Ergun Caner Stomps Enyart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freak

I see that Open Theism continues to be a hotly debated topic on TOL. Enyart, it seems to me, is the point man on the issue. Has he ever considered debating someone who, like himself, is a experienced debater?

Ergun Caner, a fellow Criswell College graduate, would probably love the opportunity to do a "live" debate on this subject of Open Theism with Enyart.

http://www.erguncaner.com/home/default.php

Ergun Caner is the President of Liberty Theological Seminary at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia. When Caner was named to the position in 2005, he became the first former Muslim to become the leader of an evangelical seminary. Along with his brother Emir, Caner has become a leading voice for evangelicalism on the national stage. He has been a guest on such networks as FOX News, MSNBC, CNBC, the BBC, and TBN.

Caner has debated Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists and Bah’ai over sixty times at universities and colleges. He has written fourteen books, including When Worldviews Collide (LifeWay 2005), on the subject of Global Apologetics and defending the Christian faith.

Well?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Freak said:
I see that Open Theism continues to be a hotly debated topic on TOL. Enyart, it seems to me, is the point man on the issue. Has he ever considered debating someone who, like himself, is a experienced debater?

Ergun Caner, a fellow Criswell College graduate, would probably love the opportunity to do a "live" debate on this subject of Open Theism with Enyart.

http://www.erguncaner.com/home/default.php

Ergun Caner is the President of Liberty Theological Seminary at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia. When Caner was named to the position in 2005, he became the first former Muslim to become the leader of an evangelical seminary. Along with his brother Emir, Caner has become a leading voice for evangelicalism on the national stage. He has been a guest on such networks as FOX News, MSNBC, CNBC, the BBC, and TBN.

Caner has debated Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists and Bah’ai over sixty times at universities and colleges. He has written fourteen books, including When Worldviews Collide (LifeWay 2005), on the subject of Global Apologetics and defending the Christian faith.

Well?
Is Ergun a Calvinist?

Freak

drbrumley said:
I'd say bring it.

Caner is not a lightweight. He holds his own. He didn't just become the President of the largest Christian University's seminary by being a lightweight. I think this would allow Bob a chance to showcase his talents on a larger stage. :think:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Freak said:
Caner is not a lightweight. He holds his own. He didn't just become the President of the largest Christian University's seminary by being a lightweight. I think this would allow Bob a chance to showcase his talents on a larger stage. :think:
Do you know him?

I could ask Bob about him. We are at some point trying to find a worthy opponent for Bob.

Freak

Knight said:
Do you know him?
It's been awhile since we last spoke. But I could contact him and get his input. As a popular speaker and Bible Teacher is booked way in advance but he might relish this...

I could ask Bob about him. We are at some point trying to find a worthy opponent for Bob.
I think you found your man--Dr. Caner.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Freak said:
I think you found your man--Dr. Caner.
OK, but it seems he is interested in refuting Calvinism so I am not sure that we would want to battle a guy we might be cheering on in other debates. Know what I mean?

Freak

Knight said:
OK, but it seems he is interested in refuting Calvinism so I am not sure that we would want to battle a guy we might be cheering on in other debates. Know what I mean?
But I know he abhors Open Theism and considers it heretical so....but I I'll leave it up to you...

drbrumley

Q: HOW DO YOU DEFINE HYPER CALVINIST?

A: Dr. Caner- If a person holds to reprobation, this is a clear sign. If anyone believes that God has created souls damned to hell, and predestined them to hell, then they would be a poster child for Hyper Calvinism. To do so, they would have to jump over all of the biblical texts we cite. They usually stick to the same four or five they like. That is why I used 1 Timothy 2:1-8.

A second point would be the issue of infant damnation. Drs. Akin and Mohler have been explicit on the fact that if an infant dies, they go to heaven. Dr. White does not believe it is that “simple.” If anyone believes that there is even the possibility of an infant (”non-elect”) going to hell, that would be clear hyper Calvinism. Since they do not like that term, I have also offered neo-Calvinist. Apparently that isn’t acceptable either.

Those who fit in that category usually define “hyper Calvinist” in terms of an ethic - they say that since we cannot know the fixed number, we tell everyone. They call it a “well-intentioned offer.” That is simply poor logic. I repeatedly ask them, “Will the elect get saved, whether we tell them or not?” Obviously, if you hold to hyper Calvinism, you must ultimately answer “yes.”

The Berean

I actually met Pastor Canor at an apologtics conference last September. We spoke briefly after the meeting and he gave me his email. I even plugged TOL as we were in the midst of debating Christianity with that former pastor athiest guy (I forget his name). He seemed really interested in checking out TOL.

Last edited:

Dan Cantino

BANNED
Banned
Do you know him?

A worthy opponent? HA! Any opponent is worthy. Bob is just a man. Perhaps a good debater, but just a man, a sinner like the rest of us.

And BTW, what's wrong with calvinists?

Status
Not open for further replies.