The new promise of a way to utopia.

tieman55

The left's new path to utopia is technology.

Electric cars, hi tech walls (what ever that is), hi speed rail, renewable energy, ethanol, sex changes, cures for this and cures for that, that never come along. (Artificial Intelligence is their next failure in waiting)

Generally when government spends money on finding a solution it will never be found, it can't be, because if a solution were found, that government entity would go away. Ronald Reagan said long ago, the closet thing to eternal life is a government program. Solutions to problems is not the governments forte. LOL

Liberals and specifically AOC sincerely believe technology will solve all perceived problems Just have to throw enough money at it. Just pass a law that the productive class produce technology according to their demands, and puff problem solved. They think that is how it works.

I think this needs to be said again, AOC and many if not most in her generation, really believe the world is ending in a few years. They really believe that energy can be revived after expended, They really believe that technology is not restricted by physical laws, she probably doesn't even know what a physical law is.

False hope in technology is unfortunately not just on the left, many many people buy in to the promises that never come about. Technology will not lead to utopia as utopia doesn't exist. I believe that the present idea for this reoccurring phenomenon, comes from our cell phones.

Our little hand held computers, are great fun and good entertainment, that greatly increase productivity via communications. I think these seemingly miraculous devices give many people a false sense that man can do anything. But we can not. Allow me to put our cell phones into some needed perspective.

Take cell phone technology back in time a 500 years and without any doubt, people would say, "this is surely a miracle". (actually some people probably think that today) But we know cell phones are not even close to a miracle. Cell phones are just very small and very powerful computers. They communicates with millions perhaps billions of other computers. Really not a big deal to those who understand how cell phones work and their limits.

I say "us and we" know, but many on the left don't know and don't understand how technology works and its limits. They believe that because the private sector has made these amazing hand held computers that we can do magic, because these devices seem like magic to them. The left and probably others think these "miracles" will translate to other miracles.

To put a cell phone in perspective lets compare it to something that people, 500 years ago, would also call a miracle, refrigeration.

If you were to give a homemaker a choice between their cellphone and their refrigerator (and air conditioning) and made them choose, the homemaker takes the fridge every time. To us a refrigerator is not very hi tech but without refrigeration, a large percentage of men are transformed back to hunters and gathers. I live in Las Vegas, I don't live in Las Vegas if there is no refrigeration (AC), nor does anyone else.

Technology's benefit to human kind is that it increases a persons productivity. Which, if a people were allowed to keep their increase, leads to a higher standard of living. Unfortunately most of our productivity gains are eaten up by bigger and bigger government and regulations.

Productivity is what creates wealth. Cell phone and computers increase productivity by leaps and bounds. But no where close to what the internal combustion engine did / does today. Coal, oil and gas production, are the bases of all production and technology that leads to by far the number one increase in higher productivity. The idea that you can do away with the bases for all productivity and technology's is ludicrous.

Technology, makes our lives better and easier, but to think that it will lead to some type of utopia is laughable.

Aimiel

While I agree that 'magical' thinking seems to have taken over the Democratic Party and many on the left (not to mention a whole generation of youth); I daresay that one day artificial intelligence (AI) will make our lives quite different, though that day hasn't come yet. It will come much sooner than most think and will certainly be misunderstood for quite some time yet, but it will be implemented (already is in many industries). We're not looking at an overnight change but more and more jobs will be relegated to robotics and AI. FedEx has begun tests on a delivery robot and Amazon is (I think) in test phases of drones that will become autonomous soon. There are a scant few jobs in the workplace that a properly designed robot will not be able to do in the near future. Thinking that energy can be renewed or 'clean' is ludicrous. Ocasio-Cortez is deluded, as are many politicians.

tieman55

RE: Artificial Intelligence.

The below definition as copied from Wikipedia.

"AI research as the study of "intelligent agents": any device that perceives its environment and takes actions that maximize its chance of successfully achieving its goals . . . "

Using the above definition of AI from Wikipedia. there isn't and never will be AI. :)

Definition of Perceive 1. become aware or conscious of (something), come to realize or understand

Device's can't perceive and surely machine's don't have their own goals, Machines will never be self-aware and or conscious. All one could ever expect from a machine is that it does what it is programmed to do. If the machine did something other than what it was programmed to do, it would not be good. It would be random and assuredly a mistakes and mistakes are never good.

Next Wikipedia AI definition; "systems ability to correctly interpret external data" When a machine does what you want it to do, then you have done a good job programming the device nothing more.

I do think that some new terminology may have to be developed to define new advances in senor capabilities and the complex algorithms that allow machines to do highly complex tasks, like drive a car. AI is not such a bad term, but they have to come up with a definition for AI that doesn't have the machine becoming "aware and or conscience" and having its own goals. LOL

AI is a sell's pitch to get media coverage and government largess nothing more. It reminds me of "synthetic oil" synthetic oil is good stuff but it is made from crude and it is oil,nothing more. I am surprised they didn't call AI, SI for synthetic intelligence. LOL

As far as jobs that are done by robots, there are many limiting factors to what a robot can do. The two biggest are cost and liability.

Liability, I don't see large trucks being driven without drivers. A fail safe, AKA a driver is far cheaper than the law suits that will ensue from the accidents that all vehicles are involved in. In a court room, the diver v the machine, is a very interesting dynamic. I don't think the jury will be replaced by machines any time soon. LOL If a machine causes a death, lawyers won't be suing the machine. LOL

Cost, machines that do complex operations are not cheap and will never replace low value added operations.

Whatever private industry decides to use robots for, the people who design the robots, make the robots, sell the robots, install the robots, program the robots, maintain and service the robots and operate the robots will assuredly create more wealth (make more money) than the people who did the original mundane task that the robot is now doing. And is a very good thing !