Nuttin' Like a Hypocrite....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
A new MTV series features Hollywood celebrities praising the developing world's primitive lifestyles as earth-friendly -- despite those poor nations' high infant mortality rates and short life expectancies.

The eco-tourism show, called "Trippin'," premiered on March 28 and was heavily promoted in the runup to Earth Day. The show encourages environmental awareness and lauds traditional tribal lifestyles, which lack running water, electricity and other basic infrastructure.

The MTV series features actress Cameron Diaz and a rotating crew of "her close, personal friends [who] think globally and act globally." They tour developing nations, including Nepal, Bhutan, Tanzania, Honduras and visit remote villages in Chile.

Actress Drew Barrymore, who reportedly earns $15 million a film, told MTV viewers in one episode that after spending time in a primitive, electricity-free Chilean village, "I aspire to be like them more."

Barrymore, apparently enthralled by the lack of a modern sanitary facilities, gleefully bragged, "I took a poo in the woods hunched over like an animal. It was awesome."

The 32-year-old Diaz, who earns a reported $20-million a movie, boasted that the cow-dung slathered walls of a Nepalese village hut were "beautiful" and "inspiring," and she called the primitive practice of "pounding mud" with sticks to construct a building foundation "the coolest thing." There's oh so much more to read...

What can I say but :darwinsm: ?

Last edited:

Berean Todd

Nineveh said:
What can I say but :darwinsm: ?

Yeah, I'm sure that within the month we'll see her building herself a home out of dung walls and beating mud bricks. Who needs $20m a movie when you can have dung walls, right? :crackup:

Lovejoy

They could not have picked less convincing or credible representatives, but I suppose that is what works for MTV.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
If you guys think they are wacky so far... you should read their thought's on... um... "restroom" use ...

Emo

I think I'll have some :coffee: & get started.

Aahh, nothing like the smell of cow dung walls in the morning!

Lovejoy

emohaslove said:
I think I'll have some :coffee: & get started.

Aahh, nothing like the smell of cow dung walls in the morning!
Ha! Also, Yuck! I wonder how those two can mistake what is pragmatic (using resources that are available to fill a need) from what is preferable (being able to use almost anything but cow dung to fill that need). Do they really think it is in anyone's best interest to use cow feces to make a wall? Or to randomly deposit human feces, untreated, just outside of your village? Although I suppose that Drew is of the opinion that her (bleep) don't stink. Still, I would like them to attend a couple of births there, see what happens to the average newborn over the first few weeks of life, and then reassess their stand.

Emo

Lovejoy said:
Ha! Also, Yuck! I wonder how those two can mistake what is pragmatic (using resources that are available to fill a need) from what is preferable (being able to use almost anything but cow dung to fill that need). Do they really think it is in anyone's best interest to use cow feces to make a wall? Or to randomly deposit human feces, untreated, just outside of your village? Although I suppose that Drew is of the opinion that her (bleep) don't stink. Still, I would like them to attend a couple of births there, see what happens to the average newborn over the first few weeks of life, and then reassess their stand.

Yep, there's nothing sanitary about poo-poo walls encompassing your home. What's sad is the villagers have very scarce resources & dung seems to be their only option.

If the two ladies wanted to really help, they could easily finance the construction of cheap housing for these people that would actually be beneficial to the natives instead of just defecating in their woods.

Just another reason why I don't watch MTV.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Well the show is called "Trippin' ".

I wonder if any of them bothered to ask the people if they would like to have A/C and hot water piped right into their home...

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Nineveh said:
Well the show is called "Trippin' ".
I think that puts things into context... :D

... unless "trippin'" doesn't mean what it meant back in the 1960's anymore... :think:

Mr. 5020

Zakath said:
I think that puts things into context... :D

... unless "trippin'" doesn't mean what it meant back in the 1960's anymore... :think:
In today's slang, to say someone is "trippin" is saying they're "crazy" or "talking crazy". It no longer has much to do with acid, unless it's specified (ie. "trippin on acid").

PureX

And yet even those rich, spoiled, fools were doing more for the environment and poverty than we are: sitting at a computer, posting on yet another thread that has no purpose other than insulting and humiliating someone else. "Nuttin' like hypocrites", alright.

Mr. 5020

PureX said:
And yet even those rich, spoiled, fools were doing more for the environment and poverty than we are: sitting at a computer, posting on yet another thread that has no purpose other than insulting and humiliating someone else. "Nuttin' like hypocrites", alright.
What were they doing for the environment?

PureX

They're making young people aware of other ways of living - ways that are not so environmentally exploitative. They're helping young people to realize that maybe they don't need all the useless garbage in their lives that they think they need, because they can see that other human beings manage to live without a lot of it. I doubt it means anyone's going to give up their GameBoy, but maybe it will get them to reconsider some of the other junk they buy and throw away.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
PureX said:
They're making young people aware of other ways of living - ways that are not so environmentally exploitative. They're helping young people to realize that maybe they don't need all the useless garbage in their lives that they think they need, because they can see that other human beings manage to live without a lot of it. I doubt it means anyone's going to give up their GameBoy, but maybe it will get them to reconsider some of the other junk they buy and throw away.

buh--low--neeeeee

Lets head back to reality land, shall we?

The MTV crowd will get a kick out of sitting around watching Drew and Cameron make horses backsides of themselves.

PureX

Poly said:
buh--low--neeeeee

Lets head back to reality land, shall we?

The MTV crowd will get a kick out of sitting around watching Drew and Cameron make horses backsides of themselves.
No, you will get a kick out of it, because for some reason, you Christians really seem to love to insult and humiliate other people (hense the countless threads around here devoted to this end). But the MTV crowd are young kids. And they see other (relatively) young people exploring the world, and the way other people in the world live. And they see these other people living without a lot of the crap that the consumer culture they grew up in claims people MUST have. And it shows them that maybe they don't need all the material crap that they have in their lives. And maybe they'll begin to be a little more selective about what they consume in the future.

At least it's something. It's something more than sitting at a computer making fun of people you don't even know.

Status
Not open for further replies.