The bible is man-made.

Atheist19

I believe the bible is man-made, to me it quite obviously is. The superstitious tales about the existence of giants (Deuteronomy 3:11), witches and necromancers that could reanimate the dead (Deuteronomy 18:9–12, Leviticus 20:27, 1 Samuel 28, etc.), and nephilims - the product of a divine being and a human woman (Genesis 6:1-4) all point to the bible being written by fear ridden, ignorant men in the bronze age. The fables in the bible are ones only the superstitious COULD believe; from Elisha being taken to heaven on a "chariot of fire" with "horses of fire" in a "whirlwind" (2 Kings 2:11), to Joshua stopping the moon and sun (Joshua 10:14) (this clearly shows the ignorance of the time; why not just stop the Earth from rotating?), these stories are clearly fictional.
Then, of course, is the way that the bible treats women; do you genuinely think a god would create men and women equal but then write in the bible that women are the property of men (Genesis 3:16, Exodus 20:17, Exodus 21:7, Deuteronomy 22:28-29, etc.)? The way the bible depicts women is truly appalling, and it has warranted men to rule over women for centuries. Likewise, the bible also condones slavery (Leviticus 25:44-46, Exodus 21:2-6, Exodus 21:7-11, Exodus 21:20-21, Ephesians 6:5, etc.) which is just as detestable.
To add to all this, there are many, many, many contradictions throughout the book. Though there are too many to really put in this short post, but I will provide a few. First, does god tempt people? According to James 1:13, he does not. However, everybody knows the story of when god tempted Abraham in Genesis 22:1. Next is the radical differences with the genealogy of Jesus displayed on both Matthew 1:16 and Luke 3:23. I shall end with the number of people who saw Jesus’s resurrection. It was 1 woman, according to John 20:1. 2 women, says Mathew 28:1. 3 women says Mark 16:1. Luke 24:10 doesn’t give an actual number, but it says at least 5 women were there. Like I said, there are countless others, but I don’t want to write a novel.
Finally, there’s the problem with the story itself. All powerful, all knowing god created everything, and after years of god slaughtering hundreds of thousands of people (1 Chronicles 21, Deuteronomy 3, Joshua 6, 2 Kings 10:18-27, etc.) because of the sin HE created (Isaiah 45:7), he decides the only way to forgive himself (Genesis 1:27) was to sacrifice himself (John 10:30-33) to himself. As Thomas Paine put it, “it is impossible to conceive a story more derogatory to the Almighty, more inconsistent with his wisdom, and more contradictory to his power, than this story is.”
(Please refrain from responding with anything along the lines of “You’re a heathen and are going to burn in hell” or “God is going to enjoy burning you!”. I wrote this to have a semi-intelligent discussion rather, than having hate being spewed at me)

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I believe the bible is man-made, to me it quite obviously is. The superstitious tales about the existence of giants (Deuteronomy 3:11), witches and necromancers that could reanimate the dead (Deuteronomy 18:9–12, Leviticus 20:27, 1 Samuel 28, etc.), and nephilims - the product of a divine being and a human woman (Genesis 6:1-4) all point to the bible being written by fear ridden, ignorant men in the bronze age. The fables in the bible are ones only the superstitious COULD believe; from Elisha being taken to heaven on a "chariot of fire" with "horses of fire" in a "whirlwind" (2 Kings 2:11), to Joshua stopping the moon and sun (Joshua 10:14) (this clearly shows the ignorance of the time; why not just stop the Earth from rotating?), these stories are clearly fictional.
Then, of course, is the way that the bible treats women; do you genuinely think a god would create men and women equal but then write in the bible that women are the property of men (Genesis 3:16, Exodus 20:17, Exodus 21:7, Deuteronomy 22:28-29, etc.)? The way the bible depicts women is truly appalling, and it has warranted men to rule over women for centuries. Likewise, the bible also condones slavery (Leviticus 25:44-46, Exodus 21:2-6, Exodus 21:7-11, Exodus 21:20-21, Ephesians 6:5, etc.) which is just as detestable.
To add to all this, there are many, many, many contradictions throughout the book. Though there are too many to really put in this short post, but I will provide a few. First, does god tempt people? According to James 1:13, he does not. However, everybody knows the story of when god tempted Abraham in Genesis 22:1. Next is the radical differences with the genealogy of Jesus displayed on both Matthew 1:16 and Luke 3:23. I shall end with the number of people who saw Jesus’s resurrection. It was 1 woman, according to John 20:1. 2 women, says Mathew 28:1. 3 women says Mark 16:1. Luke 24:10 doesn’t give an actual number, but it says at least 5 women were there. Like I said, there are countless others, but I don’t want to write a novel.
Finally, there’s the problem with the story itself. All powerful, all knowing god created everything, and after years of god slaughtering hundreds of thousands of people (1 Chronicles 21, Deuteronomy 3, Joshua 6, 2 Kings 10:18-27, etc.) because of the sin HE created (Isaiah 45:7), he decides the only way to forgive himself (Genesis 1:27) was to sacrifice himself (John 10:30-33) to himself. As Thomas Paine put it, “it is impossible to conceive a story more derogatory to the Almighty, more inconsistent with his wisdom, and more contradictory to his power, than this story is.”
(Please refrain from responding with anything along the lines of “You’re a heathen and are going to burn in hell” or “God is going to enjoy burning you!”. I wrote this to have a semi-intelligent discussion rather, than having hate being spewed at me)
All good points, and all good reasons to suspect the Christian faith.

And if the Christian faith is true, then it's also all irrelevant.

john w

Hall of Fame
Translation of this "thread:" I, the obviously "god"like atheist, do not understand the bible....What I do not understand, I will not believe. Thus, the bible is wrong, not me. It is called humanism, as what I understand/believe, determines veracity. Thus, there is no hell....................................................

I wrote this to have a semi-intelligent discussion rather, than having hate being spewed at me

"semi-intelligent"-"semi" being the operative word.And, no, you are a dishonest seeker-we've seen it before...for thousands of years. We are bewildered by you-just stunned. Please, teach us. Please?

Thanks for checking in, as it is a heart problem, not a "brain" problem, with you morons, as it is written:

Psalm 14:1 KJV The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Psalm 53:1 KJV The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Corrupt are they, and have done abominable iniquity: there is none that doeth good.

Enjoy the "All Smokers Welcome" destination, of "hell," which obviously does not exist.

chair

It's a hell of a book, and I wish you'd leave my Iron Age ancestors out of it (Iron- not Bronze). I guess you are just jealous that your ancestors couldn't produce anything as good.

Atheist19

Translation of this "thread:" I, the obviously "god"like atheist, do not understand the bible....What I do not understand, I will not believe. Thus, the bible is wrong, not me. It is called humanism, as what I understand/believe, determines veracity. Thus, there is no hell....................................................

Thanks for checking in, as it is a heart problem, not a "brain" problem, with you morons, as it is written:

Psalm 14:1 KJV The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Psalm 53:1 KJV The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Corrupt are they, and have done abominable iniquity: there is none that doeth good.

Enjoy the "All Smokers Welcome" destination, of "hell," which obviously does not exist.

I see you have no actual rebuttal to any of my arguments.I assume you didn't actually read my thread, and instead saw me pointing out actual errors in the bible and closed your mind just that much more.

Atheist19

That it is!!! A good chunk of the Old Testament was (supposedly) written in the bronze age, but you are correct, the New testament was written in the iron age. Whoops! (Disregarding the fact we have the same ancestors) Of course mine couldn't produce something better, up until a few hundred years ago the religious would murder anyone whose ideas differed from theirs!

Atheist19

It's a hell of a book, and I wish you'd leave my Iron Age ancestors out of it (Iron- not Bronze). I guess you are just jealous that your ancestors couldn't produce anything as good.

That it is!!! A good chunk of the Old Testament was (supposedly) written in the bronze age, but you are correct, the New testament was written in the iron age. Whoops! (Disregarding the fact we have the same ancestors) Of course mine couldn't produce something better, up until a few hundred years ago the religious would murder anyone whose ideas differed from theirs!

chair

Check your history. The Israelites were early Iron Age. The patriarchs may have lived in the Bronze Age, but they didn't write the Bible.

Atheist19

Check your history. The Israelites were early Iron Age. The patriarchs may have lived in the Bronze Age, but they didn't write the Bible.

I'm not too concerned with the timing, you may be right. The point I was making was that they lived in a time of ignorance, and couldn't logically explain the world around them, so they turned to religion.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
The Bible is clearly superstitious myth!

And look how they treat women. Misogyny!

Contradictions, contradictions everywhere!

Your God is EVIL!!!!!!!!!

Just in case you missed the points of the OP :rotfl:

john w

Hall of Fame
I see you have no actual rebuttal to any of my arguments.I assume you didn't actually read my thread, and instead saw me pointing out actual errors in the bible and closed your mind just that much more.

No, son, your "arguments" have been asked, for decades, or longer, by those who are more intelligent than you, and correspondingly answered, for decades, or longer, by those that may be smarter than me. You just don't like the answers, that refute you, and then just come up with more trap questions, rabbit trails, that are not designed, to seek truth, but allegedly "prove" that you are right, dishonest seeker.

I read your "thread," and dismiss it as standard fare. None of you anti-thinkers have ever shown any errors in the scripture-NADA. Do not confuse your lack of intelligence, due to your heart problem, of 2 Cor. 4:4 KJV, with any alleged errors in the book. Others, smarter than you, have tried, and have failed, for years, as you will.The LORD God is correct, not you. Accept it. You will, eventually, when you bow down, to the Lord Jesus Christ.

Can you dig it, Col. Klink? Good.

Atheist19

No, son, your "arguments" have been asked, for decades, or longer, by those who are more intelligent than you, and correspondingly answered, for decades, or longer, by those that may be smarter than me. You just don't like the answers, that refute you, and then just come up with more trap questions, rabbit trails, that are not designed, to seek truth, but allegedly "prove" that you are right, dishonest seeker.

I read your "thread," and dismiss it as standard fare. None of you anti-thinkers have ever shown any errors in the scripture-NADA. Do not confuse your lack of intelligence, due to your heart problem, of 2 Cor. 4:4 KJV, with any alleged errors in the book. Others, smarter than you, have tried, and have failed, for years, as you will.The LORD God is correct, not you. Accept it. You will, eventually, when you bow down, to the Lord Jesus Christ.

Well I see you are trying so I'll give ya that. But you still have not said why ANYTHING I said in my thread was wrong. You seem to think of yourself as quite intelligent, so go on then, actually have a logical discussion with me. Tell me why all of those contradictions should be dismissed, tell me why god condones slavery and why he says women are property. Shed some light on my dim witted atheist mind.

Atheist19

The Bible is clearly superstitious myth!

And look how they treat women. Misogyny!

Contradictions, contradictions everywhere!

Your God is EVIL!!!!!!!!!

Just in case you missed the points of the OP :rotfl:

You forgot about god condoning slavery, and the ridiculous stories only man could create. But you go most of it!

john w

Hall of Fame
Well I see you are trying so I'll give ya that. But you still have not said why ANYTHING I said in my thread was wrong. You seem to think of yourself as quite intelligent, so go on then, actually have a logical discussion with me. Tell me why all of those contradictions should be dismissed, tell me why god condones slavery and why he says women are property. Shed some light on my dim witted atheist mind.

Pay attention:

Can you dig it, Col. Klink? I know it is quite deep.....Ask God to give you a brain...Make that change your heart...

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I'm sorry?

No, you don't have to be. I take it you are an atheist.

If anyone is asking you to believe the Bible, just ignore them. It's not for you.

Only a few are being chosen for God's kingdom at this time.

If he wants you he will call you.

Atheist19

Pay attention:

Ok... you seem to not have understood what I was saying. I'll say it another way then. If my questions have already been answered before, it shouldn't be too difficult for you to answer them. So go on. Unless you just replied to my post to show me that you can't answer them?

Atheist19

No, you don't have to be. I take it you are an atheist.

If anyone is asking you to believe the Bible, just ignore them. It's not for you.

Only a few are being chosen for God's kingdom at this time.

If he wants you he will call you.

If you are hearing god calling you, I'd suggest visiting a psychiatrist. Some medicine will help the voices, that paired with extensive therapy.