No announcement yet.

ARGH!!! Calvinism makes me furious!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Re: Re: AHHHHH calvinism makes me furious!!!

Originally posted by Nineveh

Why?

Why would God want to have Jesus (through whom all things were made) experience such a horrible painful death? What was the point?
    To display His glory and love. The act was done to self-exalt Himself. As a bonus, we who are chosen are saved. But that is done to glorify Himself as well.

Eph 1:5, 9
    ...having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will ... having made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His good pleasure which He purposed in Himself...

Php 2:13
    ...for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

Heb 2:10
    For it was fitting for Him, for whom are all things and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons to glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

Romans 11:36
    For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things, to whom be glory forever. Amen.
    Question what you believe in, and then you'll know.

Comment

Zman, just curious, do you consider yourself a Calvinist?
      “Prevent SIDS---keep your pants on.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine

Zman, just curious, do you consider yourself a Calvinist?
        In the words of Jonathan Edwards, who said in the Preface to his great book on THE FREEDOM OF THE WILL:

"I should not take it at all amiss, to be called a Calvinist, for distinction's sake: though I utterly disclaim a dependence on Calvin, or believing the doctrines which I hold, because he believed and taught them; and cannot justly be charged with believing in every thing just as he taught."

By the way, I find your signature very amusing!

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: AHHHHH calvinism makes me furious!!!

Why?

Why would God want to have Jesus (through whom all things were made) experience such a horrible painful death? What was the point? Everything was going fine until Eve dropped the ball.
          The point of Jesus's death? To be a sacrifice for the elect.

Comment

Originally posted by Z Man

In the words of Jonathan Edwards, who said in the Preface to his great book on THE FREEDOM OF THE WILL:

"I should not take it at all amiss, to be called a Calvinist, for distinction's sake: though I utterly disclaim a dependence on Calvin, or believing the doctrines which I hold, because he believed and taught them; and cannot justly be charged with believing in every thing just as he taught."
            So, does this mean you're a full 5-pointer?

By the way, I find your signature very amusing!
            Thanks. He really said that, too.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: AHHHHH calvinism makes me furious!!!

Not only was His death a sacrifice, but it also saved! But here's a question: Why did He die for the elect? Why save anyone?

Answer: To display His glory. All things exist and are done for this exact purpose. It's the reason we exist and the reason all things happen; to glorify God.

Comment

So, does this mean you're a full 5-pointer?
                Yes.
                Thanks. He really said that, too.
                That doesn't surprise me. And that's why it is funny...

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: AHHHHH calvinism makes me furious!!!

Not only was His death a sacrifice, but it also saved! But here's a question: Why did He die for the elect? Why save anyone?

Answer: To display His glory. All things exist and are done for this exact purpose. It's the reason we exist and the reason all things happen; to glorify God.
                  Z Man- You answer so much better than I.

Comment

Yes.
                    So, am I. Hopefully, I can learn some from reading your posts.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: AHHHHH calvinism makes me furious!!!

Would there need to be an "elect" if Eve hadn't invited sin and death into the world?
                      Help for

"...the Reformation broke with Rome but not Greece..." - Bob Enyart

Comment

What's the difference? You both believe in free-will and that God can be "frustrated" and His will thwarted (although Scripture plainly tells us otherwise).
                        Arminians do not believe this. And no the Scripture teaches just the reverse.
                        sigpic
                        "The [open view] is an attempt to provide a more Biblically faithful, rationally coherent, and practically satisfying account of God and the divine-human relationship..." - Dr. John Sanders

Comment

Would there need to be an "elect" if Eve hadn't invited sin and death into the world?
                          Did Eve invite sin and death into the world?

Comment

That's a moot point to argue. The fact is, it happened exactly the way God planned.

Revelations 13:8
                            All who dwell on the earth will worship him, whose names have not been written in the Book of Life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

1Peter 1:20
                            He indeed was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you.

Comment

To display His glory. All things exist and are done for this exact purpose. It's the reason we exist and the reason all things happen; to glorify God.
                              In what way does the act of raping a five year old boy who dies a week later due to a swollen brain that was caused by the severe violent shaking inflicted as his attacker performed his crime glorify God?

Resting in Him,
                              Clete
                              sigpic
                              "The [open view] is an attempt to provide a more Biblically faithful, rationally coherent, and practically satisfying account of God and the divine-human relationship..." - Dr. John Sanders

Comment

Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer

Arminians do not believe this.
                                What? In free-will?
                                And no the Scripture teaches just the reverse.
                                About God's will being thwarted??? In case you haven't read your Bible lately, may I show you the error of your words:

Job 42:1-2
                                Then Job answered the Lord: "I know that thou can do all things, and that no will of yours can be thwarted."

Psalm 115:3; 135:6
                                Our God is in the heavens; He does whatever He pleases.

Whatever the Lord pleases He does, in heaven and on earth, in the seas and all deeps.

Is 14:24,27; 46:9-11; 55:11
                                The Lord of Hosts has sworn: "As I have planned, so shall it be, and as I have purposed, so shall it stand....For the Lord of Hosts has purposed, and who will make it void? His hand is stretched out, and who will turn it back?"

"Remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, 'My council shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose, calling a bird of prey from the east, the man of my council from a far country. I have spoken, and I will bring it to pass; I have purposed, and I will do it.' "

"So shall my Word be that goes forth from my mouth; it shall not return to me void, but is shall accomplish that which I purpose, and prosper in the things for which I sent it."

Jer 32:17
                                " ' Ah Lord God! It is thou who has made the heavens and the earth by thy great power and by thy outstretched arm! Nothing is too difficult for thee.' "

Daniel 4:35
                                All the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing; and He does according to His will in the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of the earth; and none can stay His hand or say to Him, "What are you doing?"

Matt 19:26
                                ...with God all things are possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X