PDA

View Full Version : 80's heavy metal can be fatal...



Knight
February 21st, 2003, 11:16 AM
Once bitten twice shy. (http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast/02/21/deadly.nightclub.fire/index.html)

Knight
February 21st, 2003, 11:25 AM
Here is when Great Whites fireworks were first set off...

Knight
February 21st, 2003, 11:26 AM
As the lead singer is still jammin' the fireworks caught the stage on fire. Check out the bass player on the left, you can tell he knows something is wrong.

Knight
February 21st, 2003, 11:28 AM
As the crowd screams "rock on dude" the blaze is now starting to engulf the building.... what song do you suppose they were playing?

Knight
February 21st, 2003, 11:30 AM
The tragic aftermath....

la rubia
February 21st, 2003, 11:36 AM
I've been watching this all morning on Fox.... from the videos they're showing, it looks like the ceiling was extremely low to be doing something like that. They haven't said so far if they actually had a permit or not, but, *sniff* I smell a big time lawsuit coming on.
I also saw a quick interview with the lead singer, who was remorseful, but also shrugged his shoulders and said,"we've been doing this for 25 years..." and after I saw the video, I thought to myself, "Er... dude.... that ceiling looks mighty low, didja not think about something like that?" *shrugs* Then again, what do I know.

la rubia
February 21st, 2003, 11:38 AM
By the way.... most of you know that I love the '80s- I get pretty nostalgic about it, but I never really could get into Great White. I was never a big fan. What a tragedy.

Knight
February 21st, 2003, 11:54 AM
It doesn't look like time has been kind to the lead singer.

Eireann
February 21st, 2003, 11:58 AM
Wow, that's pretty bad. Some of these shows are so elaborate with pyrotechnics, that the fans probably didn't realize until too late that it wasn't part of the show.

Knight
February 21st, 2003, 12:07 PM
Great White... the early years...

Knight
February 21st, 2003, 12:08 PM
Great White now.... Ahhhhh!!!!!!! :shocked:

la rubia
February 21st, 2003, 12:09 PM
Looks like he had a few too many doughnuts.

Knight
February 21st, 2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Eireann
Wow, that's pretty bad. Some of these shows are so elaborate with pyrotechnics, that the fans probably didn't realize until too late that it wasn't part of the show. I don't think this show was that elaborate. It looked more like a three dollar Chinese fountain.

la rubia
February 21st, 2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Eireann
Wow, that's pretty bad. Some of these shows are so elaborate with pyrotechnics, that the fans probably didn't realize until too late that it wasn't part of the show.
Actually, you're right. Some people interviewed on tv said that they didn't realize until it was almost too late that it wasn't part of the show.

Knight
February 21st, 2003, 12:12 PM
But dude.... chicks dig the fireworks....

la rubia
February 21st, 2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Knight
I don't think this show was that elaborate. It looked more like a three dollar Chinese fountain.
LOL I agree, but if you've had a few beers in ya already (and possibly other stuff) it probably looks really cool.

la rubia
February 21st, 2003, 12:19 PM
Ew... it's not looking good on tv for Great White. The club owner is saying he never gave permission for them to do that, there was no permit, and the owner of The Stone Pony, another bar in New Jersey, just did an interview, saying that not too long ago, Great White did a show at his bar, used the pyrotechnics without telling him ahead of time. *sniff* Can you guys smell the lawsuit coming on?

Knight
February 21st, 2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by la rubia
Ew... it's not looking good on tv for Great White. The club owner is saying he never gave permission for them to do that, there was no permit, and the owner of The Stone Pony, another bar in New Jersey, just did an interview, saying that not too long ago, Great White did a show at his bar, used the pyrotechnics without telling him ahead of time. *sniff* Can you guys smell the lawsuit coming on? Permit...? Permit.....? We dont need no stinking permit!

Not to mention.... chicks dig fireworks!

Knight
February 21st, 2003, 02:22 PM
The story states...
A nightclub erupted in a raging fire during a rock band's pyrotechnics display, killing at least 86 people and injuring more than 180 others as frantic mobs rushed to escape. My nagging question is....

How did they find 266 people that liked Great White enough to come to the show in the first place? :confused:

la rubia
February 21st, 2003, 02:57 PM
LOL My sentiments exactly!

Poly
February 21st, 2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Knight
The story states...My nagging question is....

How did they find 266 people that liked Great White enough to come to the show in the first place? :confused:

Who's Great White?:D

Knight
February 21st, 2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Polycarpadvo


Who's Great White?:D Ya mean who was (http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/20030221/D7PB84900.html) Great White? :D

Knight
February 21st, 2003, 06:41 PM
Great White's performance rider never mentions "fireworks" (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/greatwhite1.html)

Rock on dude... (in jail that is)

Knight
February 21st, 2003, 06:59 PM
Are there rock bands in hell?

Eireann
February 21st, 2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by la rubia

LOL I agree, but if you've had a few beers in ya already (and possibly other stuff) it probably looks really cool.
Great White lyrics:

WARNING: Explitives have not been deleted, by have been ***'d out.

I'm a wasted rock ranger, I live a life of danger
On the road to find a higher high
I don't need no one's affection, all I need is my injection
An out-of-tune Les Paul will get me by
I've been doin' gigs since I was 10, I really can't remember when
I ever had a dollar to my name
My ears are blown, my eyes are red
I got a big hole inside my head
From snorting too much crystal and cocaine
From Kegger's Den to Hootersville, my flaming drinks have topped the bill
A thousand empty bottler ere my name
Endless trains of one-night stands, staring dates with half-a** bands
And all the local groupies lay the same
Well, I coulda had a payin' job, workin' for some f**ked-up slob
Wife and family, true security
But I left that s**t behind for that heavy metal grind
Cuz rock and roll is in my blood to stay (among other things)

Hey, I'm a wasted rock ranger, I live a life of danger
Sing this song and follow it to the end
And when we reach #1, hey, we'll all overdose for fun
And we'll hang out with Jimi and his friends

Although this song was written as a cheeky condemnation of the deadly drug habits of a lot of superstars of the time, it seems relevent in light of La Rubia's post. Yeah, I know I'm dating myself as a child of 80s hair metal to even know that song exists, since it was only released as a b-side to a single.

Eireann
February 21st, 2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Knight
Great White's performance rider never mentions "fireworks" (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/greatwhite1.html)

Rock on dude... (in jail that is)
I doubt the band will face criminal charges. Their tour management might face criminal neglect charges, however.

Vitamin J
February 22nd, 2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Eireann

I doubt the band will face criminal charges. Their tour management might face criminal neglect charges, however. I am not so sure.... this lead singer Jack Russell seems to have played a big part in the entire operation. Did you read the rider that Knight posted a link to?

Eireann
February 22nd, 2003, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by Vitamin J
I am not so sure.... this lead singer Jack Russell seems to have played a big part in the entire operation. Did you read the rider that Knight posted a link to?
Yes, I read it. "Jack Russell's Great White" is the name of the touring band. That's why you see his name constantly repeated throughout the rider. Jack left Great White last year to pursue a solo career. After that, I guess the band called it quits, but Mark Kendall decided to join Jack for a tour of old Great White material, so to avoid legal complications over the rights to the name (although he and Mark founded the band in the late 70s), they called it "Jack Russell's Great White" for the tour. Jack doesn't serve in a managerial capacity, though, nor does he handle the arrangements for the shows. He tells his tour manager what he wants, and Dan takes care of all that. Jack is just the singer.

la rubia
February 22nd, 2003, 09:14 AM
I cannot imagine having the deaths of all of these people on my conscience, because of negligence like this, whether it was the band's fault, the bar owner's fault, or the manager's fault. I can't imagine having to try to live with such a tragedy on my conscience. Not that I feel sorry for them- I can't imagine losing someone in a such a senseless way either. I would be so furious, among other things.

Knight
February 22nd, 2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by la rubia
I cannot imagine having the deaths of all of these people on my conscience, because of negligence like this, whether it was the band's fault, the bar owner's fault, or the manager's fault. I can't imagine having to try to live with such a tragedy on my conscience. Not that I feel sorry for them- I can't imagine losing someone in a such a senseless way either. I would be so furious, among other things. All for the "thrill" of some lame 80's rock.

Eireann
February 22nd, 2003, 04:28 PM
Regarding the band's rider: it's true that it said nothing about pyrotechnics. The band travels with its own pyrotechnic setup. The purpose of the rider is not to itemize what the band will provide, but to itemize what they expect the venue to provide. If they are carrying their own pyro setup, it will not appear on the band's rider.

Knight
February 23rd, 2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Eireann
Regarding the band's rider: it's true that it said nothing about pyrotechnics. The band travels with its own pyrotechnic setup. The purpose of the rider is not to itemize what the band will provide, but to itemize what they expect the venue to provide. If they are carrying their own pyro setup, it will not appear on the band's rider. Yea.... you may be right. We shall see.

Goose
February 24th, 2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Knight
All for the "thrill" of some lame 80's rock. Knight, weren't you in a band? :D

Knight
February 25th, 2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Goose
Knight, weren't you in a band? :D Yes.. but we weren't no lame heavy metal band!

And we never lit off any three dollar chinese fountains in any of our gigs. :D

Goose
February 25th, 2003, 02:44 PM
hehe
What did you play?

Knight
February 25th, 2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Goose
hehe
What did you play? I played (I use that term loosely) guitar and I sang. (badly) :shocked:

Goose
February 25th, 2003, 02:54 PM
Maybe you could team up with UpRoar...

Knight
February 25th, 2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Goose
Maybe you could team up with UpRoar... Nooo Noo.......... they have a good thing goin' I wouldn't want to destroy that! :D

Knight
February 25th, 2003, 05:06 PM
Well it looks like things are about to get started.....

http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/20030225/D7PDSK1O0.html



http://www.theologyonline.com/roll.gif

\o/\o/
February 26th, 2003, 06:34 AM
I think Knight is a closet head-banger.
:doh:

How about adding to the animated smilies one of a metal head-banger? Someone with the know-how, see if there is one on the Net and post it here.

(For some reason, I think of the 80's video by Judas Priest of the song Hot Rockin' and its head-bangers. This is the video where fire catches onto the vocalist's microphone and the guitarists' guitars.)