Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does God know all things that are, have been, and will be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does God know all things that are, have been, and will be?

Calvinism would have us believe that since God is eternal, He knows all things that are, have been or will be. Is this true?

Have I represented Calvinism's view correctly?

Originally posted by ghost View Post
    Calvinism would have us believe that since God is eternal, He knows all things that are, have been or will be. Is this true?

Have I represented Calvinism's view correctly?
    Not quite.

God is eternal, of course, but it is because God is The Sovereign Creator that He knows all about His creation and creatures.

Nang
    "The immutable God never learned anything and never changed his mind. He knew everything from eternity."

" The difference between faith and saving faith are the propositions believed."
    Gordon H. Clark

"If a man be lost, God must not have the blame for it; but if a man be saved, God must have the glory of it."
    Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by Nang View Post
      Not quite.

God is eternal, of course, but it is because God is The Sovereign Creator that He knows all about His creation and creatures.

Nang
      So is there something He does not know?
      He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

Jim Elliot

Comment

Originally posted by Bright Raven View Post
        So is there something He does not know?
        No.
        "The immutable God never learned anything and never changed his mind. He knew everything from eternity."

Gordon H. Clark

"If a man be lost, God must not have the blame for it; but if a man be saved, God must have the glory of it."
        Charles Spurgeon

Comment

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

Jim Elliot

Comment

Not quite.

Nang
            Okay.

Would you say that He knows all things that are, have been, and will be?

If so, is it eternally a present reality for God?

Comment

Okay.

Would you say that He knows all things that are, have been, and will be?
              Yes.

If so, is it eternally a present reality for God?
              "Eternally" or eternity?

Gordon H. Clark

Charles Spurgeon

Comment

"Eternally" or eternity?
                What I'm asking is (and there is no best way to ask this) if all things that are, have been, or will be are a present reality in eternity? In other words, would you say that as God is, so is all things present in the mind of God?

If you have a better way of explaining your (or Calvinism's) view concerning what God knows, how much He knows, and when He knows it. Please explain. Thanks.

Comment

What I'm asking is (and there is no best way to ask this) if all things that are, have been, or will be are a present reality in eternity?

In other words, would you say that as God is, so is all things present in the mind of God?
                  Well, to answer as best and briefly as I can, you are asking two questions.

You want to know if eternity consists of all earthly events.

And you are wanting to know if all earthly events were determined in the mind of God.

The only answer lies in divine PURPOSE.

I refer to Ephesians 1:3-11 for exact reference.

Nang

Gordon H. Clark

Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Well, to answer as best and briefly as I can, you are asking two questions.

You want to know if eternity consists of all earthly events.

And you are wanting to know if all earthly events were determined in the mind of God.

The only answer lies in divine PURPOSE.

I refer to Ephesians 1:3-11 for exact reference.

Nang
                    Since we both know that God is eternal, then are ALL the "earthly" events in the mind of God eternally (not to mention all the eternal events)? In other words, do you (or Calvinism) believe that those events have always been known by God, and always will be? There can be no creating of the events, if God has eternally known all events. Do you see what I'm asking?

Comment

Since we both know that God is eternal, then are ALL the "earthly" events in the mind of God eternally (not to mention all the eternal events)? In other words, do you (or Calvinism) believe that those events have always been known by God, and always will be? There can be no creating of the events, if God has eternally known all events. Do you see what I'm asking?
                      Yes, and I'm not a Calvinist.

One doesn't have to be a Calvinist to be a settled theist. Many dispensationalists and others are settled theists.

To the best of my knowledge, only people who call themselves open theists deny that God knows everything. (Besides atheists)
                      (1 Cor 1:13 KJV) Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

Comment

Since we both know that God is eternal, then are ALL the "earthly" events in the mind of God eternally (not to mention all the eternal events)? In other words, do you (or Calvinism) believe that those events have always been known by God, and always will be?
                        Yes, because any temporal events have fulfilled God's eternal purposes.

There can be no creating of the events, if God has eternally known all events. Do you see what I'm asking?
                        Yes I do, but I see you confusing first causes with effects.

Effects never explain causes . . .

Nang

Gordon H. Clark

Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Yes, because any temporal events have fulfilled God's eternal purposes.
                          I think I understand what you are saying.

If the temporal events are a fulfillment of His eternal purpose, then would you say that those temporal events were eternally fully known? If so, then how can anything ever be conceived as a purpose?

I understand that I'm not formulating my questions as well as I'd like, but I'm trying to understand how it is perceived by Calvinists (and apparently others) that all things have eternally been present in the mind of God and yet Him having the ability to create or conceive anything in His mind.

Yes I do, but I see you confusing first causes with effects.

Effects never explain causes . . .
                          I'm not sure I understand this. Please elaborate.

Comment

Originally posted by tetelestai View Post
                            Yes, and I'm not a Calvinist.
                            okay

One doesn't have to be a Calvinist to be a settled theist. Many dispensationalists and others are settled theists.
                            okay
                            To the best of my knowledge, only people who call themselves open theists deny that God knows everything. (Besides atheists)
                            Can you tell me, (and I'm going to use a term that doesn't really apply, but to try and get to the truth, I must use it) when does/did God know everything? Always? Eternally present in His mind? Forever? From the beginning? Eternity?

Just trying to understand

Comment

Can you tell me, (and I'm going to use a term that doesn't really apply, but to try and get to the truth, I must use it) when does/did God know everything? Always? Eternally present in His mind? Forever? From the beginning? Eternity?

Just trying to understand
                              I don't think anyone can really explain it.

God is eternal and infinite, therefore He knows everything, and has always known everything.

There are plenty of settled theists and open theists around here that will make you think you are watching some time travel-science fiction movie with a big dose of philosophy thrown in.

I can't explain it.

Good Luck!
                              (1 Cor 1:13 KJV) Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

Comment

Working...
                              X