No “new law”

jzeidler

Mat 5:29-30

"So if your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one of your body parts than to have your whole body thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away from you. It is better for you to lose one of your body parts than to have your whole body go into hell.”"

If this is passage is to be "new law" why does no one take these verses seriously and act them out? In the old law the ordinance was given and if it was broken the sentence was carried out. No one seems to do that here. Maybe they don't really believe it to be real "new law". Or maybe they are unwilling to put their money where their mouth is.

My answer is that it is not "new law". Jesus is not giving new ordinances, therefore he is not giving new sentencing to be carried out. Jesus is showing you that if you want to obtain justification through works of the law you must go above and beyond what the old law states. This is not given so people try harder. It is given so people give up on their performance and fall at the feet of the cross and say, "I can't do it."

jzeidler

I like how you said that.

Thanks Tambora, I’ve been working through what I was taught as a child and what I understand now. I’ve come to believe that many churches are not teaching this passage correctly. In fact I believe they are taking it out of context. The whole context is about how a person’s righteousness must exceed that of the Pharisees. That is impossible if you are to expect your righteousness to come from your own action. It’s so impossible that Christ gives this passage to prove his point that it is impossible. Our righteousness that surpasses the Pharisees has to come from a higher power and a more perfect person than the Law and man. This is where Jesus comes in. God made flesh comes to fulfill the law, accept the greatest punishment for breaking the law (the law we broke not him), and then accredit to us his perfect righteousness after him paying for our unrighteousness.

When we take a look at the gospel ( and really the Bible as a whole) I believe we see a beautiful picture of God’s transcending love for mankind that he would accomplish everything on our behalf and ask us simply to believe that he is good and did that for us and let that truth guide our life.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned

"So if your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one of your body parts than to have your whole body thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away from you. It is better for you to lose one of your body parts than to have your whole body go into hell.”"

If this is passage is to be "new law" why does no one take these verses seriously and act them out? In the old law the ordinance was given and if it was broken the sentence was carried out. No one seems to do that here. Maybe they don't really believe it to be real "new law". Or maybe they are unwilling to put their money where their mouth is.

My answer is that it is not "new law". Jesus is not giving new ordinances, therefore he is not giving new sentencing to be carried out. Jesus is showing you that if you want to obtain justification through works of the law you must go above and beyond what the old law states. This is not given so people try harder. It is given so people give up on their performance and fall at the feet of the cross and say, "I can't do it."

I said
Your missing the point. It says "IF". Your hand or your eye cant cause you to sin they cant do nothing without something inside of you telling them to do so.. But an emotion can push your hand or your eye. So cut off the emotion and cast it from you. Crucify your emotions and feelings.

[Gal 5:18-21, 24
18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness,
20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies,
21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told [you] in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. ...
24 And those [who are] Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

daqq

If a false witness breathing out lies shall rise up against another to testify against him that which is wrong: then both of those, between whom the controversy is, shall stand before the Door of the Most High and before the Priests and the Elohim-Judges. And the Judges shall make diligent inquisition: and behold, if the witness be a false witness breathing out lies, and has testified falsely against his brother; then you shall do unto him just as he had thought to have done to his brother. In this manner shall you put away the evil from your midst. And the remnant shall hear, and fear, and shall no more continue to commit any such evil as this in your midst, (for the kingdom of Elohim is within you, Luk17:20,21). And your eye being single shall not pity: soul for soul, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot. Cut them off before they choke the Seed of the Word out of the soil of your heart and you become unfruitful.

jzeidler

It’s interesting how people will shoot you down and talk ill of you simply for focusing on Jesus’ work on the cross.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meshak

BANNED
Banned
It’s interesting how people will shoot you down and talk ill of you simply for focusing on Jesus’ work on the cross.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of you seem to believe you don't have to obey Jesus because He did all the work for us.

nothing new, friend.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Take a look at the board. There is no shortage of this subject, day after day as if people don't appreciate Jesus dies on the cross.

jzeidler

If you appreciate Jesus you would listen what He says.

Have you cut your hand off or gouged out your eye yet? This is the logical conclusion and outcome of this passage if this is new law for the Christian.

It seems that you are coming to this conversation with the presupposition that those who want to let the Holy Spirit change them from the inside through the truth of the Christian’s position as sons and beloved because of Christ’s work on the cross are somehow cheapening Christ’s words and work on the cross. Is that accurate? If so please explain why that is your position, I am interested in knowing.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Have you cut your hand off or gouged out your eye yet? This is the logical conclusion and outcome of this passage if this is new law for the Christian.

What does this have to do your "Jesus did all the work for us so we don't have to do anything" doctrin?

jzeidler

What does this have to do your "Jesus did all the work for us so we don't have to do anything" doctrin?

I’m asking you that because if the passage is indeed new law, as I believe your argument is, then in order to be a proper follower of Christ you indeed would have to cut your hand off and gouge your eyes out.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
I’m asking you that because if the passage is indeed new law, as I believe your argument is, then in order to be a proper follower of Christ you indeed would have to cut your hand off and gouge your eyes out.

If I reason the scripture like you do, I will be agreeing with you.

keep it to yourself.

jzeidler

why do you ask?

I’m interested in seeing how others come to their conclusions. I have my reasons for what I believe this passage says and have laid out one of those reasons. But I know others have come to different conclusions.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
I’m interested in seeing how others come to their conclusions. I have my reasons for what I believe this passage says and have laid out one of those reasons. But I know others have come to different conclusions.

Most of the members here have the similar kind of faith with you.

You are not bringing any new.