Bible Study - the Book of Job

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Constellations

The Constellations

This post is an interlude of tidbits about the constellations in verse 9 of my previous post.
(A special thanks to Clete for providing help with this information.):e4e:

Scripture tells us:
The heavens declare the glory of God - Psalms 19:1
The theologian, E.W. Bullinger, wrote a book many years ago titled:
The Witness of the Stars.
In this book he describes the Hebrew names of the stars and constellations, and how these stars reveal the story of redemption from beginning to end.

Job 9
(9) Which maketh Arcturus, Orion, and Pleiades, and the chambers of the south.

Arcturus
= the bear
It is the constellation we know of as Ursa Major.

art2c_zps7a6bbe9f.jpg

Some of you may be familiar with the well know part of this constellation known as The Big Dipper (the tail and backside portion).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I read where Ursa Major can only be seen in the Northern hemisphere, and is not seen in the Southern.
Which may have something to do with the meaning in verse 9 of "chambers of the south" (chambers would be secret/hidden).

For those interested, here is the link to the chapter that contains Ursa Major (under the 3rd picture on the page) of Bullinger's book The Witness of the Stars.
http://www.levendwater.org/books/witness/chap33.htm

Orion and Pleiades

(Pleiades is a cluster in the neck of Taurus)

1573OrionTaurus_zpsdca77035.jpg

What is really interesting about these is what we learn later in chapter 38, which mentions these again.
Job 38 KJV
(31) Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion?
God asks Job if he was able to bind Pleiades, or lose the bands (belt) of Orion as He (God) has done.

We now know that it is a fact that the stars in the belt of Orion are not gravitationally bound together (ie.they are loosed) , while the stars in Pleiades are gravitationally bound!!!!!
It takes us puny humans a while to figure out some of the things God has already told us thousands of years ago.
;)

"Gravitationally bound" is like the moon is to the earth. When the earth moves around the sun, the moon moves with earth because the gravitational pull of the earth hold the moon with it.
In other words, wherever the earth moves to, the moon has to move with it.

It is the same with the stars in Pleiades. They are gravitationally bound together.
But the stars in Orion's belt are not.

For those interested, here is the link to the chapter that contains Taurus (with Pleiades) and Orion (under the 1st and 3rd pictures on the page) of Bullinger's book The Witness of the Stars.
http://www.levendwater.org/books/witness/chap31.htm

Taurus (which contains Pleiades) is a Zodiac constellation.
Ursa Major and Orion are not.

Zodiac constellations are those that the Sun passes through on its path across the sky over a year's time.

Here is a pic where you can see all three in relation to each other.
Ursa Major in the top left portion.
Orion and Taurus in the bottom center portion.

545245527_zps8d1c62c3.jpg

Jason0047

God said to Abraham,

"'Look now toward heaven, and count the stars if you are able to number them.' And He said to him, 'So shall your descendants be.'"(Gen 15:5).

And through the prophet Jeremiah,

"'As the host of heaven (stars) cannot be numbered, nor the sand of the sea measured, so will I multiply the descendants of David My servant'" (Jeremiah 33:22).

And finally, in the New Testament,

"Therefore from one man, ...were born as many as the stars of the sky in multitude-- innumerable as the sand which is by the seashore." (Hebrews 11:12)

Before the invention of the telescope in 1608, scientists throughout history, including the famous astronomer Ptolemy (150 AD), taught that the total number of stars in the heavens was under 3000. On a clear night the naked eye can only count about 1000 stars. However, because of telescopes such as the Hubble, we now know there are countless billions upon billions of stars in the universe - just as God had revealed to us several thousand years ago through the Bible.

However, the really mind blowing thing to ponder is that God has named each and every one of these billions of stars. Which is just absolutely amazing!

Psalm 147:4 KJ2 - "He determines the number of the stars; he calls them all by their names."

Isaiah 40:26 - "Lift up your eyes on high, and behold who hath created these things, that bringeth out their host by number: he calleth them all by names by the greatness of his might, for that he is strong in power; not one faileth."

Last edited:

Jason0047

However, speaking more specifically of Astronomy and the book of Job, though:

With the earth, the terminator occurs not on a cratered rocky surface, but primarily on water (since the earth’s surface is 70 percent water). Job 26:10 suggests a “God’s eye” view of the earth. This biblical passage would be nonsense if the earth were flat, since there would be no true terminator; there is no line to “step over” that separates the day from night on a flat surface. Either it is day everywhere or night everywhere on a hypothetical “flat earth.” However, the earth does indeed have a boundary between light and darkness which is always a circle since the earth is round or a sphere.

Job 26:10 HCSB -

"He laid out the horizon on the surface of the waters at the boundary between light and darkness."

Article Source:
http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/tba/universe-confirms-bible

Last edited:

exminister

Tambora said:
It gave me no comfort to have folks quote scripture to me (I already knew them), or even say that he is in a better place now (I already knew that). Who comforted me the most was my sister. She didn’t try to tell me to sit and calm down. She wrapped her arms around me while I was sobbing uncontrollably, and said, “Go ahead and cry all you want to, honey, I’m here for you and I’ll cry with you”
That's both touching and beautiful. She truly gave herself and let you be yourself, which is what humans need from each other. Thank you for sharing this.

oatmeal

Good point.

And I'm glad you posted the scripture Matthew 5:44-45.
I meant to put in parenthesis after my statement you quoted above, but forgot to.

I think it fits in well with our study.
The friends should have comforted Job simply because it is the right thing to do for one in such agony.
It shouldn't have mattered whether Job was an upright man or not.
The question of "WHY" he was in agony should not have been a factor at all.

And in fact, we will find out by the end of this book that God never gives the answer as to "WHY" Job had suffered.
If not for us being told what went on behind the scene, we would never know either.

Tambora,

Great work so far.

And in fact, we will find out by the end of this book that God never gives the answer as to "WHY" Job had suffered.
If not for us being told what went on behind the scene, we would never know either.

Please refer to my post 64

Job openly admits that it was his fear that brought the calamity upon him.

He was afraid that his sons and daughters were sinning. He did not bother to find out. Job 1:5

Instead, he let his fears fester, until his fears overcame his right believing, then God righteously had to let Satan attack, for Job at this point was letting fear, not his love and obedience to God, rule his life.

Therefore, God so often tells us,

Fear not

Fear not

Fear not.

Fear is the believers greatest enemy. Satan gives mankind many excuses to be fearful.

But God alleviates all our fears when we trust in Him, by trusting His word, the scriptures.

God's love to us is the solution to our fear problem, for it is by His love to us that we are more than conquerors.

It is not by his might, or power or light that we are more than conquerors, but by his love. Romans 8:37.

Of course, that love to us will involve his might, his power and his light, mercy, grace, etc. but it is His love that is the root of our victory over evil and sin and fear.

oatmeal

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Tambora,

Great work so far.

He was afraid that his sons and daughters were sinning. He did not bother to find out. Job 1:5

Instead, he let his fears fester, until his fears overcame his right believing, then God righteously had to let Satan attack, for Job at this point was letting fear, not his love and obedience to God, rule his life.
Hi, Oatmeal.
Thanks for the kind words.

Your views are welcome, for this is a STUDY, not a DEBATE.

And my view is that after Satan destroyed Job's children, servants, and livestock; God says it was all done without cause:

Job 2 KJV
(3) And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? and still he holdeth fast his integrity, although thou movedst me against him, to destroy him without cause.

But your views are welcome as well, for as I said "This is a STUDY, not a DEBATE".

God bless our studies.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Tambora,

Great work so far.

oatmeal

Job was not ignorant of his children and that is why he sacrificed for them.

The whole thing was because Job was the only righteous man left to stand in the way of satan having full control over everyone and everything.

Mat 4:8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;
Mat 4:9 And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.

1Co 4:9 For I think that God hath set forth us the apostles last, as it were appointed to death: for we are made a spectacle unto the world, and to angels, and to men.
1Co 4:10 We are fools for Christ's sake, but ye are wise in Christ; we are weak, but ye are strong; ye are honourable, but we are despised.
1Co 4:11 Even unto this present hour we both hunger, and thirst, and are naked, and are buffeted, and have no certain dwellingplace;
1Co 4:12 And labour, working with our own hands: being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we suffer it:
1Co 4:13 Being defamed, we intreat: we are made as the filth of the world, and are the offscouring of all things unto this day.
1Co 4:14 I write not these things to shame you, but as my beloved sons I warn you.
1Co 4:15 For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.
1Co 4:16 Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.

LA

Last edited:

oatmeal

Hi, Oatmeal.
Thanks for the kind words.

Your views are welcome, for this is a STUDY, not a DEBATE.

And my view is that after Satan destroyed Job's children, servants, and livestock; God says it was all done without cause:

Job 2 KJV
(3) And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? and still he holdeth fast his integrity, although thou movedst me against him, to destroy him without cause.

But your views are welcome as well, for as I said "This is a STUDY, not a DEBATE".

God bless our studies.

Well, then Tambora, you should continue to study.

Job 3:25 would be a great verse for you to study.

Since it clearly tells us why the calamities befell Job even though he was perfect and upright and eschewed evil.

When you study and understand the difference between believing the promises of God and fear, then your studies will include Job 3:25

Until then

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Chapter 9 continued

Chapter 9 continued

imagesqtbnANd9GcS0dMjlfQ3bP8m0DOONK_zps47c38999.jpg

Chapter 9 continued

Job continues proclaiming the wondrous awesomeness of God.
He already described how no power in the universe can compete with the power of God.

He now goes on to describe how the wisdom of God is so far above that of man that the sheer magnitude of God’s wisdom is incomprehensible. And while man is not always aware of what God is doing, God is always aware of what man is doing. And no one or no thing can stand in the way of God.

Job 9 KJV
(10) Which doeth great things past finding out; yea, and wonders without number.
(11) Lo, he goeth by me, and I see him not: he passeth on also, but I perceive him not.
(12) Behold, he taketh away, who can hinder him? who will say unto him, What doest thou?
(13) If God will not withdraw his anger, the proud helpers do stoop under him.
There is no way man can stand up to God.
The gap between them is too great.
It is hopeless to even try.
Even if one were the strongest, most righteous, and wisest man among all men on earth, he still cannot even begin to measure up to God.

There is a sorta comical saying that if you want to appear stronger, hang out with weaker folks.
And if you want to appear more high class, hang out with low class folks.
And if you want to appear smarter, hand out with dumb folks.

To put it bluntly; hanging out with God would only show how truly weak, despicable, and stupid man really is.

Job knows this, and admits it freely.

(14) How much less shall I answer him, and choose out my words to reason with him?
(15) Whom, though I were righteous, yet would I not answer, but I would make supplication to my judge.
(16) If I had called, and he had answered me; yet would I not believe that he had hearkened unto my voice.
(17) For he breaketh me with a tempest, and multiplieth my wounds without cause.
(18) He will not suffer me to take my breath, but filleth me with bitterness.
(19) If I speak of strength, lo, he is strong: and if of judgment, who shall set me a time to plead?
(20) If I justify myself, mine own mouth shall condemn me: if I say, I am perfect, it shall also prove me perverse.
(21) Though I were perfect, yet would I not know my soul: I would despise my life.

Man is so insignificant and inadequate compared to God, it’s a wonder that God pays any attention to man at all.
God can, and does at times, destroy both the righteous or the wicked at His discretion.
God can also, and does also at times, bless both the righteous or the wicked at His discretion.
No one can argue against God that He does not have the right to do so.

(22) This is one thing, therefore I said it, He destroyeth the perfect and the wicked.
(23) If the scourge slay suddenly, he will laugh at the trial of the innocent.
(24) The earth is given into the hand of the wicked: he covereth the faces of the judges thereof; if not, where, and who is he?
Time and again we have examples of God’s immediate wrath or mercy upon man.
Man cannot fully comprehend why God chooses to give mercy to some while not showing mercy to others at any given time.
Such as when David ate the temple shewbread. It was against the law, but God showed no wrath at all at that time.
But on another occasion a man named Uzzah reached out to steady the ark from falling off a cart, and ZAP, God struck him dead immediately (2 Samuel 6:6-7).

I suspect (and this is just my opinion) that God works in this way so that man will not become too complacent.
We can know that God does show mercy, but at the same time we should never become so complacent of His mercy that we stop fearing the Lord at all.

Job now starts to ponder on things that Solomon will later echo in Proverbs --- that all that man does is vanity.
No matter how strong one might be, it will never be strong enough.
No matter how righteous one might be, it will never be righteous enough.
No matter how wise one might be, it will never be wise enough.

(25) Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away, they see no good.
(26) They are passed away as the swift ships: as the eagle that hasteth to the prey.
(27) If I say, I will forget my complaint, I will leave off my heaviness, and comfort myself:
(28) I am afraid of all my sorrows, I know that thou wilt not hold me innocent.
(29) If I be wicked, why then labour I in vain?
(30) If I wash myself with snow water, and make my hands never so clean;
(31) Yet shalt thou plunge me in the ditch, and mine own clothes shall abhor me.

And the age old question follows, why does man even try to be good, when they can never be good enough before God?

And now Job says a remarkable thing.
Does he even realize how prophetic his words are at this time?

(32) For he is not a man, as I am, that I should answer him, and we should come together in judgment.
(33) Neither is there any daysman betwixt us, that might lay his hand upon us both.
(34) Let him take his rod away from me, and let not his fear terrify me:
(35) Then would I speak, and not fear him; but it is not so with me.
If only there was a daysman betwixt us (a mediator) between man and God!
Someone to bridge the gap between man and God.
Then I could stand before God and not feel so utterly helpless.

That which Job felt was necessary for man to be able to stand before God would someday come to pass.
When God Himself would become man (Jesus Christ) to be the mediator that would bridge the gap between man and God.

imagesqtbnANd9GcRtsPo1X2EFhxtls44PV.jpg

False Prophet

Job was upright and blameless before God. He wondered how he could walk with God like he did, and lose all that he had except his life.
Job 9[15] Though I am innocent, I cannot answer him;
I must appeal for mercy to my accuser.
[16] If I summoned him and he answered me,
I would not believe that he was listening to my voice.
[17] For he crushes me with a tempest,
and multiplies my wounds without cause;
Job felt like God had passed him by and left him. None of us has walked with God like Job had. We cry and moan over such trivial things. I remember in Haiti when we spoke that the Haitian people have problems, we Americans have situations. Job despaired of death, and wished he could die; since it was pointless to live without God, and go back to a life of sin without God.
Job 911] Lo, he passes by me, and I see him not;
he moves on, but I do not perceive him.
[12] Behold, he snatches away; who can hinder him?
Who will say to him, `What doest thou'?
Job could not find anything wrong with his walk with God. He felt like he was doing his best, before calamity befell him. We cannot even come close to making these claims, if we are honest with ourselves.
Job 9[20] Though I am innocent, my own mouth would condemn me;
though I am blameless, he would prove me perverse.
[21] I am blameless; I regard not myself;
I loathe my life.
[22] It is all one; therefore I say,
he destroys both the blameless and the wicked.
Job's walk with God was so close to righteous living that Job did not know what he had done wrong to deserve his present calamity.
Job 10 Job.10
[1] "I loathe my life;
I will give free utterance to my complaint;
I will speak in the bitterness of my soul.
[2] I will say to God, Do not condemn me;
let me know why thou dost contend against me.

False Prophet

Job walked so close to God he could not see where he had gone wrong.
Job 10[7] although thou knowest that I am not guilty,
[14] If I sin, thou dost mark me,
and dost not acquit me of my iniquity.
[15] If I am wicked, woe to me!
If I am righteous, I cannot lift up my head,
for I am filled with disgrace
and look upon my affliction.
Job's friends did not console him for his calamities, and that is why their remarks were evil in the sight of the LORD.
Job.11
[1] Then Zophar the Na'amathite answered:
[from verse 6] Know then that God exacts of you less than your guilt deserves.

With friends like this who needs enemies? I would have told those so called friends to get out of my house! But Job bore with them with the patience that I don't see in any man.

Jason0047

He now goes on to describe how the wisdom of God is so far above that of man that the sheer magnitude of God’s wisdom is incomprehensible. And while man is not always aware of what God is doing, God is always aware of what man is doing. And no one or no thing can stand in the way of God.

Dear T:

That is so awesome that you brought up God's wisdom and knowledge, because it totally is reminiscent of Job chapter 14. For Job said of man...

"His days are determined, the number of his months are with thee (God), thou halt appointed his bounds that he cannot pass." (Job 14:5). Again, Job said to the Lord Almighty, "Thou numberest my steps." (Job 14:16) Then, in the New Testament, Jesus said to His disciples, "The very hairs of your head are all numbered." (Matthew 10:30).

Thus God has numbered the stars and named them. He has numbered men's days, their months and their steps, and even the hairs of their heads. In the face of such evidence how can some accept the Bible and yet question the knowledge of God?

I say this not in frustration, but in astonishment and slight sadness. I say this with the hope and love that some of them might see that fact when they are in prayerful study of the Scriptures.

For God is Almighty in power and there is nothing that He does not know. In fact, personally for me, no matter how much knowledge I may gain in my life, when I ponder the depths of God's perfect knowledge, it really makes me realize just how little I know and how awesome God truly is.

And now Job says a remarkable thing.
Does he even realize how prophetic his words are at this time? If only there was a daysman betwixt us (a mediator) between man and God! Someone to bridge the gap between man and God.
Then I could stand before God and not feel so utterly helpless.

Oh and yes. I find this passage about the daysman (i.e. the mediator) to be absolutely beautiful. In fact, both Redemption and Judgment from Christ can be found within Job chapter 9.

Job 9:5 - "Which removeth the mountains, and they know not: which overturneth them in his anger."

For Christ will return in the same way in which he had left. In other words, Christ had ascended from off the Mount of Olives up into Heaven and He will also return from Heaven and land back on the Mount of Olives (Acts 1:11-12). For...

The Lord Lands on the Mount of Olives & Destroys Those Who Have Captured The Area:
(And the Mountain Splits Apart Creating A Valley):

Zechariah 14:4-5 NLT

On that day his feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, east of Jerusalem. And the Mount of Olives will split apart, making a wide valley running from east to west. Half the mountain will move toward the north and half toward the south.

You will flee through this valley, for it will reach across to Azal. Yes, you will flee as you did from the earthquake in the days of King Uzziah of Judah.
Isaiah 42:13a ESV, Isaiah 42:13b NAS, Isaiah 42:14a ESVhttp://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah 42:14&version=ESV, Isaiah 42:14b,
.. Isaiah 42:15a NLT, Isaiah 42:15b NIV, Isaiah 42:15c NAS

The LORD goes out like a mighty man, like a man of war he stirs up his zeal; He will utter a shout, yes, He will raise a war cry. He will prevail against His enemies. For a long time I have held my peace; I have kept still and restrained myself; now I will cry out like a woman in labor; I will destroy and devour at once.

I will level the mountains and hills... and dry up all their vegetation; I will turn rivers into islands... and dry up the ponds.
Micah 1:3-4 NIV

Look! The Lord is coming from his dwelling place; he comes down and treads the high places of the earth. The mountains melt beneath him and the valleys split apart, like wax before the fire, like water rushing down a slope.

Anyways, I hope you find what I wrote here insightful in some way.

Please be well and may the Lord our God bless you greatly today.

With loving kindness to you in Christ:

Sincerely,

~Jason.

Last edited:

False Prophet

We are in the dark without Christ. He has saved us out of darkness into his glorious light so that the light of the gospel might shine unto us.
Job 12[22]He uncovereth deep things out of darkness, And bringeth out to light the shadow of death.
Not so with the unrighteous who are led captive in darkness.
23He increaseth the nations, and he destroyeth them: He enlargeth the nations, and he leadeth them captive.
Because they reject the knowledge of the truth so as to be saved, God sends a deluding influence upon them so that they will believe a lie.
24He taketh away understanding from the chiefs of the people of the earth, And causeth them to wander in a wilderness where there is no way.
They wander about in the darkness along the broad road to destruction.
25They grope in the dark without light; And he maketh them to stagger like a drunken man.
They get drunk from the false teaching of the harlot church.
2 Cor 4[2]by the manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God. 3And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled in them that perish: 4in whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of the unbelieving, that the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should not dawn upon them .

False Prophet

I was thinking of those who are at ease in Zion.
Job 12[5]In the thought of him that is at ease there is contempt for misfortune; It is ready for them whose foot slippeth.
Pride and a haughty spirit come before a fall. There is a slip under every skirt. I have seen a wave of kids come in, and say that they've got after nine months. They are in jail or the cemetery by now.
Jer 12[1]Righteous art thou, O Jehovah, when I contend with thee; yet would I reason the cause with thee: wherefore doth the way of the wicked prosper? wherefore are all they at ease that deal very treacherously?
The wicked may think that they are prospering, but God is not mocked. The righteous judgment of God is the standard of measure that you deal out to others will be measured back to you.
Amos 6[1]Woe to them that are at ease in Zion, and to them that are secure in the mountain of Samaria, the notable men of the chief of the nations, to whom the house of Israel come!

False Prophet

Job accused his friends of lying.
Job 13[4]But ye are forgers of lies; Ye are all physicians of no value.
There advice was worthless, and they might as well keep their mouths shut. Where was their experience, strength, and hope? If they were wise men, then it would be better for everybody there if they didn't say anything.
Job 13[5]Oh that ye would altogether hold your peace! And it would be your wisdom.

False Prophet

Job believed in the resurrection of the dead. Here is the first verses of scripture regarding it, which was probably during the second millenium BC.
Job 14[13] Oh that thou wouldest hide me in Sheol, That thou wouldest keep me secret, until thy wrath be past, That thou wouldest appoint me a set time, and remember me!

14If a man die, shall he live again ? All the days of my warfare would I wait, Till my release should come.

15Thou wouldest call, and I would answer thee: Thou wouldest have a desire to the work of thy hands.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Chapter 10 part 1

Chapter 10 part 1

Job 10 KJV
(1) My soul is weary of my life; I will leave my complaint upon myself; I will speak in the bitterness of my soul.
(2) I will say unto God, Do not condemn me; shew me wherefore thou contendest with me.
(3) Is it good unto thee that thou shouldest oppress, that thou shouldest despise the work of thine hands, and shine upon the counsel of the wicked?

Job asks “Please tell my why, Lord. I don’t understand why this is happening to me”.

It’s a legitimate question to be asking.
We’ve all been there.
Many great men of faith asked “why?”, such as David and Jeremiah.
There’s nothing wicked about wanting to know “why?”.

But even when Job questions, he does not stop praising God through his tribulation.
Nor does he reject that God has the right to let Job go through tribulation.

Do what you want to me in this life, Lord; just show your mercy and don’t condemn me and forget about me when I pass from this life.

• Psalms 63 KJV
    (3) Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee.

Job knows that the Lord does chastise those that do wickedly.

• Hebrews 12 KJV
    (10) For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.
    (11) Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.
    (12) Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees;
    (13) And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed.
    (14) Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:
    (15) Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;

If I am being punished for doing something wicked, tell what it was; for I know of no wickedness I have done.

You know all things, Lord. You know I am not a wicked man.
So for what purpose has this affliction fallen upon me?

(4) Hast thou eyes of flesh? or seest thou as man seeth?
(5) Are thy days as the days of man? are thy years as man's days,

There are a couple of Hebrew words that are translated “man”.
The most common is “adam”, which refers to mankind in general.

enosh refers to the inferior state of man, as a frail, mortal man.
It is from the root word anash (weak, frail, sickly).

God is not frail and limited as man is. God’s ways are not man’s ways.

• Isaiah 55 KJV
    (8) For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.

(6) That thou enquirest after mine iniquity, and searchest after my sin?
(7) Thou knowest that I am not wicked; and there is none that can deliver out of thine hand.

Reminiscent of the words of Christ:

• John 10 KJV
    (27) My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
    (28) And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

False Prophet

Job 15[1]Then answered Eliphaz the Temanite, and said,
Now things start getting ugly. Job's friends start telling him how evil he is, and that he gets what he deserves. They tell him that he is the one who needs to bridle his tongue. They tell Job that he does not fear God!
Job 15[4]Yea, thou doest away with fear, And hinderest devotion before God.
The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. We can't have devotion to God without it, but Job's friends are accusing Job of ridding himself of the fear of God.
Job 15[5]For thine iniquity teacheth thy mouth, And thou choosest the tongue of the crafty.
6Thine own mouth condemneth thee, and not I; Yea, thine own lips testify against thee.
These men condemned Job, now they are projecting their own feelings upon Job and accusing him of condemning himself.
Job 15[16]How much less one that is abominable and corrupt, A man that drinketh iniquity like water!
Job has bridled his tongue quite well. How many of us would just lie there and listen to words such as these {abominable and corrupt is Job!}.
Job 15[13]That against God thou turnest thy spirit, And lettest words go out of thy mouth?
Job is accused of being stubborn and stiffnecked in rebellion against God by speaking to God as he did. Job was upright and blameless before God. Job was not lying to God in rebellion. Job was inquiring why did God find fault with him, although it was Satan that found fault with Job, and not God.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Chapter 10 part 2

Chapter 10 part 2

job2_zpsa8b5f9cf.jpg

(8) Thine hands have made me and fashioned me together round about; yet thou dost destroy me.
(9) Remember, I beseech thee, that thou hast made me as the clay; and wilt thou bring me into dust again?
Reminiscent of:

• Isaiah 64 KJV
    (8) But now, O LORD, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand.
    (9) Be not wroth very sore, O LORD, neither remember iniquity for ever: behold, see, we beseech thee, we are all thy people.

Job realizes that God can use anyone at any time for honor at times and dishonor at times.
There has hardly been a faithful man of God that did not suffer at times in his life, as well as being blessed at times in his life.
God can use the same lump (same man) for both.

• Romans 9 KJV
    (19) Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?
    (20) Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
    (21) Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

Job knows he owes his existence to God, his maker.
He belongs to God, as does everything.

He asks the same question similar to that Israel did in the wilderness.
Did you create a special people and call out your special people out of Egypt only to let us die in the wilderness?

Since we already know the end of the story, we know that even though Job is going through a great tribulation, God’s plan is to restore Job with even greater glory.
He who stands firm till the end will be saved. And Job stands firm till the end.

Likewise, Christ (who was also called out of Egypt) went through tribulation, even to the point of death. But was restored to greater glory.

(10) Hast thou not poured me out as milk, and curdled me like cheese?

Without going into too much detail, many scholars believe this refers to conception and gestation.
Milk being sperma that forms into a solid mass.
The word “curdled” mean congealed (think Jello hardening into solid from liquid).

Interestingly enough, the parting of the water at the Red Sea is the only other place that uses this word.

• Exodus 15 KJV
    (8) And with the blast of thy nostrils the waters were gathered together, the floods stood upright as an heap, and the depths were congealed in the heart of the sea.

It has been suggested that when the water parted and stood walled on either side, that it actually hardened (perhaps to ice).

(11) Thou hast clothed me with skin and flesh, and hast fenced me with bones and sinews.
(12) Thou hast granted me life and favour (grace), and thy visitation hath preserved my spirit.
Reminiscent of Israel in the valley of dry bones:

• Ezekiel 37 KJV
    (6) And I will lay sinews upon you, and will bring up flesh upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and ye shall live; and ye shall know that I am the LORD.

False Prophet

Job gives us our present belief of dying and going to heaven.
Job 19[26]And after my skin, even this body , is destroyed, Then without my flesh shall I see God;
Paul was betwixt between the two: whether to depart and be with Christ; or remain in the flesh with the Philipians.