ARGH!!! Calvinism makes me furious!!!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Re: Thanks for your 'righteous indignation' Knight!

Re: Thanks for your 'righteous indignation' Knight!

Originally posted by Ya'nar#1
Sin brings pain and death. Not God.
Isn't that one of the major themes of the Bible?

P.S. Great post!

smaller

BANNED
Banned
Beanieboy ET AL

Here is what Jesus said about SATAN:

John 8:44
Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Mr. Knight thinks that because satan was PERFECT in all his ways that satan was PERFECT, but he overlooks that SATAN was a PERFECT DEVIL eh???

Satan was even closer to God then, but God finally got FED UP with the STINK and cast him down to EARTH....guess WHICH EARTH he landed IN???

smaller

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by smaller

Beanieboy ET AL

Here is what Jesus said about SATAN:

John 8:44
Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Mr. Knight thinks that because satan was PERFECT in all his ways that satan was PERFECT, but he overlooks that SATAN was a PERFECT DEVIL eh???

Satan was even closer to God then, but God finally got FED UP with the STINK and cast him down to EARTH....guess WHICH EARTH he landed IN???

smaller
Uh... so you don't think Satan fell?

Would you like me to prove you wrong?

smaller

BANNED
Banned
It is only how YOU read it Knight. When you start from a suppositional position all that is reflected is YOUR OWN HEART...

get it?

You say to yourself SATAN WAS PERFECT except for the INIQUITY that was FOUND IN HIM which you conveniently OVERlook.

You think SATAN created HIMSELF??? and FELL completely of his OWN accord...

All I can say is HE MUST HAVE HAD A POOR MANUFACTURER

or

Your premise is FLAWED severely...(a much more likely case)

So when you say WATCH MY PROOF all I will see is YOUR REFLECTION of THE WORDs and I do not call REFLECTIONS as REAL "proof." They disappear by stirring the WATERs...

enjoy!

smaller

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Magic babysitter ...

Magic babysitter ...

Hi Knight,

Something's weird about the way you quoted me in your last post. Each of the paragraphs say "Knight writes" but then is followed by my words. Could you kindly edit your for post? I'd hate for lurkers to get confused.

Knight writes:
God isn't the magic babysitter in the sky.
If you could have stopped the tragedy of 9/11, would you? Would that make you a "babysitter"? If you could have stopped the Byrd murder, would you have? If you could have stopped Hitler and McVeigh, would you have? Is that being a babysitter?

God could have done any number of things, without overriding man's "free will," to stop these widescale atrocities. But He didn't. Why?

Knight wrote:
Can you believe a person could think such wicked things about God???
Again I say: Indeed.

Jim

Rolf Ernst

Response to Knight, post #38 and Clete, post #43

Knight, your use of Prov. 1:24, Jn. 5:40 and Acts 7:51 do not in anyway point out an error in Reformed theology. To the contrary, they are proofs of the Reformed view of man's total depravity.

All three of the texts you mention are rebukes of unbelievers. As a consequence of man's fall in Adam, all men are incapable, apart from God's effectual grace, of doing that which is proper in response to God's counsels, though they are very clear and plainly spoken.

Therefore we see many instances wherein men distain God's counsel, are unwilling to come to Christ; will NOT come to Christ, and are ALWAYS stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears.

God has a right to rebuke them for their impenitence. The fact that God had not to that point been pleased to regenerate them does not excuse them. The fact that they, in themselves, could not do what God counseled them to do does not in anyway relieve them of accountabilty to respond positively to God's directives.

Since men share a REAL guilt and legal accountability for EVERY inability which came upon them through their identification with Adam in his rebellion, we are--all of us-- therefore accountable to God for EVERY lack of conformity to the will of God.

Since we are legally accountable for every lack of conformity, it is God's rightful place as governor over His creation to press His just laws upon man's conscience and rebuke failures to conform.

Until He is pleased to regenerate rebels, they can do nothing BUT
rebel against His counsel, but their violation of His expressed will does not in anyway mean that they are successfully frustrating God's secret counsel concerning them. If He has not been pleased to regenerate them, they are in the circumstance of being left in their sin--with a positive inclination to rebellion and worthy of rebuke.

Clete, the same truth applies to your post #43.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Re: Magic babysitter ...

Re: Magic babysitter ...

Originally posted by Hilston

Hi Knight,

Something's weird about the way you quoted me in your last post. Each of the paragraphs say "Knight writes" but then is followed by my words. Could you kindly edit your for post? I'd hate for lurkers to get confused.
Fixed it!

That happens because when you quote me you first state... "Knight writes" and then when I quote you in return it includes the phrase "Knight Writes" but not my actual quote because my actual quote was in the quote code. Kinda strange. I will be more careful next time.

If you could have stopped the tragedy of 9/11, would you? Would that make you a "babysitter"?
I am not God. I do not have authority or power over the wills of men.

God COULD have created a reality where it was impossible for anyone to do anything bad. But to do so would have required God removing our freedom and God didn't want to imprison His creation. God deemed that freedom was a necessary risk to allow us the REAL choice to choose Him or reject Him.

God could have done any number of things, without overriding man's "free will,"
What could have God done to prevent these things without altering mans freewill?

Rolf Ernst

Greywolf--your post #87: God performs His will by the power of His word, so it is out of His mouth that good and evil proceed. Your post is therefore a good and valid response to Knight's position in starting this thread. Bravo!

smaller

BANNED
Banned
God COULD have created a reality where it was impossible for anyone to do anything bad. But to do so would have required God removing our freedom

So INSTEAD God BINDS all people to DISOBEDIENCE, then plants them in WEAKNESS, HUMILITY, CORRUPTION, DECAY, and eventually DEATH, and gives them all a FREEWILL that is ONLY CAPABLE OF PRODUCING SIN????

Then Knight comes along and calls this FREEDOM???
and God didn't want to imprison His creation.

What a joker you are...really. Your supposed "freewill" cannot see past the end of it's own NOSE...>
God deemed that freedom was a necessary risk to allow us the REAL choice to choose Him or reject Him.

This is only what BLINDED BOUND AND GAGED FREEDOM thinks it sees. Said "freedom" is obviously incapable of SEEING REALITY...

smaller

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Wicked

Wicked

Knight writes:
I am not God. I do not have authority or power over the wills of men.
That's not required to stop a terrorist. If you could have stopped them, wouldn't you have done it? Use your imagination. Let's say you overheard them talking at Taco Bell and you called the authorities. Let's say one of them defected at the last minute and he told you about it. Would you have done everything you could to stop them?

Knight writes:
What could have God done to prevent these things without altering mans freewill?
He could have withdrawn His hand from holding the atoms in the landing gear together on one of the planes and stopped the flight from ever leaving the ground. He could have withdrawn His hand from holding the brain cells together in the hijackers cranium and caused the plane to crash into the ocean, killing only a fraction of the number of people who died on 9/11. He could have brought a microburst along at the right moment and caused the plane to plunge into the bay, saving thousands of lives. None of these override anyone's freewill.

Again, God could have done any number of things to stop these things from happening. Why didn't He?

And again, I quote Knight:
Can you believe a person could think such wicked things about God???
Indeed.

Have you ever chosen an option you did not want to choose?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

That's not required to stop a terrorist.
In the context of our discussion it is.

You continue...
If you could have stopped them, wouldn't you have done it? Use your imagination. Let's say you overheard them talking at Taco Bell and you called the authorities. Let's say one of them defected at the last minute and he told you about it. Would you have done everything you could to stop them?
Answer = Yes.

You continue...
He could have withdrawn His hand from holding the atoms in the landing gear together on one of the planes and stopped the flight from ever leaving the ground. He could have withdrawn His hand from holding the brain cells together in the hijackers cranium and caused the plane to crash into the ocean, killing only a fraction of the number of people who died on 9/11. He could have brought a microburst along at the right moment and caused the plane to plunge into the bay, saving thousands of lives. None of these override anyone's freewill.
Yea... I suppose that is true. He could have done something supernatural to stop these evil actions. But that has not been God's MO. God has occasionally intervened to thwart evil but only in certain circumstances.

Again, God could have done any number of things to stop these things from happening. Why didn't He?
As I have stated before... God isn't our cosmic babysitter. God allows us to freely follow His will or reject His will.

He wants us to choose Him without making the choice for us (coerced).

This decision of Gods has the consequence that men may choose evil.

You continue....
Have you ever chosen an option you did not want to choose?
As I have answered you dozens of times on this question OF COURSE! Of course I have chose an option I didn't want to choose. Who hasn't?

I am not going down this road again with you Jim, your MATRIX logic is frankly too weird for me to waste my time on again. I will however be glad to continue the other part of the discussion.

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Nicer than God?

Nicer than God?

Jim asked: Would you have done everything you could to stop them?

Knight replies:
Answer = Yes.
Knight, what would you think of someone who had a chance to do something very simple to thwart the attacks, and knowing fully was about to transpire, nonetheless did not do what he could to stop it?

Jim wrote: He could have brought a microburst along at the right moment and caused the plane to plunge into the bay, saving thousands of lives. None of these override anyone's freewill.

Knight writes:
Yea... I suppose that is true. He could have done something supernatural to stop these evil actions.
This is different. This is not intervention. God holds everything together; every atom in the universe is supernaturally sustained by His omnipresent power. I'm merely suggesting that He relax His grip on the atomic structure of some part of the plane. Surely God could do this without a full-blown supernatural intervention. It would just be a very natural increase of entropy in one small part of the universe. E.g. the landing gear could simply fracture, set off a sensor in the cockpit, and bam -- no flight. One less missile to hit the WTC and hundreds of lives are saved.

Knight writes:
But that has not been God's MO. God has occasionally intervened to thwart evil but only in certain circumstances.
If God truly wants everyone to have ample opportunity to get saved, why would He sit by and watch thousands of people die, many of whom were probably unsaved, and would have had a chance to believe in Christ?

Jim wrote: Again, God could have done any number of things to stop these things from happening. Why didn't He?

Knight writes:
As I have stated before... God isn't our cosmic babysitter. God allows us to freely follow His will or reject His will.
OK, He's not a babysitter. You're not answering the question. I'm not suggesting that God should act like a babysitter. How about just being aware of what's going on and caring enough for those human beings to stop a terrible tragedy, just as you yourself would have done if you had a chance. God had a chance and myriad simple options at His disposal by which to thwart the attacks. Why didn't He do it? You would have. Are you nicer than God?

Knight writes:
This decision of Gods has the consequence that men may choose evil.
Is He helpless to mitigate it? Or is He just unwilling?

Jim asked: Have you ever chosen an option you did not want to choose?

Knight writes:
As I have answered you dozens of times on this question OF COURSE! Of course I have chose an option I didn't want to choose. Who hasn't?
I haven't. I've never chosen an option I did not want to choose. I can't think of a single one. Do you have an example of one? Anyone? It doesn't have to be Knight. Anyone can answer.

What "Matrix" logic are you referring to?

Jim

Rolf Ernst

Knight--In post #93 you say that God has "occassionally intervened to stop evil but only in some circumstances"

Why not define those circumstances, Knight? If you really believe the whole Bible, then act on that belief. Stand upon what it says; because the Bible DOES define the circumstances in which He intervenes--"Even the wrath of man shall praise you, and the remainder of wrath you will restrain."

That is, He restrains the evil which men would of themselves do WHEN He has not purposed good from it it in accord with His holy and just ways.

For some reason, OVers and Arminians just cannot grasp the fact that in that which men do with evil intent, God's motivation in the same event can be for good.

Motivation is the key word--motivation, and final outcome of an action.
Many times, when men intend nothing but evil, the final outcome of their action is altogether different from what they intended.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Circular reasoning?

Circular reasoning?

I haven't. I've never chosen an option I did not want to choose. I can't think of a single one. Do you have an example of one? Anyone? It doesn't have to be Knight. Anyone can answer.
I strongly suspect that your assertion that one cannot choose an option that one does not want to choose is unfalsifiable, because you would define "what one truly wants to choose" as "what one ultimately chooses."

For instance:

• He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, "O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will." Matthew 26:39

And He was withdrawn from them about a stone's throw, and He knelt down and prayed, saying, "Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away from Me; nevertheless not My will, but Yours, be done." Luke 22:41-42

I could take Jesus at his word and recognize that Jesus wanted to not have to suffer and be killed, but nevertheless submitted to the Father's will, putting aside his own will ("not my will").

But then I would bet that you would say that Jesus wanted to submit to the Father more than he wanted to avoid his torturous execution. How do you know? The very fact that Jesus chose to submit to the Father is the proof. Right?

Last edited:

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Falsifiability ...

Falsifiability ...

Hi Turbo

Knight writes: ...
No, actually, Jim wrote ...

I strongly suspect that your assertion that one cannot choose an option that one does not want to choose is unfalsifiable, because you would define "what one truly wants to choose" as "what one ultimately chooses."
It's falsifiable if you can show me an occasion where you chose an option that you did not want to choose.

<Snip quotes Mt 26:39 Lu 22:41-42>

But then I would bet that you would say that Jesus wanted to submit to the Father more than he wanted to avoid his torturous execution. How do you know? The very fact that Jesus chose to submit to the Father is the proof. Right?
No, I know because the Bible says so:

John 12:27 "Now My soul has become troubled; and what shall I say, 'Father, save Me from this hour'? But for this purpose I came to this hour."

Don't be deceived by traditional theology or the English translations. The Greek is emphatic. Jesus rhetorically asks if He should ask the Father to save him out of this hour. The answer is no. So that is not what Jesus is asking the Father in the Garden. He was asking the Father to save Him from permanent death -- i.e. the dregs of the cup, not the cup itself. Jesus prayed that the cup be removed, and His prayer was heard (Heb 5:7). In Matthew 26:42, the Greek says "Since this cup may not pass from me unless I drink it, thy will be done." That is, the cup passes after He drinks it. It is a prayer to be saved from the grave, that His body would not be left to decay in the tomb, and the Father answered: Yes.

What a glorious truth!

Jim

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Re: Nicer than God?

Re: Nicer than God?

Knight, what would you think of someone who had a chance to do something very simple to thwart the attacks, and knowing fully was about to transpire, nonetheless did not do what he could to stop it?
Again comparing man to God in this instance is not a fair analogy.

If God were to stop every bad or evil action it would defeat God's own desires for us.... for two (at least two) reasons.

1. God would have to intervene in our lives on almost a constant basis. From stopping murderers to stopping adulterers to stopping shoplifters and neighborhood bullies. Our lives would be radically different and we would have little respect for the big bully in the sky who was constantly grabbing us before we fell off our bike.

2. God realizes that His miraculous intervention more often than not turns men away from Him which thwarts His will that we choose Him. I am sure you are very aware that while some chose God after His miraculous interventions and miracles many more rejected Him for these miracles. It seems the more God showed His hand the more men turned away.

Matthew 12:39 But He answered and said to them, “An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.

Therefore God wanting men to choose Him walks a thin line of giving man enough evidence to choose Him yet not being so overbearing that men rebel against Him.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Re: Circular reasoning?

Re: Circular reasoning?

Originally posted by Turbo

Bee... eye... en... gee... oh.

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Surreptitious answer to prayer ...

Surreptitious answer to prayer ...

Again comparing man to God in this instance is not a fair analogy.
I totally concede that point. I just want to know what you would think of a person who could have stopped the tragedy but didn't.

1. God would have to intervene in our lives on almost a constant basis. From stopping murderers to stopping adulterers to stopping shoplifters and neighborhood bullies. Our lives would be radically different and we would have little respect for the big bully in the sky who was constantly grabbing us before we fell off our bike.
Of course. I'm not talking about every mundane instance, just the heinous ones where evil men take the lives of innocent others. Why doesn't God just stop those? He could do it, right? Why doesn't He, especially the murders of unsaved people who will now have no chance at salvation?

2. God realizes that His miraculous intervention more often than not turns men away from Him which thwarts His will that we choose Him.
I'm not asking for miraculous (see below), so this point is moot.

Therefore God wanting men to choose Him walks a thin line of giving man enough evidence to choose Him yet not being so overbearing that men rebel against Him.
That's why I suggested surreptitious action. Something undetectable by humans. Surely God is creative enough to come up with ways to save children from being brutally raped, tortured and murdered without making it an obvious miraculous intervention. Like this: Say the homicidal pedophile has done this before, and now God has learned what this guy is capable of. So let's say a mother has prayed that God would protect her child (so we have the prayer request made). Now the the man sets his sights to abduct that woman's child. In answer to prayer, God relaxes His hold on the atomic structure of gastrointenstinal organs of the pedophile, causing severe abdominal pain, requiring him to find a restroom. The child is safe, the pedophile is sufficiently distracted. That just one quick example. This would be so easy for God to do, and no one would be the wiser.

On the Open View, wouldn't you expect God to be a healthy and compassionate God and do whatever He could to (secretly) stop this, and not a sick voyeuristic God who would idly stand by while such an evil act occurred?