!:noway::surf::chicken:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I so identify with this! I climbed the ladder to the "high diving board" fully confident that it would be easy-peasey for me. Oh how wrong was I! There was a line up behind me as I stood on the end of the board absolutely terrified out of my wits. Sheer unwillingness to admit defeat and look the coward forced me to
jump off. I've never done it again!:noway::surf::chicken:
That's about where I found myself with the decision to trust God and step into the educational bid after a number of years away and at my age and situation. It's been partly exhilarating and partly terrifying, but now I'm mostly calm, taking a breath, ready for the next plunge, confident in my lifeguard. :)

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I was 17 when I met Paul. He fell in love with me. I did not love him the same way. Time came, time went. Paul met God and loved Him. I met God and loved Him. In later years, Paul and I shared this love together and celebrated the poignant moments of our youth. Before he left this earth rather suddenly, Paul gave this song to me on CD. Life is short, but I look forward to sharing love of God with him again, and with all my Brothers and Sisters, eternally.

Ode to Joy and Love in Him

beautiful !!!!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Jack went with me to a local cemetery the other day while I paid respects to a couple of absent friends. He noticed a number of children's graves along the paths. He appreciated the way some parents had placed pinwheels and bright colors. He thought the children would like them.

Eventually he asked me if I would die and I said yes, but I didn't think it would be any time soon. That seemed to satisfy him on the point.

We went on a bit more and then, after some silence, he said, "When you die we should bury you near the children." And he smiled.

My son.