Hey DX!

P8ntrDan

I'm currently very unsatisfied with my school and am considering dropping out at the quarter and starting homeschooling. Could you possibly give me some info/resources that a first-time homeschooler might need?

Maximeee

Death2impiety's Wife
Gold Subscriber
Hey P8nterDan!

I know DX is out for the day and won't be back until late tonight. You could also ask ebenz for some advice, since her daughter is your age and is homeschooled. Good luck!

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
Sould like a great idea! You should PM Dread Helm with specific questions. He is 16 and homeschooled but I know he is out of town until Tuesday.

johncalvinhall

I'm currently very unsatisfied with my school and am considering dropping out at the quarter and starting homeschooling. Could you possibly give me some info/resources that a first-time homeschooler might need?

1. Be very careful on the curriculum. It will make you or break you.
Several really good sources:

a. Abeka Books - Top of the Line in material but quite $$$. It's the best way to go if you can afford it.

b. Christian Liberty Press - Excellent Materials and very cost effective. Downside is that the parents have to put the effort into teaching.

2. Pace yourself. Don't take on more than you can chew.

3. Get Local Support. There will be times when you will want to give up. Local Homeschooler's Support is priceless!

DXPose

BANNED
Banned
Hi - Maxime just told me about this thread - sorry I didn't get to it sooner but I was out for the day.

I'm currently very unsatisfied with my school and am considering dropping out at the quarter and starting homeschooling.

:BRAVO: PRAISE THE LORD - Halleluiah! That's great news and probably the best decision you could make.

Could you possibly give me some info/resources that a first-time homeschooler might need?

Since you will only have less than a year to complete high school, it shouldn't be to hard to finish the "required" courses to get a diploma. Like mentioned earlier, Ebenz and Dred Helm would both be great candidates to direct you towards that path. My children are still young, so I don't know exactly how high-school homeschooling works but there are plenty of people I do know who I can get answers from if needed. Also, it may depend on the state you live in for the specific requirements you will need.

One of the great things is you will finally be able to study subjects that really interest you which will maximize your learning and chances for success as you pursue a career. The internet is an endless fountain of information where you can study any subject imaginable for free.

Put a list of questions you have together and we can all do our best to answer them for you and help you on your journey! :thumb:

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
It took you this long to decide you didn't like school? Quit now and you will only be a quitter. You know enough to ace the SAT? To pass the GED? You want to be home schooled for one year? Who will home school you? I think you are confused. Tough it out.

Thats a bunch of crap. He is not quiting, he is moving up and out of the public school brainwashing sewer.

You are the one who is confused.:dunce:

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned

What grade are you in?

DXPose

BANNED
Banned
You can't move up to a classroom that's built around the Bible.

Just because you're comfortable with mind-numbing indoctrination and prefer to be willfully ignorant of the truth doesn't mean you need to drag bright young minds into the gutter with you. :nono:

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm being indoctrinated, but the kids who're taken out of schools to be taught the Bible aren't?

Why do you think that homeschooled children are "taken out of schools to be taught the Bible?" I took my daughter out of public school ten years ago because they refused to meet her intellectual needs. The teacher told me that I should teach her to sit down, do just the work required (which was way too easy for my daughter), and shut up. I don't believe in telling children that they're not allowed to learn. So, I pulled her out of public school. Since then, she's had one semester in public school (right after my husband passed away) and one semester in a private school (I was offered free tuition for teaching a Spanish class.). Both times showed me that I had made the right decision when I decided to homeschool. I won't put her back in public school again.

Now, my daughter's seventeen and a senior. She starts her senior year Tuesday. We have little to do to complete what seniors here have to complete. So, most of her school year will be used to prepare her for the real world (getting a job, learning how to keep a budget, paying some bills). When she finishes, she wants to go to school and take law enforcement classes.

As to learning the Bible, my daughter has shown no interest in learning it word-for-word. But, she knows the general idea of the Bible. We used the Bible studies as extra-curricular activities, since the "three R's" are the most important part of education.

Sometimes, I can't believe what you anti-homeschooling people say about those who choose to educate their children at home or about our children. You guys are clearly grasping at straws since there are also a lot of non-Christian home schoolers.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Since you will only have less than a year to complete high school, it shouldn't be to hard to finish the "required" courses to get a diploma. Like mentioned earlier, Ebenz and Dred Helm would both be great candidates to direct you towards that path. My children are still young, so I don't know exactly how high-school homeschooling works but there are plenty of people I do know who I can get answers from if needed. Also, it may depend on the state you live in for the specific requirements you will need.

One of the great things is you will finally be able to study subjects that really interest you which will maximize your learning and chances for success as you pursue a career. The internet is an endless fountain of information where you can study any subject imaginable for free.

Put a list of questions you have together and we can all do our best to answer them for you and help you on your journey! :thumb:

DXPose is right about you needing to decide what subjects interest you the most right now. You're looking toward your adult life and need to decide what you want to do with yourself. There are apprenticeships, if you're interested in them (electricians, plumbers, construction trades, veterinary clinics, dog groomers/trainers, etc...). Or, you can make sure that you have met all of the requirements for entering college. My daughter is going to, basically, learn life skills this year and then go to a trade school next year to take law enforcement classes.

Adam

Hall of Fame
I think P8nterDan should move out of high school ASAP.

Every teenage year is valuable and he has a greater chance of being influenced negatively while a teenager in the public school system.

Plus, the liberals in this thread blow my mind. They urge Dan to finish out the senior year, as if homeschool would only last that long. What the libs don't realize is that homeschooling is a lifelong adventure in excellence! He's just beginning!

Adam

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Actually, yes. You can move up to a classroom that's built around the Bible. The best thing about home schooling (besides the fact that I have a better relationship with my daughter than most parents of high school students have) is that my daughter isn't stuck socializing with just her age group. She can respectfully socialize with any age group. She's not expecting to spend her entire life with the same 30 (or more) people that are the same age as her because she didn't spend the last 12 years in a classroom with the same 30 people. She knows that she will have many more people coming through her daily life and can easily take that into hand.

DXPose

BANNED
Banned
I think P8nterDan should move out of high school ASAP.

Every teenage year is valuable and he has a greater chance of being influenced negatively while a teenager in the public school system.

Plus, the liberals in this thread blow my mind. They urge Dan to finish out the senior year, as if homeschool would only last that long. What the libs don't realize is that homeschooling is a lifelong adventure in excellence! He's just beginning!

Adam

I know for me, everything bad I learned, I learned in public school.

It wasn't until I graduated, found God, realized I was lied to my whole life by the system that I really began to study on my own and learn the TRUTH. I learned more in one year studying on my own than I did my entire 12 years at school.

PKevman

Yep. There's one like that in every class.

Just had to poke in didn't you Barbarian? I think you have a fixation against homeschooling obviously.

I think the best thing for this thread would be to move it to Exclusively Christian territory or in the Homeschooling forum and demand that it be a thread free of debating homeschooling. There are enough threads debating homeschooling and we already know what you knuckleheads think, anyway.

This should be about people advising Dan on his quest towards homeschooling. If you want to debate homeschooling shove it up your nose. We're tired of debating it. There is nothing wrong with homeschooling. There is nothing illegal, immoral, or evil about it. This guy starts a thread saying he wants some advice on starting homeschooling and you arrogant jerks just have to put in your two cents.

Shame on you.

P8ntrDan

It took you this long to decide you didn't like school? Quit now and you will only be a quitter. You know enough to ace the SAT? To pass the GED? You want to be home schooled for one year? Who will home school you? I think you are confused. Tough it out.

I've never liked school much, but I sat down and looked through my priorities, how to make the best use of my time, etc, and figured out that public school is a waste of my time. I took the SAT as a freshman and beat 82% of college bound graduating seniors for the state of Illinois. From what I hear, the GED isn't much either. I would be homeschooled for two years unless I could graduate early, which is quite possible. Seeing as I'm slowed down to the pace of the dumbest person in my class, I could go alot faster. Also, I have almost all of the state's requirements for graduation already, but my school doesn't allow early graduation and they have weird required classes that are just school specific. I also want to have more time, and after talking to several people I know who are homeschooled, they all say that they finish their work several hours faster each day than a regular school day takes. That means more time to get in the word, possibly afew extra work hours, and maybe even a chance to take up guitar.

PKevman

There is nothing wrong with learning about the Bible. It sure could have done you some good. Why the animosity towards the Bible? Because your conscience is pricked by the Word of God that is why. Heaven forbid someone would learn or teach about the Bible instead of Siggy the Fraud.

PKevman

I've never liked school much, but I sat down and looked through my priorities, how to make the best use of my time, etc, and figured out that public school is a waste of my time. I took the SAT as a freshman and beat 82% of college bound graduating seniors for the state of Illinois. From what I hear, the GED isn't much either. I would be homeschooled for two years unless I could graduate early, which is quite possible. Seeing as I'm slowed down to the pace of the dumbest person in my class, I could go alot faster. Also, I have almost all of the state's requirements for graduation already, but my school doesn't allow early graduation and they have weird required classes that are just school specific. I also want to have more time, and after talking to several people I know who are homeschooled, they all say that they finish their work several hours faster each day than a regular school day takes. That means more time to get in the word, possibly afew extra work hours, and maybe even a chance to take up guitar.

Sounds like a great idea. :up: