ECT "The Body" 1 Corinthians

Tnkrbl123!

Hey so just looking for some academic Christian help on understanding some scriptures particulary about "the body" in Paul's letter to the Corinthians. The term "body" (Greek- soma) takes on a number of aspects, meanings, and references in this letter.
How do these various aspects and meanings hold together and why is Paul so foused on the body.
What is the significance of the body for Paul in relation to the gospel?

Just looking for some different views to help expand my own thinking. We are all limited in our ideas so its great to get input from others.

Interplanner

The body is how Christ is present in the world, or at least one way He is. I think it is the Jesus who was sent to be here in Acts 3, because of its distinction with his 'remaining' in heaven until the last day.

Danoh

The body is how Christ is present in the world, or at least one way He is. I think it is the Jesus who was sent to be here in Acts 3, because of its distinction with his 'remaining' in heaven until the last day.

You're off base - Acts 3 is referring to that day when the Lord returns not only to deliver Israel from their enemies as a nation, but ALSO; to blot out their CORPORATE sin (their sin - as A Nation - the ONLY Nation in all of history ever directly under God - was why they were under their enemies reign to begin with, see Daniel 9's prayer).

Luke 1:70 As he spake by the mouth of his holy prophets, which have been since the world began: 1:71 That we should be saved from our enemies, and from the hand of all that hate us; 1:72 To perform the mercy promised to our fathers, and to remember his holy covenant; 1:73 The oath which he sware to our father Abraham, 1:74 That he would grant unto us, that we being delivered out of the hand of our enemies might serve him without fear, 1:75 In holiness and righteousness before him, all the days of our life. 1:77 To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins, 1:78 Through the tender mercy of our God; whereby the dayspring from on high hath visited us, 1:79 To give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace.

Luke 24:19 And he said unto them, What things? And they said unto him, Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, which was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people: 24:20 And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him. 24:21 But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done. 24:25 Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken: 24:26 Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory? 24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

Luke 21:24 And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled. 21:25 And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring; 21:26 Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken. 21:27 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Acts 3:13 The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go. 3:14 But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you; 3:15 And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses. 3:16 And his name through faith in his name hath made this man strong, whom ye see and know: yea, the faith which is by him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all. 3:17 And now, brethren, I wot that through ignorance ye did it, as did also your rulers. 3:18 But those things, which God before had shewed by the mouth of all his prophets, that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled. 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; 3:20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: 3:21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began. 3:22 For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you. 3:23 And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people. 3:24 Yea, and all the prophets from Samuel and those that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewise foretold of these days. 3:25 Ye are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed. 3:26 Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.

The Body of Christ had not yet even begun.

DAN P

Hey so just looking for some academic Christian help on understanding some scriptures particulary about "the body" in Paul's letter to the Corinthians. The term "body" (Greek- soma) takes on a number of aspects, meanings, and references in this letter.
How do these various aspects and meanings hold together and why is Paul so foused on the body.
What is the significance of the body for Paul in relation to the gospel?

Just looking for some different views to help expand my own thinking. We are all limited in our ideas so its great to get input from others.

Hi and all those who are really saved are BAPTIZO /PLACED into the B O C BY THE Holy Spirit !!

Gal 3:28 sats that all that are PLACED into the B O C ARE / GREEK PRESENT TENSE and means that all are OSAS because we are CONTINUOUSLY " IN CHRIST " and there are over 100 x and a PHARSE used only bt Paul !!

This is a short answer , so ask me , if you have any questions !!

dan p

Tnkrbl123!

Hi and all those who are really saved are BAPTIZO /PLACED into the B O C BY THE Holy Spirit !!

Gal 3:28 sats that all that are PLACED into the B O C ARE / GREEK PRESENT TENSE and means that all are OSAS because we are CONTINUOUSLY " IN CHRIST " and there are over 100 x and a PHARSE used only bt Paul !!

dan p

ya sorry I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say here. I am unfamiliar with the acronyms you are using and I think that even if I did know what the acronyms were it doesn't make much sense in pertaining to my question. I am just looking for some academic ideas and specific examples to help expound on an assignment I have on that topic in Corinthians. I have done my research on it but I am looking for outside thoughts and a fresh perspective in case I have overlooked something or need to expand my research on particular ideas

Tnkrbl123!

The Gospel is that we can be individual members of the Body, and the Body has wonderful things in store for her.
if you read my last reply you will see what I am looking for. I understand the concept of the body of the church in Corinthians, I am looking for help expanding on that research and looking for new ideas that I may have missed or a perspective different from my own. It definitely requires more than a single sentence answer. But thanks

Last edited:

Eagles Wings

ya sorry I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say here. I am unfamiliar with the acronyms you are using and I think that even if I did know what the acronyms were it doesn't make much sense in pertaining to my question. I am just looking for some academic ideas and specific examples to help expound on an assignment I have on that topic in Corinthians. I have done my research on it but I am looking for outside thoughts and a fresh perspective in case I have overlooked something or need to expand my research on particular ideas
Nice avatar.

What kind of class are you in?

Tnkrbl123!

Nice avatar.

What kind of class are you in?

Thanks! I finally got enough status on here to be able to put one up. Its the sunrise from the top of Mt. Bromo, Indonesia at 05 35am. It was a 4 hour hike through the night but so beautiful. The volcano/mountain you can see is called Mt. Agun. God's creation is overwhelmingly beautiful. Its a class on the Epistles of Paul, and I am just trying to mine new insights if possible.

Tnkrbl123!

dan p

ps.... you just quotes Galatians 3:8 but my question, and title of the post is the idea of the body in CORINTHIANS lol

Tnkrbl123!

You're off base - Acts 3 is referring to that day when the Lord returns not only to deliver Israel from their enemies as a nation, but ALSO; to blot out their CORPORATE sin (their sin - as A Nation - the ONLY Nation in all of history ever directly under God - was why they were under their enemies reign to begin with, see Daniel 9's prayer).

Luke 1:70 As he spake by the mouth of his holy prophets, which have been since the world began: 1:71 That we should be saved from our enemies, and from the hand of all that hate us; 1:72 To perform the mercy promised to our fathers, and to remember his holy covenant; 1:73 The oath which he sware to our father Abraham, 1:74 That he would grant unto us, that we being delivered out of the hand of our enemies might serve him without fear, 1:75 In holiness and righteousness before him, all the days of our life. 1:77 To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins, 1:78 Through the tender mercy of our God; whereby the dayspring from on high hath visited us, 1:79 To give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace.

Luke 24:19 And he said unto them, What things? And they said unto him, Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, which was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people: 24:20 And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him. 24:21 But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done. 24:25 Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken: 24:26 Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory? 24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

Luke 21:24 And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled. 21:25 And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring; 21:26 Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken. 21:27 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Acts 3:13 The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go. 3:14 But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you; 3:15 And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses. 3:16 And his name through faith in his name hath made this man strong, whom ye see and know: yea, the faith which is by him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all. 3:17 And now, brethren, I wot that through ignorance ye did it, as did also your rulers. 3:18 But those things, which God before had shewed by the mouth of all his prophets, that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled. 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; 3:20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: 3:21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began. 3:22 For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you. 3:23 And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people. 3:24 Yea, and all the prophets from Samuel and those that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewise foretold of these days. 3:25 Ye are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed. 3:26 Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.

The Body of Christ had not yet even begun.

ps.... I asked the question specifically about the body of Christ in the Epistle to the CORINTHIANS, not the book of ACTS or LUKE... and your post here does not mention anything about the Body of Christ.....?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The term "body" (Greek- soma) takes on a number of aspects, meanings, and references in this letter.
Can you give some examples?

Why is Paul so focused on the body? What is the significance of the body for Paul in relation to the gospel?
Galatians 2:7 But on the contrary, when they saw that the gospel for the uncircumcised had been committed to me, as the gospel for the circumcised was to Peter.​

Paul has a radically different message from what came previously.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
if you read my last reply you will see what I am looking for. I understand the concept of the body of the church in Corinthians, I am looking for help expanding on that research and looking for new ideas that I may have missed or a perspective different from my own. It definitely requires more than a single sentence answer. But thanks
Some people might be surfing the web looking for an answer to the same or a similar question, it's not all about you and your precious assignment, that's artificial and unrelated to any spiritual searching that's going on outside of your college dorm room. Sorry for your confusion.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Then why don't you believe the Church is Jesus' Bride, and that in being His Bride, that is precisely---and mysteriously (Eph5:32KJV)---how she is His Body?
That passage doesn't explicitly say the church is "Christ's bride" — in fact, it doesn't use the word "bride" at all. I'm looking at the pronoun, αὐτός, used on Blue Letter Bible. It uses αὐτός, the pronoun for a male in the word-by-word breakdown of verse 25, but if you look in the Greek text of the passage at the top of the breakdown, it uses the "απηή" version, "she."

Ephesians 5:21-31
Instructions for Christian Households
Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.
Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for [απηή] to make [pronoun suppressed] holy, cleansing [pronoun suppressed] by the washing with water through the word, and to present [αὐτὴν] to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— for we are members of his body. “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.” This is a profound mystery — but I am talking about Christ and the church. However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.​

The NKJV uses "her." The KJV uses "it."

I know there are a few passages out there that make it look like the church could be referred to as female, but I work from the premise that Christ's body is a male body. :)

This standard of reference is useful — although it looks like I'm going to have to revise my ideas — because then references to "the church" are kept utterly separate from references to "Israel," which is most certainly described using feminine terms.

Last edited:

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
That passage doesn't explicitly say the church is Christ's bride, and the pronoun used to refer to the church is gender neutral.

I know there are a few passages out there that make it look like the church could be female, but I work from the premise that Christ's body is a male body. :)

This standard of reference is useful — although I'm open to being shown wrong about the gender thing — because references to "the church" are kept utterly separate from references to "Israel," which is most certainly described using feminine terms.
FWIW, a lot of things fell into place mentally for me once I began to posit that the Church is a lady. :idunno: I recommend trying it on for size anyway. :)
:e4e: