The Ever Present Problem of Atheism (HOF thread)

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Z Man
Well, you asked what my take on sin was and I replied that it was imperfection. Then, I just deceided to throw in there why it's a problem. No big deal; it didn't cost extra. ;)
That's good, I'm not on an expense account here, y'know. ;)

Yeah, the Jewish Messiah too. They just don't know it yet.
It's only been twenty centuries. When do you expect they'll figure it out?

I don't reject Judaism, persay, or look down upon them. I respect them greatly. They believe in the same thing we do other than the issue on Jesus being the Messiah. Besides, one day, when Jesus comes back in the end, the Jews will know He is their Messiah as well.
Actually they believe many things differently than you... try a brief read here link - he even takes questions!

God requires one to be perfect in order to be holy and acceptable to Him, thus ensuring a relationship with Him.
And you know this how?

But mankind chooses not to attain perfection.
I can see this point. It's too much trouble for most people.

The punishment for our sins is death.
Not always. Read the rest of the OT besides Isaiah. It describes all kinds of other penalties for various kinds of sin.

God knows we're doomed, so He deceided to come down and save us by showing us how to live a perfect life.
But his system was what doomed you in the first place. That's kind of a backwards way to handle things, don't you think?

Then, He bore our punishment, even though He was not guilty. He chose to sacrifice His own Son so that we could have a way to perfection. The only way is through His Son. He's the key to salvation.
So your deity requires and accepts human sacrifice?

Why don't we pursue a discussion on the validity and accuracy of some other written form of history, such as that on Alexander the Great, or George Washington, or some other great historical figure?
I provided you with some information about Alexander the Great which you did not comment on. Did you read any of the information I suggested? If so, what did you think?

It seems you guys, Atheists, want to pick apart the Bible and you request "extrodinary evidence", but when it comes to someone else who would not effect the way we live, you don't apply the same standards.
Very astute. You picked up the point that extraordinary claims (miracles, divine intervention in daily affairs, etc,) should require extraordinary evidence while day-to-day things that would not affect the way you live would require significantly less evidence since they may not impact you at all.

For example, you claim that not following the teachings of your deity will impact me eternally, while not accepting your view on Alexander the Great does not impact me at all.

I've read much of it before. Wasn't terribly impressed. Sorry. :(

I have evidence: the Bible. It's the same kind of written evidence that we all have for any type of history.
No its not. It's supporters claim that it is religious literature, not merely historical literature. Neither you or I would not care one whit whether someone claimed miraculous powers for Alexander the Great. But you claim extreme miraculous powers for one Jesus of Nazareth. That's a big difference and one that requires a different kind of evidence.

Look, I didn't "choose" to just believe in all this "hunky-doorie" hoobla one day. I didn't believe in God because of some kind of evidence or "feeling". I believe in God because He came to me and showed me the Truth. He saved me. He gave me the faith it takes for one to totally change their lives and give up everything they know to follow some guy who claimed to be God some 2000 years ago.
So you are claiming you had direct revelation from your deity?

And I know that evidence is not what it is going to take to change your mind either. It's going to take an act of God...
Quite possibly, if there is a deity... :rolleyes:

Regarding following the Law you wrote:
"We cannot uphold to it because we choose not to."
If you choose not to, then you also have the choice to choose to follow it. That's my point. If you can choose to follow it, then it's likely someone has. If they have, then there is no need for "salvation."

First, Jesus was human, not immortal.
I also believe that Jesus of Nazareth was human. The question is, do you believe that Jesus of Nazareth was "God" as well?

Second, YHWH didn't demand it from anybody; He choose to sacrifice His Son for us.
See my question above about human sacrifice...

Third, I am claiming that because of Christ's death, those who believe have been set free from the punishment of sin, and that because of His ressurection, we have hope and a reason to believe.
You know this because your deity told you, or because you read it somewhere?

We could be perfect if we choose to stop sinning. But can we; no.
If we cannot choose to stop, then we cannot stop. This makes it a no win scenario with the deity creating us for destruction...

I guess you misunderstood me. You asked me, "How do you know that you're correct [in your doctine] and [other Christians] are wrong?" To me, disagreement in doctrine is so little important in comparision to what really matters; belief in Jesus Christ. To me, as long as a Christian believes in this key point to the belief, then it dosn't matter what else we disagree on; they're still a Christian. That's all I was implying.
Thank you for clarifying.

Christianity is about a relationship with God, nothing more or less. Jesus Christ is the only person, thing, object, reality, or whatever, that can save an individual. A person has to believe this on their own. Someone else can't walk down that road for them; they have to have a relationship with God on their own. It's personal. God wants personal relationships with us.
But, aside from some personal revelation from your deity, how does one accomplish this radical change from unbelief to belief?

Zakath, I'm not religious and I could care less about Church history or why people killed who for what reasons. I don't care.
But they are your "brothers and sisters in Christ". Their actions impact you, even today. To ignore those actions is to weaken your position considerably.

Having a relationship with God is all that matters to me. Not religion, church history, church songs, offerings, whatever, just me and God. He's the only one who can save me. He's the only one that matters.
Just you and God, eh? If it's all about the individual and the deity, then why is there a "Church"?

Z Man

Originally posted by Zakath
It's only been twenty centuries. When do you expect they'll figure it out?

When He returns.

Actually they believe many things differently than you... try a brief read here link - he even takes questions!

Well, I know they ain't Christians, but our faith did come from theirs. We believe in the same God, just differently. I really do need to clarify more when I post, huh? :doh:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
God requires one to be perfect in order to be holy and acceptable to Him, thus ensuring a relationship with Him.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And you know this how?

Well, ummm, because us Christians tend to believe that God is perfect. And to fellowship with imperfection is against His character.

Not always. Read the rest of the OT besides Isaiah. It describes all kinds of other penalties for various kinds of sin.

I'm not talking about any kind of physical punishment or physical death, I'm talking about spiritual death; eternal damnation apart from Love, Truth, Light, the only Being whose beauty far surpasses that which any living being has ever witnessed on this earth; God.

But his system was what doomed you in the first place. That's kind of a backwards way to handle things, don't you think?

No, His system didn't doom us, we doomed ourselves. Like you said, His system was too much trouble for us. So we tossed Him aside and deceided to do things our way. What a big mistake. Some of us have found this out, but many are still wondering why we can't do anything right around here...

So your deity requires and accepts human sacrifice?

I thought I made this point clear when I said God chose to take upon Himself our punishment. It's like if you were walking through the jungles in Vietnam and shots were fired and another soldier jumped in front of you to take your bullet. Has nothing to do with human sacrifices. It's all about love.

I provided you with some information about Alexander the Great which you did not comment on. Did you read any of the information I suggested? If so, what did you think?

Yeah, I read it. I think that whether there were earlier historical claims about him or not is irrelevant; The fact is you believe in them. Why not believe in what people wrote about Jesus?

quote:
It seems you guys, Atheists, want to pick apart the Bible and you request "extrodinary evidence", but when it comes to someone else who would not effect the way we live, you don't apply the same standards.
Very astute. You picked up the point that extraordinary claims (miracles, divine intervention in daily affairs, etc,) should require extraordinary evidence while day-to-day things that would not affect the way you live would require significantly less evidence since they may not impact you at all.

For example, you claim that not following the teachings of your deity will impact me eternally, while not accepting your view on Alexander the Great does not impact me at all.

What Alexander the Great did in his time and age was phenomenal. He claims to have conquered the world at age 33! No one has ever done that before. That is indeed an extraordinary event in history.

So, I ask, "Where is the extraordinary evidence to back that extraordinary claim up?" Has any skeptic in Christ's resurrection, equally applied the principle of "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence," to Alexander the Great's conquest of the known world? If not, then this brings us full circle to the issue concerning presuppositions. With an atheist, for example, the presupposition that God does not exist means that the extraordinary claim of Christ's resurrection requires extraordinary evidence but Alexander the Great's world conquest does not, yet both are extraordinary claims of history.

If it is true about Alexander the Great, no big deal. It won't have any effect on anyone and it won't change anything in anyone's life outside of just having the information that he conquered the known world by age 33. But, if it is true about Jesus, then that is completely different. Jesus claimed to be divine and He had a message for people about heaven and hell and that salvation is only through Him. Such a claim requires extraordinary evidence, such as a resurrection from the dead. This would have a profound effect on people and it can make them uncomfortable. Therefore, people will not want it to be true and will desperately try to hold onto their presuppositions; hence, the claim that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
Matthew J. Slick
CHRISTIAN APOLOGETICS AND RESEARCH MINISTRY

No its not. It's supporters claim that it is religious literature, not merely historical literature. Neither you or I would not care one whit whether someone claimed miraculous powers for Alexander the Great. But you claim extreme miraculous powers for one Jesus of Nazareth. That's a big difference and one that requires a different kind of evidence.

What kind of evidence? And why don't you ask the same of the historical claims made on Alexander's conquering of the world at age 33? That seems to be an extremely extraodinary claim, don't you think?

So you are claiming you had direct revelation from your deity?

He didn't come out of Heaven with thunder and lightening or anything. Here's my story. I was raised in a Christian home and I've believed in God for as long as I can remember. I had my doubts though, especially when I was younger and during my pre-teen years, but God saved me and I can not stray from the faith. I knew deep down inside that He was real because of many things I've seen in my life and the things I see around me. I've heard the truth spoken in churches and through the Bible and I've seen it in action in the world. I've related this truth with what the world has to offer and I see a world that is extremely blind of what it has gotten into. People blindly follow sin, believing it will grant them happiness. And it does, but for only a season... Anyways, I'll shut up now. I tend to ramble alot, sorry. :eek:

Quite possibly, if there is a deity... :rolleyes:

You'll find out one day. I just pray it won't be too late... :(

If you choose not to, then you also have the choice to choose to follow it. That's my point. If you can choose to follow it, then it's likely someone has. If they have, then there is no need for "salvation."

I agree. But if there was a chance that people could live perfect lives, then we wouldn't be debating right now because there would have never been a Jesus who died on the cross. In fact, we'd all be naked still, living in a beautiful garden... ;)

I also believe that Jesus of Nazareth was human. The question is, do you believe that Jesus of Nazareth was "God" as well?

Yes. I believe in the Trinity. But let's not go down that road either. Too long...

See my question above about human sacrifice...

See my answer above on human sacrifice.

You know this because your deity told you, or because you read it somewhere?

I know this from experience.

If we cannot choose to stop, then we cannot stop. This makes it a no win scenario with the deity creating us for destruction...

Well, some of us. The elect will be saved.

Thank you for clarifying.

You're welcome.

But, aside from some personal revelation from your deity, how does one accomplish this radical change from unbelief to belief?

One can not do it on their own will. Only God can make one believe. Only He can change one's heart. He does this through the gospel. When His elect hear the truth, they believe it and become saved, born-again, a new man with a changed heart, etc. etc.

But they are your "brothers and sisters in Christ". Their actions impact you, even today. To ignore those actions is to weaken your position considerably.

They had nothing to do with my salvation.

Just you and God, eh? If it's all about the individual and the deity, then why is there a "Church"?

Oh boy, I knew this was coming. Either you read too much into my posts, or like you said, I just don't clarify enough. Of course the church is important. To not fellowship with people who believe in the same thing you do would be suicide to your faith. One who is saved will desire to "hang out" with those in the same mind and accord as you. That's where the church scene comes into play. But the church has nothing to do with my salvation. It does not sustain it, grant it, contribute to it, nor take away from it; that's totally in God's hands.

Last edited:

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Hmmm...

Hmmm...

Looks like One-Eyed Jack isn't interested in tackling the little discontinuity I brought to his attention...

One Eyed Jack

There is no discontinuity, Gerald. Just because I believe in God, doesn't mean I think I can make Him appear and perform miracles, in order to satisfy our scientific curiousity. Your query was contradictory -- how else was I supposed to respond to it?

Last edited:

shima

As always, the Christians have no proof that they are correct. Since their religion is, from the atheistic point of view, no different from any of the countless other religions on earth, why should we believe it? I have read the bible and it wasn't believable. So, according to your arguements, God doesn't like me very much and chooses NOT to save me.

As a question to the Christians: could you give me some of your reasons to reject both the Jewish and the Muslim religion?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
While claiming to be "absolutely correct", Christians generally fail the proof test two ways:

1. They have no demonstrable, empircal proof they are exclusively correct.

2. They have no demonstable, empirical proof that others (either other religionists or non-theists) are absolutlely wrong.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by One Eyed Jack
There is no discontinuity, Gerald. Just because I believe in God, doesn't mean I think I can make Him appear and perform miracles, in order to satisfy our scientific curiousity. Your query was contradictory -- how else was I supposed to respond to it?
So, am I to infer from this that you don't believe in invisible nasties like Freak does?

Or is it that you do believe they exist, despite the fact that the existence of such beings has yet to be demonstrated?

One Eyed Jack

Originally posted by Gerald

So, am I to infer from this that you don't believe in invisible nasties like Freak does?

Define 'invisible nasties.' I certainly don't believe in everything that might fall under that description (such as alien abductors, fairies, ghosts, or gremlins).

Or is it that you do believe they exist, despite the fact that the existence of such beings has yet to be demonstrated?

I wouldn't say their existence has yet to be demonstrated, period, but I can't exactly demonstrate their existence in a repeatable and verifiable manner, either. Nonetheless, I do believe that such beings exist.

Does that clear things up for you?

Last edited:

RogerB

Shima,

As always, the Christians have no proof that they are correct. Since their religion is, from the atheistic point of view, no different from any of the countless other religions on earth, why should we believe it? I have read the bible and it wasn't believable. So, according to your arguements, God doesn't like me very much and chooses NOT to save me.

It is you who has chosen to reject God. He desparately wants to save you. Good luck in your search.

shima

RogerB
>>It is you who has chosen to reject God.<<

The bible is to me unbelievable. Without verification from an independant source I tend not to believe fairytales.

>>He desparately wants to save you.<<

Obviously not desperate enough.

>>Good luck in your search.<<

Why? I have, for myself, determined that he doesn't exist. Otherwise there would have been a massive amount of evidence pointing towards his existence. So far, no evidence.

RogerB

Shima,

You mean to say that you believe your search is over? You are here to shine the light of truth and overpowering evidence on all of us gullible, ignorant believers?

I think you are still searching and this is a better place than most to look.

Roger

Z Man

Originally posted by shima
As always, the Christians have no proof that they are correct. Since their religion is, from the atheistic point of view, no different from any of the countless other religions on earth, why should we believe it? ... As a question to the Christians: could you give me some of your reasons to reject both the Jewish and the Muslim religion?

The Christian God is the only God who created a solution to mankinds problem, which is sin. The Muslim faith does not. For example, in the Muslim faith, to get to "paradise", one must do certain tasks, such as make a trip to Mecca, fast in the month of Ramadan, pray 3 times a day, etc. etc. But Christianity teaches that man cannot save themselves, only God can, and He did, displaying the most powerful presentation of love that this world has ever seen. As for Judaism, I believe they are still God's people and He will save them in the end.

I have read the bible and it wasn't believable. So, according to your arguements, God doesn't like me very much and chooses NOT to save me.

God desires that everyone comes to know Him. You are on His mind everyday. If you feel that something is stirring inside of you, bothering you everyday, about His existence, or a desire to know Him more, I suggest you heed the call and give in. You've heard the news of the gospel, no doubt, now it's up to you to deceide. You can reject Christ all your life, but you won't have a pleasant one, no matter what you tell yourself or do to make it feel worth living...

Z Man

While claiming to be "absolutely correct", Christians generally fail the proof test two ways:

2. They have no demonstable, empirical proof that others (either other religionists or non-theists) are absolutlely wrong.

While claiming to be "absolutely correct", Ateists generally fail the proof test two ways:

2. They have no demonstrable, empirical proof that others (such as us Christians) are absolutley wrong.

Dear Zakath,
You have yet to answer my question:

But you claim extreme miraculous powers for one Jesus of Nazareth. That's a big difference and one that requires a different kind of evidence.

Originally posted by Z Man
What kind of evidence? And why don't you ask the same of the historical claims made on Alexander's conquering of the world at age 33? That seems to be an extremely extraodinary claim, don't you think?

Last edited:

shima

RogerB:
>>Shima, You mean to say that you believe your search is over?<<

I haven't stopped searching, but the more I search the more I have become convinced that the bible isn't true.

>>You are here to shine the light of truth and overpowering evidence on all of us gullible, ignorant believers?<<

No. I'm not here to "shine the light of truth", since its just my belief that the bible isn't true. While some small parts have been disproven (Theory of Evolution, Global Flood) most major parts are "unprovable and unrefutable". They thus depend solely on belief, which ofcourse can swing either way.

>>I think you are still searching and this is a better place than most to look.<<

I never stopped searching, which is more than I can say for most christians.

>>The Christian God is the only God who created a solution to mankinds problem, which is sin.<<

I don't believe Sin exists.

>>The Muslim faith does not. For example, in the Muslim faith, to get to "paradise", one must do certain tasks, such as make a trip to Mecca, fast in the month of Ramadan, pray 3 times a day, etc. etc. <<

So they did create a solution. Its just not a solution that YOU like.

>>But Christianity teaches that man cannot save themselves, only God can, and He did, displaying the most powerful presentation of love that this world has ever seen. As for Judaism, I believe they are still God's people and He will save them in the end.<<

Every religion teaches different things. In what way does this make Christianity any different from the millions of other religions?

>>God desires that everyone comes to know Him. You are on His mind everyday. If you feel that something is stirring inside of you, bothering you everyday, about His existence, or a desire to know Him more, I suggest you heed the call and give in.<<

What is bothering me mostly is what is written in the bible. The God as described in the Old Testament is simply NOT a good God. He's an *******, hypocritical, vengefull God.

>>You've heard the news of the gospel, no doubt, now it's up to you to deceide. You can reject Christ all your life, but you won't have a pleasant one, no matter what you tell yourself or do to make it feel worth living...<<

I have a pleasant life thank you very much. Yes, I've struggled with life for quite a while but I am on top of things right now. And I know that I am strong enough as a person to survive any challenges life can throw at me. And as for leading a fullfilling life: suppose that all that you believe is WRONG and the Muslims were rigth after all? You will definitely burn in the Islamic version of Hell for your unwillingness to convert to Islam.

RogerB

Shima,

I never stopped searching, which is more than I can say for most christians.

The whole point in searching is to STOP once you've found what you're looking for.

What exactly are you searching for? A religion with empirical evidence? One that fits your current lifestyle? One that doesn't ask you to give up something you love? One without miracles?

Jesus is offering you eternity in heaven. That's too good to be true, right? And it certainly can't be proven. So are you looking for a religion that has no concept of heaven or eternal life?

Well, maybe I should just let you list out your requirements for a religion you could believe in. I just want you to be careful in making your list. Make sure that you list things that YOU want, not false hopes and dreams planted in your mind by this world (or, dare I say it - Satan).

Have a good day! :)

shima

RogerB
>>The whole point in searching is to STOP once you've found what you're looking for.<<

Yes, but how do you KNOW that what you just found is what you were looking for in the first place? I find that, while finding something is always very cool, there is no reason to STOP searching. Who knots what ELSE you might encounter on your search? Perhaps you find that what you found first wasn't really what you were looking for, and didn't hold the awnsers you thought it did.

>>What exactly are you searching for? A religion with empirical evidence? One that fits your current lifestyle? One that doesn't ask you to give up something you love? One without miracles?<<

The truth. I'm a very curious person, so I WANT to know (not believe) if I have the "right" awnser.

>>Jesus is offering you eternity in heaven. That's too good to be true, right? <<

Which was one of the reasons why I rejected it.

>>And it certainly can't be proven. So are you looking for a religion that has no concept of heaven or eternal life?<<

I'm not LOOKING for a religion. What I am looking for is awnsers to questions like: "Why are we here", "What happens to your soul after you die" etc. I have awnsers already, but that doesn't mean they are CORRECT (if there are indeed "correct" awnsers to these questions) merely because I believe them to be correct. I am always comapring my awnsers to awnsers from others to see if perhaps they have "better" awnsers.

Most religions awnser these questions, but only in the context of meaning given to us by God/Gods/Powerfull Entities. This awnser demands further awnsers to questions like: "Where did that powerfull entity come from", "what are his motives for doing *insert committed attrocity here*" etc.

>>Well, maybe I should just let you list out your requirements for a religion you could believe in. I just want you to be careful in making your list. Make sure that you list things that YOU want, not false hopes and dreams planted in your mind by this world (or, dare I say it - Satan).<<

Its not a religion I'm looking for, nor philosophy, but EVIDENCE. There are plenty of awnsers out there, but NONE of them are in any way evidently correct. This is why I hang out on sites like this one: it gives me a chance to talk to people who have different awnsers to these questions, and see what evidence/arguements they have for thinking their awnser is CORRECT.

I stop searching only when I think I have found awnsers that can be explained/argued from any viewpoint and STILL hold up. Religion obviously doesn't satisfy that criterium.

PureX

Originally posted by RogerB
Shima,

The whole point in searching is to STOP once you've found what you're looking for.
When I was about 12 or 13, I found alcohol. It felt very much like the solution to all my problems. It worked so well (it seemed to me) that I never tried another solution for over 20 years. It took that long for me to see and understand that what looked and felt so much like a solution was in fact no solution at all. It was just a drug that kept me from caring about the problems, or about any other possible solutions.

For a lot of people, religion works much the same way. They find it, it feels like a solution, and they never look for anything else thereafter. At least not until it becomes brutally and painfully obvious to them that it was not a solution after all. But like alcoholics, many will never reach that point. They will die addicted to their "solutions". Their whole life having been wasted on hiding from a reality that gives us far more questions than it does answers. When we stop asking, we stop living. Ignorance and curiosity are the human condition.