LOST - discussion about the TV series LOST. ** SPOILER ALERT **

Dena

We love Lost. We watched the first two seasons on DVD. We'd sit and watch at least four at a time.

andyc

Ive never watched one episode of this, what's it about?
Also, the new series of V hasn't aired here in the UK yet, is it good?

GuySmiley

Ive never watched one episode of this, what's it about?
Also, the new series of V hasn't aired here in the UK yet, is it good?
Well, you are lead to belive its a show about people 'lost' on an island when their plane crashes. But not too far into the show you find out its about keeping you, the viewer, lost.

Wamba

`
LIFETIME MEMBER
How much have you seen of it?

I actually disagree, in fact the show often pokes fun at itself, one particularly funny bit was when Hurley and Miles were bickering about the implications of time travel. Classic! :rotfl:

I've seen the first few episodes and random ones throughout different seasons. From those few scattered episodes it just seems like the writers are trying to be smarter than they really are. :idunno:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I've seen the first few episodes and random ones throughout different seasons. From those few scattered episodes it just seems like the writers are trying to be smarter than they really are. :idunno:
Well... it is after all just a TV show, so I'm not going to talk you into liking it.

I will say that's it's the most interesting TV show I have ever watched and I am amazed at the massive amount of forethought that must have gone into this show to tie it altogether as we enter the final season.

Don't kid yourself, there is no way possible that the writers made all this up as they went along. The clues that we are getting answers to now were REALLY there for us along, we just didn't know then what we were looking for.

Wamba

`
LIFETIME MEMBER
Well... it is after all just a TV show, so I'm not going to talk you into liking it.

I will say that's it's the most interesting TV show I have ever watched and I am amazed at the massive amount of forethought that must have gone into this show to tie it altogether as we enter the final season.

Don't kid yourself, there is no way possible that the writers made all this up as they went along. The clues that we are getting answers to now were REALLY there for us along, we just didn't know then what we were looking for.

Well that's fair. I probably haven't seen enough of the show to accurately judge it, that's just how it came off to me.

WandererInFog

Episode by episode? No. But most certainly they did Season by Season, and sometimes even part way through various ones to the point where it's doubtful that anything which is happening now was conceived of by the authors when the first season was being filmed. While the writers try to make long-term plans they've acknowledge having to make a lot of major changes as the show went on. A couple of examples of this would things like Michael Emerson (Ben) originally being intended to be a minor character for one arc in season 2, whose role was radically expanded as the producers were impressed his performance or conversely Ian Somerhalder (Boone) was originally intended to one of the series primary characters (he actually was given third billing in the 1st season) but was killed off after they decided he wasn't a strong enough actor.

They've also acknowledged, for example, that during the first season they hadn't even invented things like the Dharma Initiative yet, and things like the original script for the pilot actually ended with the death of Jack Shepherd which they changed under pressure from the network.

Overall they've done a pretty decent job of holding the show together continuity wise (you won't notice many of the continuity gaffes unless you're really looking for them), but the overall direction of the show as envisioned by the writers has changed fairly radically several times over the course of it's run.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
13 days, 3 hours, 42 minutes, and 34 seconds til the first episode of the final season.

Incase anybody was wondering. :noid:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I managed to not watch a single episode of Lost until about a week ago, when I put the first season of it on my Netflix instant watch and tonight I finish the last episode of that season. Very entertaining television. Absurd from the outset, but entertaining. I will probably record the last season and then watch it after I catch up. This far in my favorite character is Lock. :think:

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Hmmm... maybe their plan worked after all....
The extras in the chicken commercial sure resemble cast members Kate, Jack, Locke, Michael, and Walt. What if, hmm, what if they are the only survivors of season 6?

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Episode by episode? No. But most certainly they did Season by Season, and sometimes even part way through various ones to the point where it's doubtful that anything which is happening now was conceived of by the authors when the first season was being filmed....
I used to visit the LOST forums back in season 1 & 2 and I noticed a lot of people come up with detailed storyline predictions after each episode. I wonder if the show's writers ever read those and incorporated what they liked into their own scripts. For instance, I remember reading a prediction that Jack and Claire were siblings long before it was ever revealed. Of course with so much guessing, someone was bound to get something right.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Have any of you LOST fans seen Mysteries of the Universe?

Mysteries of the Universe was a FAKE 1980's ABC TV show that featured an episode bout the DHARMA Initiative.

This FAKE 6 part YouTube video was released just this past summer!

It's amazing what a great job they did making these look like videos from the 1980's.

Whoa, those are cool!! I'd never seen them. And you're right about the "80's" look with sound, editing, etc. Neato!!

I'm trying to figure out who Alvar Honso(sp) and Jerald DeGroup(sp) are and how and where they fit in.

Maybe "Mom" got Faraday to study and figure out how she could "go back" and gain control of something (Dharma) which Honso and DeGroup had headed up and had proven to have a negative outcome in order to either stop or change it.

Or maybe she just wanted the power over something that had proven to be behind startling events that occured (will occur), knowing she would benefit from it.

Lucky said:
I used to visit the LOST forums back in season 1 & 2 and I noticed a lot of people come up with detailed storyline predictions after each episode. I wonder if the show's writers ever read those and incorporated what they liked into their own scripts. For instance, I remember reading a prediction that Jack and Claire were siblings long before it was ever revealed. Of course with so much guessing, someone was bound to get something right.

And what did they do about unexpected conflicts that came up? Such as Michelle Rodriquez (Anna Lusia) being fired for her typical crazy trouble making antics? :think:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
That's a fun aspect of the show. Our little group of "Lost" watchers do the same thing. We have all these crazy theories about what is what. Most of our theories are wrong but we have a good time making stuff up.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My husband's going to be out of town next week. He told me I couldn't watch the season premier next Tuesday without him and that I'd have to wait til he got back.

HA!! Yeah, right! Sure I'll wait. :rotfl:

Only 4 days, 4 hours, 16 minutes, and 13 seconds away!!

:noid:

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
After last night's episode I am not sure what to think.

An entire new group of people being introduced in the last season? One of which is an original survivor of the crash. I can handle new people I guess, but where does that put them throughout the entire series thus far?

Were they there when Dharma was there? Did they travel through time with the Island too?

I hope that in order to answer all of the mysteries that the show has put forward they didn't "invent" this new group of people in order to solve the mysteries.

Were the kids that brought food the kids that were originally kidnapped from the survivors? If so, that would mean that these new temple people are part of the "others". BUT, the others (the ones who kidnapped the kids) are Ben and his group that were living in the Dharma bunkers.

We had Ben and his group being portrayed as the "keepers" of the Island, knowing the in's and out's having the ability to move the Island, travel to the main land, fighting with Whitmore, etc...

Now we have a group of temple people. I am sure it will all work out...but for right now, I don't know what to think.

GuySmiley

After last night's episode I am not sure what to think.

An entire new group of people being introduced in the last season? One of which is an original survivor of the crash. I can handle new people I guess, but where does that put them throughout the entire series thus far?

Were they there when Dharma was there? Did they travel through time with the Island too?

I hope that in order to answer all of the mysteries that the show has put forward they didn't "invent" this new group of people in order to solve the mysteries.

Were the kids that brought food the kids that were originally kidnapped from the survivors? If so, that would mean that these new temple people are part of the "others". BUT, the others (the ones who kidnapped the kids) are Ben and his group that were living in the Dharma bunkers.

We had Ben and his group being portrayed as the "keepers" of the Island, knowing the in's and out's having the ability to move the Island, travel to the main land, fighting with Whitmore, etc...

Now we have a group of temple people. I am sure it will all work out...but for right now, I don't know what to think.
I thought the people at the temple were the others. I think that because the rocket/firwork they launched was a signal to Richard, apparently. And I think the 'others' are followers of Jacob. They can apparently travel on/off the island, so that's how the woman was on the plane.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I thought the people at the temple were the others. I think that because the rocket/firwork they launched was a signal to Richard, apparently. And I think the 'others' are followers of Jacob. They can apparently travel on/off the island, so that's how the woman was on the plane.
That's also my take.

These aren't new people so much as they are people that we haven't been introduced to yet. Hostiles... others... there have always been more to those stories so I can't say I was completely surprised by meeting this group. Even Ben had signaled to some mysterious group of folks with the mirror in an earlier episode and Richard was certainly part of something other than just a rogue character on the island.