ARCHIVE: Who wrote the book of Hebrews

ApologeticJedi

I’ve always been fascinated with this topic. It is really the one book in the Bible that authorship hasn’t been established firmly. While it is not the only book where the author never names himself (see Matthew, John, Acts, and others), it is the only one that isn’t established by tradition either. Many people have submitted their guesses on this topic, and so will I. (I’m sure when we meet the real author in heaven, he’ll have his laugh at our expense.)

Here are some of the clues I’ve collected over the years:

#1. Many have pointed out the continuity that exists between Peter’s epistles and the book of Hebrews. This has lead many to believe that Peter may have been the author of Hebrews, and that in reality, it was the first epistle Peter wrote.

I disagree that Peter is the true author, but I think this is a key point that the author of Hebrews and Peter were very, very, close in their thought process. The reason I will dismiss Peter, is the same reason I dismiss Paul.

#2. The author of Hebrews was a second hand convert.

Hebrews 2:3b …which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that head him;

This seems to rule out the twelve apostles and Paul and anyone who got their doctrine directly from Jesus. The apostles are ruled out because they would identify themselves as those that actually heard him. They did not need to receive it from someone else who also heard Jesus. Likewise, Paul seems to completely argue against the idea that anything came to him save from Jesus directly in the beginning of his epistle to the Galations (see the first chapter and half of the epistle).

If we assume (and some may not) that the author is mentioned somewhere in the Bible then this clue would greatly narrow the list of suspects.

#3. The author was very well educated. Another reason I disagree that Peter could have written Hebrews is the outstanding literary and rhetorical style that the author of Hebrews had verses Peter’s two epistles. The author was likely of a wealthy family and high standing, whereas Peter was somewhat considered “uneducated”.

#4. The author identifies himself as Jewish and seems to have a deep love of the Jews. This is a somewhat minor point as it doesn’t narrow the list of suspects down very often.

#5. The author is familiar with Timothy (13:23), and even what was going on with Timothy coming out of prison. Another minor point as it doesn’t narrow the list of suspects greatly.

#6. The author seems to be familiar with Rome

Hebrews 13:24b … They of Italy salute you.

This could be viewed either as the author writing from Italy (less likely), or the author was writing back to Italy speaking of others from Italy who were with him saluting them (more likely). In either case, the author has a familiarity with those he is talking to and likely has a knowledge of them. Another minor point.

Consider my suggestion on how one particular person fits all of the points minor and major. The person I believe has written the book of Hebrews is someone who was a second-hand convert. This person was a convert of Apostle Peter! (1 Peter 5:13) Tradition holds that Peter dictated to him the events of Jesus and that he wrote the first gospel based on Peter’s account. Tradition also holds that he gospel was immediately accepted as cannon based on Peter’s authority. This largely explains the continuity between the book of Hebrews and the Apostle Peter without making the association of Hebrews 2:3 and literary device. This person was born of a wealthy Jewish family (Acts 12:12). This person traveled with Paul for a short time, although he left Paul to return to the Jerusalem (Acts 13:13). While this angered Paul for a time, this person came back to Paul to be with him in the end while he was in prison at Rome (2 Tim 4:11). His close contact with Paul gave him close insight to Timothy’s life as well.

jeremiah

BANNED
Banned
That is some very good detective work! Most people I know are very adamant that it was Paul. There reasons are more sentimantal and hunch than clear and convincing. I have ruled out Paul for the simple fact that he always identifies himself by NAME, and by some other personal characteristic, in each of the other epistles. The style is completely different, but yes, he could have changed style in speaking to his 'own' people.
My hunch for a long time has been Silas. Mainly because he shed his blood and hung in chains in the Phillipian jail with Paul. Yet they were singing hymns and praises to the Lord and were then blessed and freed by a miracle!
My hunch is that because his faith had passed the test of blood, and imprisonment, that God also then blessed him to write the book of Hebrews.
I will have to study to see if he meets your criteria, which seem preety sound to me. :up:
A lot of scholars think it was Barnabus. I think that he would probably meet more of your criteria. I will have to study up on him too. :)

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
The folks who put together the ancillary material for my Crown Reference Bible opine that it could be Apollos. A. Berkeley Mickelsen is the author of the outline and survey to Hebrews.

Crow

It's all speculation--I don't think that it was Paul because his primary mission was to the Gentiles.

Ninjashadow

I've heard that it may have been Luke, but Luke was not Jewish. He did, however, have a love for the jews (I would assume) because of his travels with Paul.

I tend to think that the strongest case could be made for Apollos.

Crow

Or it will be someone who never got a mention in scripture, and we're going to be saying "Who the heck is that?"

Sir Cast-a-Lot

Ninjashadow said:
I've heard that it may have been Luke, but Luke was not Jewish. He did, however, have a love for the jews (I would assume) because of his travels with Paul.

I tend to think that the strongest case could be made for Apollos.

was apollos jewish?

Ninjashadow

As far as I have found, Gaius was from Macedonia and was (of course) a Christian. Since Macedonia was the northern part of Greece (at least part of it was) it's possible that Gaius was Greek.

SteveT

I've always been of the opinion it was Barnabas, as he was a Levite and therefore the topic of the priesthood would have been particularly of interest to him. Also, most scholars agree the epistle is really a sermon, not a letter (it lacks the usual structural characteristics of a letter), and by it's theme it is clearly addressed to well educated Jews, very possibly priests and Levites, written by someone who, though not one of the twelve, had a very high standing among them. Barnabas, whose stature was great enough that on his word they allowed the much-feared Paul to meet the Apostles (Acts 9:27), certainly seems to fit the bill.

Chileice

ApologeticJedi said:
I’ve always been fascinated with this topic. It is really the one book in the Bible that authorship hasn’t been established firmly. While it is not the only book where the author never names himself (see Matthew, John, Acts, and others), it is the only one that isn’t established by tradition either. Many people have submitted their guesses on this topic, and so will I. (I’m sure when we meet the real author in heaven, he’ll have his laugh at our expense.)

Here are some of the clues I’ve collected over the years:

#1. Many have pointed out the continuity that exists between Peter’s epistles and the book of Hebrews. This has lead many to believe that Peter may have been the author of Hebrews, and that in reality, it was the first epistle Peter wrote.

I disagree that Peter is the true author, but I think this is a key point that the author of Hebrews and Peter were very, very, close in their thought process. The reason I will dismiss Peter, is the same reason I dismiss Paul.

I find this topic very interesting and I always have. Although we will never know for sure, it is fun to speculate. However, I must challenge you on your first point. I don't know many authors who push a strong affinity with Peter. Certainly Hebrews does not go against Peter, but neither is it anything like it in structure or in the Greek that is used. What causes you to say they are very very close? Can you give me some examples? Hebrews also reflects quite a bit of Pauline thought. The way it quotes scripture and uses it is like Matthew. The writer is almost allegorical in his use of scripture. Certainly you could link him/her to many different NT authors, but I don't see the connection between him and Peter as so much stronger than the connection to other authors. And your jump to hyperspace with Mark is interesting but hardly seems to satand a literary test.

ApologeticJedi said:
#2. The author of Hebrews was a second hand convert.

This seems to rule out the twelve apostles and Paul and anyone who got their doctrine directly from Jesus. The apostles are ruled out because they would identify themselves as those that actually heard him. They did not need to receive it from someone else who also heard Jesus. Likewise, Paul seems to completely argue against the idea that anything came to him save from Jesus directly in the beginning of his epistle to the Galations (see the first chapter and half of the epistle).

If we assume (and some may not) that the author is mentioned somewhere in the Bible then this clue would greatly narrow the list of suspects.
I would agree with you here.

ApologeticJedi said:
#3. The author was very well educated. Another reason I disagree that Peter could have written Hebrews is the outstanding literary and rhetorical style that the author of Hebrews had verses Peter’s two epistles. The author was likely of a wealthy family and high standing, whereas Peter was somewhat considered “uneducated”.

#4. The author identifies himself as Jewish and seems to have a deep love of the Jews. This is a somewhat minor point as it doesn’t narrow the list of suspects down very often.

#5. The author is familiar with Timothy (13:23), and even what was going on with Timothy coming out of prison. Another minor point as it doesn’t narrow the list of suspects greatly.

#6. The author seems to be familiar with Rome
This could be viewed either as the author writing from Italy (less likely), or the author was writing back to Italy speaking of others from Italy who were with him saluting them (more likely). In either case, the author has a familiarity with those he is talking to and likely has a knowledge of them. Another minor point.
These are points that I can agree with. But how could Barnabas be discounted? Or for that matter, Silas or Priscilla or Aquila or Apollos?

ApologeticJedi said:
Consider my suggestion on how one particular person fits all of the points minor and major. The person I believe has written the book of Hebrews is someone who was a second-hand convert. This person was a convert of Apostle Peter! (1 Peter 5:13) Tradition holds that Peter dictated to him the events of Jesus and that he wrote the first gospel based on Peter’s account. Tradition also holds that he gospel was immediately accepted as cannon based on Peter’s authority. This largely explains the continuity between the book of Hebrews and the Apostle Peter without making the association of Hebrews 2:3 and literary device. This person was born of a wealthy Jewish family (Acts 12:12). This person traveled with Paul for a short time, although he left Paul to return to the Jerusalem (Acts 13:13). While this angered Paul for a time, this person came back to Paul to be with him in the end while he was in prison at Rome (2 Tim 4:11). His close contact with Paul gave him close insight to Timothy’s life as well.

If you are trying to say that the writer was John Mark (I Peter 5.13) I think you are way off base. Mark is a fast paced style of writing bolting from one event to another almost without a breath while Hebrews is a well thought out treatise moving the reader through the Old Testament trying to prove the superiority of the New Covenant and trying to warn people against the dangers of falling back into judaism or the danger of being led into it by judaizers.

Although you did a nice job of putting a case for Mark on the table, you didn't take anyone elso off of it. As well, if you read Mark and Hebrews side by side... even in English, I think you will convince yourself that the same person didn't write both.

jeremiah

BANNED
Banned
Although you did a nice job of putting a case for Mark on the table, you didn't take anyone elso off of it. As well, if you read Mark and Hebrews side by side... even in English, I think you will convince yourself that the same person didn't write both.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, Chileice. He painted a nice profile of the writer of Hebrews, and then put up one of the weaker candidates, that matched the profile.
I think Apollos and Barnabas are the two strongest candidates; and my choice, "Silas" does not have much written or known about him?