Shalom. There is one God, Yahveh.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
What verse says Yahveh?

The name is a tradition of men, it is not scriptural.

But you're right, there is one God just like the U.S. has one Supreme Court.

Shalom. The Hebrew, from right to left, for the name of God is יהוה

This is a Yod, a Hey, a Vav, and a Hey. There are no vowels indicated for God's name in Hebrew. The pronunciation is a Hebrew pronunciation. Hebrew does not have any letters that are vowels. Vowels have been added to words other than the name of God. But you can pronounce God's name as Yahveh. This may be the correct pronunciation. It is God's name as I know it. It is how I pronounce God's name. HaShem means the name. Sometimes Adonai is substituted for God's name.

Shalom.

Jacob

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Yod Hey Vav Hey (YHVH) is not the same as Yahveh and it is not the same as Jehovah.
Shalom.

If you are saying YaHVeH, okay. I wrote Yahveh. YHVH is Yod Hey Vav Hey. Hebrew is read from right to left.

God's name is

יהוה

This is, from right to left, the Hebrew letters (pronounced) Yod Hey Vav Hey, or in English, YHVH, from where we and I get Yahveh.

Shalom.

Jacob

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
This is, from right to left, the Hebrew letters (pronounced) Yod Hey Vav Hey, or in English, YHVH, from where we and I get Yahveh.

And other people get Jehovah, neither is biblical.

Why don't you knock off the shalom stuff?

It's distracting.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
And other people get Jehovah, neither is biblical.

Why don't you knock off the shalom stuff?

It's distracting.
Shalom.

Shalom means peace. I do not know how you think that I have offended you. God's name is Yahveh, which is Hebrew.

There is no J in Hebrew.

YHVH is the English letters for the Hebrew letters Yod Hey Vav Hey.

יהוה

Shalom.

Jacob

TrevorL

Greetings Jamie,
Right, the J is an English substitute for Y.
If you prefer you may use Yehovah.
One's good as the other.
Have you read Rotherham's introduction where he explains his use of Yahweh in his translation and suggests the use of Jehovah is inappropriate as it was first used incorrectly and because of a misunderstanding.

Kind regards
Trevor

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Greetings Jamie,Have you read Rotherham's introduction where he explains his use of Yahweh in his translation and suggests the use of Jehovah is inappropriate as it was first used incorrectly and because of a misunderstanding.

Neither is biblical.

TrevorL

Greetings again Jamie,
Neither is biblical.
This depends on what you define as Biblical. By my understanding of Biblical, Jehovah is not Biblical as it is suggested that it was first used in the Middle Ages. As far as the Bible is concerned Jehovah is used a few times in the KJV, but YHWH is usually translated as LORD. In Rotherham's translation he uses Yahweh throughout. What is your definition of "biblical"?

Kind regards
Trevor

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
What is your definition of "biblical"?

I use English versions of the Bible supported by various Bible aids such as the Jewish Encyclopedia.

English uses many words without vowels, but YHVH was unnecessarily transliterated as LORD, not Yahweh.

I see YHVH as a standalone word like TV or Dr or Ms.

I understand that YHVH is a word referring to an inherently eternal person.

Neither humans nor angelic beings are inherently eternal.

TrevorL

Greetings again Jamie,
I use English versions of the Bible supported by various Bible aids such as the Jewish Encyclopedia.
English uses many words without vowels, but YHVH was unnecessarily transliterated as LORD, not Yahweh.
I see YHVH as a standalone word like TV or Dr or Ms.
I understand that YHVH is a word referring to an inherently eternal person.
Neither humans nor angelic beings are inherently eternal.
Yes I see it as important to recognise that the word YHVH occurs many times in the OT and different translations represent this in English in various ways. If you were in a meeting, and you were called upon to read out loud before a speaker gave an address, on say Isaiah 50 (as I was called upon two weeks ago), where the Divine Name occurs in Isaiah 50:1, 4, 5, 7 what would you read, and possibly bearing on this what translation would you use? Would you stop and spell out the letters Y - H - V - H on each occasion?

Kind regards
Trevor

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Greetings again Jamie, Yes I see it as important to recognise that the word YHVH occurs many times in the OT and different translations represent this in English in various ways. If you were in a meeting, and you were called upon to read out loud before a speaker gave an address, on say Isaiah 50 (as I was called upon two weeks ago), where the Divine Name occurs in Isaiah 50:1, 4, 5, 7 what would you read, and possibly bearing on this what translation would you use? Would you stop and spell out the letters Y - H - V - H on each occasion?

I would use the word Eternal.

TrevorL

Greetings again Jamie,
I would use the word Eternal.
But that is unBiblical. You are replacing the Word of God with your own assessment. If Jesus read Isaiah 50 at Nazareth in his earlier years would he have pronounced YHWH, even if his contemporaries had fallen into the bad habit of not pronouncing the Name?

Kind regards
Trevor

TrevorL

Greetings again Jamie,
Eternal is what YHVH is referring to. Only God has eternal life.
He is all-powerful as well, and many other attributes, but He only has One Name and He chose to reveal His Name. But if that is what you like, then you are welcome to it. Another aspect is Isaiah 12:2 where we have Yah Yahweh. I suppose you could read Eternal, Eternal or Eter, Eternal.

Kind regards
Trevor

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Greetings again Jamie,He is all-powerful as well, and many other attributes, but He only has One Name and He chose to reveal His Name.

Since the Most High is not a Hebrew why would he have a Hebrew name such as Yahweh or one of the many variations?

TrevorL

Greetings again jamie,
Since the Most High is not a Hebrew why would he have a Hebrew name such as Yahweh or one of the many variations?
Are you denying that God revealed His Name to Moses? Possibly God chose His Name in Hebrew because He chose to reveal Himself to the nation of Israel who spoke Hebrew. Also He chose to reveal His Name and the meaning of His Name at the time when He would deliver Israel out of Egypt. The meaning of His Name is intimately connected with this deliverance as I have suggested in another thread.

In the NT the emphasis is not on the Hebrew Name of God, but the relationship between Jesus and God, and hence we see God the Father revealed, and we see our Lord Jesus Christ as the Son of God.

Kind regards
Trevor

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
In the NT the emphasis is not on the Hebrew Name of God, but the relationship between Jesus and God, and hence we see God the Father revealed, and we see our Lord Jesus Christ as the Son of God.

What Hebrew name of God did Jesus use?