What Makes America Great`

northwye

What Makes America Great`

"I went at your bidding, and passed along their thoroughfares of trade. I ascended their mountains and went down their valleys. I visited their manufactories, their commercial markets, and emporiums of trade. I entered their judicial courts and legislative halls. But I sought everywhere in vain for the secret of their success, until I entered the church. It was there, as I listened to the soul-equalizing and soul-elevating principles of the Gospel of Christ, as they fell from Sabbath to Sabbath upon the masses of the people, that I learned why America was great and free, and why France was a slave.."From: Empty Pews & Selections from Other Sermons on Timely Topics, Madison Clinton Peters; Zeising, 1886, page 35.

This is often attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville. In his 1835 Book, Democracy In America, de Tocqueville did say "...liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith;"

Peters said that what makes America great is the preaching of the "
soul-elevating principles of the Gospel of Christ." And de Tocqueville said that liberty cannot be established without morality which is dependent on faith.

We can say that knowledge of and belief in the Truth of the Gospel of Christ - all the counsel of God (Acts 20:27)- is necessary for the establishment of morality in society as taught by its Christians.

"And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth." John 17: 19

We can be sanctified by the Truth of the Gospel of Christ,the entire counsel of God,and that sanctification is the basis of morality which can be communicated to the people of a nation.

But if the churches are,after the falling away of II Thessalonians 2:3-4 teaching false doctrines instead of the Truth,then the churches have lost their spiritual strength and cannot teach a nation morality.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
What Makes America Great. That's actually a great question. Its so good in fact that I did not read your post for fear it would ruin the great title.

I actually highlighted the title and Googled it: https://www.google.com/search?q=Wha...=chrome..69i57j69i60&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Google being what it is, most of the top results were crap, but the top one was good:

DINESH D'SOUZA / 10 GREAT THINGS: WHAT TO LOVE ABOUT THE UNITED STATES
http://www.dineshdsouza.com/news/10-great-things-what-to-love-about-the-united-states/

I like this one in particular:

In America the destiny of the young is not given to them, but created by them. Not long ago, I asked myself, “What would my life have been like if I had never come to the United States?” If I had remained in India, I would probably have lived my whole life within a five-mile radius of where I was born. I would undoubtedly have married a woman of my identical religious and socioeconomic background. I would almost certainly have become a medical doctor, or an engineer, or a computer programmer. I would have socialized entirely within my ethic community. I would have a whole set of opinions that could be predicted in advance; indeed, they would not be very different from what my father believed, or his father before him. In sum, my destiny would to a large degree have been given to me.

In America, I have seen my life take a radically different course. In college I became interested in literature and politics, and I resolved to make a career as a writer. I married a woman whose ancestry is English, French, Scotch-Irish, German and American Indian. In my twenties I found myself working as a policy analyst in the White House, even though I was not an American citizen. No other country, I am sure, would have permitted a foreigner to work in its inner citadel of government.

In most countries in the world, your fate and your identity are handed to you; in America, you determine them for yourself. America is a country where you get to write the script of your own life. Your life is like a blank sheet of paper, and you are the artist. This notion of being the architect of your own destiny is the incredibly powerful idea that is behind the worldwide appeal of America. Young people especially find irresistible the prospect of authoring the narrative of their own lives.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
DINESH D'SOUZA / 10 GREAT THINGS: WHAT TO LOVE ABOUT THE UNITED STATES
http://www.dineshdsouza.com/news/10-great-things-what-to-love-about-the-united-states/

...Not long ago, I asked myself, “What would my life have been like if I had never come to the United States?” If I had remained in India,...

Well Dinesh, if you would have stayed in India you wouldn't have been the President of The Kings College and asked to step down as the head of that Christian college because while you were still married, you checked into a hotel room with a woman other than your wife.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/19/n...-kings-college-president-in-scandal.html?_r=0

I believe God calls that "adultery" Dinesh.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Well Dinesh, if you would have stayed in India you wouldn't have been the President of Kings College and asked to step down as the head of that Christian college because while you were still married, you checked into a hotel room with a woman other than your wife.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/19/n...-kings-college-president-in-scandal.html?_r=0

Dinesh is a better man than you'll ever be.

Shouldn't you be looking for gay boogymen under your bed about now? Just be careful not to look in the mirror.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dinesh is a better man than you'll ever be.

Get it right CC:

"Unrepentant adulterer Dinesh Souza is a better man than you'll ever be."

Shouldn't you be looking for gay boogymen under your bed about now? Just be careful not to look in the mirror.

Let's not get started talking about the large scale pederasty in the Catholic Church CC, as it won't turn out to be a pretty conversation.

northwye

For those who have the contemporary dialectic mindset "...truth is found in the emerging synthesis" and "not found in the thesis nor the antithesis""according to Martin Luther King, Jr., Strength to Love.

That is,for those who think and speak by use of the dialectic, there is no absolute or unchanging truth. And there is no absolute or unchanging morality.

What makes a nation exceptional is an unchanging set of morals,which includes individual rights thought to be given by God. And behind that set of unchanging morals and individual rights is unchanging truth-which must come from God..

But since "truth is not found in the thesis nor the antithesis" there can be no unchanging truth and no unchanging morals or individual rights.

So,unchanging truth and unchanging morality and rights are lost when the multitude in the churches are not born again into the truth.

"And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 11. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: 12. That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness. Thessalonians2:10-12

theophilus

@op:

The words of the great American James Russell Lowell uttered years ago come to mind:

Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,—

Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,

Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.

America seems to be on a path to a death wish. Why? We are determined in the academy, in the arts, in politics, and in journalism to go it without God. We simply do not wish to have a moral law over and above us. We’re watching the world skidding out of control. There’s almost a lunacy afloat and it seems to begin with arrogant leadership. The world scene is more complex than ever, with no easy solutions.

Religious liberty, guaranteed in the scaffolding of the law, may well be heading to the scaffold because it represents a law above our laws. Moral reasoning may be suffocated and so-called “humanistic reason” will then choke the transcendent. We had better speak and make a choice before the torso of our fulfilled death wish is swinging in the wind as the mascot of an autonomous culture that will breed anarchy.

http://rzim.org/global-blog/the-scaffolding-or-the-scaffold-a-moment-and-our-destiny/

God made America great.

DavidK

There is only one kingdom that is truly great. The rest may have their moments, but they will all end up alligned against the true king when He returns.