Nicer than God!

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by Chileice

I have read the article through twice and don't feel like reading it again. As you can see, I prefer to go to the source... which is the Bible for me. I understand your point about the church being "soft on sin". But one can take a stand against sin and still be for the people we are trying to bring into Christ's kingdom. I guess we have radically different ideas of how best to present Christ to a lost world.

I'm not against getting in someone's face once in a while if we already have a relationship going and I know the person will respond in a way that is positive. However, I will never be for hating random sinners in the name of Christ and calling it the loving thing to do. It is cowardly and a way to avoid mixing with the very people Jesus spent large amounts of time with.

I don't know how we could ever PROVE which way works best. I do know that many people have come to faith in Christ through my relationship with them... wanting what I have in Christ, not responding to some rant about their sin. I still call sin sin. I talk about their sins and mine and the need for redemption. But I look at our job as II Cor. 5 points out as ambassadors for Christ. If the "ambassador" who shared Christ with me had been as ugly about me as a teenage sinner as the writer of the article purports we should be, I would probably be lost as an aligator in a blizzard.

I came to Christ because I understood I was a sinner through the passage about Achan in Joshua. Not exactly evangelism material. But it was presented in such a way that I realized I was loved and that there was a remedy for my sin. It was Jesus, not prison or flogging or the death penalty. Please consider what I say. I know I am probably just wasting time imaging anyone could be influenced by this, but I guess it is that hope that keeps me typing. I will try to leave my comments on this subject right here. I think I've just about said all I could to make my point. I hope you see it, Clete.

If you want to be nice to homo's and murderers then go right ahead. Just don't whine about it when they pass laws saying it okay for grown men to have sex with your 10 year old boy. And tell you that you have no right to know when a kidnaper moves in next door. Because that’s precisely the road this country is on. We will be a nation of child molesters and sexual predators just like Sodom.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Mateo

Okay,

One final post on this thread and then I'm done.

We live in an age in which good men are few and good leaders are even fewer. Perhaps there is good reason for this. In Christ's absence there is a void which we tend to want to fill whether conciously or otherwise.

This need leads some to gravitate toward those with a desire to lead and charisma. I found myself becoming a regular listener of a "prophet' who said much that resonated with me. My one concern was his penchant for calling people names, some within his own flock.

Eventually it came to light that this "gentleman" was making regular visits to some of the teenage girls in his charge and bilking money from his flock.

Our God is a jealous God and he is not going to honor anyone putting some man or man's doctrine before Him, and those that do set themselves up for a fall as does their leader.

I have watched as week after week Mr. Enyarts' lastest offerings are trotted out as holy writ by his followers regardless of how obviously nonscriptural said offering might be. The thread "lying for God" leaps to mind. The true believers defend his every utterance as if it came from on high without first searching scripture. This is a tragic mistake that many have made across the millenia.

Mr. Enyart has parlayed a growing concern about what is happening in our world into a license to hate others on the part of his followers and to embrace the thought that those who fall short of his doctrine are worthy of death.

As I have noted to others at TOL it will be people such as this who eventually will be emboldened kill the Lord's sheep thinking they do God a service as He prophecied.

Please consider well the path you walk... the further you go the harder it is to come back.

Last edited:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer

When someone is a pervert it does no one any good to do anything but to make certain that they know that their behavior is repugnant both to you and to God. And by the way, there is no requirement to throw in every detail of the gospel message every time you bring up their perversion.

Case in point: John the Baptist rebuked Herod, who was not a believer nor a religious leader, for his perversion:

• At that time Herod the tetrarch heard the reports about Jesus, and he said to his attendants, "This is John the Baptist; he has risen from the dead! That is why miraculous powers are at work in him."

Now Herod had arrested John and bound him and put him in prison because of Herodias, his brother Philip's wife, for John had been saying to him: "It is not lawful for you to have her." Herod wanted to kill John, but he was afraid of the people, because they considered him a prophet.

On Herod's birthday the daughter of Herodias danced for them and pleased Herod so much that he promised with an oath to give her whatever she asked. Prompted by her mother, she said, "Give me here on a platter the head of John the Baptist." The king was distressed, but because of his oaths and his dinner guests, he ordered that her request be granted and had John beheaded in the prison. His head was brought in on a platter and given to the girl, who carried it to her mother. John's disciples came and took his body and buried it. Then they went and told Jesus. Matthew 14:1-12

Lovejoy

Originally posted by Turbo

Case in point: John the Baptist rebuked Herod, who was not a believer nor a religious leader, for his perversion:

• At that time Herod the tetrarch heard the reports about Jesus, and he said to his attendants, "This is John the Baptist; he has risen from the dead! That is why miraculous powers are at work in him."

Now Herod had arrested John and bound him and put him in prison because of Herodias, his brother Philip's wife, for John had been saying to him: "It is not lawful for you to have her." Herod wanted to kill John, but he was afraid of the people, because they considered him a prophet.

On Herod's birthday the daughter of Herodias danced for them and pleased Herod so much that he promised with an oath to give her whatever she asked. Prompted by her mother, she said, "Give me here on a platter the head of John the Baptist." The king was distressed, but because of his oaths and his dinner guests, he ordered that her request be granted and had John beheaded in the prison. His head was brought in on a platter and given to the girl, who carried it to her mother. John's disciples came and took his body and buried it. Then they went and told Jesus. Matthew 14:1-12

I am not disputing that it was perversion, but John rebuked him because Herod Antipas was a jew, and under Mosaic law was only allowed his brothers wife in levirate marriage. This marriage was not. All jews were under Johns care and all were under the law, making Johns rebuke very proper.

Still, I would have rebuked him any ol' way. It was his niece as well as his brothers wife! What was up with that group? Yuck.

Aussie Thinker

BANNED
Banned
Clete,

If you want to be nice to homo's and murderers then go right ahead. Just don't whine about it when they pass laws saying it okay for grown men to have sex with your 10 year old boy. And tell you that you have no right to know when a kidnaper moves in next door. Because that’s precisely the road this country is on. We will be a nation of child molesters and sexual predators just like Sodom.

That is just plain wrong…

Child molestation and sexual predation is as illegal and detested by everyone as much as it has EVER been.

The penalties for these crimes HAVE been increasing.

The day the law say it is ok for grown men to have sex with a 10 year old boy is the day the lawmakers will get thrown out by their ears !

You are trying to link the above despicable crimes with the NON CRIME of two consenting adults having sex..

That fact that you link them shows you DO have some irrational hatred of homosexuals which is usually a sign of thwarted desire or latency.

You fit the profile of a psychopath or at worst a sociopath.. religion is your thinly veiled excuse for your own perversion.. the destruction of your own inner desires.. its like you must wipe out temptation…

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Lovejoy

I am not disputing that it was perversion, but John rebuked him because Herod Antipas was a jew, and under Mosaic law was only allowed his brothers wife in levirate marriage. This marriage was not. All jews were under Johns care and all were under the law, making Johns rebuke very proper.
What do you make of this post? :readthis:

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=487921#post487921

Still, I would have rebuked him any ol' way.
:up:

Lovejoy

What do you make of this post? :readthis:

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=487921#post487921

:up:

That was pretty bad. I don't know what his sources are, but mine is Josephus. Antipas was the son of Herod the Great (half-jew, but under the law) and Malthace, a Samaritan. He was also full brother to Archelaus, who was Herod before him. Antipas was actually tetrarch over Galilee before he was Herod. Since Jews trace decendency from the father, I assume that Antipas was under the law.

BTW, his marriage to Herodius led to a series of calamaties that eventually cost his power and got him banished to Gaul. God does punish.

Duder

Over 750 post club
Originally posted by AussieThinker:

Clete,
Originally posted by Clete Pfieffer:

That is just plain wrong…

Child molestation and sexual predation is as illegal and detested by everyone as much as it has EVER been.

The penalties for these crimes HAVE been increasing.

The day the law say it is ok for grown men to have sex with a 10 year old boy is the day the lawmakers will get thrown out by their ears !

You are trying to link the above despicable crimes with the NON CRIME of two consenting adults having sex..

That fact that you link them shows you DO have some irrational hatred of homosexuals which is usually a sign of thwarted desire or latency.

You fit the profile of a psychopath or at worst a sociopath.. religion is your thinly veiled excuse for your own perversion.. the destruction of your own inner desires.. its like you must wipe out temptation…

Point blank and bullseye, Aussie. My POTD.

beanieboy

Again, I will point out that in the Gospels, there are no verses where Jesus said, "You stupid pig! You are a sinner! You don't deserve me."

Enyart points out all the "name calling" that Jesus did - to the Pharisees who were the religious equivalents of Enyart, to his disciples who were following him, etc. But he fails to point out that Christ was harsh to his followers, and gentle to those who were lost.

He didn't call people to him by telling people they make him vomit.

I have posted before, this Mean as God approach is confusing to the nonsaved.
So, say that a gay person lives in the neighborhood.
The unsaved spraypaint "Fag" on his driveway, egg his house, yell, "Stupid faggot" as he walks by.
Now, you, a christian, walk by and say, "You make me sick, you stupid faggot! I can barely keep down my lunch, you make me want to puke so much! You don't deserve God!"

The treatment is the same.
The person experiences the same harshness from both parties, and sees them as the same.

That is what Enyart proposes, and he does so by falsely setting the stage:
Do you:
A) beat you child half an inch of his life when he disobeys or
B) let him do whatever he wants and never discipline?

The answer is C - you discipline your child appropriately.
But Enyart isn't about leading people to Christ.

I've read the article 3 times since this thread.

Read how many times you see "Enyart" in the article.
He defends his beliefs, and self promotes.

I went to church every Sunday for years.
My pastor never put himself on such a pedistol.

beanieboy

Originally posted by granite1010

Keep it up, beanie.
:thumb:

Thanks, but I find it troubling.

I find it troubling that I am Buddhist, pointing out the massive contradictions of between the actions of Christ and Christian, and the similarities between those who place law above love, as the Pharisees.

I find it troubling to see people, such as Enyart, say that those who don't use tough love are wimpy Christians, although Jesus was constantly showing gentleness to those who were outside of the church. And whatever Enyart says, they believe. They don't question it ever, and he leads them astray like a cult leader. In fact, often big supporters will say, "Enyart and I think..." not even differentiating themselves and him.

I find it troubling that I once read a pastor who asked that his congregation accept gay church goers into the congregation. After the sermon, a woman asked him to reconsider his position. He said to her, "If Jesus were outside the door, and a gay person wanted to come in and worship, would Jesus let them in, or send them away."
She answered, "Well, He would probably let him in, but he would be wrong."

I'm troubled that when Mathew Shepard died, very close to when James Byrd was dragged to death for being black, that so many christian talk show hosts (I was listening to local ones here) were talking about how over broadcasted Shepard's death was.
There was little said about how wrong it was, how he was tied in a crucifician style and beaten repeatedly because of hatred.
There was little talk about the barbarian dragging of Byrd, and the twisted way the Aryan League uses the Bible.
But there was a lot of talk about shooting down any suggestion for Hate Crime laws, and defending christianity.
It was really callous.

That's why I'm Buddhist.

I see so little Christ in Christianity.

billwald

"God utterly forbid drinking blood (Lev. 3:17; 17:14). Israelites, from priests, to Pharisees, to average citizens, were at least superficially obsessed with "keeping the law." '

Still waiting for a verse in Exodus through Deut that obligates gentiles living outside the Land.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by beanieboy

Thanks, but I find it troubling.

I find it troubling that I am Buddhist, pointing out the massive contradictions of between the actions of Christ and Christian, and the similarities between those who place law above love, as the Pharisees.

I find it troubling to see people, such as Enyart, say that those who don't use tough love are wimpy Christians, although Jesus was constantly showing gentleness to those who were outside of the church. And whatever Enyart says, they believe. They don't question it ever, and he leads them astray like a cult leader. In fact, often big supporters will say, "Enyart and I think..." not even differentiating themselves and him.

I find it troubling that I once read a pastor who asked that his congregation accept gay church goers into the congregation. After the sermon, a woman asked him to reconsider his position. He said to her, "If Jesus were outside the door, and a gay person wanted to come in and worship, would Jesus let them in, or send them away."
She answered, "Well, He would probably let him in, but he would be wrong."

I'm troubled that when Mathew Shepard died, very close to when James Byrd was dragged to death for being black, that so many christian talk show hosts (I was listening to local ones here) were talking about how over broadcasted Shepard's death was.
There was little said about how wrong it was, how he was tied in a crucifician style and beaten repeatedly because of hatred.
There was little talk about the barbarian dragging of Byrd, and the twisted way the Aryan League uses the Bible.
But there was a lot of talk about shooting down any suggestion for Hate Crime laws, and defending christianity.
It was really callous.

That's why I'm Buddhist.

I see so little Christ in Christianity.

I hear you. This attitude bothers me too (though I'm not crossing the line to Buddhism any time soon).

Lovejoy

Lovejoy, I'm looking through Josephus' stuff now.

You know, after rereading his post, I think the confusion is over which Herod was trying to kill baby Jesus (he was half-jew) and which was rebuked by John (one of the younger sons of that Herod). Anyways, rebuke em' all! They all had it coming. As I said before, though, they all got it too!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

beanieboy,

Zacchaeus was clearly had a repentant and humble heart. Jesus could plainly see it. Any third-grader reading the story should be able to see it, too. He was seeking after the Lord, and he ever is recorded calling Him "Lord."

Jesus called sinners to repent. You can't tell someone they need to repent without calling him a sinner, which is offensive to most people (like you).

To those who were repentant, those with humble attitudes toward Him, He was gentle.

To those who were hard-hearted toward Him, putting their own beliefs above His commandments which were revealed through the prophets, He was quite harsh.

You, beanieboy, are among the latter. You reject the truth of God in favor of what is right in your own eyes.

If you think Clete is harsh, wait until you meet God. He is not merciful toward those who reject His mercy.
Great post! :up:

Duder

Over 750 post club
If you think Clete is harsh, wait until you meet God. He is not merciful toward those who reject His mercy.

Whoa!

If you find Clete godly with his aspirations to disembowel (draw and quarter) homosexuals - an activity in which he looks forward to taking a personal hand - I cannot imagine which god he is like. Plainly not any of the ones who are spoken of in the world's great religions.

And your comments about mercy make no sense at all. If I offer mercy, it makes no difference whether the recipient of my mercy accepts it or not. How can he refuse it? Either I act mercifully, or I do not act mercifully- all on my own responsibility and irrespective of what anyone else says.

I do not understand all of this "nicer than God" business. It is as though there is a movement to paint God as a Big Nasty Brute. You are entitled to do this, but it might be best accomplished in the establishment of an altogether new religion - one which celebrates the most crass and base aspects of human nature.

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I've been away for a while and have just read through what has been posted over the 36 hours or so and I have to say that I'm truly disgusted. Not surprised, but very disgusted.

I am particularly disappointed with Mateo, although I'm not really sure why. I mean, I don't even consider Mateo to be a Christian, so I don't suppose that I should expect anything other than a typical understanding of Christianity from him. Never the less, he has shown in the past an ability to put two consecutive thoughts together without assuming connections that aren't there. In this case however, Mateo has shown less ability to understand the issues involved here than has Freak. Which is hard to even conceive, but there it is.

With that having been said, I think that there is very little else to be said on my part. I understand the reaction both of the homos and homo lovers as well as that of the Christians on this thread.
The reaction from the homos is expected and desired. In fact, I dare say that the thread was far more successful than I could have imagined. Bob is truly brilliant! I doubt very seriously that anything I could have written on my own could have engendered such a response.
The response from the Christians is also quite understandable because of the pervasive amount of near total ignorance in the church today. The vast majority of Christians know very little more than, "I deserve hell but am saved by Grace through faith in Jesus Christ." Acknowledgement of this is very simple idea is the very first step in a Christians walk with the Lord and most never progress very far past this. American Christians in particular, are very lazy and want everything spoon fed and just simply aren't willing to do the work involved in understand what it means to rest in the finished work of Jesus Christ. Christianity is very simple but it not easy. There were of course obvious exceptions and they know who they are, but for the most part the Christians here have proven to be very disappointingly typical.

So, in closing I should like to sum up once more my position on the issues that have been discussed here and then I think I'll sit back and watch for a while. As much as I would like to stay actively involved on the thread, I don't think my schedule will allow the level of participation that was required a couple of days ago. Knight, you should check to see if this thread broke any records for most posts accumulated in the shortest amount of time! When I started it, I got nothing for a day or two and then BOOM! this sucker exploded! :noway:
Any way...

I believe that the central point of Bob's article is summed up in the following two quotes from the article...

"A harsh style is difficult for more sensitive Christians to appreciate. However the biblical approach to communicating with the world includes not only compassion, but harshness as well."

and...

"God uses different methods to communicate the Gospel to people at different depths of depravity. At times, a Christian can pray with an unbeliever. At other times, a believer might ridicule the unrepentant in hopes of waking him up. Painful communication though is in no way reserved just for non-Christians."

I find it interesting that almost no one would disagree with either of these statements when taken by themselves. It's only when they are put into practice that everybody gets their underwear all knotted up.
I also find it interesting that many Christians have a big problem with me for harshly attacking a criminal, but have no problem at all with harshly attacking me for have done so. :think:

With that having been said, let me clarify what I believe about some of the specific things that have come up on this thread.

God considers the following things to be capital crimes (this will not be a complete list and is in no particular order).
Homosexuality
Child Molestation
Bestiality
Incest
Adultery
Murder
Kidnapping

The only one of these that this country considers a capital crime is murder but even that is not consistently enforced. In short, the criminal justice system in this country is almost totally unjust.
Ezekiel 13:19 "And will you profane Me among My people..., killing people who should not die, and keeping people alive who should not live...?"

However, we do not have the authority from God to take the law into our own hands! If anyone takes the life of anyone else, including homos, without due process of law, except when protecting themselves or their family, then they have committed murder and should be executed.
So, while I do believe that the execution of homos (and murders and the rest) should be the law of the land, I do not advocate the killing or beating of homos until such time as it becomes the law and then only upon conviction. (Unless they touch one of your kids, then beat them unconscious and wear your jail time as a badge of honor! ;) ).

However, just because our idiot government doesn't uphold justice, doesn't mean that homo's and adulterers, etc. are not criminals. They are criminals and should be treated as such to whatever extent it is within our power to do so. Why? Well, because that's what they are, criminals! The only reason any one doesn't already treat them as such is because our laws are unjust.
This is why the recriminalization of such behaviors is the most critical tactic that can be used in the fight against immorality. The law teaches a society what is right and wrong (or it does if the law is just). If the society believes something is wrong then the second tactic will automatically be in place, that being a social stigma. With the law being unjust, the best thing we can do to hold back the tide of immorality and perversion is to create this social stigma intentionally. Doing so would put back into place at least some of the deterrent that is absent without the threat of a painful execution. And then, of course there is a place for a gentler attitude when one finds a criminal who is willing to admit his crime and repent. My point on this thread was to say among other things that most of all Christianity attempts to work these three tactics in the reverse order and the result is, of course, a dismal failure which is self evident in our society.

And finally, I would just like to say to those of you who decided it was appropriate to slander both me and Bob Enyart, I do not forgive you nor will I unless you repent. I will relish the opportunity to add to the testimony given against you on the day of judgment.

Well, that's plenty for now. I think I covered most everything that I want to. If I think of something else that needs said, I'll weigh in again but for now, as Bob would say...
Do right and risk the consequences!

Resting in Him,
Clete

Last edited:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer

God is not going to throw their sin into Hell, He will throw them into Hell. Hate the sin and love the sinner is not a Biblical concept. It is their heart that is wicked and which produces the evil actions. Your kind of love throws hot grease on the slippery slope that they are already sliding down toward hell.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Do you mean the kind of love that tells them that what they are doing is an abomination? The love that tells them God abhors them and what they do? The love that tells them there is freedom? The love that tells them God can change you, if you let Him. The love that tells them God wants to change them? You are a faggot, Clete. [going by Jefferson's definition].