ARCHIVE: Is it ever OK for a Christian to hate someone?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
God_Is_Truth said:
so, back to the original topic.

are there any other verses supporting the idea of hating others besides Psalms 139:21-22 and Romans 12:9 ?
Is there a number limit of verses you have in mind that would be acceptable to you? :)

Personally I think one is enough.

God_Is_Truth

Knight said:
Is there a number limit of verses you have in mind that would be acceptable to you? :)

Personally I think one is enough.

i'm very skeptical of "one verse doctrines" to be honest. also, there are at least 3 verses that say to love your enemies. so, just by verse count, that would hold the upper hand.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
God_Is_Truth said:
i'm very skeptical of "one verse doctrines" to be honest. also, there are at least 3 verses that say to love your enemies. so, just by verse count, that would hold the upper hand.
We should love our enemies! Who ever said anything otherwise?

Again... hate and love are not equal opposites.

I love my enemies enough to righteously hate them the way God demands so that they have the chance to repent.

stunrut

Knight said:

I love my enemies enough to righteously hate them the way God demands so that they have the chance to repent.

You crack me up! :LoJo:

God_Is_Truth

Knight said:

i honestly don't understand that one bit.

God_Is_Truth

to further the "confusion", Jesus seems to directly go against the Psalm in the NT

Matthew 5
43"You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.'

44"But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

he says they "have heard" which seems to be a reference to the Psalm you quoted. but then he goes on to say "But i say to you", which seems to me like it's a change, something different. Jesus is saying that while it was said before (by David?) to hate their enemies, Jesus now says they are to love their eneimies. he seems to almost be pointing out something David got wrong.

what do you think?

Mr. 5020

Knight said:

So we should love them and hate them simultaneously. This would probably be easier to understand if you gave an example. Can you think of any?

God_Is_Truth

Knight said:
Let me make it more confusing for you....

It is unrighteously hateful to NOT righteously hate the wicked.

:dizzy:

perhaps after you respond to my Jesus quote i'll understand better.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Mr. 5020 said:
So we should love them and hate them simultaneously. This would probably be easier to understand if you gave an example. Can you think of any?
In practical terms how should we as individuals and as a society treat a man who rapes and murders one of our own children?

Should we love them through acceptance and tolerance? Or should we love them through rebuking them and putting them to death?

One of the above options will send them to hell for sure, the other option might bring them to repentance.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
God_Is_Truth said:
:dizzy:

perhaps after you respond to my Jesus quote i'll understand better.
You still think love and hate are opposite therefore you are misunderstanding everything that is being said in this thread.

God_Is_Truth

Knight said:
You still think love and hate are opposite therefore you are misunderstanding everything that is being said in this thread.

why should i think they are not? doesn't the matthew example suggest that they are opposites?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
God_Is_Truth said:
why should i think they are not? doesn't the matthew example suggest that they are opposites?
No, not at all!

Again, I affirm... we should love our enemies!

Now, in practical terms we need to figure how to love our enemies in a godly and effective way.

Think about this verse for a second....

Romans 12:9 Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good.

How can we abhor our enemy of a neighbor yet still love him as Jesus commanded?

It's pretty simply really once we figure out that hate is morally neutral - in that hate can be a bad thing or a good thing.

Leviticus 19:17 ‘You shall not hate your brother in your heart. You shall surely rebuke your neighbor, and not bear sin because of him.

Get it?

ItIsWritten

God hates workers of iniquity

God hates workers of iniquity

For those who believe a Christian should try and be like/emuluate/reflect God...

consider Psalm 5:5 which says, "thou hatest all workers of iniquity."

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
ItIsWritten said:
For those who believe a Christian should try and be like/emuluate/reflect God...

consider Psalm 5:5 which says, "thou hatest all workers of iniquity."
I guess that makes three GIT, now what? :D

God_Is_Truth

Knight said:
No, not at all!

Again, I affirm... we should love our enemies!

well that's good

Now, in practical terms we need to figure how to love our enemies in a godly and effective way.

Think about this verse for a second....

Romans 12:9 Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good.

How can we abhor our enemy of a neighbor yet still love him as Jesus commanded?

people are not evil. they just do evil things. i think you are therefore misusing Romans 12:9.

It's pretty simply really once we figure out that hate is morally neutral - in that hate can be a bad thing or a good thing.

i do not believe all hate is bad. i think we should hate evil things and unrighteousness and such. but i do not see grounds for hating other people. that has not yet (in my view) been established.

Leviticus 19:17 ‘You shall not hate your brother in your heart. You shall surely rebuke your neighbor, and not bear sin because of him.

Get it?

i don't get how that verse helps establish that hatred towards individuals is acceptable and ok, no.

God_Is_Truth

Knight said:
I guess that makes three GIT, now what? :D

oh i'm sure i can find a few more :D

Galatians 6:10
So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith.

good to "all people". how is hating someone good?

1 Thessalonians 5:15
See that no one repays another with evil for evil, but always seek after that which is good for one another and for all people.

never "evil for evil", but "good for another" and for "all people". how could that possibly include hate?

Titus 3:3
For we also once were foolish ourselves, disobedient, deceived, enslaved to various lusts and pleasures, spending our life in malice and envy, hateful, hating one another.

here Paul calls being "hateful" foolish, and thus part of the flesh.

Deuteronomy 19
11"But if there is a man who hates his neighbor and lies in wait for him and rises up against him and strikes him so that he dies, and he flees to one of these cities,

12then the elders of his city shall send and take him from there and deliver him into the hand of the avenger of blood, that he may die.

this passage suggests passively that hate is not good towards individuals as well. we see that the hate towards his neighbor (good samaritan anyone?) led the man to kill him which was obviously wrong. we see no indication that the hate part of the man was ok and righteous.

would you like me to continue?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
God_Is_Truth said:
oh i'm sure i can find a few more :D

Galatians 6:10
So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith.

good to "all people". how is hating someone good?
It gives them a chance to repent. Read this thread and see for yourself or ask lovemeorhateme and see what he says. :)

1 Thessalonians 5:15
See that no one repays another with evil for evil, but always seek after that which is good for one another and for all people.
Being evil would be bad. We all agree.

never "evil for evil", but "good for another" and for "all people". how could that possibly include hate?
It can be good to hate (as the Bible states so clearly yet you reject).

Titus 3:3
For we also once were foolish ourselves, disobedient, deceived, enslaved to various lusts and pleasures, spending our life in malice and envy, hateful, hating one another.

here Paul calls being "hateful" foolish, and thus part of the flesh.
Unrighteous hate is bad, we all agree.

Deuteronomy 19
11"But if there is a man who hates his neighbor and lies in wait for him and rises up against him and strikes him so that he dies, and he flees to one of these cities,

12then the elders of his city shall send and take him from there and deliver him into the hand of the avenger of blood, that he may die.

this passage suggests passively that hate is not good towards individuals as well. we see that the hate towards his neighbor (good samaritan anyone?) led the man to kill him which was obviously wrong. we see no indication that the hate part of the man was ok and righteous.

would you like me to continue?
Another excellent example of unrighteous hate.

Until you see that hate is morally neutral you will forver be confused about such verses.